Dragon Ball GT manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Dragon Ball GT manga

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm

What if someone wrote a manga based off of the general GT storyline, but removed all the inconsistency that made it completely ridiculous compared to the original Dragon Ball such as random alien body guards stronger than Frieza, Cell, and Buu, random space worms capable of hitting around Goku and Trunks, blowing up a planet being a big suprise, Goku not being able to lift a building easily, etc. So basically it would do what Kai did for Z, make all the characters as strong as they should have been, and would take out all the unnecessary things but would also make it make more sense to the canon manga. Like nerfing General Rilldo so he wasn't apparently stronger than Buu, and having someone weaker than Goku fight him. How would you think about that? A re-imagining of GT? Would you accept it as your continuation of the Dragon Ball manga if it was done well? If they made it make sense? I personally would like to be able to accept SS4, Omega Shenron, and the GT ending, since most of the official media does, this would allow me to.
Last edited by Nex Carnifex on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball GT manga

Post by Bussani » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Goku not being able to lift a building easily
Goku struggled with 40 tons while flying in the Buu arc. That's about the same as a house made of the lightest materials available.
Nex Carnifex wrote:Would you accept it as your continuation of the Dragon Ball manga? If they got rid off the shit that barely made sense?
I don't really have one continuation that I choose to accept above others. I'd definitely like to read this hypothetical manga, though. GT had some great ideas that just weren't executed very well. It has a lot of potential.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

It would be very interesting to see an official remake of GT in manga form (or any form, really), but I can't imagine any of the official companies wanting to put in that kind of effort.

There are a number of fan projects that are based around rewriting GT (such as Kaboom's GTR), but I don't know if any of them are comics.
-Rachel

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Bussani wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Goku not being able to lift a building easily
Goku struggled with 40 tons while flying in the Buu arc. That's about the same as a house made of the lightest materials available.
Nex Carnifex wrote:Would you accept it as your continuation of the Dragon Ball manga? If they got rid off the shit that barely made sense?
I don't really have one continuation that I choose to accept above others. I'd definitely like to read this hypothetical manga, though. GT had some great ideas that just weren't executed very well. It has a lot of potential.
I agree, GT could have easily been a sensible and acceptable continuation of Dragon Ball, just that some things were way to forced, like Ledgic who was just some random alien bodyguard but fought to a stand still Goku, who was legions above most of Z's enemies (who could casually destroy planets by the end). Stuff like that I can't accept.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:43 pm

GT serie is for the original manga like dropping a pile of toxic waste in a lake of clean water.

You can't filter toxic waste, you must throw it completely away. The same way, you can't make GT acceptable.

Anyway, is GT necessary? It doesn't really add anything to the story. It has villains and arcs that doesn't change affect the subsequent storyline. Besides there isn't any new character added to the cast, while the original manga added Piccolo, Goku had children, etc.

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:What if someone wrote a manga based off of the general GT storyline, but removed all the inconsistency that made it completely ridiculous compared to the original Dragon Ball such as random alien body guards stronger than Freeza, Cell, and Buu, random space worms capable of hitting around Goku and Trunks, blowing up a planet being a big suprise, Goku not being able to lift a building easily, etc. So basically it would do what Kai did for Z, make all the characters as strong as they should have been, and would take out all the unnecessary things but would also make it make more sense to the canon manga. Like nerfing General Rilldo so he wasn't apparently stronger than Buu, and having someone weaker than Goku fight him. How would you think about that? A re-imagining of GT? Would you accept it as your continuation of the Dragon Ball manga if it was done well? If they made it make sense? I personally would like to be able to accept SS4, Omega Shenron, and the GT ending, since most of the official media does, this would allow me to.
Kaboom has a really fantastic fic called GT: Revised. Its very well written, and I would definitely recommend. You'd be just in time for the behemoth that is going to be Chapter 13.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Fox666 wrote:GT serie is for the original manga like dropping a pile of toxic waste in a lake of clean water.

You can't filter toxic waste, you must throw it completely away. The same way, you can't make GT acceptable.

Anyway, is GT necessary? It doesn't really add anything to the story. It has villains and arcs that doesn't change affect the subsequent storyline. Besides there isn't any new character added to the cast, while the original manga added Piccolo, Goku had children, etc.
Your comparsion is flawed, basically because GT is not a total toxic waste. It had a lot of potential. If their execution was a little bit better and remove some ridiculous stuff like Gohan being SSJ or SSJ Goku's power, then GT would be much more awesome. To this end, I actually like GT more than Z.

Anyway, if there's going to be a manga version of GT, it's gotta be Kaboom's GTR.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:51 am

I saw some Japanese Dojinshi from the time when the GT start off in Japan.
I have some scans of it if anybody is interested. It looks a lot like Toriyama and I have slight
doubt that lot of frames were collages made from the original manga with some touch-ups.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:So basically it would do what Kai did for Z, make all the characters as strong as they should have been,
:?: When did Kai ever do that?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Your comparsion is flawed, basically because GT is not a total toxic waste. It had a lot of potential. If their execution was a little bit better and remove some ridiculous stuff like Gohan being SSJ or SSJ Goku's power, then GT would be much more awesome. To this end, I actually like GT more than Z.

Anyway, if there's going to be a manga version of GT, it's gotta be Kaboom's GTR.
The problem of GT is not just the plot-holes and nonsense. It has a poor story-line. The characters lack their personalities. Besides the manga is one of the most comical series, while GT is full of unfunny jokes for 4-years old kids.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:57 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:So basically it would do what Kai did for Z, make all the characters as strong as they should have been,
:?: When did Kai ever do that?
Only think I can think of is how they axed the "Ginyu-guys-on-Kaiou's-planet" filler, which is one of the biggest "no way the characters are this strong" moment in Z.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 pm

This is what I posted in another forum.
I will keep the Baby Saga and tweak the Super 17 saga and Dragons Saga, in fact I will start with the Super 17 saga, but with better fights of course.

Pan vs Frieza
Super Perfect Cell vs Piccolo
Goku,Gohan and Vegeta go to hell to face a monster created by Babidi and Bibidi, which is way stronger than Buu, and Goku cant use instant transmission to get out of there.

Hell fighter 17 is created by Gero and is supposed to be stronger than 17.
First have 17(the original) beat Yamcha and Krillin easily, then Hell fighter 17 comes and they fuse and Super 17 being born.

Trunks,Goten and Uub fight him.

This is how I would write the first episodes of GT, with most of the characters doing something instead of just being all centered in Goku.

For the Dragons Saga, just keep the last 3 Dragons designs/characters. And Omega Shenron is beating by the combined attacks of Uub,Gotenks and Gogeta(no Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta)
A great start for GT.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Kind of like how Salagir rewrote the Broly movie to fit, someone should rewrite GT to fit, nerf characters that don't deserve to be above Freeza or Cell or Buu you know what I mean? Fix inconsistencies with power levels and take out the terrible humor. Then we'd have a more acceptable vision of the future of Dragon Ball.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Kind of like how Salagir rewrote the Broly movie to fit, someone should rewrite GT to fit, nerf characters that don't deserve to be above Freeza or Cell or Buu you know what I mean? Fix inconsistencies with power levels and take out the terrible humor. Then we'd have a more acceptable vision of the future of Dragon Ball.
I think if they did that, they should be more concerned with making a good series. You can forgive a lot if the final product is good.

And there's always GTR though...

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:39 pm

There is a chinese Dragon Ball GT manga

Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Hm, the fights might actually look better in "manga version" since they were so badly animated...

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:02 pm

sangofe wrote:Hm, the fights might actually look better in "manga version" since they were so badly animated...
That's nosense, like all the DB series, GT had different animation teams, bad and good.
And here is scans of the first volume (no comments xD):
http://comic.dragonballcn.com:1080/list ... id=0-4-0-1
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:39 pm

So what exactly is this Chinese GT comic? Something a fan made that got decently popular? Something some Chinese company made for the hell of it? Was it authorized? I'm mildly curious.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Dude...fan made or not...I want that manga, haha. I've always seen scans around, but wasn't sure where they came from.

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:17 pm

It's totally unnofficial of course, and not legal. The series ended on the baby saga because that.