In-Game Transformations' Non-Voice-Changes

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

In-Game Transformations' Non-Voice-Changes

Post by Blastero » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:53 am

Has anyone noticed that the in-battle character voices never change based on transformations/etc. in the Budokai games? Like when Freeza goes into his 2nd form, his voice stays high pitched. Same with Goku. His voice doesn't get all deep when going SSJ4. I don't even want to get into how many vocal inconsistencies Cell has.

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:13 am

Yeah, I agree with you, Blastero. I've heard it takes lots of memory to make different voices for different transformations. Don't quote me on that, though. I'm not completly sure.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:18 am

While most of them really don't change, it was quite a suprise to see Super Buu did change his voice after a absorption. I.e. he would talk a lot more arrogant having absorbed Freeza. At least in JP/EU B2, dunno about the US version.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:22 am

It is, if I'm remembering this right, a matter more of design than memory. Though, yes, loading up 4 sets of voice data for 1 character would extend the loading time of levels a lot. The matters is actually more of design issue. The Budokai games, while developed by Atari, were still made in Japan. As such, they were designed for Japanese release.

I believe the script was done in Japanese first even. So, everything was designed for the Japanese version of the series. And in Japan, Cell and Freeza (and I'd bet Goku to) only has the 1 voice no mater what form he/they are in. So that's how the game is made. One audio file is marked as 'Cell-KamehameaVO' (as an example) and that's the file that's used everytime Cell fires a Kamehameha. Hence why you get the same voices all the time, they can't change the code for a few characters just so that it works for the multi-voiced English version.

EDIT:
While most of them really don't change, it was quite a suprise to see Super Buu did change his voice after a absorption. I.e. he would talk a lot more arrogant having absorbed Freeza. At least in JP/EU B2, dunno about the US version.
Same in the US, but that's because it was in the JPN release. If it's not in the JPN it wont be in the US.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:54 pm

Personally I don't really mind it and partly expect it to happen. SSj4 has a very gruff look and I feel the voice matches it. Frankly with the way SSj4 works, I'm not sure if regular Goku's voice would really suit it. But then again that's just my opinion.

And personally I think Super Buu's voice changing after each of the absorptions, especally the what if ones was a nice touch.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am

I forgot all about this. I remember noticing this myself, particularly when I use Cell. It always bugged me to hear Perfect Cell's voice at the start of the match, when he's clearly in his first form.
I wouldn't be bothered by having the same voice throughout, if only that was what I was used to. :?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Sometimes it wasn't a big deal (I was never that attached to Freeza's multiple voices), but for a character like Cell, just playing him was painful for constantly having the wrong voice. You have to gove Funimation credit for making unique transformation dialogue for each character. (i.e. Super Perfect Cell: Even MORE perfect!!

justpassinby
Banned

Post by justpassinby » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:42 pm

the japanese version doesn't have a problem like that. Cell's voice never changes from form to form.....it's much...neater