Just for laughs...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Just for laughs...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:36 pm

This post should be locked, it dont really need replys, I seen this review on Amazon.com for the Dead Zone and I didnt know it it was a joke or not...

THIS ONE'S BETTER, May 31, 2005
Reviewer: F. Torres "Big Bear" (Bronx, NY) - See all my reviews

This version completely out shines the pioneer version. It doesn't have that ridiculous "I'm so drunk song" or those annoying voices. All the voices everyone knows and loves is here. Even the background music is better. If you a DBZ fan you can't go wrong with this.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:39 pm

That's the most obvious joke I have ever seen.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:44 pm

I think thats a Trunks Master Swordsman moment.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Well, I, for one, prefer most of Funimation's voices to Ocean's...

But I totally wouldn't make a queer post like that. I don't hate Ocean's voices, I just prefer what we have now. And as for the BGM... I didn't even know DBZ had BGM. I never pay attention to it.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:29 pm

Maybe that guy just prefers this release over Pioneer's. It's not a big leap that he might favor Funimation's music and voices, especially if that's all he's ever known.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:47 pm

The S wrote:And as for the BGM... I didn't even know DBZ had BGM. I never pay attention to it.
Same here, almost. The only background music I ever noticed were Goku's SSj and SSj3 Transformations and Vegeta's theme.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:01 am

Heh, am I the only one who likes Faulconer's music? I mean 90% of the time it completly detracts from the experience and emotion (seeing as thats want they wanted it to do most of the time) but its a laugh if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Aurek on Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 am

I say that person simply liked this version because it's what they like. Some people don't like having Japanese things in an English translation, thus their dislike of the song. First time I saw it I thought it was dumb and out of place for DBZ, but the next time I saw it I noticed how cute it was.

As for the BGM thing, I nearly never notice it. I'll notice a lack or start of BGM but rarely will I notice the tune unless it's loud and imposing.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:54 am

I remember seeing a similar review regarding the first Broly DVD on Amazon.

In short, the review was bashing the Japanese version for its "Godzilla type" music and Goku's voice, and praised the english dub for featuring music by Pantera and other nonsense.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:20 am

praised the english dub for featuring music by Pantera and other nonsense.
Oh yes dont get me started on that. The rubbish new metal in some of the Funi movie DVD's makes them painful to watch. Movie 8 was like a battle. I felt as exhaused as Goku must have after that film...

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:06 pm

Xyex wrote:
As for the BGM thing, I nearly never notice it. I'll notice a lack or start of BGM but rarely will I notice the tune unless it's loud and imposing.
You hardly ever notice it because your brain doesn't want to take it in, the music in the dub is, to put it bluntly, crap.

I lie, I do like the Majin Buu theme in the dub, and the SSJ3 Goku tune and Vegeta theme's are quite good, but the rest is annoying.

The Japanese BGM is way better, Godzilla...come on, when you watch the new DBZ movies, it's beyond agony, it's impossible to watch, after getting half way through the Brolly's Second coming, I switched it off, plain and simple, I'm a Dragonball fan, not a bloody rock/gothic fan. And the movie is loaded with shit music.

Those rock tunes mess up each of the movies, and I'd rather watch it in Japanese with chibbi Gohan screaming at the top of he's voice. People can make up whatever rubbush they can about the Japanese BGM, but bear in mind that it is the original music, and if it wern't that good, people wouldn't have watched it, even Akira Toriyama likes many scenes which feature musical tracks, and he isn't on about the dub...

Saying the original DBZ isn't as good as the dub is like saying The Simpsons is better in French than in English, which is stupid to say, now isn't it?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:28 pm

Aurek wrote:Heh, am I the only one who likes Faulconer's music? I mean 90% of the time it completly detracts from the experience and emotion (seeing as thats want they wanted it to do most of the time) but its a laugh if you know what I mean.
You're not the only one. There are many who aren't really into Mr.Faulconer's stuff, but it is well done. I've always thought his music worked really well for Funi's DBZ. When I think back to Season 3, the music is the first thing that hits my mind, because it really set the story.

That's one thing that always struck me about the dub. They use the music to set the mood, and to tell a story, when in the original the plot and characters moved the story along, and the music was secondary. Sure it can get a little intrusive at times, but it's never really felt out of place. His stuff has depth, and can really take you away if you let it.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Aurek wrote:Heh, am I the only one who likes Faulconer's music?
I once did... back when I was misguided :).

Seriously though, there was a time I had no knowledge of the original DBZ but loved the dub.

I first saw the original watching a movie 8 fansub. At first I was quite surprised by Goku's voice but by the end of the film I was used to it. After watching a few more movies (Movie 9 and 12 fansubs) and episodes on the FUNimation DVDs in Japanese I just never went back to dub again.

The only memorable tracks for me in the dub are Vegeta's theme and Goku turning SSJ3. As for the rest, it's pretty bland and the fact that it sounds electronic and fake makes it worse. Had they used real instruments (like in the japanese track) and some moments of silence I'm sure it would've been better.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:55 pm

Assuming they couldn't use the original BGM, they should have kept going with the same composer that did the music for seasons 1 and 2 if they could have. That music was actually pretty good.
Last edited by tarsonis on Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:30 pm

Bejiita wrote:Those rock tunes mess up each of the movies, and I'd rather watch it in Japanese with chibbi Gohan screaming at the top of he's voice. People can make up whatever rubbush they can about the Japanese BGM, but bear in mind that it is the original music, and if it wern't that good, people wouldn't have watched it, even Akira Toriyama likes many scenes which feature musical tracks, and he isn't on about the dub...

Saying the original DBZ isn't as good as the dub is like saying The Simpsons is better in French than in English, which is stupid to say, now isn't it?
I suppose that's where we differ. I enjoy the rock music for Movie 8, but I could live the rest of my life happily without hearing Gohan 'screaming at the top of his lungs' in Japanese.

See, to me, the images of Broly beating the living daylights out of Goku and the others seems to fit better with hard rock music than classical.

It's odd, really. I actually prefer softer kinds of music for normal listening, but when it comes to DBZ, if it's not rock or simular, it just doesn't feel complete to me.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:25 pm

I have to agree.
For me the best way to watch someone getting their ass royally kicked is with some heavy music.
When I watch the origional (which I do enjoy BTW), I hear the music and can't help but be reminded of TMNT. I love TMNT but it is just different. Apart from DBZ being a much faster paced show I just think that it works better with heavier music.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:28 pm

I simply despise the dub music, be it the "brand name" music they use for the movies or the dubs own score, love the original Japanese score though.

I think the use of "brand name" music so to speak in the dub is even worse than their own created music, because the stuff just seems so completely out of place from scene to scene (especially in movie 4 I think it was.....).

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:29 pm

askani son wrote:I have to agree.
For me the best way to watch someone getting their ass royally kicked is with some heavy music.
When I watch the origional (which I do enjoy BTW), I hear the music and can't help but be reminded of TMNT. I love TMNT but it is just different. Apart from DBZ being a much faster paced show I just think that it works better with heavier music.
It's because you like some rock music and I don't. So rather than put up with it I just didn't watch it. Well, actually I turned it off half way and then watched it from where I left off wishing I had the Japanese one.

I can only listen to some of Limp Bizket tunes, I saw a DBZ music video ages ago with the Rolling song and it was quite good. But movie 8 goes over the top. the Trunks special was acceptable, it was better at the start and got worse.

And I was exaggerating a bit on the Gohan screaming at the top of he's voice, but you do hear it in loads of episodes.

I guess if you start watching the Japanese episodes form the start, you get familiar with the BGM, and as the episodes progress and certain events take place with a certain BGM track, you remember the BGM, and you find it being played in other episodes and say, 'oh, it's that tune' and they are catchy tunes too. Even the episode recap music is good, the dubs is an annoying continous beat that keeps replaying and you just think 'come on, when will the episode start?'

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:55 pm

Rock the Dragon actually prevented me watching DBZ. I remimber way back hearing about it from some friends, then I happened to be by a TV with satellite so I stuck it on.

Dragon Dragon, Dragon Ball ZZZZzzzzzzz!!!!.

I turned it off

True story...
I have to agree.
I disagree, with regard to DBZ anyway. Its supposed to be epic, life and death fate of the world stuff. I'd hate to see Luke fight Vader to the sound of blaring Deftones for example.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:01 pm

I think the main problem for those of us who simply prefer the original BGM, is not necessarily because the replacement music isn't good, but because we know changing the music in a tv series or movie is a bad, bad idea. The original music was there for a reason, because the director felt that those particular cues fit the scene and added atmosphere. Replacing the music changes much more than you'd think.