Will English "Sparking!" Have Japanese language op

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lorderezar

Will English "Sparking!" Have Japanese language op

Post by lorderezar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:06 pm

Does anyone know whether the English version of "Sparking!" will feature the Japanese audio, and if not, here's hoping that it does.

"I'm neither Gokou nor Vegeta. I am the instrument of your destruction."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Will English "Sparking!" Have Japanese languag

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 pm

lorderezar wrote:Does anyone know whether the English version of "Sparking!" will feature the Japanese audio, and if not, here's hoping that it does.
Highly unlikely. Look at Atari's domestic releases of all the other PS2 games for a precedent.

That said, I'm absolutely purchasing the Japanese version of this one ^_~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:30 pm

I think I am with you there, Mike. Depending on the finalized version content, it could be the "must have" on the scale of releases. And if so, I hope the extra $20.00 is worth the investment.

lorderezar

Post by lorderezar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, VegettoEX. Disappointing that they probably won't include the Japanese, but I expected as much. Wishful thinking on my part is all. I have a question though, what is required for an American PS2 to play the import of "Sparking!" as I too will definitely be ordering the Japanese version. None of the American voice actors sit too well with me.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:40 pm

lorderezar wrote:Thanks for the reply, VegettoEX. Disappointing that they probably won't include the Japanese, but I expected as much. Wishful thinking on my part is all. I have a question though, what is required for an American PS2 to play the import of "Sparking!" as I too will definitely be ordering the Japanese version. None of the American voice actors sit too well with me.
I never got into the whole PS2-modding scene. Far too complicated for someone like me who came off of the "plug-a-thing-into-the-PS1-parallel-port-and-go" school of thought :P. I simply purchased myself a JP PS2.

I'm the same way with the games. For me, it actually kinda goes two ways. There's character voices from the dub that I just can't tolerate in any kind of serious way for it to even be fun to play as them (Freeza), and there's characters that I just never heard dubbed and as such are completely foreign and therefore not fun to play as (Coola, Broli, Yi Xing Long). My JP DBZ3 should (hopefully) be shipping any day, and JP Sparking! is pre-ordered :D :D :D.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lorderezar

Post by lorderezar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:43 pm

I hear that, man. Freeza is disgraceful in English, I can't tolerate one of the coolest villians I know of being reduced to a grandma who sounds like she smokes 50 packs a day. And I don't care what anyone says (I have a friend who can't stand Gokou's Japanese voice), she's the only one for me. I can't currently speak Japanese, but I'm learning as well as I can.
"I am neither Gokou nor Vegeta. I am the one who will defeat you!"

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I never got into the whole PS2-modding scene. Far too complicated for someone like me who came off of the "plug-a-thing-into-the-PS1-parallel-port-and-go" school of thought Razz. I simply purchased myself a JP PS2.
Me either. That's why I am going to go the way of the swap disc, since I can't afford a JP PS2. I think I'll save up for a second PS2 though, if I can find one, just so I don't have to worry about my current PS2 being damaged.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:58 am

I'm hoping it'll hit the Cube, since I just got a freeloader for Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3. I'm not comfortable modding my PS2 or forcing the drive open while the system's on.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:38 am

That would definitely be helpful.

yamiiguy

Post by yamiiguy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:13 am

Does the swap magic disk really work? If so i am so ordering this from Japan.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:45 pm

I'm sort of hoping that since its being made by a different company than the Budokai series that there might be somewhat of a chance for a japanese language option.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:37 pm

yamiiguy wrote:Does the swap magic disk really work? If so i am so ordering this from Japan.
I have a Swap Magic disk (along with the Slide Card) and it works like a charm.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm sort of hoping that since its being made by a different company than the Budokai series that there might be somewhat of a chance for a japanese language option.
It's being developed in Japan by a different company, yes... but it's still good ol' Atari/Infogrames distributing it in the US (and abroad), however.

denitonis
Beyond Newbie

Post by denitonis » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Yet in Europe we had Japanese on the Budokai and Budokai 3 C.E. versions of the games.
The latter even had both versions which I really like.
This is the way they should do it since you can choose.
So I am hopefull about it.

But offcourse we can only be certain about it when it arrives,
though I don't believe Europe even has a release date/period set yet,
so we may not even get it this year :cry:

EDIT:
the game is a PS2 exclusive isn't it?
So there is probably no hope of it arriving on the GC,
though if it would I am certainly in for an import version of the game since I too play Japanese GC games. 8)
7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

Dan_the_Rebirth

Post by Dan_the_Rebirth » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:20 am

HELLO every body!^^

as mutch i can renember, only the DBZ Budokai series is exklusiv for the PS2, but also just for 1 year, that means 1 year after a Budokai game comes out at the ps2, it also arrives on the Cube, and normaly with some addon like new costumes or something( i still thank good that the used the jap- voices on the GC version, i also dont realy like the funi voices....)

But Sparking isnt a Budokai Series Game, isnt it?
so the changes are high that it will be come to the cube to, i realy hope so!!!
Aktuali i think Atari isnt that stupid that it makes another exklusiv PS2 DBZ series, coz the Budokai games also did run very good on the Cube, and the earned a lot of money with the cube versions too, so the wuld be very stupid if the dont bring it out at both nearly at the same time, u know 1 year is a long time to wait......

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:37 am

Dan_the_Reibirth wrote:HELLO every body!^^

as mutch i can renember, only the DBZ Budokai series is exklusiv for the PS2, but also just for 1 year, that means 1 year after a Budokai game comes out at the ps2, it also arrives on the Cube, and normaly with some addon like new costumes or something( i still thank good that the used the jap- voices on the GC version, i also dont realy like the funi voices....)

Aktuali i think Atari isnt that stupid that it makes another exklusiv PS2 DBZ series, coz the Budokai games also did run very good on the Cube, and the earned a lot of money with the cube versions too, so the wuld be very stupid if the dont bring it out at both nearly at the same time, u know 1 year is a long time to wait......
You've been warned about your grammar and spelling already, but I think it's a good idea to do it again. If you don't start typing better soon you'll be getting banned.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:42 am

Dan_the_Reibirth wrote:HELLO every body!^^

This guy said "jap", excuse me but isn't that an insult to the Japanese? EX. IMO this guy needs a ban warning.
14 years later

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:44 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:This guy said "jap", excuse me but isn't that an insult to the Japanese? EX. IMO this guy needs a ban warning.
Probably not a warning just for that (the other issues might warrant it), though an explanation would help. Far too many younger anime fans fall into the trap of laziness and use "Jap" as an abbreviation, without realizing that it's an ethnic slur. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:29 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:This guy said "jap", excuse me but isn't that an insult to the Japanese? EX. IMO this guy needs a ban warning.
Probably not a warning just for that (the other issues might warrant it), though an explanation would help. Far too many younger anime fans fall into the trap of laziness and use "Jap" as an abbreviation, without realizing that it's an ethnic slur. :?
Not to take this thread off-topic (even more) but that's what I see as the problem. Not the people using it, the people insisting that it's an ethnic slur. Granted, it's useage in the passed lead to that connotation, but word meanings change over time if people let them. The new crop of people using it don't know of the ethnic slur rap that "Jap" attained in the past and thus it doesn't have that connotation in it's current use. It'll only stay a slur if people keep insisting it is one, even when not used as one.

Sorry for going on and on about this but it's just something I hate. Words aren't bad or good, they don't even have any meaning at all, they're just words. It's the person that determines what it stands for. Therefor it's not the person writing the word that's using an ethnic slur, it's the person reading it and taking it as a slur.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:00 pm

I have to agree. I have read "Jap" a few times (I might have even done it myself) and I have never read anything into it other than an abbreviation of Japanese. It is people looking for something that is not there. I do understand that it could very well be offensive but I also think that people should be given benefit of the doubt and it should be read only as an abbreviation for Japanese.

On a side note (and to keep this on-topic) I am hoping the English version has both audio tracks. Like the European Collectors edition of B3 :D .
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."