Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am

Kid Buu wrote:Piccolo's fight with Seventeen is boring because there doesn't seem to be any progression and it was anticlimactic; Vegeta's fight with Eighteen was much more entertaining.
:o :o . What!? Huh!? That well...IMO was amazing fight. Filled with hardass punches and kicks. It was to tire them out for Cell plot wise which could have ruined the "progression" for you.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:51 am

Maybe I'm biased since I didn't really care much for Piccolo too much until the Buu Saga.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 am

Kid Buu wrote:Maybe I'm biased since I didn't really care much for Piccolo too much until the Buu Saga.

Toshio Furukawa is one of my favourite VA's though.
WHAT!? THat's even worst :o . What's wrong with Piccolo pre Boo?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:56 am

It's mostly the way Toriyama handled him. Gets built-up only to fail against Freeza and Cell, so more so how Toriyama wrote him as opposed to the actual character himself.

He's really funny in the Buu Arc, especially his interactions with Goten and Trunks.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Kid Buu wrote:It's mostly the way Toriyama handled him. Gets built-up only to fail against Freeza and Cell, so more so how Toriyama wrote him as opposed to the actual character himself.

He's really funny in the Buu Arc, especially his interactions with Goten and Trunks.
Goten makes anyone better. He made Gohan MUCH MUCH better. Piccolo was built to beat Freeza? Piccolo failed against Cell? Didn't he get the information from Cell? That's not failing.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:It's mostly the way Toriyama handled him. Gets built-up only to fail against Freeza and Cell, so more so how Toriyama wrote him as opposed to the actual character himself.

Goten makes anyone better. He made Gohan MUCH MUCH better. Piccolo was built to beat Freeza? Piccolo failed against Cell? Didn't he get the information from Cell? That's not failing.
Piccolo trying to get information out of Cell is what led to Cell learning he could regenerate. Also, it was because of Piccolo that Cell even found the Androids. So yeah, I'd say Kamiccolo was a failure, sadly.

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:47 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: :o :o . What!? Huh!? That well...IMO was amazing fight. Filled with hardass punches and kicks. It was to tire them out for Cell plot wise which could have ruined the "progression" for you.
Seconded. Then again, I have a soft spot for the Garlic Jr Arc so what do I know? :P
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

Piccolo trying to get information out of Cell is what led to Cell learning he could regenerate. Also, it was because of Piccolo that Cell even found the Androids. So yeah, I'd say Kamiccolo was a failure, sadly.
Correction. Cyborgs found GOKU. That caused Cell to find them. The Z Fighters would had fought the cyborgs over letting them take Goku. So Piccolo didn't cause nothing

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Piccolo's fight with Seventeen is boring because there doesn't seem to be any progression and it was anticlimactic; Vegeta's fight with Eighteen was much more entertaining.
Agreed. All of the Cell/Cyborg arcs' fights were pitifully boring to me.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Here's my unpopular opinion: Yamcha vs Tenshinhan is probably in my top 5 fights of the whole series. Now that fight is hard hitting, fast paced action. I like it better than Ten vs Son Goku. I like to rewatch it sometimes for how good of a fight it is.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 am

Well, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you like that fight so much. I've always found it ovehyped, even though it's currently my avatar. :lol:

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:19 am

I greatly prefer the dub and the Faulconer music over the original.

I hate film grain and don't understand why people want it to be present in their releases. Not liking upscales or remasters where detail isn't preserved is one thing, but "getting rid of film grain" and "Keeping detail" aren't mutually exclusive.

Anything toriyama says should be taken with a metric ton of salt. He may have created the franchise, but I don't trust him for anything. He's simply too forgetful to be a reliable source of information.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 am

Jabberwock xeno wrote: but "getting rid of film grain" and "Keeping detail" aren't mutually exclusive.
Yes, they are. To get rid of grain, since its part of the picture, some detail will always be lost. The best you can hope for is to get rid of most of the grain without losing significant detail.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 am

Yeah, for the purposes of simplicity, it's akin to someone from the digital age saying you can remove pixels while keeping detail intact.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:14 am

Jabberwock xeno wrote: but "getting rid of film grain" and "Keeping detail" aren't mutually exclusive.
Yeah, sorry dude. As people have said already, that's objectively wrong.

As to why people want it in their releases? It's a part of the show, why wouldn't we? Do you want grain removed from films too? I don't really understand. It's part of the aesthetic and removing it takes away a layer of the show. Why do you think many modern animes have a layer of digital noise plastered over them nowadays? It's to retain that aesthetic. It gives the image more depth to it.

Even Battle of Gods had it to a degree. Its blacks and greys had a fine layer to it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:28 pm

It's funny. I was watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in theatres a few weeks ago, and after awhile, I noticed, to my delight, that it had obviously been shot on film rather than digitally. I smiled to myself, thinking, "You know, despite all the people I read on forums complaining about grain and wishing it would be wiped away, I bet there's not a single person here who thinks the image quality is lacking or even notices the grain that I'm purposely training my eyes on right now."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:07 am

Chaozu was a better villain than Tenshinhan.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 am

Vegeta and Chichi shares a LOT of similar quality. In the sense that Chi was the parody of stereotyped Japanese education mother and Vegeta is the stereotyped, almost infamous, proud, arrogant, burdened, troubled but brave and "honorable" image of the Japanese Samurai warrior. They are both "darkly realistic" characters that went against DBZ's supposed light-hearted style. Not a suprise they are both hated by the creator.

When you have the "typical" Japanese wife and the "typical" Japanese husband, i say they make a good couple.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:49 am

Eh. I agree with you about Chichi, and I agree that Vegeta is a darker character type than most other DB characters, but I vehemently disagree that there is anything honorable or samurai-code-like about Vegeta. He wears armor and fights. Those are about the only similarities. This is a guy who didn't give a shit that Raditz had died, nor did he want himself or Nappa to start trying to repopulate their almost-extinct race because he didn't want others trying to usurp him. He kills Nappa solely because he lost to an opponent. As far in as the Cell arc he asserts that earthlings are weird for not just killing anybody they find annoying. At his best, Vegeta is a very pragmatic fighter who will use any kind of advantage to further his own ends. But he has no honor. He has no code. Until the very end of the series, he operates on a very basic principle: "I'll do whatever the fuck I want, and who cares if that harms other people because they're not me."

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:29 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh. I agree with you about Chichi, and I agree that Vegeta is a darker character type than most other DB characters, but I vehemently disagree that there is anything honorable or samurai-code-like about Vegeta. He wears armor and fights. Those are about the only similarities. This is a guy who didn't give a shit that Raditz had died, nor did he want himself or Nappa to start trying to repopulate their almost-extinct race because he didn't want others trying to usurp him. He kills Nappa solely because he lost to an opponent. As far in as the Cell arc he asserts that earthlings are weird for not just killing anybody they find annoying. At his best, Vegeta is a very pragmatic fighter who will use any kind of advantage to further his own ends. But he has no honor. He has no code. Until the very end of the series, he operates on a very basic principle: "I'll do whatever the fuck I want, and who cares if that harms other people because they're not me."
II think when you break it down, it's just a cultural difference between Earthlings and Saiyans. I look at him as such a "Japanese Samurai warrior" in Saiyan standards. Saiyans are all evil killers, so among them he's just a bigger selfish asshole. Among humans, there are assholes, too, and the stereotype Samurais are not always "nice" people.

It's true he didn't give jackshit about anyone, that's why i put the word honorable in " ". . It's hard for me to explain my point with a guy like Vegeta, but i'll' try. I think his "honor" lies in the sense that he's true to what he wants to do. Look at Raditz. Everything he says is about pride and honor, but then he kidnapped a kid and said things like "Let go of my tail, I'll never come back" just to escape Goku's grip. I don't see Vegeta EVER doing that begging kind of cowardice, even if he was the guy who has power level of 1000. At his most evil, psycho state, he never choose other than the straightest way in front of his enemy. Yeah, he does what he wants, gives it his all, straight-forwardly and simple-mindedly, to the point of stupidity;and that is his code. He trains his ass off to be strong, fights a enemy when they are at the strongest. He does show fear and give up, but when he realized he screwed up, he takes the beating fair and square. In Cell Games he apologized to Gohan when he's "useless". Majin Vegeta takes his responsibility.

IMO a guy who withstands a beating, a GenkiDama, a Oozaruu, a slash to his back all head on and still fights straight and fair, no matter how evil he is, has a hell of a code of "honor". His sense of rivalry and pride, his attitude toward death when he's cornered, as well as his tsundere-ness to family life made him even more akin to that (in)famous Samurai image of the old Japanese.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.