Differences between the Remastered sets and the Singles?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Differences between the Remastered sets and the Singles?

Post by MetalMadness » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 am

I was curious to know the differences between FUNimation's Remastered sets and their Singles. I know that there was some dialogue added, some filters removed, some music changed, and a few recasts like Sabat's Vegeta in Season 3.

I'm also curious to know the differences in the movies. I noticed Broly had some sort of filter in the Singles Movie, but he doesn't have that filter in the Remastered set.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Re: Differences between the Remastered sets and the Singles?

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 am

MetalMadness wrote:I was curious to know the differences between FUNimation's Remastered sets and their Singles. I know that there was some dialogue added, some filters removed, some music changed, and a few recasts like Sabat's Vegeta in Season 3.
Just a few points:
- The singles are 4:3, the Remastered Sets are 16:9.
- For the dialog/music/voice actors stuff, that's the same from their previous release, the Ultimate Uncut releases. Unless you mean the singles released by Pioneer, which were the Ocean Dub voices.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:
MetalMadness wrote:I was curious to know the differences between FUNimation's Remastered sets and their Singles. I know that there was some dialogue added, some filters removed, some music changed, and a few recasts like Sabat's Vegeta in Season 3.
Just a few points:
- The singles are 4:3, the Remastered Sets are 16:9.
- For the dialog/music/voice actors stuff, that's the same from their previous release, the Ultimate Uncut releases. Unless you mean the singles released by Pioneer, which were the Ocean Dub voices.
I think he meant the snippets of dialogue that was re-recorded for the season sets.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:14 am

In the Remastered sets from episodes 68-291:

-Brice Armstrong replaced Dale Kelly as Captain Ginyu.
-Kyle Hebert replaced Dale Kelly as the Narrator.
-A few of Frieza's henchmen was redubbed, which was a great idea cause - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYJq1E1o0k
-Chris Sabat redubbed Vegeta till the Garlic Jr saga
-Linda Young redubbed Frieza till Frieza's final transformation
-Sonny Strait redubbed Krillin till Krillin's death
-Stephanie Nadolny redubbed Gohan till episode 79
-Laura Bailey replaced Ceyli Delgadillo as Dende
-Chris Sabat replaced Mark Britten as Burter in season 3
-John Burgmeier replaced Chris Cason as Tien in season 3
-Bill Townsley replaced Dylan Thompson as Guldo in season 3
-Chris Sabat redubbed some Yamcha lines in season 3
-Chris Sabat replaced Chris Cason as Mr. Popo in season 3
-Mike McFarland redubbed Master Roshi and Yajirobe in season 3
-Brad Jackson replaced Mark Britten as Oolong in season 3
-Chris Sabat replaced Mark Britten as Korin in season 3
-Leah Clark replaced Daphne Gere as Maron
-Brandon Potter replaced Mark Britten as Mustard
-J. Michael Tatum replaced Bart Myer as Spice
-Android 19's filter is removed
-Kyle Hebert replaced Mark Britten as Ox King
-Some sound effects were removed during the Imperfect Cell/Piccolo confrontation after the Piccolo/Android 17 fight
-Gohan was given a few extra lines during his beam struggle with Cell
-News interviewer that approaches Cell before Cell games was redubbed
-The Other World Tournament Announcer was redubbed
-Good Buu had a filter on some lines, the filter was removed
-Super Buu's voice filter was completely removed (personally I thought that was a bad idea)
-Goku was given a few extra lines in season 9, most noticeably: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO19rmDd_rA

I might have missed a few things but that is the majority of the changes in the Remastered sets.

As for the movies, like you mentioned, Broly's filter was removed. In the History of Trunks single some crappy rap song played during the credits, it was removed in the remastered version. In movie 5, the song called "The Game" by Disturbed originally has a muffled effect applied to it during Goku and Cooler fighting underwater, the muffled effect is gone in the remastered.

I believe that's it for the movies. I wouldn't be the least surprised if I missed a change or two.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 am

Codarik wrote: -A few of Freeza's henchmen was redubbed, which was a great idea cause - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYJq1E1o0k
Are you fucking kidding me? I thought the orange brick version of that line was the original because it was so poorly acted. I can't believe that the original was even worse than that. That's one of the most hilariously bad line deliveries I've heard in a long time! :lol:

The only redubbed henchmen that I noticed back when watching the "season 3" "redub" were those Kiwi look alikes during the filler scene where a bunch of Freeza's henchmen were getting readings of Goku and Freeza's battle powers on Namek, and the computer started exploding as a result. I think they both originally had relatively high pitched voices, but in the "redub" they had deeper voices and better deliveries.
Codarik wrote: I believe that's it for the movies. I wouldn't be the least surprised if I missed a change or two.
You forgot Karin's line in movie 5 about "what's a bean daddy" was replaced with a line about Gohan being a good kid, and it didn't even sound like it was Sabat who recorded that line.

Also, I don't think Yamucha was ever redubbed.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 am

Great list Codarik! :) You pretty much summed all of the dub changes quite well. I myself learned a few things that i didn't realize. The only other things I can contribute are just a few examples I noticed myself a while back..

- An inserted Vegeta line when he was charging up his Final Flash attack against perfect form Cell that was absent from the singles release - http://youtu.be/fzLXb1LMdxo?hd=1&t=2m57s (It was the first Vegeta line from where this clip should begin playing)

- Inserted dialogue in the minds of both Goku and Majin Vegeta during a well animated portion of their brawl. - http://youtu.be/RZSxN26u2UU?hd=1&t=44s (As a side note, it's interesting to point out that there was also dialogue present in the Japanese version of that scene, but not in the original dub release; something that opposed the usual conduct of the old-school FUNi dubbing - as they commonly inserted additional dialogue wherever they could squeeze it.)
Codarik wrote: In movie 5, the song called "The Game" by Disturbed originally has a muffled effect applied to it during Goku and Cooler fighting underwater, the muffled effect is gone in the remastered.
Not only was the muffled filter removed, but the entire song was in pieces! The audio files were scattered all over the place in the remastered set and was left without being fixed. The audio engineers really looked over that one in the remastering process :?
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?