What was your first Dragon Ball DVD?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

What was your first Dragon Ball DVD?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:32 pm

I just randomly thought of this today. What are you guys' first Dragon Ball DVDs? Here's the first one I ever had:
I got this sometime in the early 2000s. I'm not sure when. Someone bought it for me, presumably from Blockbuster, since that's the case it came in. (Though I've since swapped it for a better one.) However, the first I ever bought myself was the first Dragon Box Z, when I was getting back into the franchise around 2009-2010.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Re: What was your first Dragon Ball DVD?

Post by Codarik » Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 pm

My first was Dragon Ball GT season 1.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

This ugly son of a gun. I then got the Pioneer Movies and "Trunks - Mysterious Youth" before deciding DBZ wasn't worth the investment to collect at the time... many, many years later, the Dragon Boxes pulled me back in.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm

The year: 2000. Christmas. I received a DVD player and "Trunks: Mysterious Youth" and "The History of Trunks" DVDs. It was a very Trunks Christmas. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 pm

If I can remember correctly, I could have been either Movie 7, Path to Power or the First 2 GT singles. All of which were Funi of course.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Dragon Ball GT: Reaction, back in early 2006.
-Joey

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm

My first Dragon Ball DVD was DBZ Kai part 1 last year (Kai is the reason I came back into the DB fandom)
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 pm

My first and second Dragon Ball (Z) DVDs were these:

As for tapes, I got three VHS' 2 of GT dubbed in PT and Film 13 of Z in Spanish.

I wonder if I still have Film 12 in Spanish somewhere, I do remember throwing away the cover and case when I was younger, so silly. :roll:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Pioneer's/Geneon's Dragon Ball Z Movie Trilogy (unfortunately, I had to return the damn thing a couple days later once I found out the Movie 1 disc was defective.)

I think my next DBZ DVD was DBZ Movie 4, followed a month or so later by Movie 5 (seeing a trend here?)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:58 pm

My first DVD would probably be Dead Zone (Pioneer). I bought these all kinda late because I had the VHS' at one point lol

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue May 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Back when I was all like, "Broly's powers is Maximum!", I saw the Movie 7 DVD at a ToysRUs and thought Super Android 13 was Broly. I knew he wasn't but it was wishful thinking. Anyway, I had never seen a DBZ DVD until that day so I begged my mom to buy it for me. I noticed there was a splash on the cover that said, "Includes Edited English Version Only". I was still unaware that DBZ was a Japanese cartoon, so I thought nothing of it.

My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Drabaz wrote:Back when I was all like, "Broly's powers is Maximum!", I saw the Movie 7 DVD at a ToysRUs and thought Super Android 13 was Broly. I knew he wasn't but it was wishful thinking. Anyway, I had never seen a DBZ DVD until that day so I begged my mom to buy it for me. I noticed there was a splash on the cover that said, "Includes Edited English Version Only". I was still unaware that DBZ was a Japanese cartoon, so I thought nothing of it.

Whoa. This was my first one too! And my story is kinda similar, just switch Toys R Us with KB toys and Mom with Dad.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Drabaz wrote: I was still unaware that DBZ was a Japanese cartoon, so I thought nothing of it.
I remember thinking the same thing. Then I saw the almighty words "Japanimation" lol

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Frieza: Death of a Prince
This was my first Anime DVD. I was barely jumping on the DVD bandwagon. So glad I always follow suit with newer technologies!

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

first VHS was Majin Buu: Atonement
first DVD was the first Broli movie

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue May 15, 2012 10:32 pm

DBZ Season 1
Last edited by Gonstead on Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 am

DVD? ahhh man I'd say it was one of the ultimate uncut DVD's
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gounks

Post by Gounks » Wed May 16, 2012 1:08 am

First video tape: Great Saiyaman "Declaration."
First DVD: Bought three dubbed DVDs of the movies all in one go.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:14 am

As far as tapes go...

It would be the last 3 episodes of the Ocean dragonball dub

medvedenko2009

Post by medvedenko2009 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:30 am

My first VHS was the one after Vegeta blows himself up against Buu.
My first DVD was Broly the legendary super saiyan and i hated it and the rock music. I wanted the music (Faulconer) from the show.