What year did you guys became a DB fan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

What year did you guys became a DB fan?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

I know this topic has been done to death already, but I was unable to find a recent topic in the past few pages. I remember I started to become a fan around early 2001 when the Cell saga was coming to a end. I got into Dragon Ball a bit late then most people did around my age since I remember that I would hate DBZ back in the late 90's.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Re: What year did you guys became a DB fan?

Post by Avenged » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Sometime in 1995, even designed my first DBZ fan site in 1996.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Sebastian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sebastian » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Sad to say, but I didn't get into Dragon Ball until Kai started airing.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Toonami.

So, 1999 or so.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Fall of 1998, when it first started airing on Toonami.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Sebastian wrote:Sad to say, but I didn't get into Dragon Ball until Kai started airing.
Nothing to be ashamed about, we were all 'the new fan' at one point in time.

Let's see...I got into it around the time I was in 6th grade, when Toonami was doing some re-runs of the Frieza Saga, at a two-episodes-per-day pace, so that they could get through it and be ready for some new episodes to come out shortly after. I can't remember if those new episodes were Garlic Jr., or if that was in the reruns too - I just remember not really seeing much Garlic Jr. stuff (due to disinterest at the time) and getting pulled back in by an ad for Trunks episodes premiering.

So that would have been about...2001-ish? That doesn't seem right though, because they were in the Buu material by that point I think, because I remember them skipping one of the Saiyaman episodes as a result...hmm...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:13 pm

I remember I started watching DB somewhere in 1995, because my younger brother was born a year later. I became a fan the very first time I watched it. It was the Murasaki Ninja Vs Goku fight.... the one episode with the impaling pole. Yep. My little sister (6yo) and I (11yo) thought it was freaking hilarious. I knew from that moment that this "Japanese cartoon" was going to be a favorite of mine... but when the hype hit me really hard and became THE ONE ANIME TO RULE THEM ALL was when Goku arrived with Karin. The story from there on simply left me in awe. The Piccoro Daimaku saga blew my mind away and then... HOLY SHT, YOUNG ADULT GOKU. *ear piercing 12 year old fangirl squeal*

DBZ only made my obsession worse. From the day it was announced to be aired in Mexico, I breathed, sighed and dreamed DBZ until the premiere. All the time... ALL DAY. FOR WEEKS. I kid you not my mind would go like this: *sigh* -DBZ- *sigh* -Goku- *sigh* -Goku's son! YAY!- *sigh* -New enemies? COOL- *sigh* -Tehehee, Goku is so hot- *sigh* -Damn Chichi, that girl is so lucky!- *sigh*

And the rest is history.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Possibly 2001 or 2002.

Ah, the good ol' days of Toonami. When life was uncomplicated. :D
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DanTheBib » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I'm not sure on a year or anything, but whenever it first aired in the UK. That may have been on Toonami, but I have a feeling I'd seen bits of it before - that, or my brain is playing tricks on me.

I vividly remember watching Goku fight Vegeta in the Saiyan saga, and they were powering up with the screaming and what-not. My mom came downstairs because it was early in the morning and I had the TV on quite loud, and got really annoyed at me, telling me to "turn that rubbish off". I remember being teary-eyed and shouting back "you'd be shouting too if everyone you loved was in danger!" and storming off upstairs.

My parents still sigh whenever I mention Dragon Ball now, thinking I'm too old for it.
"Well, I guess there is retarded people out there that has serious complains." - Margarita.

capsule X nike
Not-So-Newbie

Post by capsule X nike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Early 1996 , a shop in my area was getting in fan sub bootlegs of the movies. My first dragonball purchase ever was the Bojack movie. It was instant love that continues to this day.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 pm

1998 when it aired on Toonami.

I caught the show in 1997-1998 when it was on syndication, but wasn't really into it until I watched it on toonami.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 pm

During 1993 or 1994 (watched it on TV).

But now I'm no longer that interested in Dragon Ball fanaticism any more, sure I may listen to DB songs, or play, though, not as much as "hardcore".

In fact, I wish I would've sold my FUNimation Dragon Box Z collection but I'm still stuck with it. :-/

Oh well, the good thing is that the price is increasing more and more, as it is a rarity and collector's item.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 pm

I first caught a glimpse of it in syndication on FOX in like 1996 or 1997. I didn't become a fan until Toonami in 1998.

I miss you, Moltar.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Probably about 2001 or 2002. Memory is blurry, but I remember becoming a really big fan after the original Budokai on the Playstation 2. I was only 5-6 when I first discovered it. I might have seen it even before as I remember saying at one point in the Cell Saga, "why do they all have blonde hair?". So I know I was familiar with it prior.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm

In 2003 thanks to Budokai 1 & 2. I got into the anime finding movie 9 & the buu saga box set at the dvd store, and the Manga through the public library.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:01 pm

1997 I think? I saw some episodes before then but I didn't really become a fan until later.

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:01 pm

My 7th grade year! Good ole 1996!
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Back when the Ocean dub was airing, so... 1998ish? (I was wondering why Kuririn and Vegeta's voices changed so suddenly...)
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 pm

The first time I saw any DB related was in 1997 when my dad got me a VHS copy of the first Dragon Ball anime and it was the first vol. I didn't like it since it was wired for me at the time and I didn't know what DBZ was until 1998. I always thought that there was more DB series before Z like Dragon Ball Q and Dragon Ball H at the time :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Anyone know when Freeza Saga was first airing in Australia? I started watching it around then, but not avidly until a little later on. I think the first episode I saw was Vegeta stealing Freeza's Dragon Balls.

I'm guessing 2000?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D