Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:43 pm

ChampionofTime wrote:
Raditz is overly ignorant. He assumes what he doesn't know. Goku doesn't want to be with his brother. He's a naive goof ball who likes fighting and being a family man. Raditz doesn't realise Goku was raised a human not a Saiyajin/Saiyan. That's like if you raise a Korean in Japan. They're still Korean, but are Japanese raised. Or a Japanese raised in South Korea. Do you get it?
Yes and I think Justin Cook conveyed that rather well without overacting.

Oh and on a side note in your signature shouldn't it be insect instead of incest?
Well I'm not a big fan of Justin Cook, but I will respect your opinion. And, yeah it should be insect.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

First off, Chris Sabat is a terrific actor. That man has improved leagues above his original performances in 1999. Check out some of his later work in Speed Grapher, Sgt. Frog, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran Host Club, and many more. He's also a fantastic director.

Same with Justin Cook. Yeah, his part as Raditz is rather hammy and over the top, but... well, I'm going to be honest. Raditz isn't very subtle anyway. Lots of yelling, boasting. He's actually rather boring most of the time too, he's just... there to cause conflict. Cook did his best to make him interesting, in my opinion. Same with Chiba.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:First off, Chris Sabat is a terrific actor. That man has improved leagues above his original performances in 1999. Check out some of his later work in Speed Grapher, Sgt. Frog, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran Host Club, and many more. He's also a fantastic director.

Same with Justin Cook. Yeah, his part as Raditz is rather hammy and over the top, but... well, I'm going to be honest. Raditz isn't very subtle anyway. Lots of yelling, boasting. He's actually rather boring most of the time too, he's just... there to cause conflict. Cook did his best to make him interesting, in my opinion. Same with Chiba.
Sabat has improved a lot, but I wouldn't sat he's a great actor. He's decent at very best and that's pushing it.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:40 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:First off, Chris Sabat is a terrific actor. That man has improved leagues above his original performances in 1999. Check out some of his later work in Speed Grapher, Sgt. Frog, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran Host Club, and many more. He's also a fantastic director.

Sabat has improved a lot, but I wouldn't sat he's a great actor. He's decent at very best and that's pushing it.
Then you obviously haven't seen a lot of his serious and comedic work in the last few years. Honest to God, it sounds like you've got a bias against him and the only real performance you've paid any attention to of his is his DragonBall work. Same with Cook.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrVfexIp ... re=related
Watch from 1:04-1:07 and tell me he's not overacting man.
You know, for being named "Unbiased"DBZfan, that was a rather biased video from, given all the videos, a rather biased account.

Look, you're more than welcome to have preferred actors, portrayals, etc. But, when discussing quality of roles, you gotta separate personal taste from an unbiased view at the actor's level of ability. I don't really like most of the Ocean Dub of Z, but I do recognize that they've got a number of skilled actors that have done wonderful work, even if I think their dub of Z wasn't their best work.

Just as I did like the Funi version of Z, yet I recognize it was when the actors were at a low point in their acting career in terms of experience and skill (it went from love to guilty pleasure). It's why I prefer the Kai version, because they have greatly improved in acting ability, and the overall dub is attempting a much more accurate adaptation.

For Ocean, while I'm not as big a fan as I was initially, I still like what a lot of the actors did later on (I liked Ian Corlett as Bob in Seasons 3-4 of Reboot, for instance).

Chris Sabat, Sean Schemmel, Justin Cook, these guys went from limited experience in voice acting in their first role to talented, experienced voice actors, who knew how to convey the roles they were given, with the right direction.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Check out some of his later work in Sgt. Frog
*Watches*

My Lord the anime is so much better than the manga.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 am

penguintruth wrote:Looks like most of us agree that Chris Sabat has had the most improvement in his roles.
Indeed. And by extension, it looks like most of us agree that Chris Ayres stole the show among the new actors.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:40 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Looks like most of us agree that Chris Sabat has had the most improvement in his roles.
Indeed. And by extension, it looks like most of us agree that Chris Ayres stole the show among the new actors.
Chris Ayres is a good voice actor. He's way better then Linda 'Chain Smoker' Young and Pauline 'Ball Caresser' Newstone. I would have preferred Andrew Chandler as Freeza, but it's still better then all the English Freeza's expect for Big Green Freeza(I am not joking, I love that voice. Fave Big Green voice). Chris Sabat on the other hand, needs to quit acting. He makes Piccolo and Vegeta boring!

This is what it is(Piccolo)
Toshio Furukawa: Cool and calm voice. Serious when he needs to be and his voice has life to it. Is very cunning as well
Scott McNeil: Same as before, but not as calm. However that is backed up, by his awesome voice.
Sabat Z: 1999-2000. Really, really bad Scott McNeil impersonation and also has hints of the Cookie Monster. Season 5-9 has a voice comparable to an grunting ogre and is very, very boring sounding
Sabat voice from Dragon Ball- still has an ogre voice, but is less deep. Still boring

Vegeta
Ryo Horikawa: smug, confident and has the voice of a person who wants to surpass Goku. Not fond of screaming though.
Brain Drummond: a lot more high pitched then Ryo, but is generally the same character. His screams are beastly! No his voice does not lose its touch in the Boo arc. Only Funi Z tards say that.
Sabat Z 1999. Don't need to explain
Sabat 2000-2006. A constipated, chain smoking Vegeta who sounds more like a generic musclehead from WWE and less like the Elite Saiyan.
Sabat Kai: Screams have improved ten fold, but still has a problem with his throat. It still bugs me. Ugh!!

All in all Sabat is still awful and Ayres is the third best Freeza overall and the second best English Freeza. Nuff said.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:27 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote: Vegeta
Ryo Horikawa: smug, confident and has the voice of a person who wants to surpass Goku. Not fond of screaming though.
Brain Drummond: a lot more high pitched then Ryo, but is generally the same character. His screams are beastly! No his voice does not lose its touch in the Boo arc. Only Funi Z tards say that.
Sabat Kai: Screams have improved ten fold, but still has a problem with his throat. It still bugs me. Ugh!!
I don't know how you can praise Drummond and McNeil's voices so much, yet say Sabat's gruff annoys you. Sabat's voice is silky smooth compared to the other two. Saying that Drummond's take on Vegeta is the same character as Horikawa's is a lie. Drummond has the intensity and the arrogance, but that's it. That, and the voice is just ridiculous. McNeil's in a similar boat. His demon voice simplifies the character, but since he's a great actor, he's able to make it sound cool for where it'll work.

While Vegeta, Piccolo, and Freeza likely have my favorite voices in the Japanese version, Sabat and Ayres are respectable representations, and the best English versions of the characters we have.
Last edited by batistabus on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:29 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Chris Ayres is a good voice actor. He's way better then Linda 'Chain Smoker' Young and Pauline 'Ball Caresser' Newstone. I would have preferred Andrew Chandler as Freeza, but it's still better then all the English Freeza's expect for Big Green Freeza(I am not joking, I love that voice. Fave Big Green voice). Chris Sabat on the other hand, needs to quit acting. He makes Piccolo and Vegeta boring!

Toshio Furukawa: Cool and calm voice. Serious when he needs to be and his voice has life to it. Is very cunning as well
Scott McNeil: Same as before, but not as calm. However that is backed up, by his awesome voice.
Sabat Z: 1999-2000. Really, really bad Scott McNeil impersonation and also has hints of the Cookie Monster. Season 5-9 has a voice comparable to an grunting ogre and is very, very boring sounding
Sabat voice from Dragon Ball- still has an ogre voice, but is less deep. Still boring

Vegeta
Sabat 2000-2006. A constipated, chain smoking Vegeta who sounds more like a generic musclehead from WWE and less like the Elite Saiyan.

All in all Sabat is still awful and Ayres is the third best Freeza overall and the second best English Freeza. Nuff said.
I'll admit, you're getting better...kinda...sorta.

It's good that you're at least trying to explain why you believe those voices are bad. But, the way you compare is very close-minded. Using generalizations and insulting the other voices and those who like them not only makes your argument look bad but also yourself. Excluding things like Drummond and Horikawa sounding similar and the such, you're also not making a good case for why they're bad actors. You're more voicing displeasure for the voice itself and not the actor or the performance. I find many to be inappropriate but that doesn't make 'em inherently bad. And especially now in Kai, they are miles better.

Speaking of inappropriate, Chandler played Coola, correct? You'd rather have him for Freeza? Really? You always send mixed signals about your tastes (see batistabus's post).

But most importantly, you clearly haven't seen any of Sabat's other work. If you want him outta of DB, fine. But don't say voice acting, his other work is more than enough to justify that.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Chris Sabat on the other hand, needs to quit acting. He makes Piccolo and Vegeta boring!
I'm starting to think that stupid troll face in your avatar is a hint at your true motives here.

Either that, or you're still talking about his fixed performances in DragonBall, which were NEVER GOING TO CHANGE regardless of the director thanks to how ingrained he is in those parts, as if that's all he's got to his credit. You're also making it sound like that qualifies him as a "bad actor". In which case, you're completely misinformed and talking out your backside.

Oh, and Drummond's Vegeta lost it's touch HARDCORE post Freeza saga. Not really Drummond's fault, it was a rush and flawed product that never had a chance at being a real continuation of Ocean dubbing DragonBall Z. And that's coming from someone who loves those actors, not some "Z FUNi tard".

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:11 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Chris Ayres is a good voice actor. He's way better then Linda 'Chain Smoker' Young and Pauline 'Ball Caresser' Newstone. I would have preferred Andrew Chandler as Freeza, but it's still better then all the English Freeza's expect for Big Green Freeza(I am not joking, I love that voice. Fave Big Green voice). Chris Sabat on the other hand, needs to quit acting. He makes Piccolo and Vegeta boring!

Vegeta

I'll admit, you're getting better...kinda...sorta.

It's good that you're at least trying to explain why you believe those voices are bad. But, the way you compare is very close-minded. Using generalizations and insulting the other voices and those who like them not only makes your argument look bad but also yourself. Excluding things like Drummond and Horikawa sounding similar and the such, you're also not making a good case for why they're bad actors. You're more voicing displeasure for the voice itself and not the actor or the performance. I find many to be inappropriate but that doesn't make 'em inherently bad. And especially now in Kai, they are miles better.

Speaking of inappropriate, Chandler played Coola, correct? You'd rather have him for Freeza? Really? You always send mixed signals about your tastes (see batistabus's post).

But most importantly, you clearly haven't seen any of Sabat's other work. If you want him outta of DB, fine. But don't say voice acting, his other work is more than enough to justify that.
I've heard him as Zoro(Don't watch One Piece, but have heard his voice) and it is exactly the same as Piccolo's from Dragon Ball 2003. No difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6WEQGubpzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ohUxhPb ... ideo_title

Also Chandler would make an excellent Cooler. All he would have to do is give Freeza a considerably less deep voice, which is what Ryusei Nakao did with Cooler. And the reason Sabat is a crap voice actor is because of how he portrays Piccolo/Vegeta. Piccolo supposed to have that demon like, wicked edge type(not copying Penguin truth description) of personality who can switch from being calm to angry in a second. Sabat's 'angry' Piccolo is just grunting, which should not be how you express anger(well all of the time anyway). Sabat's Vegeta is also bad, because he doesn't have the smugness, the pride needed to play the Vegeta character. While the original English voices were also lacking on some features of the Japanese cast they'd retained the main features into their own, unique ways. I'm not saying this just because Scott McNeil and Drummond are 2 of my favourite actors. I'm saying this because they represent what their respective characters are about. They give their spin on the characters and it fits dammit! Chris Sabat's New Vegeta is meh, because it retains hints of smoker's lung and Vegeta isn't about that sorry. I could go on with Piccolo, but I won't. Sabat is the most improved, but still the worst. Remember, back in 2000 when the voice acting was 'meh' at best? Eric Vale was by far the strongest voice performance at the time with Mirai No Trunks(Future trunks) and yet he got worse in Kai. Is he better then Sabat still? Yes he is, because he portrays Trunks in a polite manner with comrades, yet merciless with his foes. He could overact(not to the extent of a Certain person who's name shall not be mentioned) but still it was a good voice nonetheless. Same with Dameon Clarke. At least their initial performances were the shit anyway! Sabat doesn't do this and it's lead me to believe that Sabat isn't a great voice actor. You could say I'm only familiar with his Z work however, I am really only familiar Keanu Reeves' work as Neo, yet he is a horrendous actor! The point is, that Sabat doesn't make his character voices believable, realistic and most of all the voices are boring. Heard of Ted Cole? His Turles is creepy, calculating and the voice was very fitting. He made Turles a believable villian, who just wanted to see the fruit of the Shinseiju to become unstoppable. That is a good voice actor. Not Sabat.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:19 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:All of this BS.
Yeah, you know what? You're just talking out of your ass at this point. We've constantly tried to tell you why your assessment of Sabat as an ACTOR is flawed and you just won't correct yourself. Furthermore, no. That is not the same voice as Piccolo's from DragonBall. Same pitch, but not nearly as gruff, not the same tone. Not to even MENTION that, that voice SUITS ZORO. You're just wrong.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:31 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:All of this BS.
Yeah, you know what? You're just talking out of your ass at this point. We've constantly tried to tell you why your assessment of Sabat as an ACTOR is flawed and you just won't correct yourself. Furthermore, no. That is not the same voice as Piccolo's from DragonBall. Same pitch, but not nearly as gruff, not the same tone. Not to even MENTION that, that voice SUITS ZORO. You're just wrong.
Well that's my review of Sabat anyway. How do you think I felt when I saw these biased DBZUncensored guys saying only bad things about Moive 5's dub? Why shouldn't I be biased against something that I'm not a big fan of? Well at least I say some good things about Sabat which puts me a step up that website. Example I said his Vegeta is much less deep sounding and better screams. I also said Piccolo's voice is a lot smoother and less deep sounding though I don't like it overall, at least it's something!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Ignoring everything else you said in that wall of text, the voices he uses are not the same at all. If you wanted to make a comparison, try modern Piccolo vs Zoro. Not that I have a problem with how the voices sound, and they are different, but they definitely sound more similar than that.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Why shouldn't I be biased against something that I'm not a big fan of?
So you can recognize what was done right, improved upon, etc.?

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Why shouldn't I be biased against something that I'm not a big fan of?
So you can recognize what was done right, improved upon, etc.?
I'll admit that the difference between Sabat's Z roles and his Kai roles are the difference between Broly(under SPC) and Boohan(strongest villain in DB until about Bebi Vegeta), but still even with that jump he still hasn't quite made it. He is better, I will not deny that, but let me say this. Sabat just doesn't make his characters sound believable IMHO. You can disagree if you want and I will respect you, because I'm like that. But Sabat isn't that great. He's probably one of the worst voice actors in Funi right now. And most Funi actors are really good now, so he's not bad, he's just the odd one out.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:I'll admit that the difference between Sabat's Z roles and his Kai roles are the difference between Broly(under SPC) and Boohan(strongest villain in DB until about Bebi Vegeta), but still even with that jump he still hasn't quite made it.
What...
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:He is better, I will not deny that, but let me say this. Sabat just doesn't make his characters sound believable IMHO. You can disagree if you want and I will respect you, because I'm like that.
DBZ characters, maybe, and that's only Vegeta. Still, that doesn't make him a bad actor. If anything it says something about the direction that he's still forced to do that unfitting voice. And yet, you yourself still haven't even said it's bad.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:But Sabat isn't that great. He's probably one of the worst voice actors in Funi right now. And most Funi actors are really good now, so he's not bad, he's just the odd one out.
No he isn't. In fact, I'd say he's probably one of the best, seriously watch some of the other shows he's done (Which by the way, the voice he does for Zoro is completely appropriate). Not to mention, he's a damn good director.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 am

AgitoZ wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:I'll admit that the difference between Sabat's Z roles and his Kai roles are the difference between Broly(under SPC) and Boohan(strongest villain in DB until about Bebi Vegeta), but still even with that jump he still hasn't quite made it.
What...
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:He is better, I will not deny that, but let me say this. Sabat just doesn't make his characters sound believable IMHO. You can disagree if you want and I will respect you, because I'm like that.
DBZ characters, maybe, and that's only Vegeta. Still, that doesn't make him a bad actor. If anything it says something about the direction that he's still forced to do that unfitting voice. And yet, you yourself still haven't even said it's bad.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:But Sabat isn't that great. He's probably one of the worst voice actors in Funi right now. And most Funi actors are really good now, so he's not bad, he's just the odd one out.
No he isn't. In fact, I'd say he's probably one of the best, seriously watch some of the other shows he's done (Which by the way, the voice he does for Zoro is completely appropriate). Not to mention, he's a damn good director.
Wait a minute, I've realized Sabat hasn't really improved at all. I watched episode 68 on my season set 2 and his Kai voice is the same. I was too soft on Sabat I suppose.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 am

That's because Sabat redid all his lines for the first few early season sets.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.