Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Post by ChampionofTime » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:59 am

So, with Dragon Ball Z Kai having more or less recently reached its conclusion in North America, I thought now would be just as good a time as any to indulge in a reflection of sorts and discover just exactly what are, as the topic title ever so ingeniously suggests, the best and worst voice performances in the Dragon Ball Kai dub in the eyes of the Daizex community. For fear of amassing an enormous post that puts the length of even the original Z to shame and for fear of rambling on for far, far longer than I ever truly intended I’ve decided not to incorporate too categories or subsections though, having said that, I like to think everything of interesting (and relevant!) note is included for us all to discuss. If you do feel something is missing though for whatever reason feel free to go right ahead and add it. Now, without further ado...

Favorite Returning Voice Talent

1. Christopher Sabat – True, some of his voices do need either reigning in or refining (Reacoom, Vegeta to name but a few) but on the whole I feel Sabat has progressed immensely from the dark old days of 1999. The script has only helped cement his position at the top of the list and I would have to say his Piccolo is my surefire favorite.

2. Dame-I mean Dartanian Nickleback – I promise I’ll try not to make a perfect joke here but he certainly was impressive wasn't he? Although I felt there were some rough patches in his performance (the less said about Semi-Perfect Cell the better) on the whole I found him to be rather consistent and rather brilliant indeed. LOVED his Perfect Cell in particular.

3. Sean Schemmel – Debatable decision maybe so but I felt his performance in Kai – especially for Goku – was leaps and bounds ahead of his Dragon Ball Z attempt. His Kaio is fucking terrible though. His Nail is good.

Honorable Mentions: Chuck Huber, Sonny Strait.

Favorite New Voice Talent

1. Christopher Ayres – Do I seriously need to justify this? Really? Christopher Ayres brought us not only Freeza in English but also some of the best acting performances English dubbed Dragon Ball has ever had the utmost fortune to see. Truly fucking stunning.

2. Colleen Clinkenbeard – Another amazing voice talent and another chart placing I shouldn’t have to justify in the slightest. I absolutely adore her Gohan and not only does she provide an age-appropriate voice for the character for the first time in what most probably feels like forever for some but also she’s a terrific actress to boot. I also might be in the minority when I say this but I really like her 18 too!

3. J Michael Tatum – Certainly one of the more overlooked talents in the dub I would say, J Michael Tatum delivered a fantastic performance with what little material he was given. On a side note love the man’s scripts!

Honorable Mentions: Maxey Whitehead, Monica Rial.

Least Favorite Voice Talent

1. Chris Cason – Too dull and wooden for my taste; Popo’s not exactly an important character throughout the series though so he comes off as more of an unimpressive background voice than anything else.

2. Phil Parsons – Doesn’t really seem to have improved much over his Z performance; too generic and thuggish for my tastes.

3. Cynthia Cranz – Maybe it’s just me but she always sounded far too angry for the role?

Dishonorable Mentions: Jason Liebrecht, Justin Cook.

EXTRA!

Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition: Vic Mignogna
Least Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition: Justin Cook
Favorite Ending Song: Wings of the Heart
Favorite Insert Song: Ginyu Force Rules
99 Dub ‘Talent’ you didn’t miss in the slightest: Tiffany Vollmer.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Post by songohan619 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:35 am

1. Chris Sabat for his Piccolo: Holy crap, he sounds amazing compared to the old dub voice he used!

2. Sean Schemmel for his Goku: This voice is kinda strange. It`s the same as the first time appeared in DBZ in 1999, but his acting is about 9000 times better! His "Happy-Go-Lucky" Goku is spot on, and his fighting noises sound pretty good aswell.

3. Sonny Strait for hid Krillin/Bardock: Sorry, Terri Klassen, Sonny is now LEAGUES above you. Sonny Strait acts great for both the characters, and gives them the appropriate voices.

Honorable Mentions: Chuck Huber, Mike Mcfarland, Dartanian Nickleback

1. Christopher Ayres for his Freeza: He is Freeza. Need i say more?

2. Colleen Clinkenbeard for her Gohan: This is kind of a strange choice comming from me, since i am a fan of Stephany Nadolny. However, Coleen won me over, not in the Cell saga, not in the Freeza, but in the very first episode. The fact that she got Gohan to sound cute, something Stephany TRIED, but never quite managed. I am not completely convinced from Coleen in the Cell saga, and i still think that Nadoly did a better job in that area.

Honorable Mentions: J Micheal Tatum

Favorite Ending Song: Yeah! Break! Care! Break!
Favorite Insert Song: The Lone Warrior

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Favorite Returning-

1. Sabat, of course. Vegeta could use a little more fine-tuning, and I still don't like his Recoome, but I'll be damned if he's not leagues better than back in the original dub. I thought his Piccolo had improved during Dragon Ball, but it's done perfectly now.

2. Gonna echo ChampionofTime here and say Dameon Clarke. Cell sounded pretty good the first time around, but it's only gotten better with age.

3. Finally, I'm gonna have to go with Chuck Huber. His #17 was good, like Clarke's Cell, last time around, but it's just gotten better.

Favorite New-

1. Colleen Clinkenbeard. Such an improvement over Nadolny, who just couldn't capture Gohan's personality. I might be in the minority here, but I thought she handled the screams during the Cell Games very well (including the Super Saiyan 2 scream). I was also impressed with her #18, especially during the episodes where she's being hunted by Cell.

2. Chris Ayres. He was so needed. I realize Linda Young loved the role of Freeza, but it just wasn't appropriate for the character, and Chris Ayres owned the role. I didn't like it in that first episode he appeared in (when it sounded like he was trying to copy Young's voice), but I soon found it to be vastly superior. Great performance.

3. Basically everyone else new to the scene- Jason Douglas, Barry Yandel, Brina Palencia, J. Michael Tatum, Monica Rial, Maxey Whitehead, Bill Jenkins, and Greg Ayres. I can hardly watch some of the old scenes with those characters (especially King Cold's- echh), because Kai's voices are so much better.

Least Favorite-

1. Bryan Massey- I just do not like his Oolong at all. It sounds like he's trying to ape Brad Jackson's, but he can't at all. I know Oolong's a really inconsequential character during Z, but this new voice really bugs me.

2. Gonna have to agree with Chris Cason. Just not a very standout performance in either way.

Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition- Vic Mignogna
Least Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition- Justin Cook, Sean Schemmel
Favorite Ending Song: That's actually a tough one for me. I like both.
Favorite Insert Song: Ginyu Force Rules. I like a lot of the other ones, but I'm of the mindset that, if you dub something, do it 100%.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

My least favorite is easily Schemmel's Kaio.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:33 pm

No one's mentioned Kyle Herbert's awful Demon Ox King voice yet?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChampionofTime » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:48 pm

AgitoZ wrote:No one's mentioned Kyle Herbert's awful Demon Ox King voice yet?
I knew there was something I couldn't quite remember. Yes, that is definitely a contender for worst voice.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Favorite Returning

Chuck Huber - His 17 voice in Z sounded too deep and quiet, in Kai he made 17 sound just right.

Chris Sabat - He finally got Vegeta's voice right. Doesn't sound gravely or high pitch like the previous dub.

Favorite New

J Michael Tatum - No one else could have been Zarbon but him.

Jason Liebrecht - Fitted Jeice a hell of a lot better than Sabat's forced Australian accent.

Least Favorite

R Bruce Elliott - I could right a whole paragraph about this but I'll just say he didn't give Ginyu anything.

Sean Schemmel - He was perfect for Goku back when they treated him as a "super hero" but since the Kai dub threw that out the window, Schemmel no longer has a place to be Goku.

Justin Cook - Did a lot better in the Z dub, in Kai he is just screaming or yelling all of Raditz's lines.

Colleen Clinkenbeard - After watching every episode I still can't get used to her Gohan, still makes my ears bleed. Her 18 is just a generic female voice.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm

1. Chris Sabat. Most improved VA out of all of them. And he needed it. His Vegeta and Piccolo are great now. Still not a fan of his Recoome, though.

2. Chuck Huber. I always liked his Artificial Human 17 and he was even better than before in Kai. Really sharpened.

3. Chris Rager. I always liked his Mr. Satan, but this time around it was even better.

Honorable Mentions: Dameon Clarke, Sean Schemmel, Sonny Strait, Kent Williams

1. Christopher Ayres. His Freeza was fantastic. Really made a lot of the Namek stuff great.

2. Colleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan. She really made Gohan sound adorable and charming. But not only that, her Gohan evolved into a great voice for a preteen. She added so much needed humanity to the role.

3. Monica Rial. Her Bulma had all the outrageous standoffishness of the other Bulma's, but like Clinkenbeard, brought some much needed humanity to the genius. She made her likeable.

Honorable Mentions: J Micheal Tatum, Greg Ayres,

Least Favorite -

1. Sean Schemmel as Kaio. It's too on-the-nose for Kaio's eccentricities. It makes the joke of Kaio all about the voice.

2. Chris Sabat as Recoome. He still sounds like he's in DERP land.

Dishonorable Mentions: Cynthia Cranz's Chichi, Kyle Hebert's Ox King

Least Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition: Sean Schemmel
Favorite Ending Song: Kokoro no Hane
Favorite Insert Song: GINYU FORCE RULES! GINYU FORCE RULES!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Christopher Sabat brought his "A" game for Piccolo. It's a little weird now listening to Piccolo in the older stuff.

Chris Ayes for the win on favorite new.

My least favorites in order..Trunks, Bulma, & Chi-Chi.

I don't know what happened to Trunk's voice. It's just sounding bad and grating to the ears..It just comes off as whiny to me. I think they could have done a better job finding a voice actress for Bulma. When I think of Bulma, I think hot..But when I hear her in Kai all of that hotness just disappears. Chi-Chi..Don't even get me started on her.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:22 pm

I honestly think Schemmel would've been fantastic if Goku's writing had been a bit more...Goku.

Favorite New: Chris Ayres. Maybe it's because the original voice was so terrible, or maybe it's because he's the best voice actor that worked on Dragon Ball.

Most Improved: Sabat as Piccolo and Vegeta. I love his Piccolo voice. As for Vege, it might be more gruff than most people would care for, but his acting and screaming have improved unbelievably. Specific instances include Vegeta's death by Freeza, and Final Flash.

Favorite Returning: Rager as Mr. Satan. Awesome and hilarious as ever.

Least Favorite New: Jeese? I don't really dislike the voice acting or the pitch of the voice, but I just don't get why they went with the accent again. Not really the voice actors fault, though.

Least Favorite Returning: Kaio and Ox King. I'm undecided here. Kaio's comedic deliveries are great, but the rest of the character is ruined in the process. Ox King is only there in small doses, but that doesn't change the fact that those doses are painful. I wish they could find a fitting role for Kyle Herbert. I'm also dumbfounded as to why they didn't have Vale lose the gruff with Trunks.

Replacements I Wish Had Happened: Sabat as Yamucha. While the delivery is definitely better, it's not great. Besides, Sabat had enough important roles. Also, Recoome for similar reasons.

Favorite/Least Favorite Dragon Soul: Vic/Cook

Replacement I Didn't Miss in the Least: Linda Young as Freeza.
Last edited by batistabus on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:02 am

Favorite Newcomers

1. Monica Rial as Bulma - She sounds great as Bulma. Echoing some of you here, she gives her some humanity and it made Bulma likable. Definitely my favorite recast here.

2. Doc Morgan as the Narrator - It didn't fit the show at first, but I like how authoritative it sounded and it gave the show that "grand adventure" feel.

3. Christopher Ayres as Freeza - Talk about a turnabout. When he first spoke, I nearly ragequit. He still makes him sound like an old woman (and one of my friends commented that he sounds like Eartha Kitt when he screams...now I can't get that out of my head), but the script is what makes his performance great to me. And that laugh of his is awesome.

Runner-Up: Greg Ayres' Guldo, Maxey Whitehead's Dende, Bill Jenkin's Grand Elder

Favorite/Most Improved Returning VAs

1. Chris Rager as Hercule/Mr. Satan - BOOM! Winning! ...that is all. The man is untouchable when it comes to this guy. XD

2. Christopher Sabat as Piccolo, Yamcha & Vegeta - While I still don't care for his Vegeta voice, he has improved his acting a lot for those characters. Sad to say I can't say the same for Recoome, but whatever.

3. Dameon Clarke as Cell - Still don't care for his Semi-Perfect Form voice, but everything else is golden.

Runner-Up: Sonny Strait as Krillin, Chuck Huber's 17, Kent Williams' Dr. Gero

Least Favorite Newcomers

The Ginyu Force - Yeah. With the exception of Greg Ayres as Guldo, the voices for the Ginyu Force were a huge disappointment for me. So much that they dominate this spot. All of them sound like they're doing impersonations and I expected something new.

Least Favorite VAs

1. Sean Schemmel as King Kai - His comedic timing is great, but god is that voice grating. It practically makes a joke of a character that was supposed to be reaching out to the audiences.

2. Cynthia Cranz as Chi-Chi - Full on PMS mode here, even in moments when she isn't angry. :/

3. Kyle Hebert as the Ox-King - ...so kings sound like Patrick Star?

Runner-Up: Eric Vale's Trunks, Chris Sabat's Recoome, Justin Cook's Raditz

Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition: None. Yep. They all pretty much range from OK to meh.
Recasts You Wished Happened: More of Chris Sabat's roles (leave him with either Piccolo or Vegeta) and Goku
99 Dub Talent you didn’t miss in the slightest: Tiffany Vollmer
Last edited by ConfusedPhantom on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:43 am

1. Christopher Sabat – Man, he's just come a LOOONG way from his sucky performances in 1999. His Piccolo is amazing; now, I can't picture him with any other voice. To a lesser extent, this goes for his Vegeta as well. He managed to turn that overly throaty voice into something that I can actually picture the arrogant Prince of Saiyans actually having. I didn't even mind his Recoome, particularly because he didn't sound as much like Lennie this time around (and had the additional help of a better script).

2. Sean Schemmel – Another one who's improved majorly over time. He's now my favorite English Goku, and that's really saying something, because I absolutely hated his guts back in 1999. His Nail is okay, and I may be one of the (very) few who doesn't think his Kaio is all that bad. Yeah, there were some points where I couldn't take Kaio seriously, but I honestly didn't mind at all.

3. Sonny Strait - This guy IS Krillin. He's completely made the role his own, and I got a real sense of personality from this Krillin that I never really got from other incarnations. My favorite moment was that little scream he made when Piccolo grew his arm back after the fight against Raditz. It felt so believable yet likable at the same time.

Honorable Mentions: Chuck Huber, Dameon Clarke.

1. Christopher Ayres – Seriously, his performance as Freeza alone made one of my least favorite sagas in Z into my all-time favorite in Kai. It was just so captivating that I just breezed through all those episodes in only a matter of days. Definitely one of the highlights of this dub, that's for damn sure! :D

2. Colleen Clinkenbeard – I LOVE her Gohan! She's the only one so far who actually makes him sound so cute and childlike, something which I never heard even back in the 90s Ocean dub. I was always blown away by her screams, or just any moment where Gohan showed any emotion whatsoever; her acting was just that good. On that note, I'll just digress a bit and say that I truly enjoyed her kid Goku and #18 too.

3. Monica Rial– She was a great Bulma. She makes her sound youthful and confident, without all of those annoying squeaky noises that plagued Vollmer's performance.

Honorable Mentions: Maxey Whitehead, J. Michael Tatum, R. Bruce Elliott, Doc Morgan.

1. Jason Liebrecht – The only voice in this dub that made me actively cringe. His accent was just WAYYY too over-the-top, and his voice was screechy at times. Just didn't like it that much.

2. Eric Vale – I REALLY did not like his Trunks this time around. It sounded like something died in his throat; he was rasping it up hardcore. Which sucks, because I think Vale's a pretty good actor too.

3. Cynthia Cranz – I always thought she sounded stilted. Granted, it's nowhere near as bad as it was before, but it's still not all that good. However, I do have to give her credit for a few bright spots, particularly when she screams (her screams during Goku's vision in his fight with Freeza were truly chilling).

Dishonorable Mentions: Kyle Hebert, Justin Cook.

Favorite Insert Song: Only a Chilling Elegy
99 Dub ‘Talent’ you didn’t miss in the slightest: Tiffany Vollmer, Stephanie Nadolny.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:48 am

1. Chris Rager (Mister Satan) – Did an excellent job back in the day, and has returned just as strong. Hearing him in Kai puts a smile on my face.

2. Sonny Straight (Kulilin) – Oh-so much better than his early DBZ days, and even his later DBZ days. He's become an excellent actor, and does a great job as Kulilin.

3. Dartanian Nickleback (Cell) – Well, he wasn't a favorite or anything, but he's at least a very strong voice actor, and doesn't portray the character incorrectly.

Honorable Mentions: N/A

1. Christopher Ayres (Freeza) – This one is obvious. It's one of the most changed voices for Kai, and for one of the coolest villains in the show.

2. Colleen Clinkenbeard (Son Gohan) – FINALLY Gohan sounds like an actual child. And not only that, but he actually has a voice actress who's believable. Before, any emotion just sounded forced/fake.

3. Greg Ayres (Ghurd) – I was so sad when he died just because he had such an amazing/amusing voice. I REALLY want him to voice Pilaf now.

Honorable Mentions: Bill Jenkins (Grand Elder)

1. Sean Schemmel (Kaio) – This voice REALLY needed work, but instead remained the same, unpleasant noise from Schemmel's attempt back in DBZ. I turn off the audio when I see him on-screen. :/

2. Eric Vale (Trunks) – He did a decent job in DBZ, so for Kai, I was expecting Trunks to sound amazing! ...But no. Instead he got worse. He sounds as bad as Sabat's Vegeta now. I stopped watching Kai after the music replacement, but I seriously wanted to thanks to this unpleasant portrayal.

3. Chris Sabat (ReaCoom) – SO glad he died right away. His voice is Sabat's worst in all of Kai.

Dishonorable Mentions: Kyle Hebert (Ox Demon-King), Cynthia Cranz (Chichi). Read ConfusedPhantom's comments.

EXTRA!

Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition: Greg Ayres
Favorite Ending Song: Yeah! Break! Care! Break!
Favorite Insert Song: Tada Kogoeru Elegy
99 Dub ‘Talent’ you didn’t miss in the slightest: Stephany Nadolny
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:50 am

This is a great thread. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's opinions.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 pm

1. Sean Schemmel (Goku) - He has come a looooonnnggg way from the early stuff from 'season 3' of DBZ. And it definitely shows. He's always been English-language Goku for me but now I can definitely say it with more pride than I used to.

2. Christopher R. Sabat (Vegeta, Piccolo) - Just like Schemmel, he's definitely made great strides in quality. His Vegeta in-particular just oozes the arrogance needed so much better now.

3. Sonny Strait (Krillin) - He's always been good in the role, but he just keeps getting better and better, so I had to include him here.

4. Chris Rager (Mr. Satan) - He's also always been good, but somehow got even better in Kai.

Honorable Mention: Dameon Clarke (Cell), Kent Williams (Dr. Gero)

1. Chris Ayres (Freeza) - Oh maaaannn. I was initially so peeved by this casting in that first episode we heard him in, but he quickly proved that he was definitely the right casting. Then again, I should have known he would. The man is just brilliant with villains, Speed Grapher's lead villain is equally amazing.

2. Monica Rial (Bulma) - I never had anything against Vollmer's take, and I still don't, but Rial has definitely impressed me quite a bit in this role.

3. R. Bruce Elliot (Captain Ginyu) - I actually prefer his Ginyu over Armstrong's now believe it or not, it just sounds more youthful and energetic.

4. Everyone Who Replaced Sabat (Namek Arc) - One of my major problems with the Namek portion of the previous series was that Sabat was EVERYWHERE. Vegeta, Piccolo, Kami, Mr. Popo, Shenron, Porunga, Recoome, Burter, Jeice, Guru, Muuri, Yamcha, invarious background Namekians - GAAAAAAAH. Kai fixed this greatly.

Honorable Mention: John Swasey (Dodoria), J. Michael Tatum (Zarbon), Colleen Clinkenbeard (Gohan, Android 18)

1. Bryan Massey (Oolong) - I'm not even that fond of Jackson's Oolong anymore, honestly, but if I want a gravely voiced Oolong he'd be my pick. Seriously though, why'd they decide Oolong needs to sound like that anyway?

2. Christopher R. Sabat (Recoome) - He's definitely better in Kai than he was before, but the role still feels a liitttllee too...yeah...

3. Jason Liebrecht (Jeice) - Ugggh. No, just no. Give us back Sabat Jeice, please.

4. Mark Stoddard (Dr. Briefs) - It's a small role I know, but I definitely liked the original dub voice for him over the exaggerated take Stoddard is giving here.

Dishonorable Mention: John Burgmeier (Gregory), John Swasey (Z TV Announcer)

EXTRA!

Favorite Dragon Soul Rendition: Greg Ayres

He's just a really great singer. I wanted to like Vic's more than I did, but it just doesn't fit his usual singing style.

I dunno WHAT happened here, because he sang great in Beck. I guess the song just isn't fit for him either.

Favorite Ending Song: Yeah! Break! Care Break!

I just really like this song, though I have to admit, I like the Japanese version a lot more.

If any characters deserved an insert song, it was definitely the Ginyu Force. Just wish the lyrics had been handled a bit better in the dub.

99 Dub ‘Talent’ you didn’t miss in the slightest: N/A (if pressed, Linda Young as Freeza)

I'm voiding this one a bit, as I have to say yet again that I am NOT fond of how FUNi treated the previous voice actors this time around. It seems like a good majority of them weren't even contacted about being replaced, and that's just wrong. Regardless of what you may think of their performances, they at least deserved a courtesy call for crying out loud. And what they did with Linda Young was even worse, deciding halfway through not to use her. It worked out for the best for the character, but still, c'mon.

If I were pressed though, I would say Linda Young's Freeza is who I miss least, yes. Ayres just blows her performance out of the water.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Most Improved Voice
Chris Sabat as Vegeta. Sounds less constipated and growly sounding and more like the character itself. That is all

Favourite New Talent
Chris Ayres. IS way better then shitty Linda Young or Pauline Newstone and is actually Freeza instead of a homo who wants guys turning him on or pops weasels or a guy who caresses balls and wants big guys to lighten up.

Least Favourite Talent
Colleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan and 18. I HATE HER GOHAN. It's better then Nadonly but that's like saying a pig who's rolled in the mud for 30 seconds is cleaner then a pig who's rolled for 30.1 seconds. Her voice is too high pitched. Masoko's Gohan is high pitched when he's 4-9 that is! Her voice deepens noticeably. Even Jillian Micheals' Gohan is better(Her Gohan is quite good actually and not overly high pitched and sounds like a 10 year old). 18 also sucks because she doesn't sound aggressive in the least.

Chris Sabat as Piccolo. Simply just his Piccolo voice from Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Remastered/The First 3 Dragon Ball Z Movies. It just him talking in a natural voice. It has not improved 1 bit.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:31 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote: Colleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan and 18. I HATE HER GOHAN. It's better then Nadonly but that's like saying a pig who's rolled in the mud for 30 seconds is cleaner then a pig who's rolled for 30.1 seconds. Her voice is too high pitched. Masoko's Gohan is high pitched when he's 4-9 that is! Her voice deepens noticeably. Even Jillian Micheals' Gohan is better(Her Gohan is quite good actually and not overly high pitched and sounds like a 10 year old).
Did you just miss the Cell arc? She definitely deepens the voice. Even if you hate the voice, she still has the acting to back it up. Also why are you mad Gohan sounds like his age?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:12 pm

For an 'unbiased' fan, you also use a lot of terms that almost sound more like hate on the person rather than their performances too...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChampionofTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote: Chris Sabat as Piccolo. Simply just his Piccolo voice from Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Remastered/The First 3 Dragon Ball Z Movies. It just him talking in a natural voice. It has not improved 1 bit.
The acting is much improved though. Besides, I would rather him use his natural voice for the role than the gruff sounding one he used throughout most of Z.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:29 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
Favourite New Talent
Chris Ayres. IS way better then shitty Linda Young or Pauline Newstone and is actually Freeza instead of a homo who wants guys turning him on or pops weasels or a guy who caresses balls and wants big guys to lighten up.
Let's not start with the homophobic insults, alright? You didn't need to go that far.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Least Favourite Talent
Colleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan and 18. I HATE HER GOHAN. It's better then Nadonly but that's like saying a pig who's rolled in the mud for 30 seconds is cleaner then a pig who's rolled for 30.1 seconds. Her voice is too high pitched. Masoko's Gohan is high pitched when he's 4-9 that is! Her voice deepens noticeably. Even Jillian Micheals' Gohan is better(Her Gohan is quite good actually and not overly high pitched and sounds like a 10 year old). 18 also sucks because she doesn't sound aggressive in the least.
If you actually watched all the way through Kai and not just clips here and there, you would notice his voice changes over time and is a very fitting fit. I'm still a fan of Nadolny and even I admit that Colleen did better as Young Gohan and places here and there as Kid Gohan.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Chris Sabat as Piccolo. Simply just his Piccolo voice from Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Remastered/The First 3 Dragon Ball Z Movies. It just him talking in a natural voice. It has not improved 1 bit.
Hardly! Have you even listened or even compared to two side by side?

Season Set - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3atj6GI9g

Z Kai - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djBhC3YRBKk
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)