Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 am

omaro34 wrote:Dende calling himself the "Guardian of Earth" yet not having to throw a single punch the entire show is the very ironic. What does he "guard" exactly? The Dragonballs? It's just a fancy title, nothing more. Outside of being linked to the balls he doesn't offer much else aside from healing.
Well, apart from that I think maybe "Guardian of the Lookout" would be more appropriate.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:33 pm

-Yamcha should've joined the Tournament instead of Roshi

- The U6 Saiyans achieved SSJ to easily

-Tenshinhan and Roshi are being wasted so far in this tournament

-Sumitomo's score is not good, but it's not bad either

- The only good Super endings are 2, 4 and 6.

- I would've rather had movies every few years than an new entire show.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:36 pm

MarCas92 wrote:-Yamcha should've joined the Tournament instead of Roshi

I don't think any of these are unpopular at all, they're the norm, if anything. People have been misusing this thread recently.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:-Yamcha should've joined the Tournament instead of Roshi

I don't think any of these are unpopular at all, they're the norm, if anything. People have been misusing this thread recently.
Really? From my experience people are LOVING Roshi making a comeback. The U6 SSJ thing seems to be split. I haven't seen Ten and Roshi's performance talked about that much. I also see people TRASHING Sumitomo. I've never heard anyone say they would've preferred movies, they usually just say they don't like Super. But hey, confirmation bias and stuff....
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:33 am

I honestly don't mind the way Goku is portrayed in Super other than moment's when they take his stupidity a bit to far(Beerus in Monaca suit).
I mean two of Goku's biggest traits have always been he is a bit selfish and he doesn't think about the consequences of his actions.
He's still serious In battle like he's always been, Super just has a lot of peace time in comparison to Z
He's not perfect, but I'd take it over Toei movie Goku
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Those people must think that Goku is such a manly character, when he's not as manly as someone like Kenshiro.
He's more childlike than manly in that he can be a bit selfish and doesn't think about the consequences very often. Some people want complete realism in a show like Dragon Ball and Large muscles and a high pitch voice don't go together to them.
[spoiler]"Japan must have "s*** tastes", because I just saw this a few days ago: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/05/17/a ... cs-awards/

It really tells you how worthy their "awards" are if they're awarding to the "worst of the worst voices" according to this board."[/spoiler]

Seriously these kind of Ignorant Dub fans on those Forums are the Worse
Ignore those people.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't know how unpopular this is but I'd like for Steve Blum to get another chance at voicing Goku in something while we're on the subject of his English VAs.
It is unpopular. Personally, I'd like to see him as either Vegeta, Frieza or Piccolo, although it's unlikely that'll ever happen.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I don't know how unpopular this is but I'd like for Steve Blum to get another chance at voicing Goku in something while we're on the subject of his English VAs.
It is unpopular. Personally, I'd like to see him as either Vegeta, Frieza or Piccolo, although it's unlikely that'll ever happen.
Yeah, from all the roles I've heard Blum do, he does not sound like he would fit Goku.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Steve Blum voicing Goku is like Peter Cullen voicing Bumblebee. Just a strange casting choice.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Kanassa wrote:Yeah, from all the roles I've heard Blum do, he does not sound like he would fit Goku.
The only characters I think his voice would fit as of right now are Hit and maybe Jiren. Might be typecasting but he's really well suited for the "Cool Customer" type.

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I've really come to love Hit's English voice in Xenoverse 2.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Yeah, from all the roles I've heard Blum do, he does not sound like he would fit Goku.
The only characters I think his voice would fit as of right now are Hit and maybe Jiren. Might be typecasting but he's really well suited for the "Cool Customer" type.

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I've really come to love Hit's English voice in Xenoverse 2.
The better term is "Badass" type IMO.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:

The better term is "Badass" type IMO.
I'd say Blum would be typecasted as the 'Grizzled, old guy/Psychotic Announcer' character
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Super would have benefited by following Toriyama's modern art style seen in such as the Battle of Gods movie poster. I really like what I could see from the 4D Broly movie as I think its mixing both the modern and the old.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
If Steve Blum did something like his Orochimaru but less-snake like, he could pull off Freeza.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 am

Piccolo is the most boring fucking character I have ever witnessed.

That one is sure to rile everyone up around here. And you know what's even worse? I think that the most interesting thing about him is Chris Sabat's voice performance, especially in modern stuff. At least playing up the 'demon' aspect of the character is something interesting. But in all other versions, Piccolo has nothing. What is he? The stern stoic guy? Naw, Ten does that so much better. Is he supposed to be the badass? He doesn't even touch Vegeta in that respect. Is he like, super wise? People always say that and I do not see it in the actual story.

He had a great character arc, don't get me wrong. But this just goes to show that character development and depth are no substitutes for having an interesting personality. That should always come first. And Piccolo does not.

Imagine if he wasn't green, and he was just a human, but kept the same look and personality. Would he be anywhere near as popular?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 am

Scott McNeil and Carlos Segundo are much much much better than Sabat at making Piccolo sound demonic and interesting.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:30 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Scott McNeil and Carlos Segundo are much much much better than Sabat at making Piccolo sound demonic and interesting.
And Furukawa as well. Sabat's a good actor, but you just can't beat Furukawa.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Scott McNeil and Carlos Segundo are much much much better than Sabat at making Piccolo sound demonic and interesting.
There are only a couple of cases where I prefer the dub actor to the Japanese, and Piccolo is one of them. Furukawa is obviously beloved here on Kanzenshuu, but I just don't get it. I mean, I can tell he's a fine actor, but he doesn't sound like a demon, or even just some alien from a far-off planet. He just sounds like some guy. He'd have been better suited to play Kuririn or something.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:22 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
There are only a couple of cases where I prefer the dub actor to the Japanese, and Piccolo is one of them. Furukawa is obviously beloved here on Kanzenshuu, but I just don't get it. I mean, I can tell he's a fine actor, but he doesn't sound like a demon, or even just some alien from a far-off planet. He just sounds like some guy. He'd have been better suited to play Kuririn or something.
Not really, Furukawa gives piccolo that raw Alien touch I mean compare it to his other humanly roles and its just that Furukawa's voice of piccolo is more smooth than Scott or Sabat but still he doesn't really sound like a normal guy. I mean try watching his Fight Against Son Gokū in 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament and just listen to that sinister Demon laugh and screams of him,no dub actor comes close.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 pm

I don't see how Furukawa's Piccolo sounds like a normal guy. He's one of the best casting choices in the show.