"Why are you watching a kids cartoon show?"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Not all animated series/films are for children, like hentai, but do you tend to respond to unpleasant comments like this or ignore?

Some old people say this sort of stuff. Maybe they should give it a try (not Dragon Ball specifically) and see if they'd enjoy and get a laugh (or more) off of it.

Btw, blaming violence on video games is just nonsense.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

caejones
I Live Here

Re: "Why are you watching a kids cartoon show?"

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Because it's awesome, and I doubt I will ever stop calling myself a kid.

And video games causing violence is pretty much the opposite of what studies say, so nya.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm

"Why not?"

I wish I could give a more thoughtful reply than this, but it's so simple that there isn't much to say. What's wrong with watching a kid's cartoon show? Why is "it's for children" used as a criticism? ...I'm just going to quote C.S. Lewis again.
C.S. Lewis wrote:Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Sebastian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sebastian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 pm

I tend to just give the person who asks a cold stare and then walk away.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Nostalgia that I hold deeply enough to take scrutiny for.

Let's see where this goes; reassurance threads can get silly quick.
Sebastian wrote:I tend to just give the person who asks a cold stare and then walk away.
:lol:
Last edited by BlazingFiddlesticks on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Bussani wrote:
C.S. Lewis wrote:Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

That's actually a very insightful quote, I sort of always felt that way but never knew how to formulate it into words.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm just very open about the fact that I enjoy a few children's series.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 pm

A lot of Cartoons cater to adults in some way or another.. even if its just an inside joke only adults will get. They put them in because they know parents are usually watching them with their children, and they want them to have something to laugh about too.

I remember when I was little, watching The Simpsons (the good seasons), and my parents were always laughing at stuff I never understood until I was older...

Anime is totally different to Cartoons imo, if someone asks me why I am watching Cartoons, I usually say, it's Anime, it's not a cartoon.. they don't understand though, they lob everything into one group... Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob, Dragon Ball Z, they are all the same to some people.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

My philosophy is if I like a show, whether or not I fit the target demographic, I'll watch it. I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of if you are an adult and still enjoy animation, if anything it's a breath of fresh air from the glut of reality programming.

We don't have a say in whether or not we grow up, but that doesn't mean we have to grow "old" and certainly don't need to be defined by a number.
LordCrumb wrote:Anime is totally different to Cartoons imo, if someone asks me why I am watching Cartoons, I usually say, it's Anime, it's not a cartoon.. they don't understand though, they lob everything into one group... Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob, Dragon Ball Z, they are all the same to some people.
But they are all cartoons. "Cartoon" shouldn't be considered a dirty word or "disrespectful" to Dragon Ball or other anime, anime is simple a genre of cartoons and only exists as a sort of brand name outside of Japan, where The Simpsons, Spongebob and Powerpuff Girls are classified as "anime."

It's all semantics, really.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 pm

There's nothing in the series that isn't really for kids. The fighting, the blood, the very mild nudity was acceptable in Japan and honestly, nothing that kids shouldn't really see. Plus it's marketed to kids here, so it's perceived as a kid's show. I like to watch Doug and Flintstones and whatnot, they're kids shows but it's okay. You watched DB/Z as a kid, which is when you started liking it, so it's a kids show. So what? My explanation is that I am nostalgic and I like everything that I liked as a kid. Don't try to make it look like it's not a kids show just because you don't want to be embarrassed or whatever because you'll never convince anyone that is just a casual fan or not a fan at all that it's not a kids show.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:My philosophy is if I like a show, whether or not I fit the target demographic, I'll watch it. I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of if you are an adult and still enjoy animation, if anything it's a breath of fresh air from the glut of reality programming.

We don't have a say in whether or not we grow up, but that doesn't mean we have to grow "old" and certainly don't need to be defined by a number.
LordCrumb wrote:Anime is totally different to Cartoons imo, if someone asks me why I am watching Cartoons, I usually say, it's Anime, it's not a cartoon.. they don't understand though, they lob everything into one group... Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob, Dragon Ball Z, they are all the same to some people.
But they are all cartoons. "Cartoon" shouldn't be considered a dirty word or "disrespectful" to Dragon Ball or other anime, anime is simple a genre of cartoons and only exists as a sort of brand name outside of Japan, where The Simpsons, Spongebob and Powerpuff Girls are classified as "anime."

That's why i said 'imo'. For me, Cartoons and Anime are two different things :)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Since Bussani already posted what I would've posted (as this type of thread has popped up before) I'm just gonna coment on some other posts.
OutlawTorn wrote:But they are all cartoons. "Cartoon" shouldn't be considered a dirty word or "disrespectful" to Dragon Ball or other anime, anime is simple a genre of cartoons and only exists as a sort of brand name outside of Japan, where The Simpsons, Spongebob and Powerpuff Girls are classified as "anime."

Wait...are you saying it is a genre or not? Cause it really isn't.

Maybe if more people started using term like how it's used in Japan (a shortening of the word animation) then I'd use it more and wouldn't be so annoyed when it is used.
TheGreatness25 wrote:I like to watch Doug and Flintstones and whatnot, they're kids shows but it's okay. You watched DB/Z as a kid, which is when you started liking it, so it's a kids show.
The Flinstones is a kids' show now? If shows I watched as a kid start becoming kids' show then Rod Serling would start rolling in his grave.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm

I've had lots of people tell me this, and to be honest I don't really care if it's a kids show or not.
I admit I'm not into a-lot of Anime like some people, but I do watch a-lot of the old stuff that I grew up with like Mobile fighter G gundam and Rurouni Kenshin. Honestly I love watching animation. I always have and always will. especially the old Disney stuff, the animation that they use is damn near perfection. but whatever, I don't care if people talk about me watching animated stuff. while their talking about me there letting someone else rest. :P Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to be watching some Biker Mice from Mars!
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 am

They play Japanese kids shows on adult swim here, at midnight, and they receive ratings as high as MA. I think the lines of what is for kids and what is not is very blurry when in comes to anime, the mangas are written by adults who just want to write what they want to write, and unlike in america they are pretty free to depict that as graphically or suggestively as they like. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a shonen but its themes and moral questions are much more complex and mature than anything I've seen in live action "adult" american tv. Its really subjective really, Mark Twain considers his Advenures of Tom Sawyer books intended for adults, but many remember them as popular children's books. I watched Dragon Ball Kai with my mom, she believes its an adult cartoon, I don't think she's wrong.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a shonen but its themes and moral questions are much more complex and mature than anything I've seen in live action "adult" american tv.
Psst! There's more on American TV than shitty sitcoms that air during prime-time on FOX!
­

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 am

Taku128 wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a shonen but its themes and moral questions are much more complex and mature than anything I've seen in live action "adult" american tv.
Psst! There's more on American TV than shitty sitcoms that air during prime-time on FOX!
Like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead? Since those are 2 I watch and they appear to be the popular shows for adults right now.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 am

AgitoZ wrote:
OutlawTorn wrote:But they are all cartoons. "Cartoon" shouldn't be considered a dirty word or "disrespectful" to Dragon Ball or other anime, anime is simple a genre of cartoons and only exists as a sort of brand name outside of Japan, where The Simpsons, Spongebob and Powerpuff Girls are classified as "anime."

Wait...are you saying it is a genre or not? Cause it really isn't.
As I said, outside of Japan "anime" is treated as a genre of animation with some of the more extremist considering it an insult to use the word "cartoon" to describe anime. Whereas in North America, for example, you would find "Disney" animation and "Marvel" animation along with computer animation. Just like anime, it's all animation but there are people who have this need to put a label on these different forms or styles of animation.

The most notable difference within most anime I am aware of with most western animation is the serialization of anime. Take The Simpsons, for example, if you were to watch from the first episode of the first season until the most recent episode in sequential order, you will not experience a story like you would with most anime. There's some character development, of course, but it has mostly maintained the status quo, with Maggie still being a baby after 23 years, etc.
Maybe if more people started using term like how it's used in Japan (a shortening of the word animation) then I'd use it more and wouldn't be so annoyed when it is used.
Whether you agree or disagree with my stance is fine, but I've seen enough people go apeshit because someone dared to call animated Dragon Ball "a cartoon" and the manga "a comic" when that's exactly what they are. "Anime" and "manga" have thus become genre titles outside of Japan (emphasis because people seem to selectively read what I post) along the likes of "Sci-Fi" and "Fantasy" and "Romance" and "Horror."

It would be so much simpler if the entire world had a standard for stuff like this, but that would be too easy.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:24 am

OutlawTorn wrote:The most notable difference within most anime I am aware of with most western animation is the serialization of anime. Take The Simpsons, for example, if you were to watch from the first episode of the first season until the most recent episode in sequential order, you will not experience a story like you would with most anime.
Except when that anime is Sazae-san. Or Shin-chan. Or Doraemon. Or Gintama.

Yes, I know you said "most". There are plenty of exceptions on both sides.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 am

If someone asks me that question, I just reply, "Because I like it. Duh." Why should I care about whether or not I fit its target demographic?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:08 am

I don't care for whom the show is aimed it because I like it. That's all that matters.

Now excuse me I'll be watching Barney n' Friends.Oh and Dragon Ball isn't for kids. It's for everyone.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.