Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:00 am

I'm not a fan of these bricks but they're looking tempting.. Boxed/packaging, that is.

Season One

Season Two

Season Three

Season Four

Season Five

Season Six

Season Seven

Season Eight

Season Nine

http://www.thehut.com/dvd/elysium.searc ... ZkIQ%3D%3D

Each brick costs £25.95 (26% Discount) / €31.43

Now, I know the quality's shit of these bricks but for £25.95 it's better than nothing, and this really is the only release of the DBZ series in UK/Europe.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Boxes Art

Post by Rory » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:07 am

On one hand I wanna support Dragon Ball in the UK, on the other... it's the orange fucking bricks.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 am

Why the inconsistent rating?! The first two are 12+ and the rest are PG?! I believe Madman's releases were also inconsistent with the age ratings as well.
Rory wrote:On one hand I wanna support Dragon Ball in the UK, on the other... it's the orange fucking bricks.
Same here. I got all the Boxes and I don't the the bricks.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:31 am

Madman just used the the covers they redesigned for Australia. Only difference is the ratings.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:51 pm

PG? I thought this release was a 12 (PG-13). Were the American/Australian releases the same?

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Rory wrote:On one hand I wanna support Dragon Ball in the UK, on the other... it's the orange fucking bricks.
I only have the first 3 Dboxes. Not really that bothered about the show anymore to wanna buy £30+ boxsets, but I wouldn't mind picking up the Orange Bricks when they're inevitably £10 in a few months after each release.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:Why the inconsistent rating?! The first two are 12+ and the rest are PG?! I believe Madman's releases were also inconsistent with the age ratings as well.
I think they're just placeholders... no way are the first 2 seasons 12, but the rest of the show PG. Plus, the last couple of boxes aren't out until 2013, so there's no way they have all the ratings done already...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Paradox295 wrote:I think they're just placeholders... no way are the first 2 seasons 12, but the rest of the show PG. Plus, the last couple of boxes aren't out until 2013, so there's no way they have all the ratings done already...
Yeah, PG rating for Freeza's arc doesn't go well, I mean, Freeza impailing Kuririn was a very violent scene and also, in many countries it was removed due to its horror/violence shown (they didn't want the kids to see this).

15 is the age rating that should be given, and also during Cell's arc where Cell absorbs that fat human.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Here in New Zealand seasons 3 and 5 both received an 'M' rating, as did the DBZ Movie 7/9 double feature. The rest were all PG.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Paradox295 wrote:I think they're just placeholders... no way are the first 2 seasons 12, but the rest of the show PG. Plus, the last couple of boxes aren't out until 2013, so there's no way they have all the ratings done already...
Yeah, PG rating for Freeza's arc doesn't go well, I mean, Freeza impailing Kuririn was a very violent scene and also, in many countries it was removed due to its horror/violence shown (they didn't want the kids to see this).

15 is the age rating that should be given, and also during Cell's arc where Cell absorbs that fat human.
Yeah, they should all be 12+, with the first three seasons being 15+.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 pm

funrush wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

Yeah, they should all be 12+, with the first three seasons being 15+.
They're all PG in America, so I dunno why they couldn't just lay rest at that.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:31 am

I dunno, we get some pretty weird ratings here in the UK. I mean, Naruto is constantly going through either 12 or 15 ratings, and really, I can't imagine that DBZ wouldn't have similar age ratings. If only to cover arses as to what gets called too much violence, fantasy or otherwise. I mean, I have to agree that the Freeza impaling Kurilin scene would probably be more likely to get a 15 here. What doesn't help is that Manga's releases don't tend to put the reasons for ratings on their boxes any more, so we can't take an educated guess at what might be the bits to cause it to be a 15 over a 12. Looking at my shelf of anime, the only ones that really get any reasoning behind ratings any more are MVM releases. Hell, even on the Baccano box, an 18, it doesn't say exactly why it's an 18.

Post Script Edit:

I wouldn't take too much stock in the fact that the boxes from 3 onwards are PG. I distinctly remember Samurai Girls ranging from 15 to 12 to 18, on sites, before it was finalised as an 18.

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:

BBFC lists a "PG" as...

Moderate violence, without detail, may be allowed, if justified by its context (for example, history, comedy or fantasy).

..a lot of those scenes have detail, so it's unlikely to be PG. 12 is...

Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated, and must have a strong contextual justification.

...and a 15 as...

Violence may be strong but should not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury. The strongest gory images are unlikely to be acceptable.

Going by the Australian ratings, most of them will be 12, with 3 & 5 being 15.

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:38 pm

What I want to know is, how do they get away with not using the Funimation logo on the box? I know the Madman DVDs have to have it there.

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Dizrythmia wrote:What I want to know is, how do they get away with not using the Funimation logo on the box? I know the Madman DVDs have to have it there.
Cos they licensed it through Toei, rather than Funi.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Assuming we're getting the Funi dub, I assume that the age ratings are something to do with the dub. Season 1 and 2 were dubbed later that the others, and were only for DVD (I think) so I think it might have something to do with swearing. It's not anything major, but might just be enough to get a 12 rating.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

NessMudkip wrote:Assuming we're getting the Funi dub, I assume that the age ratings are something to do with the dub. Season 1 and 2 were dubbed later that the others, and were only for DVD (I think) so I think it might have something to do with swearing. It's not anything major, but might just be enough to get a 12 rating.
The redub did air on Cartoon Network, but it did have some swearing, more in season 2. Mostly "damn", but I think there's one or two instances of "piss".

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
NessMudkip wrote:Assuming we're getting the Funi dub, I assume that the age ratings are something to do with the dub. Season 1 and 2 were dubbed later that the others, and were only for DVD (I think) so I think it might have something to do with swearing. It's not anything major, but might just be enough to get a 12 rating.
The redub did air on Cartoon Network, but it did have some swearing, more in season 2. Mostly "damn", but I think there's one or two instances of "piss".
Yeah, if it's only that it might stay as a PG, but combined with Freeza impaling Kuririn, it'll probably be a 12, maybe even a 15.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Paradox295 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

BBFC lists a "PG" as...

Moderate violence, without detail, may be allowed, if justified by its context (for example, history, comedy or fantasy).

Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated, and must have a strong contextual justification.

...and a 15 as...

Violence may be strong but should not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury. The strongest gory images are unlikely to be acceptable.

Wouldn't Season 1 be 15, too?

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Nah. You can get away with minor swearing like that in a 12. Along with, if I remember correctly, one use of the f-word, but not 2 or more.

Which is why Manga Ent used to add extra F words to their dubs back in the 90s.
funrush wrote:
Paradox295 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

BBFC lists a "PG" as...

...and a 15 as...

Wouldn't Season 1 be 15, too?
Mmmmm not sure. This is just guesswork, since 3 and 5 are M rated, and they'd probably have similar ratings... but they might have different standards..

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Paradox295 wrote:
Dizrythmia wrote:What I want to know is, how do they get away with not using the Funimation logo on the box? I know the Madman DVDs have to have it there.
Cos they licensed it through Toei, rather than Funi.
How does that work?

Does Toei pay Funimation for using their dub or does Toei control all the dubs or something?