Episode #0274 (09 October 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0274 (09 October 2011)

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Cipher wrote:The muscular "super" Boo obviously retained that by absorbing fat Boo. When they remove fat Boo, that's the first time the second Boo has absolutely no connection to the Kaioshin, or any absorbees, anymore. And so he goes back to blank slate mode.
...People were actually confused about this? Even factoring out the Kaioshins, Fat Buu caused grey Buu to evolve, which implies that removing him from Super Buu wouldn't necessarily cause a simple downgrade back to grey Buu.
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:17 pm

dbgtFO wrote:What you wrote is pretty much how I see it. The only problem I have is Mr. Buu co existing with the original unaltered Buu.
Why? Mr. Boo is the original Boo, with all the Kaioshin still absorbed/integrated into him, or what have you.

What we see as the "original, unlatered Boo," is just the second Boo reverted back to the original template. Not sure why you'd have a problem with that. Of all the things the series does or doesn't make clear about the character, this one is pretty straightforward.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Cipher wrote:Also, really looking forward to the GT review, as I'm a huge fan of the series. It does reference several anime-only plot points though. The Tsufuru-Saiyan conflict, the sacred water originally used in the Garlic Jr. arc, the entire anime-interpretation of Hell, etc. I can't help but wonder if Jeff will notice or question those. You'll definitely want to clue him in.
- They did a Garlic Jr. arc review of awesomeness in the podcast too.
- The GT interpretation of Hell is massively different from the Z anime interpretation.
- The Tsufrian/Saiyan conflict was completely (re-)explained in GT anyway.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Puto wrote:- They did a Garlic Jr. arc review of awesomeness in the podcast too.
Ah, wasn't aware of that. I'll have to go listen to that. What episode is it?
- The GT interpretation of Hell is massively different from the Z anime interpretation.
Er, not really. Sure, Hell looks different (or it takes place in a different part of Hell), and the villains don't have halos. But all the other elements, the track-suit-wearing Oni, etc., are carried over from Z. Maybe Jeff has been peripherally introduced to it by now, but imagine seeing Hell in GT without having witnessed any of its Z appearances first. It'd be even more jarring.
- The Tsufrian/Saiyan conflict was completely (re-)explained in GT anyway.
Again, this is sort of the same thing as Hell. I suppose you don't need prior knowledge of the Tsufuruians going into it, but it seems even more baffling without it. It's like watching the Android arc without having seen the Red Ribbon Army arc. It still works, but it loses a lot of context.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:47 pm

I saw the length of the episode (I'm playing catch-up on the podcast) and I was like, "What are they gonna do, let us listen to them eat cake for an hour?" Very pleased though; I've only been following off and on since the beginning of the Buu arc, but I'll have to listen from the very first episode now. Probably try to read along, too, as I'm in the same boat as Meri...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:39 pm

It might be in bad taste for me to bump this (although, hey, it's still on the first page!), but I'm playing Podcast Catch-Up right now, and I just got to this episode and has to share my thoughts/wax sentimental. I always looked forward to the Manga Review of Awesomeness every month for years. I can't believe it continued on for over five years (for me =P). Many a weekend I would listen to the new episode in college. I remember following along with my copy of Volume 15 while waiting for my cues at tech rehearsal for the very last show I did in college. Hard to believe that was four years ago now. It's been almost like following the manga as it was originally released. I mean, it did take nearly half as long! So good job for the dedication to that. I loved the spin of having Jeff provide a fresh perspective. It's not hard to see why this segment was so beloved and why it will be missed. Thank you, Daizenshuu EX: The Podcast (the old name does still apply here).

On that note, I can't wait to dive into the GT Review of Awesomeness!