My idea for a Dragonball liveaction film

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dr. Machismo
Banned

My idea for a Dragonball liveaction film

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:33 am

I think most of us would agree that Dragonball just doesn't work in liveaction, but I actually think it could if done right. I think that if we ever get another liveaction film, it should be a martial arts film that is largely based on the Strongest Under the Heavens arcs. It'd be titled Strongest Under the Heavens.

The plot would have Son Goku (played by an Asian martial artist) training with his grandfather since young age until his grandfather dies of a disease (not sure what. The specific disease doesn't have a big role in the plot). In a final conversation with his grandfather, Goku promises to get stronger. Goku still continues with his training but is defeated by a mysterious martial artist (playing a role similar to Jackie Chun in the manga. There would be a more original name than Jackie Chun, though) that challenges Goku to meet him in the "Strongest Under the Heavens" tournament. Searching for a way to become stronger than the martial artist that defeated him, Goku would eventually meet Master Roshi and train under him.

After successfully completing his training with Master Roshi, Goku would enter the tournament and excel all the way to the final match. Despite putting up an excellent fight against the martial artist that defeated him earlier, Goku narrowly loses the match. The two would then put their differences aside and have respect for each other as martial artists, promising to fight again.

There'd be quite a few characters playing similar roles as ones from early arcs in Dragonball competing in the tournament, like Yamcha, Nam (or King Chappa), Mai (she wouldn't be working for Pilaf), Pamput and later ones like Jewel, Killa and Wild Tiger. Chi-Chi would be a childhood friend Goku whom he meets again in the tournament. Yajirobe would also appear as a childhood friend of Goku's whom he keeps some contact with through the years. I don't think Bulma would have a place in the film and I think it'd be too early to have characters like Tao Pai Pai and Tien. A Krillin like character could appear, but as a caucasian that helps Goku meet Master Roshi.

The film would be very realistic for a Dragonball release, removing any of fantasy elements. No seven Dragonballs, no Eternal Dragon, no aliens, no anthromorphic animals and no Ki blasts. Goku would be a human and might have a Dragonball as a souvenir from his grandfather. That would be the only Dragonball to appear in the film.

What are your thoughts? I could actually see this performing adequately in the box office and even getting good reviews if done right. It could be the next big action martial arts film. And it reminds me of Rocky, one of my favorite films of all time.:P
The world's greatest.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: My idea for a Dragonball liveaction film

Post by Bussani » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:50 am

I kind of don't see the point of adapting Dragon Ball if it's no longer going to be Dragon Ball. I mean, I'm fine with things being changed for the big screen--I honestly didn't care if Dragon Ball Evolution followed the manga, so long as it was a good movie (which it wasn't)--but you might as well make a completely unrelated martial arts flick if you're going to go this far.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:02 am

A martial artist enters and a tournament for some reason and sees how well he can do but loses. That is how the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai went but that works in a weekly comic book/show but not in a movie. There needs to be more meat to the story. Dragon Ball can work in live action. There are many movies that use chi and such which probably inspired Toriyama to make this comic.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:25 am

A realistic Dragon Ball would never work. I think the movie could work as a stand alone martial arts film then a Dragon Ball film.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:38 am

You're honestly putting too much work into it. Simplest way to make a good Dragon Ball movie is to set it before the series starts.

We start out with a young Goku taking a walk with his adoptive Grandfather, played by Jackie Chan, as he recalls his adventures from his younger days. He recalls the time he was a cop, lost his memory, and many more. Eventually, we just watch the final act of Drunken Master 2. By the time that's over, it's almost nightfall, Gohan says they should hurry home because there is a full moon tonight. Cue credits.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 am

I'd like a Ginyu Special Corps. film with Nic Cage as Ginyu.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:07 am

I would open up the film with Grandpa Gohan finding Goku in the space ship as a baby then do the rest of the origin story in the intro credits then have the movie deal with Nappa and Vegeta coming torwards to Earth. The Saiya-jin saga is the saga that most people remember and would easy to market if they market it as a big budget alien invasion summer blockbuster similar to Independence Day or Transformers.
She/Her

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 am

I like how people say DragonBall wont work live action, yet a lot of comic book franchises received very good feedback and indeed turned out very well when they got adapted to the big screen. Just because DB Evolution failed does not mean we'll see the same outcome when they decide to reboot said movie. I also find it funny that 20th Century FOX will not give up DragonBall. I've seen plenty more "out of the world" stories get adapted and became a success.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Dragonball still had quite a lot to do with martial arts, so I don't see how this is almost unrelated. I'm only removing the fantasy elements. It's not like removing Ki effects the story that much as a Dragonball film based on the tournaments and Dragonballs weren't really that relevant in the Strongest Under the Heaven arcs (in fact, the only time the Dragonballs had a core role in the story was the Pilaf and Namek arcs). This film would still adequately adapt the story of the 21st Strongest Under the Heaven arc (which, like all of the tournament arcs except the 24th and maybe the 23rd ones, was pretty realistic)
A martial artist enters and a tournament for some reason and sees how well he can do but loses. That is how the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai went but that works in a weekly comic book/show but not in a movie.

I'm pretty sure there have been movies about fighting tournaments.

And hey, not to be selfish, but I created this thread to receive feedback. Not for you guys to post your ideas.
We start out with a young Goku taking a walk with his adoptive Grandfather, played by Jackie Chan, as he recalls his adventures from his younger days. He recalls the time he was a cop, lost his memory, and many more. Eventually, we just watch the final act of Drunken Master 2. By the time that's over, it's almost nightfall, Gohan says they should hurry home because there is a full moon tonight. Cue credits.
And I don't see this is Dragonball at all.
Last edited by Dr. Machismo on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The world's greatest.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Avenged wrote:I like how people say DragonBall wont work live action, yet a lot of comic book franchises received very good feedback and indeed turned out very well when they got adapted to the big screen. Just because DB Evolution failed does not mean we'll see the same outcome when they decide to reboot said movie. I also find it funny that 20th Century FOX will not give up DragonBall. I've seen plenty more "out of the world" stories get adapted and became a success.
I agree. DBE sucked because it had a bad story and it seems like the director didn't care what he was doing. James Wong was not the best choice for a Dragon Ball given that the only action film that he did was The One back in 2001. Changing the character's designs for the character didn't bother me that much expect for Piccolo since I think his look could have been much better.
She/Her

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would open up the film with Grandpa Gohan finding Goku in the space ship as a baby then do the rest of the origin story in the intro credits then have the movie deal with Nappa and Vegeta coming torwards to Earth. The Saiya-jin saga is the saga that most people remember and would easy to market if they market it as a big budget alien invasion summer blockbuster similar to Independence Day or Transformers.
The Saiyan saga is only remembered by fans, and only them seeing the movie wouldn't guarantee success at all. It'd be better to adapt the Strongest Under the Heaven arcs as it could be marketed to both fans and non-fans of Dragonball.
The world's greatest.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Dragon Ball has a lot to do with martial arts, yes. But it isn't a straight martial arts story. It is a mixture of folk tales, Hong Kong action cinema, wuxia, etc. It is a fantasy story. If you remove these fantasy elements like the use of chi and the dragon balls themselves to make a martial arts movie that is similar to Rocky there isn't any need to associate it with Dragon Ball. A live action movie doesn't need to follow exactly what happened in the comic/show but it needs to at least capture what Dragon Ball is and the heart of the characters.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Makaioshin wrote:Dragon Ball has a lot to do with martial arts, yes. But it isn't a straight martial arts story. It is a mixture of folk tales, Hong Kong action cinema, wuxia, etc. It is a fantasy story. If you remove these fantasy elements like the use of chi and the dragon balls themselves to make a martial arts movie that is similar to Rocky there isn't any need to associate it with Dragon Ball. A live action movie doesn't need to follow exactly what happened in the comic/show but it needs to at least capture what Dragon Ball is and the heart of the characters.
This just feels like the best way to do a Dragonball film to me. I don't see how adapting the arcs with strong fantasy elements would make a good movie. Having Goku as kid and his friends search for the Dragonballs would be stupid. Having Goku as an adult search for the Dragonballs would be stupid. Having aliens conveniently attack Earth would be stupid. I could only see hardcore fans watching the movie.

And I think Goku (although he'd be more serious and not that playful as an adult), Gohan, Roshi, Chi-Chi, Yajirobe and the Jackie Chun-like character would be quite like their manga counterparts.
The world's greatest.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:24 pm

I would like them to do a live action version of "History of Trunks."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 pm

I think a DB movie can have a Transformers-type success if it done right. With DBE, it was clear that the film was doom from the start since it seems like the people behind the movie didn't care enough about the series to make a good movie out of it. Not to mention Fox had the rights to a Dragon Ball movie since 2002 and it took them five years to get the project off the ground in 2007. Maybe if someone like Warner Bros or Paramount has the rights to Dragon Ball then they could find someone that can put better care in it. While 20th Century Fox has shown improvement with their recent reboots and sequels like X-Men: First Class, Rise of Planet of the Apes, Prometheus and Predators but I doubt Fox will want to do another Dragon Ball film since DBE was a failure. I think 20th Century Fox will look at Dragon Ball never marketable since the movie didn't make as much as they would hope.
She/Her

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Dr. Machismo wrote:Dragonball still had quite a lot to do with martial arts, so I don't see how this is almost unrelated. I'm only removing the fantasy elements.
That's kind of like adapting Lord of the Rings and removing the fantasy elements, if you ask me. Or adapting Star Wars and taking out all the sci-fi. You can still get a story out of it (heck, Star Wars is just a bunch of other stuff with sci-fi added!), but it's not even worth keeping a connection between the two at that point. You've created something new that's very loosely inspired by the original.

To be honest, I don't think Dragon Ball was ever about martial arts in the realistic sense you're talking about. Like Makaioshin says, it's a wuxia, Journey to the West style martial arts story, which isn't supposed to be realistic at all. If you're just going to make a story about a realistic martial arts tournament, then that's fine, but it's not Dragon Ball.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Dr. Machismo wrote: I'm pretty sure there have been movies about fighting tournaments.
Didn't notice this last time. Yes, there have been and it is a staple of the martial arts film genre but there has to be more to it for it to be done well.
Dr. Machismo wrote: This just feels like the best way to do a Dragonball film to me. I don't see how adapting the arcs with strong fantasy elements would make a good movie. Having Goku as kid and his friends search for the Dragonballs would be stupid. Having Goku as an adult search for the Dragonballs would be stupid. Having aliens conveniently attack Earth would be stupid. I could only see hardcore fans watching the movie.
And I think Goku (although he'd be more serious and not that playful as an adult), Gohan, Roshi, Chi-Chi, Yajirobe and the Jackie Chun-like character would be quite like their manga counterparts.
Including fantasy has nothing to do with making it a better movie. As I said in my previous post, it is just what Dragon Ball is. A search for the balls or an alien invasion doesn't make a better movie either. There needs to be some type of substance which there is in the comic and can be in a movie. Dragon Ball has a pretty wide appeal and I don't think the general public is turned off by superhuman abilities, alien invasions, magic, and such.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:54 pm

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:10 pm

shonenhikada wrote:History of trunks ?
AKA The Terminator.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)