New composer for Kai - who would it be?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: New composer for Kai - who would it be?

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 am

While I like Yoko Kanno's music (though not necessarily one of my favorites), I agree we might be risking another similar scandal because she has been accused of ripping off on the internet for a good while. I didn't believe it until I came across a comparison clip on youtube. I was so dissapointed, the OST for Wolf's Rain is one of all time favorites. Though I admit, I like her version more.

As for who I'd like to do the music for DB in the future.

Shiro Sagisu has already been mentioned , but I'd pick him because of his score for Bleach. He is really one of the most versatile soundtrack composers I have heard.
Yasuharu Takanashi has done amazing work for the 1st Fairy Tail OST and some really great pieces for Naruto Shippuden.
Kouhei Tanaka, also mentioned, has a style that I think would fit the most, but I'm not sure about Dragon Ball and One Piece sharing something else in common. Some might think they're similar enough as it is already.
Taku Iwasaki too, but apparently he has a penchant for adding rap into his music and I don't know if that could be made to fit with a story like Dragon Ball.

A composer whose music I really like now is Sawano Hiroyuki. His work on Sengoku Basara left me really impressed, same as with the one he did for Ao no Exorcist. The only problem I have is that a lot of his more upbeat songs, while not really similar too eachother, do tend to follow the same formula , build up to an epic moment sorta feel. I'm not sure I'm explaining this right. And it's an epicness that might be a little too much for DB, but I think it could work.
His softer songs are brilliant though.

I would have loved to post some links as examples but I'm not sure if it's allowed.
Last edited by Michsi on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Ms. Yuki Kajiura (Mai Hime, Mai Otome, Noir, Tsubasa Chronicle) she`s one of my favorite anime composers, I'm sure she would create something excellent for Kai too
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 am

My pick is Shigeaki Saegusa - 三枝 成彰. The guy who composed for UC Gundam franchise.
or Seiji Yokoyama - 横山 菁児 who did Saint Seiya and Space Pirate Harlock music.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 am

My pick would be Takaki Hiroshi. I've checked some of his work for The Tytania Anime Soundtrack and it's A Symphonic Master piece. The guy has talent!! He's my fav composer for db so far Good thing They have kept him for a while,

But if it's not takaki. I would choose Seiji Yokoyama. He's just one of the best!! But it would kind of be interesting if John Williams Composed for db. It will never happen but. It would be awesome. My vote goes for Takaki anyway.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:20 am

Shigeaki Saegusa-Zeta Gundam (I can imagine some of his music working well with fight scenes)
Megumi Ohashi-Transformers Galaxy Force (Cybertron in US), and Blue Dragon Anime

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:46 pm

James Horner could suit the DB franchise very well, tracks from Yamamoto Kai were ripped off from Avatar's soundtrack and others.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:40 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:James Horner could suit the DB franchise very well, tracks from Yamamoto Kai were ripped off from Avatar's soundtrack and others.
Nah, he'd probably still be angry with Toei over the whole affair. Which was why I'd either have Shiro Sagisu (Bleach, Evangelion), or Jeremy Soule (Total Annihilation, Skyrim), seeing as neither composer is tainted by the scandal.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Tyler Bates, wow, it would've been awesome if the music he composed for 300 was used in Kai.

The track "Return A King" is simply... Literally... Fucking epic awesome! :shock:

Whoever composed for Tekken 2010 was pretty good too, the track "Dog - War (Instrumental)" is my favourite.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Tyler Bates isn't really a reliable composer, given that he's been accused of plagiarism when he composed 300.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Hades wrote:Tyler Bates isn't really a reliable composer, given that he's been accused of plagiarism when he composed 300.
Heh...at this point, I think that would make it all funnier if he became the new composer for Kai. Replacing Yamamoto's plagiarized music with someone else's plagiarized music.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat May 26, 2012 6:42 pm

I enjoy Katsuo Ono's music from the Detective Conan/Case Closed series. It'd be interesting to hear how that would have turned out.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat May 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self Indulgence, I don't know why just because.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 am

Whoever composes for FMA Brotherhood would get my vote if they were nominated to rescore Kai.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing how Kōtarō Nakagawa and Hitomi Kuroishi would compose for the show.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self Indulgence, I don't know why just because.
Wait, what? His name is "Urine"? Jesus, I can imagine the jokes he'd have gotten at school... :shock:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:36 am

John Williams.