What time slot did DBZ originally air in Japan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

What time slot did DBZ originally air in Japan?

Post by urhash » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:25 am

See subject...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:30 am

I believe it was on at 8:30 p.m. on Thursdays on either TVTokyo or Fuji Television, I'm not sure which. When it finally ended, One Piece was it's replacemant.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:33 am

Wednesdays I think (Bardock special was Wednesday October 27th or 17th). The things you remember when you're brain dries up... :shock:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:35 am

Ya, now that I think about it, I believe it was Wednesdays. Hey! Stop correcting me and get back to your essay! :x

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What time slot did DBZ originally air in Japan?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:36 am

urhash wrote:What time slot did DBZ originally air in Japan?
I shall respond thusly:
The Daizenshuu EX Newbie Guide wrote:The first DragonBall episode aired in Japan on February 26, 1986. ... The show would air every Wednesday at 7 pm on the Fuji Television network.
Note that this goes for all three TV series. The run of the show would only occasionally be interrupted by special presentations by the TV network, holidays (such as they are in Japan), and the TV specials. But it was pretty consistent, overall, and there were no breaks between "seasons" like there are in "Western" television.

So... I believe that answers your question. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:40 am

Show-off. :x :P Although it's amazing how they can keep a show at the same day and time for 10 years, when over here a show'll sometimes be moved around at least twice in 6 months. :?

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:44 am

I can't believe they got to watch DBZ in prime time. =D

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:49 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Show-off. :x :P Although it's amazing how they can keep a show at the same day and time for 10 years, when over here a show'll sometimes be moved around at least twice in 6 months. :?
True, true. And I can show off more, actually... The last episode of DB was April 19th, 1989, with the first episode of DBZ following the next week on April 26th. The last episode of DBZ was January 31st, 1996, followed by the first episode of DBGT on February 7th. DBGT's last episode was November 19th, 1997. These were, of course, all Wednesdays at 7:00 pm. :D
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:56 am

*cringes from the light of DB knowledge eminating from SaiyaJedi* Okay, okay! I admit it! You are the champion! *Queen's "We Are The Champions" starts playing in the background*

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:56 am

Okay, while we're on the topic of obscure knowledge... ;)

Does anyone know how much each episode costed to make? I mean, I hear Simpsons is like $1 million an episode, and that animation is nowhere near as dense and lively as DBZ...

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:42 pm

The only reason the Simpsons costs that much is because it's such a "hit", and the people behind the scenes are likely demanding a lot of money from Fox.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:23 pm

urhash wrote:Does anyone know how much each episode costed to make? I mean, I hear Simpsons is like $1 million an episode, and that animation is nowhere near as dense and lively as DBZ...
I'm not sure I quite agree with that. Japanese cartoons have a thing (like Western live action shows) of saving money in lots of places so that they can afford to splash out on special occassions. So, if they have a kick arse fight coming up, the episode before is likely to have lots of static animation. Check out the first episode after the first World Tornament...the animation is rubbish.

Even apart from that, characters in western shows tend to be much more...animated, than in Japanese cartoons. Which no doubt accounts for their higher budget, and why so few episodes are made per year. Pay attention next time you watch Dragonball, and see how long they keep up static poses compared to something like, say, Teen Titans. Or the aformentioned Simpsons.

As it is, that $1 an episode won't include actor's fees, as the voice artists on the Simpsons are probably the only people working in that field who make any sort of decent money. I think they're on 1/2 to 1 million an ep, and that's only because they threatened to quit.

And yes, that sounds like a lot. But compare that to the cast of Friends. Or indeed, to how much money the show makes.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:57 pm

Yes I agree with what you say Psy, about Japanese animation having a lot of static in it to save money, but because of that, the animation has a lot more detail, especially in the backgrounds. :)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:27 pm

It is the detail thing that makes the difference. When the 90s Batman cartoon was being made, they tried to keep the detail on every character down to a minimum, because a single added line would have to be drawn thousands of times per episode. They reasoned that less detail would allow for better animation.

Whereas anime almost goes in the other direction...all those folds on characters clothing must be a nightmare to animate.

As to the backgrounds, I always wondered how much they reuse them. Did they keep background shots of the Kame house handy for future use? And considering the number of forests that the kids seem to visit on Pokemon, you'd think they'd received a load of forest backgrounds in the mail and were desperate to use them.

Even then, with western shows it varies massively the detail of the background, both on money and general "style". Obviously something like X-Men: Evolution is going to have more "painting" style backgrounds than Dexter's Lab.

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:37 pm

That's a good point Psyliam.

If you watch a DBZ ep enough times, you start to notice where they save on the animation... particularly all those shaking, greeting teeth scenes by the heroes and villains. :lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:24 pm

Psyliam wrote:
Obviously something like X-Men Evolution is going to have more "painting" style backgrounds than Dexter's Lab.
Ya, but I like Dexter's Lab more! As a matter fact, I actually hate the show X-Men Evolution.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:10 pm

I hated it's premise, and the drastic changes to the characters. I mean, Rogue as a goth? WTF?

But then it goes and starts being all well-written and stuff. Damn it.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:56 pm

Well, you will notice how many times they go back to that desert canyon land for fights in DBZ. I mean, they had an excuse for it but there's still gotta be more safe places to fight than that!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:39 pm

Yeah!! Like why didn't they fight in the arctic? Hunh? HUNH?!

As for X-Men evolution, did anybody else hate the Apocalypse arc? WTF was with making Xavier a horseman??! And extra powerful on top of it? How could JUST Jean take out Xavier at full power?! RRRAARRGH!!!

Anyhoo, is there going to be a sequel series or not because I want more X-Men.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:09 am

Yeah, the reason I don't like it is because they went and made all the characters teenagers and yeah they especially messed around with Rogue. I want the old, campy 90's series baaaack! :cry: Where Rogue was her usual laid-back "southern" self. I mean, have you ever heard of a "southern Goth"? I don't like how they've made Rogue all wimpy in the movies either, but I can live with it and I'm hoping they will strengthen her character slowly. But let me tell you one thing, they better put her with Gambit or, or, or, just they'd better! :x