Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:35 am

DragonBallKing wrote:I really don't find TFS very funny, they have few funny bits but it's mostly hit or miss for me. I really confuses me that it's considered comedy gold , but then again comedy is subjective.
Agreed, and what I also find irritating is if you don't agree with TFS fans, many will claim you just don't understand.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I really don't find TFS very funny, they have few funny bits but it's mostly hit or miss for me. I really confuses me that it's considered comedy gold , but then again comedy is subjective.
Me either. And the fact that their fans go to such lengths to defend them or insist their version is canon. :lolno:

Recently, TFS got a irl-copyright strike from a Toei rep. and they posted about it. Their fanboys proceeded to lash out at Toei on Twitter :/

At least Lani apologized.
TFS Fanboys like this are the absolute worst
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/fact- ... 453704901/
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... _the_best/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/3 ... ing_to_me/
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:54 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Me either. And the fact that their fans go to such lengths to defend them or insist their version is canon. :lolno:

Recently, TFS got a irl-copyright strike from a Toei rep. and they posted about it. Their fanboys proceeded to lash out at Toei on Twitter :/

I mean... You know, whatever works. Yes, it's irritating to a diehard Dragon Ball fan, but if it's bringing in fans that don't necessarily care about Dragon Ball, then it's opening the door to newer fans. Whether we want those types of newer fans or not is a different story, but I think that someone who would write things like that is probably still young and maybe will actually give Dragon Ball more of a chance as they get older.

Personally, I never could stand Pokemon. So if a version of Pokemon comes out that I enjoy (whether it be a "fan-based parody" or not) would it really matter? If they're not fans of the original, then they have a totally different mindset than you or I do about TFS vs the original.

Because TFS isn't really a parody and is actually retelling the story instead of going off on a tangent, then is this really different than a dub fan? If all we had was a more adult dub that was chopped up (like Funimation was doing originally), would that make it any different than this? To shun TFS fans is to shun dub fans and would-be dub fans. Thus, I don't mind this. It's yet another way to get into Dragon Ball.

Forewarning: Don't debate these fans about actual facts because they'll never be on the same playing field, but they will at least know the gist of the series. Not a bad trade-off.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:17 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

I mean... You know, whatever works. Yes, it's irritating to a diehard Dragon Ball fan, but if it's bringing in fans that don't necessarily care about Dragon Ball, then it's opening the door to newer fans. Whether we want those types of newer fans or not is a different story, but I think that someone who would write things like that is probably still young and maybe will actually give Dragon Ball more of a chance as they get older.

Personally, I never could stand Pokemon. So if a version of Pokemon comes out that I enjoy (whether it be a "fan-based parody" or not) would it really matter? If they're not fans of the original, then they have a totally different mindset than you or I do about TFS vs the original.

Because TFS isn't really a parody and is actually retelling the story instead of going off on a tangent, then is this really different than a dub fan? If all we had was a more adult dub that was chopped up (like Funimation was doing originally), would that make it any different than this? To shun TFS fans is to shun dub fans and would-be dub fans. Thus, I don't mind this. It's yet another way to get into Dragon Ball.

Forewarning: Don't debate these fans about actual facts because they'll never be on the same playing field, but they will at least know the gist of the series. Not a bad trade-off.
Comparing 1999 Funi to TFS really isn't relevant. Even as altered and dumbed down as the early Funi dub could be at times I'd say it still represents the source better than some over the top parody.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Did it really represent the source "better?" It definitely took itself more seriously, but it altered many things as well. At least TFS just puts a comedic spin on it. Still, they drive the story along and you know what the story is by watching DBZA. I think that it's just a case of a slippery slope -- we've allowed Funimation to tinker with the series but then shun others when they tinker a bit more? Where's that clear-cut line that says, "No, you shall not cross this! You can only tinker x amount?" It doesn't exist. So I think that had that original Ocean run happened the way it was happening where a bunch of the series would be cut up and pieces of the story would be altered here and there, who's to say that a fan of that is any less of a DB fan? And if we're going to accept them, then what's so bad about accepting someone who is introduced to it through TFS?

It's not like TFS is outrageous and has Piccolo as Gohan's sister and Bulma married to Roshi or something -- it's basically a more over-the-top comedic retelling of DBZ. So, I don't have a problem with it. Where it becomes a problem is when those fans become disrespectful, but that's not a trait that's exclusive to them.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:54 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Did it really represent the source "better?" It definitely took itself more seriously, but it altered many things as well. At least TFS just puts a comedic spin on it. Still, they drive the story along and you know what the story is by watching DBZA. I think that it's just a case of a slippery slope -- we've allowed Funimation to tinker with the series but then shun others when they tinker a bit more? Where's that clear-cut line that says, "No, you shall not cross this! You can only tinker x amount?" It doesn't exist. So I think that had that original Ocean run happened the way it was happening where a bunch of the series would be cut up and pieces of the story would be altered here and there, who's to say that a fan of that is any less of a DB fan? And if we're going to accept them, then what's so bad about accepting someone who is introduced to it through TFS?

It's not like TFS is outrageous and has Piccolo as Gohan's sister and Bulma married to Roshi or something -- it's basically a more over-the-top comedic retelling of DBZ. So, I don't have a problem with it. Where it becomes a problem is when those fans become disrespectful, but that's not a trait that's exclusive to them.
It did represent the source much better, despite the change.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Did it really represent the source "better?" It definitely took itself more seriously, but it altered many things as well. At least TFS just puts a comedic spin on it. Still, they drive the story along and you know what the story is by watching DBZA. I think that it's just a case of a slippery slope -- we've allowed Funimation to tinker with the series but then shun others when they tinker a bit more? Where's that clear-cut line that says, "No, you shall not cross this! You can only tinker x amount?" It doesn't exist. So I think that had that original Ocean run happened the way it was happening where a bunch of the series would be cut up and pieces of the story would be altered here and there, who's to say that a fan of that is any less of a DB fan? And if we're going to accept them, then what's so bad about accepting someone who is introduced to it through TFS?

It did represent the source much better, despite the change.
yes I agree, TFS Dub is much better than Old Dub in terms of keeping the spirit of OG show. Like Freeza voice, Goku's voice and even in the scene where vegeta is begging goku to beat Freeza and he says that even if it wasn't for Freeza, he would still be evil.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 pm

What I mean is that even though the "ally to good" speech was all wrong for goku's character it would have been alright for some super hero. It still carried a serious tone to it, compared to the TFS one which was just unfunny and dumb IMO. Yeah Dragon Ball has comedy but I don't feel like comedy should be in serious scenes.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 pm

I liked the old TFS episodes, but most of the recent episodes have been pretty "meh". They lack something that I haven't seen in TFS Cell saga so far. Memorable quotes and interesting twist to the story. I also don't like how they portay some of the characters like Mr. Popo in this saga. He's not at all as funny as he was before. I'm just waiting for them to start the Buu saga already, hopefully that will be better.

Idk if this is unpopular or not, but I like Vados more than Champa.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:53 pm

I feel like recently they're moving away from the over-the-top comedy and basically just retelling the story at this point. I mean in the first episode, Piccolo was on Myspace and stuff. The series is completely void of those things now, like the stuff that they have to add in. Now it's basically just chopped up footage with a redub.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 pm

TheDipDap1234 wrote:
I liked the old TFS episodes, but most of the recent episodes have been pretty "meh". They lack something that I haven't seen in TFS Cell saga so far. Memorable quotes and interesting twist to the story. I also don't like how they portay some of the characters like Mr. Popo in this saga. He's not at all as funny as he was before. I'm just waiting for them to start the Buu saga already, hopefully that will be better.

Idk if this is unpopular or not, but I like Vados more than Champa.
Don't they still have Mr Popo as some scary monster, i only watched saiyan up to ginyu and the only thing I liked was what they did with Nappa.

Vados is great, would love to see her and whis interact more, also that sexy Nico Robin voice.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I feel like recently they're moving away from the over-the-top comedy and basically just retelling the story at this point. I mean in the first episode, Piccolo was on Myspace and stuff. The series is completely void of those things now, like the stuff that they have to add in. Now it's basically just chopped up footage with a redub.
And this, imho, is why I stopped liking Abridged. They're taking themselves too seriously. Season 1-2 was a parody, now it's a retelling thinly disguised as a (no as funny) parody.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:31 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I feel like recently they're moving away from the over-the-top comedy and basically just retelling the story at this point. I mean in the first episode, Piccolo was on Myspace and stuff. The series is completely void of those things now, like the stuff that they have to add in. Now it's basically just chopped up footage with a redub.
Well, sure you can see many differences between Season 1 to the current one, but mostly because in the first one they didn't know much about the identity of their own parody (It will be pure 4th wall breaking comedy like YGOTAS or something more self centered but still for laughs?). I don't think much have changed, Season 3 may feel like a retelling, but they still do real-world references like the past seasons.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 am

I am not a huge fan of TFS poor voice acting just turned me off (it is weird cuz their castings in legitimate dubs is pretty good, granted I haven't seen TFS episode in a hot while so dunno if they improved there nor not.) but I don't mind them but I do absolutely hate their fans it is like no one is allowed to fun anymore without the "reminds me of DBZA/looks like TFS wrote this" comments flooding, so irritating. Or people randomly quoting things in none TFS videos.
Toei did something with Popo a character that they own and all of a sudden people think that Toei did a TFS reference... :problem:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am

ABED wrote:Agreed, and what I also find irritating is if you don't agree with TFS fans, many will claim you just don't understand.
Well, humor is subjective. Not "getting" that specific humor is basically not "understanding" that specific humor. And there's no shame or anything wrong with that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:12 am

I understand the jokes and the references, I simply don't find them funny. That and the delivery wasn't good, so there are two knocks against it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 am

ABED wrote:I understand the jokes and the references, I simply don't find them funny. That and the delivery wasn't good, so there are two knocks against it.
OK, but there is understanding, intellectually, what they were trying to do, and there is "understanding" or "getting" the humor (aka finding it funny). When we don't find something funny and another person does, we are literally not understanding the humor, regardless of, intellectually, understanding what they were going for.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 am

I think this is purely a semantics issue. Yes, intellectually, I understand the jokes, but I don't find them funny.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 am

My most unpopular opinion is that I prefer GT to anything post-Imperfect Cell

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm

ABED wrote:
Agreed, and what I also find irritating is if you don't agree with TFS fans, many will claim you just don't understand.
I think KaiserNeko can be a little arrogant as well.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.