Vegeta's Hair debacle

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Vegeta's Hair debacle

Post by Necrosaber » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 am

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but am I correct in saying that Vegeta's haircut(or mustache) in GT is NOT a plothole? Everytime I go to a video on youtube and it's GT related, it's spammed with comments about how he can't grow a mustache or cut his hair. People make this argument on what Vegeta said back in Z on how "a Saiyan's hair doesn't change since the day he is born."

Now, whether or not it's a slight dub flub is irrelevant. He never said one couldn't cut it or grow facial hair. Now, Nappa could've been born bald (though we see him in filler *I think* with hair) but I seriously doubt he was born with a full goatee. I always assumed that Vegeta meant that when they're born, they pop out with a full head of hair and it doesn't grow out of that hairstyle.

Am I wrong? Did I misunderstand a line somewhere? Seems like everyone and their mother on the internet perpetuates this as a plothole and I'm just not seeing it. :?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Vegeta's Hair debacle

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 am

You are correct, it's not a plot hole. This "Saiyan hair doesn't change" was in the original manga too. If a Saiyan has a haircut, after some time, his hair will grow back exactly as they were before. However, a Saiyan can go bald and grow facial hair, according to Toriyama himself in SEG.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

peter291
Not-So-Newbie

Post by peter291 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 am

I seriously doubt he was born with a full goatee
Haha, I just imagined bald infant Nappa with such beard :lol:

I have wondered also about Vegeta's hair. When he was a kid he had a fringe, but in the main series his hair looks like the first stages of baldness [high forehead].

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 am

Raditz couldn't have possibly born with hair ~5 times longer than his body's height.

And if anyone cares, I don't accept that hairstyle of Vegeta. IMHO he's always had widow's peak.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:57 am

hleV wrote:Raditz couldn't have possibly born with hair ~5 times longer than his body's height.
They probably thought that he was a Wookie at first! :lol:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 am

Saiyan hair is simple. Its just like human body hair. It just grows to a certain extent and then stops (human hair, unlike human body hair, continues to grow and grow).

And just lile human body hair, how much does it grow, and its format, depends on the individual. Some Saiyans just have very long hair (Raditz), just like some humans have very long body hair. Others, not so much.

Also, just like human body hair, it can be affected by age.

So basically the only thing special about Saiyan hair, compared to human hair, is that it stops growing after a certain extent and seems to have a more fixed and crazy format.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Echoing rereboy, Saiyan hair just has a certain shape and length it will always reach and then stop. It can still be cut, it can still grow back, it can still fall out, and they can still grow facial hair. It's just that, if they haven't gone bald yet and they don't trim for a while, it will always go back to their set shape and stop. Anyone arguing they're born with a full head of hair or that it can never change is seriously misinterpreting what we hear about it.

The whole thing was just Toriyama coming up with a goofy way of explaining why Goku and Vegeta's hair doesn't grow in the Room of Spirit and Time (or other situations), while other characters' does. The real-world answer: Because their hair is iconic and he didn't want to change it. The in-universe answer: Uh ... Saiyan hair?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:33 pm

The idea of the hair only growing to a certain length and shape isn't even that odd. The hair on your head may continue to grow and grow, but things like eyebrows generally grow to a set shape and length and then stop.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Even if it were a plothole, it would be on Toriyama since he came up with the design (unless I'm mistaken).

Also, I think the fact that Vegeta has the fringe in the Bardock special then a widow's peak in the main series fits with Nappa going from having hair to being bald. It's like a receding hairline.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 am

Vegeta's hair does start growing back over the course of GT.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 am

Sun-Wukong wrote:Even if it were a plothole, it would be on Toriyama since he came up with the design (unless I'm mistaken).

Also, I think the fact that Vegeta has the fringe in the Bardock special then a widow's peak in the main series fits with Nappa going from having hair to being bald. It's like a receding hairline.
That fact doesn't make sense, thus shouldn't be considered as fact present in the original DB.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 am

hleV wrote:
Sun-Wukong wrote:Even if it were a plothole, it would be on Toriyama since he came up with the design (unless I'm mistaken).

That fact doesn't make sense, thus shouldn't be considered as fact present in the original DB.

Why doesn't it make sense? It's not like it was said saiyans can't loose hair as they grow older. In a drawing Toriyama did with Goku as an old man, he was without his fringe, also probably in order to make him look older.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:48 am

But... Vegeta having a fringe isn't in the manga, so what does it matter?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:53 am

Saiga wrote:But... Vegeta having a fringe isn't in the manga, so what does it matter?
We have no idea if it is "in" the manga or not, we never see him as a child...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 am

Michsi wrote: Why doesn't it make sense? It's not like it was said saiyans can't loose hair as they grow older. In a drawing Toriyama did with Goku as an old man, he was without his fringe, also probably in order to make him look older.
This is why:

ImageImage

The structure of the hair on Vegeta's forehead couldn't have changed like that.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 am

Widow's peaks, especially ones that severe, are usually because of hair loss and hair loss explains that perfectly.
I still don't see why it can't make sense.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am

I get his point, which is mainly about the middle potion and how it isn't even close to how it appears once he is an adult:

ImageImage

But I personally don't see the problem. Their hair can change over the course of their life, so who says that he didn't start losing the hair on the sides and then grow the lower portion of his widows peak?

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:20 am

Why would Vegeta already have had lost hair at the time he's introduced in the original story, when he's still relatively young? Sorry but this just doesn't work.
Last edited by hleV on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 am

hleV wrote:Why would he lose hair...
Because when he was a kid he took after his mother and as an adult his father's genes became more dominant? Because some people just do? Back when I was in high school, there were kids that were 13 and already struggling with going bald while they were just starting to deal with puberty...some people are just unlucky.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:some people are just unlucky.
So Toei decided to make Vegeta one of the unlucky ones and it's now accepted as true to the original? (I know you're not saying that at all, but think from another POV. Like AT's.)
If you people really mean it and there really is a slight chance that Vegeta was like that in his youth, there's just no way I can accept such a random and unlikely Bardock special's feature as true to the original story. It just looks too random to me. Such as Toei itself.
Last edited by hleV on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.