Weird quote from gamespy.com

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Weird quote from gamespy.com

Post by sangofe » Fri May 13, 2005 11:08 am

Sorry for starting this a new thread, but I doubt it had gotten much attention if I had not.

hmm
this is a weird quote from gamespy.com
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/dr ... 845p2.html

"The fourth Budokai has a roster of over 60 characters -- which is freakin' huge for any franchise, and easily the largest of a Dragon Ball game. There are even characters from the next Dragon Ball, as yet unreleased in the U.S."

-FROM THE NEXT DRAGONBALL??
WTF?

Edit: I guess this guy is speaking about the Dragonball movies that are not out in USA?

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Fri May 13, 2005 11:11 am

They probably meant DBZ movie 12.....

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri May 13, 2005 12:01 pm

Gamespy wrote:There are even characters from the next Dragon Ball, as yet unreleased in the U.S."
They really need to work on the way they reference things, since that quote alone could give validation to the masses of "AF" preaching morons who believe it honestly exists.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 pm

LoL. Its gamespy, what do you expect? ;)

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri May 13, 2005 12:06 pm

Good point, but you would think that with a franchise like DragonBall the last thing they would want to do is pander to the audience.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Fri May 13, 2005 12:32 pm

Its primirally about PC games though isint it? So the Dragonball franchise would not be very well known to them. Hell even if they were console only it wouldent, though they sell very well DBZ games are never very noteworthy.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri May 13, 2005 5:36 pm

lost in thought wrote:Good point, but you would think that with a franchise like DragonBall the last thing they would want to do is pander to the audience.
Magazines and online web sites constantly make mistakes when discussing the Dragonball franchise. Even with how popular it is, how many games they've reviewed etc, they still seemingly have no idea what they're talking about. It's sad, because it really isn't THAT hard to understand what's going on in Dragonball.

The only exception seems to be IGN, they're surprisingly good with DB references.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri May 13, 2005 6:02 pm

Well, actually Teal, from the outside looking in.... DB's pure Chaos at several points. Seriously, if you knew NOTHING about the series and we shown Budokai 3 (sans DU) would you have the faintest clue what was happening? Most of these sites have many, many, many people doing the reviews. So most likely, the review for Sagas or Sparking! or B3 didn't do any other DB games. It's their sole exposure. IGN seems to be the inteligent ones and use the same person for a series of games...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri May 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Xyex wrote:Well, actually Teal, from the outside looking in.... DB's pure Chaos at several points. Seriously, if you knew NOTHING about the series and we shown Budokai 3 (sans DU) would you have the faintest clue what was happening? Most of these sites have many, many, many people doing the reviews. So most likely, the review for Sagas or Sparking! or B3 didn't do any other DB games. It's their sole exposure. IGN seems to be the inteligent ones and use the same person for a series of games...
Still, I find DB is easier to slip into then other anime series.

Still, in regards to Gamespy, they seem to be pretty bad when it comes to DBZ knowledge. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they the ones who talked about fighting Android 16 on Planet Namek in Sagas?

Then there's OPM, who constantly mentions 'KAMAHAMAHA' in all their previews/reviews of DBZ games. Seriously, it's practically the title for every DBZ article they make, and in their review of Budokai 2 they said something along the lines of -

'Matches basically boil down to whoever can bust out the most kamahamahas first.'
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Fri May 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Well they we're almost correct.

Matches boiled down to who could hit: square, square, triangle, triangle, circle. The most times

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Fri May 13, 2005 8:15 pm

Don't forget EGM, who proudly proclaimed Piccolo a Super Saiyan.

Yeah... he's green, guys. And... you know... the Dallybobs? Pointy ears?

Here's an idea: if you don't know that much about something, don't bother SAYING ANYTHING about it. If I wrote a review about a football game, I would try to stick to the game as much as possible and not flaunt my blatant ignorance of football for all to read in publicized form.

It's also evident that game magazines couldn't give a damn about DBZ. EGM didn't even bother reviewing Budoukai 3, claiming that it was "no Soul Calibur" (of course the next month they go on to say they have the responsibility of reviewing ANY game that will probably sell well...). Most of them also try to make it as abundantly clear to the reader as possible that they HATE Dragonball Z. This is a little immature: Dragonball fans don't want to read about the ignorant biases of some cocky jerk we've never met who obviously hasn't watched the show (due to his insistance that Evangelion or some other wacky thing is the greatest anime EVER).

Gamepro is the only monthly organ that seems to care, but they also treat their readers like 4 year-olds.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri May 13, 2005 8:39 pm

Notice how the ones who hate Dragon Ball have watched the dub. >_>

Anyway, reviewers hold biases. It's a fact of life. If someone made a game about something I hate, like, for example, running around in first person shooting people, I'm not going to give it a high score. :P

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Fri May 13, 2005 9:02 pm

But it's inventive gameplay (and context) that matters! Gaming can't evolve if it's restricted to toys. Mature content allows for the medium to grow and expand, like film (no, not like television... television will never evolve). And while, yes, most violent games and films are terrible, overrated, and not at all innovative (for example: True Crime: Streets of L.A. and Tarantino movies), violent or otherwise "disturbing" games and films can be milestones (for example: Resident Evil 4 and Requiem for a Dream).

And no, I don't think biases should just be expected inevitable consequences of something written by a human being. I play games with a completely open mind, while gaming magazine reviewers make it painfully obvious what games are based on beloved material (Madden), hated material (DBZ), or what they were paid to give the benefit of the doubt (Offical Playstation Magazine's review of Samurai Jack, which they admitted was a mediocre game, but granted it a high score anyway because they claimed it followed the source material, which apparently was a point that worked against the equally mediocre Budoukai 2, reviewed around the same time- that wouldn't be SO odd if OPM hadn't run an article in the issue before called "Why Samurai Jack will be a great game").
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Sat May 14, 2005 7:05 am

And while, yes, most violent games and films are terrible, overrated, and not at all innovative (for example: True Crime: Streets of L.A. and Tarantino movies)
I dont want to throw this thread off-topic but you are incorrect about True Crime oponok. Very incorrect. In my opinion anyway

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Sat May 14, 2005 12:59 pm

tealsmith wrote: Still, in regards to Gamespy, they seem to be pretty bad when it comes to DBZ knowledge. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they the ones who talked about fighting Android 16 on Planet Namek in Sagas?
Actually, tealsmith, it was Gamepro magazine that made that mistake. I have it right in front of me. It might've also been Gamespy, but I'm not sure. I know that Gamepro made that mistake in their "Sagas" preview. I was surprised.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Sat May 14, 2005 9:38 pm

It probably also has something to do with the fact that basically every single DBZ game ever made has had only very limited or no appeal to people who are not fans of the series.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun May 15, 2005 3:06 pm

Let's just hope that some fanboy won't take that quote as more "evidence" of AF. >.>;;