Which Eng Dub offers the best interpretation of each arc?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Which Eng Dub offers the best interpretation of each arc?

Post by Aoi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:13 am

I actually put some thought into this and went out and bought what I'd consider to be the essential best English version of the Dragon Ball (Z portion) story. I'm wondering, has anyone else considered doing this too? I'm interested in reading what others think of this; especially considering how we never got 1 consistent high quality dub of Dragon Ball Z.

Here are the options as far as I know
1- Funimation "Z" dub (2nd half of Namek arc - Buu arc)
2- Ocean dub (minus 2nd half of Namek arc)
3- Remastered dub (Saiyan Arc + 1/2 of Namek arc)
4- the Kai Dub (minus Buu arc)

My version + reasoning
Saiyan Arc
- Remastered "Z" Dub
Reasoning: This is the only time where I'll say that, despite a few annoying dialogue changes, the remastered dub is as wonderful as the Kai dub of this saga. What's more, I actually think that the filler helps the narrative. The episodes vs. Nappa and Vegeta are also perfectly paced in "Z". In short, there is no reason to have Kai's "cut" of this saga.

Namek Arc
- Kai Dub (Kikuchi)
Reasoning: This arc might have some of the worse filler, so Kai's cut is a god-send. Also, unlike in the Saiyan arc, there are no standout musical moments, so the new placement for Kikuchi is about as memorable as the original "Z"'s placement. Lastly, Frieza's voice in Kai is worth the price of the Blu Rays alone. Z's original dub (after "Ginyu Assault") is actually unwatchable for me.

Android Saga
- Kai Dub (Kikuchi)
Reasoning: In Japanese, I'd watch the "Z" version because I like the filler and the pacing is solid in the original cut. However, the original dub of "Z" is too hard to watch for me now. The Kai dub really lifts the series to another level for me. I loved every voice change. Some excellent acting in Kai has created some new and very memorable moments for me.

Majin Buu Saga
- Original Funimation Dub (Kikuchi)
Reasoning: We still get remnants of FUNImation's unnecessary dialogue. Nonetheless, this is still eons better than anything FUNI pulled out with their original dub. By this point, everyone was already very comfortable in their roles and at times pull out fantastic performances. Unless the Buu arc gets the "Kai treatment", this dub is a satisfying interpretation of the final chapter in Dragon Ball.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Which Eng Dub offers the best interpretation of each arc

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 am

I agree with basically all of your choices, couldn't have said it better my self.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:25 am

Insertclevername wrote:I agree with basically all of your choices, couldn't have said it better my self.
Ah thanks man. To be honest, I was thrilled today heading to my local HMV. I bought DBZ on Blu Ray (1.1 and 1.2) + the missing Parts 1-4 of Kai with the Kikuchi soundtrack. I feel like I finally have a complete English dub of the series now.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:11 am

I disagree the voice acting for the characters are more heart felt in the ocean dub. Vegeta actually sounds menacing and psychotic in saiyan saga, and namek saga, while in the remastered he sounds constipated. Goku voice actor along with the others all seem to fit with the others as well. Also Ocean had some awesome music, that fit well with the setting of the show,and made it very wholesome overall. The only thing they failed in was the script, but its funimation fault on that end not the production crew, or the voice actor. I mean what other dub has gotten such notoriety as the fabled 9000, and been mention indirectly on the Oprah Winfrey show.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:09 am

All of them with the Kai english dub but for the Blu Ray/DVD versions.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:27 am

shonenhikada wrote:I disagree the voice acting for the characters are more heart felt in the ocean dub. Vegeta actually sounds menacing and psychotic in saiyan saga, and namek saga, while in the remastered he sounds constipated. Goku voice actor along with the others all seem to fit with the others as well. Also Ocean had some awesome music, that fit well with the setting of the show,and made it very wholesome overall. The only thing they failed in was the script, but its funimation fault on that end not the production crew, or the voice actor. I mean what other dub has gotten such notoriety as the fabled 9000, and been mention indirectly on the Oprah Winfrey show.
Oh I totally agree with the quality of the Ocean dub. It's by far my favourite dub. However, it's a shame that the rest of the series is so hard to find. I also really disliked the 2nd Goku (changed during the Cell Arc). That, the inferior production quality (during their 2nd run of dubbing), and the Mega Man music pretty much killed the dub for me. However, their first dub of the Saiyan + Namek arcs are my personal favourite dubs. It's not even nostalgia either. I have actually watched full episodes a year ago, and was amazed at how great the dub was. Even the music fit very well.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 pm

001-053: Ocean Dub [Z]
054-291: FUNimation Dub [Z]

Kai's FUNimation dub is better but Kai stripped out content so it doesn't count as a dub to cover it, for me.
Aoi wrote:However, it's a shame that the rest of the series is so hard to find.
It's easy if you know where to where it is.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Is there anywhere online, where you can watch the Ocean dub episodes? I'd like to refresh my memory of their voices..

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:05 pm

LordCrumb wrote:Is there anywhere online, where you can watch the Ocean dub episodes? I'd like to refresh my memory of their voices..
Youtube has some clips floating around if you search.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Yeah i'm not really after clips, more like episodes.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:20 am

Well we can't link you to any episodes. That's just not how we roll.

Your gonna have to either look for them yourself, look at the various clips on Youtube or buy the DVD's which they were released on.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:001-053: Ocean Dub [Z]

Kai's FUNimation dub is better but Kai stripped out content so it doesn't count as a dub to cover it, for me.
... You are aware that the Ocean Dub of 1-53 cut out 15 episodes worth of material so that it covers upto Japanese episode 68, right? At least Kai has scripts that are mostly direct translations of the Japanese dialogue.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:

... You are aware that the Ocean Dub of 1-53 cut out 15 episodes worth of material so that it covers upto Japanese episode 68, right? At least Kai has scripts that are mostly direct translations of the Japanese dialogue.
It's a dub, if I were to want a precise version I'd watch Japanese with subtitles. Even the Kai dub isn't that great of a dub, it's still better than FUNimation's old dub, though.

On the Kai dub they still managed to mispronounce Kaio-ken as "Keyoken".

For excellent dubs it's the Latin Spanish and Portuguese Brazilian of DBZ (not Kai).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:16 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

It's a dub, if I were to want a precise version I'd watch Japanese with subtitles. Even the Kai dub isn't that great of a dub, it's still better than FUNimation's old dub, though.

For excellent dubs it's the Latin Spanish and Portuguese Brazilian of DBZ (not Kai).
The Mexican dub is just a masterpiece. It really is. The English dubs are fine and I can enjoy the show either way to be honest. I just can't stand the original FUNI dub before the Buu arc.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Saiyan Saga: Remastered FUNimation Dub

Namek/Frieza Saga: Kai Dub (Kenji Yamamoto)

Android/Cell Saga: Kai Dub (Shunsuke Kikuchi)

Majin Buu Saga: Remastered FUNimation Dub
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

That's one instance of mispronunciation for Kaiouken. They at least gave us some attack names from the original (and yes, I know that Keinzan wasn't always pronounced correctly) to cater to sub crowd. What's more important is that the story is more accurate (instead of going through changes in Z).

So I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that it "isn't that great of a dub" -- I find it better than the Japanese version of Kai, and occasionally better than Japanese Z. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like/sometimes can't stand watching the dubs of Dragon Ball, because before Kai most of the writing ignored subtext and was sometimes childish.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Saiyan- Remastered Funi
Namek- Kai
Android- Kai
Buu- Funi

On a side note: I actually prefer the Ocean dub of the first three films. "Now split and emit!" "That was hot and spicy!"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

What kai dub are you watching? I have english funi part 4 and he says Kaio-ken. Even on clips of uncut he still says Kaio-ken. Also your clip still sounds like Kaio-ken, but I can hear how it might sound the opposite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrW2QFhBD-s

I have Kai>Funi Z= Ocean 1-53
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

[SP]
Not-So-Newbie

Post by [SP] » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 am

dbzfan7 wrote: What kai dub are you watching? I have english funi part 4 and he says Kaio-ken. Even on clips of uncut he still says Kaio-ken. Also the clip still sounds like Kaio-ken but I can hear how it can sound the opposite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrW2QFhBD-s

I have Kai>Funi Z= Ocean 1-53
He is talking about when Goku is fighting Nappa in Kai. In his post he has linked a clip on YouTube where Sean Schemmel said Keyoken instead of Kaioken.

Here is the video.
(Even though dbboxkaifan has already linked it already.)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 am

I find the Saban dubs for the Saiyan and Namek arcs to be pretty overrated. The voice acting is pretty cheesy possibly even beyond the early in-house Funi dubs. And things like "next dimension" doesn't help it's case either. Though Funimation did a great job of toning the cheese factor down while still keeping the line deliveries faithful to the original dub when they re-dubbed those arcs for their uncut releases.