Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors Blog

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors Blog

Post by AlexFili » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:52 am

DragonBall Z: Legendary Super Warriors is a Turn-Based Strategy game based on the hit anime series Dragonball Z for the Gameboy Color, the game was released on June 30, 2002 and is available in US English, EU English and JP Japanese. It is a very popular game with the Dragonball Z fanbase, in particular because of the complex and intricate sprites which have been copied and used in many different spritesheets.

Last week I started a blog about the game, and I would love if every Dragonball Z fan who enjoys the game would 'follow' the blog and even contribute a few funny stories or information about the game. As a participant of the blog, please feel free to post any LSW related material, tips, tactics and ask as many questions as you’d like. We’ll be posting character information monthly, along with player progress.

I am AlexFili, the main administrator of the DBZ LSW Blog. Kevtrev is another DBZ LSW player who will also be contributing to this blog.

http://legendarysuperwarriors.tumblr.com/
http://legendarysuperwarriors.wordpress.com/

Thank you!

DBZ LSW Interview with VenomSymbiote
http://legendarysuperwarriors.tumblr.co ... i-had-with
Last edited by AlexFili on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
=
Singer, Swordfighter and Livestreamer

Like Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GBC? Check out our Wordpress site which contains all the Character Focus articles and Let's Play Video Links! http://legendarysuperwarriors.wordpress.com/
=

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors Blog

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Legendary Super Warriors is by far my favorite DBZ game. I actually wrote a write up myself on it quite some time ago, to help Kanzentai out with their video game guide. Hujio still hasn't updated that particular section of the guide just yet (not that I am going to pressure him to do so), so, seeing as how you're site looks halfway decent, would you like the writeup I wrote? I basically covered the game in its entirety, and I wrote it with nearly 10 years of experience playing the game (I still have my copy, and it works!)

EDIT: I have a question- what exactly is the source for some of the things on the website? For example, the post regarding Tiers of characters in Random Battle mode- the explanation makes sense and all, but in all my time playing the game, I've never once come across this tidbit.

Also, I should point out that most of the translations "oddities" are mostly from the European version of the game. That's not to say that the American version is devoid of any problems (for instance, the "Neptune" line is present in both, among a few others), but generally speaking, the American version is written a bit better. That's something you might want to note.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 am

I'll be happy to answer your questions. I wasn't aware of a guide, except the one at the RPG Shrine website.
If you'd like to send me your guide then by all means do so. It would be a pleasure to read more about this game that me and my friends enjoy.

The explanation of tiers comes from personal experience. I noticed when I was playing Battle Mode you were only allowed to fight similar opponents. For example, if you selected a base Saiyan, you would only ever fight someone as strong as Ginyu. Or for example you selected Super Saiyan Vegeta, you'd only ever fight another Super Saiyan, Semi-Perfect Cell, Freeza etc. Following that discovery I made several linking diagrams between character portraits. With this information I was able to form these "tiers" (the kind you find in fighting games such as Smash Bros or Street Fighter). Without direct contact with the game developers it's hard to know the exact nature of the game, but as far as I know, the tiers seem to make sense.

My friend possesses the European version of this game, so he knows the most about the 'lost' phenomenon. The American translation is indeed more accurate, although still with a couple of oddities. I have never once in my life seen a story where the yell "Aaaaarrrggghhh!" is rendered as simply "A!"
=

Like Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GBC? Check out our Wordpress site which contains all the Character Focus articles and Let's Play Video Links! http://legendarysuperwarriors.wordpress.com/
=

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:00 am

I never gave this game a second thought. Glancing over your blog, it sounds like this must remedied. :)
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:12 am

"Neptune" is because the real planet Neptune is called "Kaiōsei" (Sea King Star) in Japanese, the same spelling as how King Kai's planet is called.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 am

Rocketman wrote:"Neptune" is because the real planet Neptune is called "Kaiōsei" (Sea King Star) in Japanese, the same spelling as how King Kai's planet is called.
Never knew that, interesting.
One other translation goof is Trunks calling his father "Baba" for some reason. It's a stretch, but I guess baba = dada = daddy.....?

Anyhow, I submitted an article on Burter (I'm the Kevtrev guy) who is possibly my best character.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for the praises. Here's a picture of the 'Baba' incident.

=

=

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:One other translation goof is Trunks calling his father "Baba" for some reason. It's a stretch, but I guess baba = dada = daddy.....?
Kid Trunks always calls him Papa, and "papa" (パパ) is just one diacritic away from "baba" (ババ). Maybe the translator had to work from tiny out-of-context text dumps, which could also explain the Neptune thing.
-Rachel

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Text dumps would also explain the find 'die' replace with 'lost' tactic too.
Apparently things like Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs are still used by translators today.
=

=

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:28 pm

AlexFili wrote:I'll be happy to answer your questions. I wasn't aware of a guide, except the one at the RPG Shrine website.
If you'd like to send me your guide then by all means do so. It would be a pleasure to read more about this game that me and my friends enjoy.
The one on RPG Shrines is great. And yeah, I've never actually distributed the guide I wrote before. Would you mind linking it on your blog? That'd be pretty sweet (just be sure to note I wrote it).

Anyway, here it is. Hope it's enlightening in some way!

http://pastebin.com/jhnuNH9k
AlexFili wrote: The explanation of tiers comes from personal experience. I noticed when I was playing Battle Mode you were only allowed to fight similar opponents. For example, if you selected a base Saiyan, you would only ever fight someone as strong as Ginyu. Or for example you selected Super Saiyan Vegeta, you'd only ever fight another Super Saiyan, Semi-Perfect Cell, Freeza etc. Following that discovery I made several linking diagrams between character portraits. With this information I was able to form these "tiers" (the kind you find in fighting games such as Smash Bros or Street Fighter). Without direct contact with the game developers it's hard to know the exact nature of the game, but as far as I know, the tiers seem to make sense.
Ah, I see. Very clever! I always suspected such a thing, but it never occured to me to explore it further. Nice job!

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:22 am

I'll check out the link soon. One other mistake I noticed was that Vegito was spelt incorrectly in some cases. Raditz was also accidently spelt Radditz in the EU version.
=

=

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 am

I liked the game but was terrible at it. Got stuck against Freeza as a SSJ, I always got so close to beating him...

I'll read your blog for sure. Because as a whole I love the whole gameplay, sprites and tactics ie.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 pm

It was a tough game. I remember playing it once before and having to use cheats because I found the game so hard. Now I can beat it. Still hate doing the first story playthru without any characters or cards. Second time around is more fun since you unlock all the bad guys.
=

=

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 pm

AlexFili wrote:It was a tough game. I remember playing it once before and having to use cheats because I found the game so hard. Now I can beat it. Still hate doing the first story playthru without any characters or cards. Second time around is more fun since you unlock all the bad guys.
Which is why I still think my copy is glitched or something. Every time I started the game anew, it just deleted all of my old save file and wouldn't unlock villains for me, no matter what I did. :?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 pm

More than likely what happened is that the internal battery for the game is dying. That problem affected my copy of Pokemon Crystal, which is why I can't play it anymore. It happens, and it'll happen more and more often as these old Game Boy games age.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 am

Hopefully the digital age will stop hardware failures like this from happening. I remember when a friend's copy of Mario Party 64 did that and wiped all the data. Sad times. I've added a short podcast to the blog for everyone to check out.
=

=

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Ah, I didn't know about that being why old games started dying. :?

That's the weird thing though, it's always done this for my copy. Ever since I bought it, brand new. So I guess I got unlucky and got a faulty copy. Maybe I should try to find a new one somewhere for cheap.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:02 am

If anyone wants to take part in the DBZ LSW interviews then let me know. At the moment I don't know how to record a Skype conversation but I'm open to ideas if anyone has some.
=

=

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I played the crap out of this game back when it was released, hell preferred it over (IMHO) the GBA RPGs which were to bland and no thought or work put into it.

LSW was at least different and a lot more fun to play!

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 pm

I definitely agree. LSW certainly won in terms of tactics, multiplayer action and versatility of the characters.
To have characters like #19 and Burter, optional missions, secret items and cards... it was a cut above the rest of the games.
=

=