Most Chilling Parts in Dragonball/Z/GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

skatezeppelin
Beyond Newbie

Most Chilling Parts in Dragonball/Z/GT

Post by skatezeppelin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 pm

What are some of the most chilling parts in the series in your opinion? For example I am watching the episode when Kuririn is killed? The first time I saw it I knew something was going to happen and I feel it was set up great. I almost felt like I wasn't watching a cartoon in the sense that it reminds me more of a film.
I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Most Chilling Parts in Dragonball/Z/GT

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm going to have to go with Goku's nightmare on Namek.

skatezeppelin
Beyond Newbie

Post by skatezeppelin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:04 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I'm going to have to go with Goku's nightmare on Namek.
Care to elaborate? I can't remember that for some reason. I'm assuming it's when he's in the rejuvenation tank.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:17 am

skatezeppelin wrote:
Care to elaborate? I can't remember that for some reason. I'm assuming it's when he's in the rejuvenation tank.
It's when Frieza's holding him underwater. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX6vq3DtUJw

skatezeppelin
Beyond Newbie

Post by skatezeppelin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
skatezeppelin wrote:
It's when Freeza's holding him underwater. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX6vq3DtUJw
The kind of reminds me of the episode in Dragonball when Goku drinks the Ultra Divine Water but is first accosted by the Darkness monster. When the Darkness takes shape of Goku's friends and they all start laughing just like in the clip above. I couldn't find a clip, if anyone can provide one it would be appreciated.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 am

Probably when Freeza is revealed to have survived the Genki Dama, and killed Krillin and Piccolo (he dosn't die - but at the time we assume he is dead).
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:20 am

The lead up to Cell being revealed was really chilling.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:26 am

I'm going to go with Videl being knocked around by Spopovitch. It's this oddly real damage and pain we almost never seen in Dragon Ball. I think the only reason we accept a 4 year old being beat up every other episode is because he doesn't really act or react like a 4 year old. Meanwhile Videl was acting like a real person up against someone who was relentlessly kicking her shit around. I haven't seen that portion in the manga in years so I don't remember if it was as brutal as the anime but yeesh.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 am

Right now, the first thing that comes to mind is Cell absorbing humans. It wasn't even stealing ki/energy like with androids, he was literally absorbing their flesh and everything.
Last edited by Michsi on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:50 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:I haven't seen that portion in the manga in years so I don't remember if it was as brutal as the anime but yeesh.
It was probably longer in the anime, but one scene is certainly more brutal and memorable in the manga. When Videl took a knee to the face, she was only bleeding in the anime, while in the manga, she lost some of her teeth.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 am

The part in GT when they are summon Shenlong and the evil one takes his place. I found that part so creepy. Gave me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCO5OGcd1s

The music really contributes to this "hopeless, there world is over" atmosphere.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:05 pm

• Krillin getting impaled... and well, Krillin exploding, but I knew that beforehand so I guess it didn't have the shock it should had have.
  • Goku's nightmares with 17 and 18 killing Trunks, Chichi and Gohan. Especially the part where Chichi got her neck snapped. I went WTF.
  • Cell absorbing people.
  • Cell absorbing 17 and 18. Like WOAH! and then EEEWWW!! D:
  • Majin Buu's rape face and then eating people.
  • Stupid guys sniping the old couple.
  • Buu getting inside the fat guy and exploding him.
I would have nightmares where I tried to exterminate something akin to the pink blobs of Buu and they kept regenerating. It was maddening.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

PorungasWrath

Post by PorungasWrath » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:51 pm

to be honest, any part of the cell saga. when this theme played http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPio2dPX10 i would always feel a shiver. yamcha being impaled, c20 killing everyone on the island, absorbing piccolos energy and vegetas blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73N7dwM3QmQ

0:37, its just makes my hairs stand on end haha. the android and cell saga was best imo

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Piccolo Daimao getting his youth restored, then blowing Shenlong the fuck up.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:35 pm

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 pm

How has no one mentioned Bebi's initial reveal, "death" and revival in his incubator thing...?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 pm

LiamKav wrote:Piccolo Daimao getting his youth restored, then blowing Shenlong the fuck up.
I know I already mentioned that in another thread. It REALLY does gets you.

Another moment I know was chilling was figuring out Kuririn was murdered. The anime version of the scene can be written into a mystery novel. It's that great.

Also, anytime Freeza shows up unexpectedly in the Namek Arc is just horifying.

Finally, all of the times we see in Son Goku and Vegeta's fight in the Saiyan Arc when Vegeta survives thing after thing is just nuts. Vegeta survives a Kaioken x4 Kamehameha, a Genki-Dama, and an Oozaru Gohan crushing him. Vegeta is INSANE.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Goku's first transformation into a Super Saiyan is pretty damn chilling. I mean, first Piccolo is downed with a beam, then Kuririn is blown up, then that music starts up, lightning hits all around, the water changes color, pieces of the island they're on fly up into the air, and Goku loses it. It's pretty scary shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBaM9vp0J_w

You know once you see it that nothing will be quite the same after that.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:09 pm

One of the most chilling parts to me, was Gohan vs Recoome.

Recoome laughing off all of Gohan's attacks. Gohan wishing that Goku would arrive. Krillin looking on helpless. All leading up to that final moment. The way the scene just stops as Recoome lands the final blow on Gohan, that sinister laugh of his, and Krillin unable to help.

Most chilling of all, is when we see a bloodied Gohan just laying there twitching, as Jheese's scouter counts down to zero. Kept thinking to myself, "Damn, that poor kid, Where the hell is Goku?"

Even more chilling, was how Gohan looked later when Goku picked him up, prior to giving him the senzu.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 pm

I had a nightmare about him once....when I was like 8.

I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92