Ever Regret NOT Buying Something?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Ever Regret NOT Buying Something?

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm just a teenager, so when Dragon Box 2 came out I wanted to pay $30 for it. I tried to do the match price thing at Best Buy, but I went a day or so late and the price changed at the other store back to $40 or $50. Now when I look at Amazon and see it going for over $1000 new, it depresses me! I keep telling myself I'll save up for the Japanese releases. Anyway, have you guys ever regretted not buying DB merchandise for whatever reason?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Ever Regret NOT Buying Something?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:57 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:I'm just a teenager, so when Dragon Box 2 came out I wanted to pay $30 for it. I tried to do the match price thing at Best Buy, but I went a day or so late and the price changed at the other store back to $40 or $50. Now when I look at Amazon and see it going for over $1000 new, it depresses me! I keep telling myself I'll save up for the Japanese releases. Anyway, have you guys ever regretted not buying DB merchandise for whatever reason?
Dragon Box 1,2 and 4. This would complete my series (in Japanese) but there all expensive. Go figure lol

I used to regret not buying the awesome VHS box sets but they used to be like $100.00 but not anymore since there like $15.00 on ebay :D

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Not buying certain doujinshi - later, they become very rare and/or expensive.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Regret selling:
Retro consoles for the PS3 Slim that I now rarely ever use.

Regret not buying:
Battle Stadium D.O.N instead of DBZ Kai Part 8 Blu-ray. It's Super Smash Bros with DB and One Piece characters (and Naruto too).

I would've probably had more fun playing Battle Stadium D.O.N than watching Kai Part 8 once and feeling disappointed with the purchase, for that, I'll be selling it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Heh, when I saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was Dragon Box 2. :P No matter how tight money gets, I'll never get rid of it! Mainly because I could never hope to rebuy it for a double-digit price.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:13 pm

I saw Dragon Box 2 for $60 bucks on Ebay once and said "eh, I'll find a cheaper one later". I'm still kicking myself because of that to this very day.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I saw Dragon Box 2 for $60 bucks on Ebay once and said "eh, I'll find a cheaper one later". I'm still kicking myself because of that to this very day.
This very same thing happened to me with "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" Blu-ray. I knew Bandai was ceasing production of their entire DVD/BD/Manga Lineup, but kept saying, I'll buy it later. Cue a few weeks ago when Amazon finally ran out and the third party sellers had a field day! Now, one of the cheaper options is 200! I did manage to find it a week ago, IN JAPAN! The Original US Bandai release, I bought it through Rinkya which ended up costing about 80 USD, cheaper than here in the US, but because I waited too long, I paid 30 bucks more plus shipping expenses!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:I saw Dragon Box 2 for $60 bucks on Ebay once and said "eh, I'll find a cheaper one later". I'm still kicking myself because of that to this very day.
This very same thing happened to me with "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" Blu-ray. I knew Bandai was ceasing production of their entire DVD/BD/Manga Lineup, but kept saying, I'll buy it later. Cue a few weeks ago when Amazon finally ran out and the third party sellers had a field day! Now, one of the cheaper options is 200! I did manage to find it a week ago, IN JAPAN! The Original US Bandai release, I bought it through Rinkya which ended up costing about 80 USD, cheaper than here in the US, but because I waited too long, I paid 30 bucks more plus shipping expenses!
Nice to see that you got a happy ending! I think the lesson we should all learn is not to procrastinate!
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
That really tells you something when you can buy it in Japan cheaper...in some respects, the same can be said about the Dragon Boxes as well.....

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:41 pm

I remember the Amazon sale in 2011, and being like Ok. I bought the season sets for the parts of DBZ that I absolutely adored (1-3). And then after a while curiosity led me to get 4 cheap. I don't have a lot of money so I'm gonna just settle with those despite their glaring flaws. I bought them to have DBZ subtitled and that's what they gave me, and I can live with them. So I bought Dragon Boxes 4-6 for $23 each and was like hell yeah.

Then I watched them and was like woah this is like my fansubs but awesome quality!

So around December I was like Ok, gotta get the rest, WHAT?

So I was like Ok I guess I missed out I'll get 3 and 7 and call it a day, greatly regretting not buying 1 and 2 cheaply when I had the chance.

Bizarrely I was sent Dragon Box 2 instead of Dragon Box 3 by GoHastings (for $23, oddly enough), but I still regret not just getting them all right then, especially as I ended up paying $50 for Box 1 and $30 for Box 3.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:53 pm

kidglov3s wrote:I remember the Amazon sale in 2011, and being like Ok. I bought the season sets for the parts of DBZ that I absolutely adored (1-3). And then after a while curiosity led me to get 4 cheap. I don't have a lot of money so I'm gonna just settle with those despite their glaring flaws. I bought them to have DBZ subtitled and that's what they gave me, and I can live with them. So I bought Dragon Boxes 4-6 for $23 each and was like hell yeah.

Then I watched them and was like woah this is like my fansubs but awesome quality!

So around December I was like Ok, gotta get the rest, WHAT?

So I was like Ok I guess I missed out I'll get 3 and 7 and call it a day, greatly regretting not buying 1 and 2 cheaply when I had the chance.

Bizarrely I was sent Dragon Box 2 instead of Dragon Box 3 by GoHastings (for $23, oddly enough), but I still regret not just getting them all right then, especially as I ended up paying $50 for Box 1 and $30 for Box 3.
Thats lucky with Dragonbox 2! But yea, my story is almost exactly like yours! Especially the "fansubs but awesome quality". Thats why I like the cell saga on the dragon box, because I used to see clips from the fandub all the time and the uncut episodes on the Spanish channel lol

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:59 pm

The DragonBoxes :cry:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:07 pm

I was quibbling over to buy the Dragonboxes or not. I am so, so glad I did.
I can only hope, for those that didn't get them, that they're re-released or something. Cause these prices are ridiculous.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 pm

i obtained all 7 Dragonboxes about a month or two ago in a span of 2 weeks.
i didnt pay any ridiculous prices or anything other then Dragonbox 1 which i got for $90

Dragonbox 2 - $64
Dragonbox 3 - $50
Dragonbox 4 - $44
Dragonbox 5,6,7 - $30

so basically i paid retail for all of my dragonboxes....it was expensive all together but a lot better then paying $200-$1000 for one volume.
I'm not sure about other place but i got my DB 1 and 2 from hmv, i called the head office and they were able to find 1 and 2 in at different locations. So they transfered the item to my local store and i picked it up. Same goes for Vol.3 however one was very close to me so i just went myself to pick it up. What i'm saying is...maybe contact your local video stores to see if they might have something in stock. Worked for me.... i'm pretty sure you can find vol.3 easily at hmv, vol 4 on the canadian amazon and 5-7 on the us amazon. As for vol. 1-2, I'm pretty sure they still have a few somewhere. Just check the hmv website, contact the head office and then ask them if they can look for it.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank God! I'm not the only who regretted not getting Dragon-box 2 :lol: I could have gotten it at Walmart.com for like 30 bucks. But I was just like ''Nah...I'll get the first one instead'' then the very next day, it's out of print and well you know the rest of the story :lol: that hurt my feelings bad :P and another regret to report is, I was going to buy Dragon-box 5 off from Walmart and kept putting it off because I haven't had much money. Guess what?....It's out of stock :lol: I'm such a jackass :P

Edit - If anyone is looking for Dragon-box 3, Go right here at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/14311871 Price is 31.96. I'd jump on it now if you want it.

Just another quick update. Yesterday I was checking Walmart and they had Box 6 and 7. Now they're gone so yeah...
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Dragon Box 1. Bought the second one first (back around the time 5 came out) when there were rumors of it's discontinuation on Amazon for $30 instead of the first one. After that, I wasn't able to scrounge up the money for 1, and it was discontinued.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:55 pm

funrush wrote:Dragon Box 1. Bought the second one first (back around the time 5 came out) when there were rumors of it's discontinuation on Amazon for $30 instead of the first one. After that, I wasn't able to scrounge up the money for 1, and it was discontinued.
I was lucky to get 1,3,6, & 7 :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:18 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:That really tells you something when you can buy it in Japan cheaper...in some respects, the same can be said about the Dragon Boxes as well.....
Right! Luckily, in my case I found an American product in Japan! :lol:
Insertclevername wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:
Insertclevername wrote: Nice to see that you got a happy ending! I think the lesson we should all learn is not to procrastinate!
Yup, yup! I originally skipped on the American DBoxes, until I heard that volume 2 was going OOP. Soon after, I made it a task to pick up each box after Vol.1, each two weeks.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Where do I begin I didn't buy any Dragon Boxes cause i was hoping for madman to release them in Australia. Every time I look at my anime collection i kick my self luckily i was able to get boxes 3-7 for $250 of amazon. Sounds like a lot of people missed 2 if only we knew. :lol:
On a more positive note i bought kai part 1-4 but unfourtunatly I had to pay $60 for 1,2&3 cause i live in Australia. Part 4 I imported for the Yamamoto score for $40 and now when I see it going or $90 that is the only good decision Dragon Ball purchase I have ever made. :)
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes. I tend to have this happen to me all the time, though it's usually not Dragon Ball-related. It tends to crop up the most in my toy collecting. I had the issue just last night. XD

The last time I specifically remember this happening with something Dragon Ball-related was me skimping on buying Dragon Box 7. I passed up on it because it was released at about the same time when I started to take my toy collecting hobby more seriously. I still haven't picked it up due to my interests deviating a little from Dragon Ball, but thankfully, the last box is dirt cheap compared to most of the other ones and still readily available over on Amazon.

In a similar vein to the toy stuff, though, there's a lot of Japanese merchandise I sort of regret buying, mostly from the time that Kai was still airing in Japan. In particular, I remember a few t-shirts and figurines that I would have loved to get, but I don't think I've ever bought anything imported before and I only buy things online when there's no other option or it's substantially cheaper to do it over the internet. I'm a minor, so buying online means having to go through parents who are always like, "Are you really sure you want this? I don't think you need it." It's always a hassle to go through.