Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:56 am

Dragon Ball Super does two things better than My Hero Academia: it has down time and no platitudes about determination or friendship. Now, I haven't read all of Hero Aca but Christ, out of the 50+ chapters I have read, the pacing is way, way too fast. In just 50 regular sized chapters, we get Deku's training to become All Might 2, the entrance exams, a field test, a big villain brawl, an entire tournament and the big dark arc of the series isn't even finished yet.

On one hand, the pacing is kind of refreshing for a Shonen series which typically go nowhere at the speed of an inert brick but this feels like a total other extreme where there's literally no breathing room for the cast or the people experiencing the series. Super at least has the good sense to know to break up things in-between the big story lines to let the cast chill out for a bit to re-energize themselves and us for the next big thing. So far, My Hero Aca is just big fight big fight big fight and it's exhausting.

The platitudes about determination and friendship need no explanation, I don't why the fuck they keep happening or who started it but I would REALLY like it if Shonen series gave up on using them. This is one instance where Super sticking to DBs old style pays off, Toriyama never had overly dramatic flashbacks during battle or big speeches that make someone's spine grow back into shape after its been ripped out of their bodies and scattered across the multiverse because "DETERMINATION AND FRIENDSHIP BEAT ALL!".
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I have no problems with Goku character in the Boo arc, though some think he was quite an asshole there.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:03 pm

* The Buu arc is my favorite. In fact I think with DBZ the series actually improves with each arc. Well the Frieza and Cell arc are almost equal to me but Cell slightly edges it out because it has more favorite moments for me.

* As for Cell VS Frieza as villains I honestly found neither all that special and I just enjoyed seeing them both defeated. It's the Z-Fighters not the villains that made these arcs for me.

* I love Dragon Ball Super (it's definitely better to me than GT no comparison) and speaking of villains I think Goku Black & Zamasu were probably the best villains we've had so far in the Dragon Ball franchise. I did find the ending of the arc disappointing though

* As the years go by I've become less tolerant of Master Roshi and Oolong's perverted antics. It's really not funny.

* I am not a big fan of Christopher Sabat's Vegeta. I can tolerate it but I much prefer Ryo Horikawa. Sabat sounds too gruff to me (I like his Piccolo though)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball Super does two things better than My Hero Academia: it has down time and no platitudes about determination or friendship. Now, I haven't read all of Hero Aca but Christ, out of the 50+ chapters I have read, the pacing is way, way too fast. In just 50 regular sized chapters, we get Deku's training to become All Might 2, the entrance exams, a field test, a big villain brawl, an entire tournament and the big dark arc of the series isn't even finished yet.

On one hand, the pacing is kind of refreshing for a Shonen series which typically go nowhere at the speed of an inert brick but this feels like a total other extreme where there's literally no breathing room for the cast or the people experiencing the series. Super at least has the good sense to know to break up things in-between the big story lines to let the cast chill out for a bit to re-energize themselves and us for the next big thing. So far, My Hero Aca is just big fight big fight big fight and it's exhausting.

The platitudes about determination and friendship need no explanation, I don't why the fuck they keep happening or who started it but I would REALLY like it if Shonen series gave up on using them. This is one instance where Super sticking to DBs old style pays off, Toriyama never had overly dramatic flashbacks during battle or big speeches that make someone's spine grow back into shape after its been ripped out of their bodies and scattered across the multiverse because "DETERMINATION AND FRIENDSHIP BEAT ALL!".
That's what I hate about modern Shonen series because they had friendship bullshit. Older Shonen series like Devilman, Mazinger, City Hunter, Jojo, Fist of the North Star, Ashita no Joe, Record of Lodoss War, Casshan, Black Jack and several others never had this level of garbage. It's the reason why I can't stand watching Fairy Tail after two episodes of it. Even Dragon Ball never reach that level of garbage in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball Super does two things better than My Hero Academia: it has down time and no platitudes about determination or friendship. Now, I haven't read all of Hero Aca but Christ, out of the 50+ chapters I have read, the pacing is way, way too fast. In just 50 regular sized chapters, we get Deku's training to become All Might 2, the entrance exams, a field test, a big villain brawl, an entire tournament and the big dark arc of the series isn't even finished yet.

That's what I hate about modern Shonen series because they had friendship bullshit. Older Shonen series like Devilman, Mazinger, City Hunter, Jojo, Fist of the North Star, Ashita no Joe, Record of Lodoss War, Casshan, Black Jack and several others never had this level of garbage. It's the reason why I can't stand watching Fairy Tail after two episodes of it. Even Dragon Ball never reach that level of garbage in my opinion.
CITY HUNTER! I LOVE IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoHS0hH_1OE
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:11 pm

The worst offender of the friendship thing in anime has to be One Piece.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:The worst offender of the friendship thing in anime has to be One Piece.
Nah man that's Fairy Tail, It's mainly the English fandom that hypes up the importance of the word "nakama" in One Piece. Annoys the crap out of me seeing "nakama" in fan subs.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:The worst offender of the friendship thing in anime has to be One Piece.
Nah man that's Fairy Tail, It's mainly the English fandom that hypes up the importance of the word "nakama" in One Piece. Annoys the crap out of me seeing "nakama" in fan subs.
It annoys me as well, but was never a big fan of that show. When the hell is One Piece going to end? 2020 or something?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't why the fuck they keep happening or who started it
One Piece probably? I remember Kenshin had some friendship speeches towards the end though, but it was a rescue arc so it's understandable.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:56 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I don't why the fuck they keep happening or who started it
One Piece probably? I remember Kenshin had some friendship speeches towards the end though, but it was a rescue arc so it's understandable.
Yu-Gi-Oh! has a lot of friendship themes and pre-dates One Piece by a year. There is also the Pokemon and Digimon anime, yes they're Shonen, Ronin Warriors (Yoroiden Samurai Troopers), Fullmetal Alchemist (specifically the manga and Brotherhood). So the 'power of friendship' or friendship being a focus have been a thing since the 80s. Even Fist of the North Star has a bit of it, although it was far more play down.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:29 am

Saint Seiya had it too iirc. The WSJ slogan is "Friendship Effort Victory" or something close to that. Friendship is considered an important value and can be taught to kids(primary audience)via comics. So, it is a staple of shounen really. Some titles execute it great while some go overboard with it, but the concept has always been in existence. It is not a new thing.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 am

Not even close. In One Piece, friendship is an important value but you don't win any battles purely based on that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:41 am

I don't get what the problem is regarding the friendship issue.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 am

ABED wrote:I don't get what the problem is regarding the friendship issue.
I will give an extreme example from Fairly Tail: a seemingly invincible villain with control of space/time and stuff like that, and a hero with just fire control and the like, who is being absolutely thrashed by the villain. However, suddenly, the hero proceeds to defeat the villain in one punch without any other logical explanation besides "AHHH Feelings and friendship behind my fist" or something like that.

This actually happened in Fairy Tail, btw.

In short, there are some franchises that use "friendship" and "feelings" as a sort of uber or god mode that justifies the victories. And that's kind of ridiculous. One Piece doesn't actually do that, btw.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 am

I'm assuming because it's an overused and tired trope. The power of friendship's been done to death. At this point, if it's going to be done, it needs to be done interestingly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 am

OhHiRenan wrote:
I'm assuming because it's an overused and tired trips. The power of friendship's been done to death. At this point, if it's going to be done, it needs to be done interestingly.
It's like a version of the grandmother lifting a car up to save her grandchild. Like anything, it all depends on execution. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 am

Some people also find the whole friendship thing cheesy and corny.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

OhHiRenan wrote:
I'm assuming because it's an overused and tired trope. The power of friendship's been done to death. At this point, if it's going to be done, it needs to be done interestingly.
The power of friendship, believing in yourself, not giving up, etc are all shounen action tropes.

Of course they can be executed in many different ways to stay fresh. But they are part of what shounen is.

Yeah it can be a bit corny but I certainly don't watch shounen anime for its cynicism. There are plenty of other anime for that. Shounen anime is for kids or for people who want to relive a simpler time when your friends were forever.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Kaboom wrote:I would post "Kuririn is the strongest Earthling (and thus stronger than Tenshinhan)" but that's an established fact, not an opinion. Still, it's flabbergasting that it's so unpopular. Or maybe most people don't care, and there's simply a willfully ignorant portion of Tenshinhan's fanbase that's very outspoken.
Given that Tenshinhan's feats are more impressive than Kuririn's, it's easy to see why people refuse to believe that Kuririn is stronger.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Friendship, believing in your self, not giving up, etc. aren't tropes of Shonen action manga/anime. They are universal concepts that like anything else in fiction, depend on execution. Cynicism in fiction is just as bad if the execution is awful.