The future of gaming

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

The future of gaming

Post by Xyex » Mon May 30, 2005 2:58 am

If this is too off-topic Mike, let me know and I'll move it to Randomness. I just figured it'd get more attention and a better conversation here rather than there. And Mizugi was right, the other thread needs to get back on topic so I decided to move the debate over to a new thread.
I was going to leave this long, but I decided not too. I'll sum it up, it's people like you, who say 2D is dead, and should stay that way, which is making companies try to pander to players, so they will buy their shit. The extensive energy put into graphics, forces integral pieces like story fall to the wayside.
I don't think the story is falling away from new games. A lot of them do have good stories. But everyone's running out of stories, they've been used already, after all, we've been telling them for centuries now. It's not due to the mainstreaming or the 3D it's simply due to passage of time, growing laziness, and the knowledge that A, B, and C will sell and make money.

I do agree that the current systems on the way (360 and PS3) are going the wrong way. I don't give a damn about pretty grpahics (well, ok, I do, but that's a small part of it all). If it was all about the pretty for me I'd be right with you guys calling for 2D. While 3D wows me now and again and makes me drool often, 2D's got a fluidity and beauty to it that 3D can't match IMO.

I want 3D because it offers more possibilites. If the console makers and game companies would actually put some effort into their works instead of follow Hollywood's rehashing system games would be so much better. 3D is the only way to do so many of the things that could be possible if the company's put some effort into it. But the 360 and PS3 are geared toward more of the pretty and less of the ability. BLEH. They want to much for the same game only prettier. I'll eventually buy one of the systems probably, but they need to change their ways.
Because of said atrocities, classics like Enix' "Star Ocean 2", and the knowledge of what a good game it was, is lost to the annals of time.
I've been hearing this a lot... what system is it for? Even though I think the way of the future is 3D I will admit that a powerful enough story, solid enough gameplay, and nice art still catches my eye (Golden Sun for example). So I think I might look into this game... I seem to remember a Star Ocean for the NES that I don't think I beat (maybe it was a different game and I'm confused though).
I agree Lost In Thought, I think a much more skill based gameplay experience is usually available in 2D games (such as Metal Slug 3). I've found since 3D games have taken over the market challenge has taken a nose dive, that saddens me.
Again, this has nothing to do with the merits of 3D. 3D has STILL not been used to it's full capacity. There is SO much more that even the old systems (PS1 and N64) could have done but didn't do. However, I do like the lowered difficulty to a level. I think the games were a tad over powered before, though now their rather underpowered. They still haven't found the happy medium. The DMC games (1 and 3 at least) are one of the few that actually shows some thought put into the difficulty settings.
Ceasing to make 2D games simply because you can make games in 3D now is an incredibly silly idea, I could only compare it to intending to stop the production of Vanilla ice cream because obviously everyone must like Chocolate better.
Ok, ya, true, there are still a lot of die-hard 2Ders. And even if (when perhaps?) 3D's put to it's full use and finally utilized correctly there will be still. What I was meaning is that 2D's not where the future is, as it's nearly been tapped to the limits. 2D needs to offer more than 3D (which so far, it still does fairly well a good bit of the time) to keep up IMO. The varritey offered by 3D (though not oftenly used) requires a 2D version of the same game to do something above and beyond to to match up.

Though, as I've said, old 2D games are still doing that over number of modern 3D ones. Mainly because everyone's slacking off. Once 3D is finally pushed to the limit 2D wont be able to keep up within the same format. I will conceed, though, that some things are just better in 2D (MvC for example).
Gameplay variety is one of the things that keeps the industry alive, the last thing it needs is more sameness, that was one of the factors that led to the original system crash. Cookie cutter rehash games.
I believe I've covered this already. But I'll touch on a few things here anyway. The rehashing, even if we returned to 2D suddenly, would remain. It's not the fault of 3D for this. It's external factors. What we need is pure innovation (for which 3D would be the easiest course, though admittedly, not the best for all games). Saddly, as the consoles stand now, it doesn't look like that's what we will get.
Remember Square-Soft's "Final Fantasy", and when it came out for the NES? That game was heralded as the companies last chance to make or break, and recieved accolades for the quality of it. It was good because of the story, the gameplay, and the music [Nobuo Uematsu actively redefining the way we hear music in games to this day, even if the game itself isn't very good], graphics were average even for the Nes, but the game was a marvel, and the sequels that came out after it, were recieved well for just how good they were, not how they looked.
Eh, the original FF was ok, but I'm not really sure how it saved Square. That still boggles my mind. I've only played a little of it and of II (GBA releases) and while fun, just aren't THAT outstanding IMO. I still stand with FF8 being tied for the best of the series with FFX, followed by 7, 6 (3 IIRC), and then 9. I wont list 1 or 2 here since I've not played either in some time so I'm not entirely sure where they'd fall.
Definitely, and also because of the escalating prices, caused by escalating 'wants' out of these newer systems, I don't see the industry lasting very much longer...
If a second crash is around the corner [so to speak] lets hope Nintendo [the only company who hasn't forgotten their 2D heritage] can save us like last time.
Eh, one way or another the price would still climb. If all that new energy had been devoted to ability rather than looks it'd still push up prices. It's unavoidable. Granted, it'd be a lower price hike.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon May 30, 2005 4:27 am

Xyex wrote:I don't think the story is falling away from new games. A lot of them do have good stories. But everyone's running out of stories, they've been used already, after all, we've been telling them for centuries now. It's not due to the mainstreaming or the 3D it's simply due to passage of time, growing laziness, and the knowledge that A, B, and C will sell and make money.
Running out of stories, it's been that way for over 100 years. There is nothing remotely original anymore, short of 'point of view.' The difference here is, that these developers are pandering to the youth mainstream obsession with 'realism' in games.

You see these companies do extensive survey's to find out what people want, and then push it to it's limits. Like when Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory came out, a short time before it's release the company behind it did a survey to see how many people would purchase the special edition of it for the extra goodies that came with it [new case, a dvd] and put the percentile that they recieved of buyers into their documentation of later promotions, including having game purchase costs raised to $70.00 a pop. The mainstream gamers these days are the target demographic for the majority of produced games [Grand theft Auto, and it's clones] because it's the biggest share of gamers these days.
This auidence is pretty much based around the people who have levitated towards gaming over the last decade, as well as those who want as good of graphics as a developer could possibly produce.

Look at it this way, a single game is produced for an indeterminant period by a group of between 30, and 50 guys, each taking a different part, the majority of these people are designing graphics, while a small portion does the story. Because of the growth in just how many people are needed for the creation of a game, most of which are graphical designers, usually two-to-three things fall through the cracks, and don't recieve half as much attention as they deserve. The first of which is the story, the second is usually controls, and the third is sometimes the music. These usually fail souly because of the extensive time placed on making things look more realistic, it's a constant contest to make graphics just a little better.
Quality is sacrificed.
Xyex wrote:I want 3D because it offers more possibilites. If the console makers and game companies would actually put some effort into their works instead of follow Hollywood's rehashing system games would be so much better. 3D is the only way to do so many of the things that could be possible if the company's put some effort into it. But the 360 and PS3 are geared toward more of the pretty and less of the ability. BLEH. They want to much for the same game only prettier. I'll eventually buy one of the systems probably, but they need to change their ways.
3D development only offers more possibilities, when the developers can't dictate the story properly. As well, 90% of the time the 'more possibilities' comes in when one wants to illustrate something visually, when they fail to describe it verbally. Yes, high quality graphics are nice, but if they can't express things properly in their story, what the hell good is it?!
Xyex wrote:Again, this has nothing to do with the merits of 3D. 3D has STILL not been used to it's full capacity. There is SO much more that even the old systems (PS1 and N64) could have done but didn't do. However, I do like the lowered difficulty to a level. I think the games were a tad over powered before, though now their rather underpowered. They still haven't found the happy medium.
The difference here is, many 2D games compensate for lack-luster graphics, with a strong sense of control, and a winning story; this alone can differentiate quality from many high-powered 3D games to date.
As well, the PlayStation may have had a little more it could pump out [probably very little], but the Nintendo 64 topped out at "Rogue Squadron". As well, older games were made more difficult to keep a steady challenge for the player, you really had to work hard on your goal, which was effective enough to make the game worth completing. These days challenge has been under-developed.
Xyex wrote: What we need is pure innovation
Innovation is gone, but console developers, as well as game developers don't realize that they should embrace the lost art of 2D. Look at Nintendo's GBA releases in the "Nes Classic's Series", it sold phenomenally well, and warranted a second series, and may even recieve a third installment soon. It just means that like 3D, the 2D medium still exists, and shouldn't be forgotten.
Innovation may be dead, but some stories are just better told in 2D.
[StarOcean 3: Til the End of Time.]
Xyex wrote:Eh, the original FF was ok, but I'm not really sure how it saved Square. That still boggles my mind. I've only played a little of it and of II (GBA releases) and while fun, just aren't THAT outstanding IMO. I still stand with FF8 being tied for the best of the series with FFX, followed by 7, 6 (3 IIRC), and then 9. I wont list 1 or 2 here since I've not played either in some time so I'm not entirely sure where they'd fall.
The problem here is that Final Fantasy hasn't surprised players since FF7. [Not the mainstream fanboys, but the players who will play any RPG for the fun of it, and not because it's part of a certain series.] The largest issue behind this is, that with newer games, and more abilities, and better graphics, people forget just how good the older games are, and because of this it's nearly impossible for some people to play such older games, without feeling like "how the hell was this ever fun?".

Also, as far as Final Fantasy goes, the series caps out in the surprising range from 1, 3, 4, and 6; for classics. When the series moved to the PlayStation, many fans saw Final Fantasy 7 as a good game, with a decent story and a nice change, and 8, more as eye-candy lacking a bit in the story department, keeping it from making a complete 'impact' in the sense of being surprised by something with lots of potential. I've also been told that 9, while aesthetically amazing [in the change of character styles, etc,] and a decent story- was probably the first notice that the series was slowly taking a nose dive.
Final Fantasy X, and X-2 are generally thought of as the worst of the series, especially by hardcore fans, and 11... I've heard it's good, but the experience is different from the solo-rpg that fans are used too.

So I s'pose it bottoms out that if you're bemused by playing newer games, it would be almost painful to go back and play something 20 years old.
Xyex wrote:Eh, one way or another the price would still climb. If all that new energy had been devoted to ability rather than looks it'd still push up prices. It's unavoidable. Granted, it'd be a lower price hike.
True, of course... if these companies could invest a little more time in their console than 5 years, then maybe we could find one of those happy mediums you mentioned earlier.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon May 30, 2005 5:00 am

lost in thought wrote: Final Fantasy X, and X-2 are generally thought of as the worst of the series, especially by hardcore fans
I actually love FFX and X-2, though I'm not a hardcore fanboy, so I guess I don't "count" or something. Though I'll agree that Xyex kinda looked at it from the wrong view. He (and, admittedly, me, though I'm also an old-time gamer) are so spoiled by the OMGWTFVISUALORGASM graphics of today that games from the late 80s are just... blah..

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon May 30, 2005 6:07 am

Check out "God of War" for the PS2, that is truly a phenominal game, superb graphics and 3D animation, and the story... I wish this thing could become an anime. I borrowed the demo of it, played the first couple levels and it just blew me away. It's an obvious hack-slash type of game, but is also an RPG style and I'm definitly getting it when the price goes to $20 - $30.

Qoute: "Foul beasts, I shall send you back to the depths of Hades!"

Freakin awesome! Greek and sci-fi elements at their best.
14 years later

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon May 30, 2005 6:29 am

B-kun wrote:
lost in thought wrote: Final Fantasy X, and X-2 are generally thought of as the worst of the series, especially by hardcore fans
I actually love FFX and X-2, though I'm not a hardcore fanboy, so I guess I don't "count" or something. Though I'll agree that Xyex kinda looked at it from the wrong view. He (and, admittedly, me, though I'm also an old-time gamer) are so spoiled by the OMGWTFVISUALORGASM graphics of today that games from the late 80s are just... blah..
Actually, no. I like the old games, a lot. IIRC you were the one complaining about FF7's low graphics at one point (so Amy's told me at least). I don't mind it. I'd be fine if the next gen consoles made no advancement on graphics at all and simply improved upon their ability to do things so game makers could get more freedom. I love FFX because of the story. Sure, the FMVs blow me away, but it's the characters and the fun that kept me playing. FFX could have looked like FF7 and I'd still like it. I'd be miffed they didn't put more effort into the graphics since the PS2 is cappable of far better than FF7's appearance, but it wouldn't change the game.

And a perfect example, IMO, of great gameplay, graphics, and story is the Legacy of Kain series. I've thus far only played SR2 and BO2 but they were both a lot of fun, SR2's story far superior to BO2 though. Great graphics, a fun andin depth/thought out story, great controls/game play, and no load times... ya, SR2 is god.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 30, 2005 6:51 am

I was going to leave this long, but I decided not too. I'll sum it up, it's people like you, who say 2D is dead, and should stay that way, which is making companies try to pander to players, so they will buy their shit. The extensive energy put into graphics, forces integral pieces like story fall to the wayside.
On top of this, it's causing console prices to skyrocket. NextGen will run about $400.00 at launch; I don't know about you, but I can't afford that.
While I can see your point of view I disagree. What you are saying is somewhat like wanting to keep black and while television around because colour is more expensive. a lot of the gripes people can have with gaming these days (dumbing down, lack of focus on gameplay, lack of challenge) are not due entirely to 3D graphics or any other technology but rather due to the increasing popularity of gaming as a whole. As has been pointed out already. That being said there is still plenty of games being released that are innovitave, challenging and all the other things one could want. This directed in general, mabye its your own taste holding you back?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon May 30, 2005 7:11 am

Indeed, there are still innovative games coming out now and again. The game here and there that throws in something new, or uses something old but does it well and tells a great story, and the games that just happen to cpature that classic charm. Ico comes to mind as a game that takes a tried and true formula, throws in a little twist to it, and tells a gripping and deep story. And it does this with very little dialogue or cutscnes. And a good part of the dialogue you can't even understand. Ico does what more games need to do, tells it's story THROUGH the gameplay.

One thing I've found with a lot of games, current and old alike, is that the game play is merely the filler before the next story point. In some cases it litterally serves no puprose but to take up time (Dark Cloud comes to mind). While other games that do similiar (Xenosaga) actually make it feel like there's a point in travelling from A to B so you can see that next 15 minute cutscene. And then there's games like Ico and the Metal Gear games that feel more like you're playing the story than just trying to reach the next part of it.

However, innovation is slowly dying in favor of known working formulas. It was bound to happen, even if gaming hadn't gone mainstream. And from what I heard of the new systems abilites it's going to go even more on them. They push the bulk of their power to graphics instead of to game play abilities. I don't want MGS4 to be MGS3 only prettier and with a new story. I'd rather MGS4 looked like MGS3 but had a lot more in the way of things you could do. It takes processing power to bury bodies or stash them in trees or have highly realistic motions or lots of abilites, etc...
<Xyex> Good point.

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: The future of gaming

Post by Adamant » Mon May 30, 2005 7:58 am

Xyex wrote:Eh, the original FF was ok, but I'm not really sure how it saved Square. That still boggles my mind. I've only played a little of it and of II (GBA releases) and while fun, just aren't THAT outstanding IMO.
The GBA remakes of FFI and FFII were horrible. The originals actually made you use strategy in battle, instead of just holding A. You didn't have access to all the overly powerful items thrown into the remakes, magic was very limited, and the FFI characters were very different (Thief was horrible and Red Mage was godly in the original. It's pretty much the other way around in the remakes). I completely understand that you don't find that crap enjoyable, but those are not the original games that saved Square. The original games were fun. Try them.
Or, if you don't like emulation, you could always pick up Final Fantasy Origins for the PSOne. Those remakes are much, much better. Just stay away from Easy mode in FFI, that mode turns it into a "hold A" game. And turn off auto-targetting. Auto-targetting ruins the strategic element of battle FF1 had.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon May 30, 2005 9:09 am

Companies right now are afraid to pump out very much outside of big license games and sequels to top franchises because very few new franchises are catching on and selling well (Big difference between getting great reviews and selling well, ask Capcom).

Only two new series of games (In 3D) really impressed me this generation, Splinter Cell and Otogi, of course nobody bought Otogi but I was really impressed by it and it's sequel.

I think Sonic at this point is in desperate need of a return to his 2D roots as well, the franchise has lost everything it had going for it ever since Sonic Adventure came out (Though I liked the first Sonic Adventure a bit, every game since that point has been pretty much terrible).

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 30, 2005 10:08 am

Why is everyone only referring to console games? If you only play console games I can see why you would complain about a lack of innovation in gaming.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon May 30, 2005 10:22 am

PC isn't my favored platform, though most of my favorite games over the past few years have been on it. This year my favorite game I've played (though it came out many years ago on the PC, I just now got around to playing it) is probably Arcanum.

Though honestly the PC isn't exactly getting flooded with innovative games right now, FPS/RTS/MMORPG, if your not a fan of those this past year or so has been pretty tough, bit of a drought as far as quality single player RPG's go as of late.

I do give some points to Irrational Games, Freedom Force series for being high quality strategy combat games that play very differently from other games of the same genre though (although the fan made Dragon Ball character models leave much to be desired).

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 30, 2005 10:47 am

There have been a lot of games that have either broken new ground, stand out or are otherwise noteworthy. Counting only large commercial releases, there are many in recent times.

X2 the threat (only game of its type around)
Ghost Master (gameplay the focus)
The Sims (innovative)
Black and White (and the forthcoming B&W2, innovative)
Republic the Revolution (innovative)
Half Life 2 (ground breaking, best of both worlds)
Far Cry (level size and detail)
Rome Total war (graphics, strategy, 2d planning/3d battles)

There are more, and many on the horizon.
Last edited by Aurek on Mon May 30, 2005 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon May 30, 2005 10:52 am

I guess it all depends on your idea of innovative, I would say maybe two of those games are innovative yes, but hardly all of them.

Something like say (switching back to PS2), Katamari Damacy I'd call innovative. I think games are very rarely truly innovative but can be different and fun still by adjusting an existing formula to be unique enough stand out from the crowd.

True innovation is a more difficult thing to execute.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 30, 2005 11:28 am

I didnt say all of them were innovative
either broken new ground, stand out or are otherwise noteworthy
I think games are very rarely truly innovative but can be different and fun still by adjusting an existing formula to be unique enough stand out from the crowd.
I agree.
FPS/RTS/MMORPG, if your not a fan of those this past year or so has been pretty tough
I seem to have a different perspective. I love games, some people love football, some people love cars, art, film or whatever. I love games. I play any genre any platform it matters not to me.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon May 30, 2005 11:46 am

I hate playing games on the PC because of compatibility issues with my older games, and the mouse causes my hand to cramp.

But as a gaming genre as a whole, I simply cannot stand FPS or Card Games. The last FPS I liked was Hexen.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 30, 2005 12:04 pm

I hate playing games on the PC because of compatibility issues with my older games, and the mouse causes my hand to cramp.
True, compatability is highly annoying issue and one I wish dearly someone would do something about. If mouse use is causing your hand to cramp you must have some bad ergonomics around your PC or something else unusual going on.
But as a gaming genre as a whole, I simply cannot stand FPS
Oh well, your loss :(

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon May 30, 2005 12:23 pm

The problem with FPSes is that they're really all the same. I don't know why Halo gets so much praise all the time, it's no different from any other FPS I've ever played except it has fancier graphics.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon May 30, 2005 1:35 pm

B-kun wrote:I actually love FFX and X-2, though I'm not a hardcore fanboy, so I guess I don't "count" or something. Though I'll agree that Xyex kinda looked at it from the wrong view. He (and, admittedly, me, though I'm also an old-time gamer) are so spoiled by the OMGWTFVISUALORGASM graphics of today that games from the late 80s are just... blah..
A strange one... you... are.
Aurek wrote:While I can see your point of view I disagree. What you are saying is somewhat like wanting to keep black and while television around because colour is more expensive. a lot of the gripes people can have with gaming these days (dumbing down, lack of focus on gameplay, lack of challenge) are not due entirely to 3D graphics or any other technology but rather due to the increasing popularity of gaming as a whole. As has been pointed out already. That being said there is still plenty of games being released that are innovitave, challenging and all the other things one could want. This directed in general, mabye its your own taste holding you back?
No, that isn't what I am saying at all. I am saying that because of gaming becoming as mainstream as it has, over the last 15 years, that companies are now trying to pander to the largest audience in gaming, because they want 3D graphics, with high realism. And opting to ignore the fans who laid the groundwork for gaming's popularity, by phasing out 2D graphics.
Yes, 3D is a decent way to go, but 2D should not be phased out, as it was proven a winning formula in the past, and the sort of graphical appeal it has has not diminished. Games like Advance Wars, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, and even Zelda: The Minish Cap show just how capable 2D graphics are at conveying a story, without losing the scale. On top of this, assembling a game with a 2D environment instead of 3D allows more attention to detail, whether it be the look, the controls, or the story.

And yes, a lot of the problems with gaming today are because of heavy focus on graphics, because when you come right down to it, devoting 40 people to doing pieces of a games graphics, and as low as 5 people doing the story, you're going to lose a lot of what could have been done by a larger group, with a larger sense of imagination.

As far as innovation goes, it's a relative term... you really can't find such things in games anymore, because it doesn't exist. Innovation is a state of mind in which companies try to pass off something that might be inherintly flawed as some sort of 'risk-challenge' [Enter the Matrix], and people eat it up, and companies benefit from their screwup. Even Dark Cloud [the first one] wasn't so much innovative, as it was merely a string of neat idea's that made for interesting gameplay. Leveling up your sword, and allowing it to take new characteristics is something you could losely call 'innovative' but gameplay pretty much stayed the same, so it's a very lose classification.

Now onto your final line of my own taste...
That's called short sighted justification, you like to believe things are good as they are, and 3D should go on improving the way it does, so if the market stays active for another... oh say, 10 years, we will be paying in the neighborhood of $800.00 for our consoles, and $90.00/$100.00 for our games, and this is just how life goes huh? Wrong, companies bank on people buying, but soon gaming will be far too expensive for common man. The end.

As far as my own taste is concerned, yes, I love older games, however I am not short sighted to say that newer games are bad, I merely say that companies dependance on making new and better consoles, and exploiting 3D to it's highest abilities should not be necessary. The only reason it is, is because of how mainstream gaming has become, and in a period of about 15 years, gaming has gone from a geeks basement, to a jocks living room. Gaming as we know it has adopted a whole new fanbase that believes graphics make the game, and because of this the fans who played during the 'geek' stage of time, are left to the wayside of gaming by companies quickly opting to forget 2D, and exploit 3D, instead of trying to keep both capable forms alive and kicking.
It's been Nintendo's own forsight that has allowed the 2D artform to stay alive, through their handheld games. If it was not for Nintendo the crisp, classic 2D style would have been lost forever.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon May 30, 2005 2:04 pm

It was around 5 AM when I posted that. You can not expect it to be legible.

And Rob, Jers was right, cause the blocky graphics in FFVII kinda threw me off. >> Though it immediately won my love with the pimp thing. For the record, I still like the older games, though. Though I've never played FFI, come to think of it...

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon May 30, 2005 2:17 pm

B-kun wrote:It was around 5 AM when I posted that. You can not expect it to be legible.

And Rob, Jers was right, cause the blocky graphics in FFVII kinda threw me off. >> Though it immediately won my love with the pimp thing. For the record, I still like the older games, though. Though I've never played FFI, come to think of it...
Heh.
Anyway, I s'pose by now being accustomed to top-knotch graphics isn't unnatural, but you've been bemused to anything lower than 'nows quality'. If you just continue to float from console to console [depending how many more come out, before the industry realizes players wont be able to afford $900.00 consoles, and $90.00 games] you will end up seeing flaws in older games far more easily, because it's your jaded sense of progress biting you in the ass.
A lot of people end up incapable of playing older games, because they've become accustomed to the growing quality of newer games; it isn't unnatural, it's just a shame.