GT appreciation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Re: GT appreciation

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Well, that's like your opinion.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I might be in the minority but I HATE Bebi.

Sure, his backstory is cool and all but his personality and voice makes me want to destroy things. :x
Hahaha, it's true if you are watching the Japanese version, he's kinda annoying :))
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 pm

I dunno, that was one of the things I really liked about Baby (at first anyway) in the Japanese version, was his voice. At first, Yusuke Numata was using this really creepy, insanely calm tone that really set him apart from most of the other DB villains. But by the time he infiltrated Vegeta, that kinda went out the window and he started playing the character a little differently.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:08 pm

I will say though, I do like Bebi's design. Come to think of it, I like all three villain designs!
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Baby has the best design out of all three main villians. For minor one, I really like Si Xing Long, but then he's not really a villian, is he?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:23 pm

I did like the return of Planet Vegeta. It's wired that two planets originally destroyed by Freeza end up getting wish back later on in the series. It's a shame that we never saw it again in GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I might be in the minority but I HATE Bebi.

Sure, his backstory is cool and all but his personality and voice makes me want to destroy things. :x
I actually like his voice I thought it went well with his hate filled, prideful borderline insane personality (which I also like) and the fact he's a parasite.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 pm

He was a flat, one-dimensional character. Si Xing Long was also born from the same negative energy but that didn't stop him from having some substance. Heck, even the other dragons at least had some personality quirks.
Well, you can be a one-dimensional character without being a FLAT one, you know? I mean, Frieza, Cell, and the later forms of Buu were all pretty much pure evil, but you spent enough time with them that you got to see every single aspect of their personality, ESPECIALLY Cell. He was bitter and would throw what amounted to temper tantrums when he was out-classed, he was almost LUSTFUL in how much he wanted #17 and #18, he was sarcastic, a bit of a blood knight (meaning he REALLY like fighting), and would even play jokes on the other characters (such as Vegeta).

Frieza, we got to spend a lot of time with him, and see him steadily transition from a cool, calculating, level-headed tyrant, to a raving madman who was so delusional and prideful, that he refused to acknowledge Goku as superior even AFTER he got cut in half, and also still believed he was strong enough to kill Goku even after being saved only because he was surviving off of GOKU'S OWN ENERGY!

Buu I probably don't even have to explain.

Syn Shenron on the other hand, was basically some dude just chilling out in an abandoned city with Nova and Eice, doing...something, I don't know (but whatever it was, I'm sure it was evil). He just kind of showed up and was all "okay, I'm the endboss, now fight me", and then, that was just kinda that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am

Fionordequester wrote: Syn Shenron on the other hand, was basically some dude just chilling out in an abandoned city with Nova and Eice, doing...something, I don't know (but whatever it was, I'm sure it was evil). He just kind of showed up and was all "okay, I'm the endboss, now fight me", and then, that was just kinda that.
No, this is really what happened. He literally comes out of nowhere, explains he's the last dragon, and gives Goku the business. No build-up, nada. It was one of the poorest moments of GT.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 pm

While Dragon Ball GT does have it flaws in some points, I can say I really enjoy the series. If anything, I considered GT my favorite in the Dragon Ball Franchise. Of course, I'm more interested what is open in the road for the likes of Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr. That would be very interesting to see a series based around them.

And GT has the best music out of the series too, and of course I'm only talking about the Japanese Music. :P
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:56 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I actually really like GT. It has some good story lines in there, and some funny characters. The only thing I really don't like about it though is that at times I feel as if it gets a little too dark for a Dragon Ball anime, though it may just be me. I do got to say though, get pretty sick of all the criticism it gets. So to all the people that criticize it: you don't have to watch it, or even like it for that matter, but at least acknowledge it as an installment of Dragon Ball, and not a laughing stock.
It can still be criticized whether you like it or not. DBGT has good qualities yes but there are a lot of very obvious flaws. However since this is an appreciation thread I'm not gonna go over said flaws.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming in any way that it doesn't have flaws. I just get sick of all the people saying it's not canon and complaining.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Well a lot of its flaws are continuity errors. It can't be canon with a lot of continuity errors. It may be canon to the anime but the anime isn't the accepted canon of the series because it too has continuity errors.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Something doesn't have to be free of continuity errors to be canonical with something else. There is also no single declared canon for the series - what is "canon" to you won't necessarily be "canon" for someone else, and neither of you are wrong.

But we just keep going in circles on that one...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Toriyama's stuff is official canon since he made the series. There is an official canon and as a fan you are allowed to add to the official canon however one would assume a coninuity error filled series would be non canon.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Tons of series - ones WITHOUT further adaptations of themselves - have continuity errors in them, but that doesn't somehow mean they're not "canon" to themselves. It's not like the one single version of a series can negate itself out and then leave you with... err... nothing!

It just means... well... they have continuity errors. You can either attempt to create fan theories about how those errors resolve themselves, or leave them as is, but they're still there.

I'm not convinced some of you folks actually know what "canon" means :).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:20 pm

DBZ has little to no continuity errors that aren't explainable. DBGT has quite a few errors that (are) pretty hard to explain, if possible (at all). Give me some DBZ errors. I can explain them.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm

There is already an on-going thread for that, with the best example being that Trunks initially arrives specifically naming #19 and #20, but the two that end up wrecking havoc are #17 and #18.

But let's attempt to bring this ship back around to the intended topic. Thanks, all! :)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There is already an on-going thread for that, with the best example being that Trunks initially arrives specifically naming #19 and #20, but the two that end up wrecking havoc are #17 and #18.

But let's attempt to bring this ship back around to the intended topic. Thanks, all! :)
Trunks mentioning 19 and 20 caused history to change making his quote somehow correct.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:37 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I'm not convinced some of you folks actually know what "canon" means :).
Apparently, some of us don't. :|
Canon means the official continuity of the series, or more accurately:The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946