Episode #0319 (23 December 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0319 (23 December 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Episode #0319 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
74:07; 96 kbps, mono; 51.1 MB

Episode #0319! VegettoEX and Meri plow through a week's worth of news that feels as if it could be an entire month's worth of news: "Battle of Gods" is in full swing, and we have new colored manga and guide book announcements hitting all at once! Herms and Kaboom join in to take the "Battle of Gods" hype to its peak with the most in-depth discussion on Gohan's hair you will ever hear. What happened to his "ultimate" power-up, and why is his hair golden again?! Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0319 (23 December 2012)

Post by Scarz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 pm

30 minutes in and Mike has me cracking up. "Oh my God! Strongest ever?! No! NO!" :lol:

Why don't I listen to these more often?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Are they constantly saying Super Syan for fun's sake or am I missing something?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:53 pm

That's how you would pronounce "Saiyan".
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:06 pm

But in the show (English dub, I don't know which) it's [sæjən] as opposed to [saɪ̯ən].

http://youtu.be/bH_CcJ-uBWI?t=9s

What is right now?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Yes, that's how it's said in FUNimation's English dub... which none of the staff watch or are ever referencing in any discussion unless specifically noted :).

"Saiya" comes from a rearranged "yasai" (which means "vegetable" in Japanese), which has syllables that we are perfectly capable of pronouncing, so we say the word properly in the context of the series and our own language. "Saiyan" is a perfectly fine localization of "Saiya-jin" (and was used on Japanese merchandise before an English dub), so again -- proper adaptation, proper pronunciation.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I liked the theory that in GT, since Gohan trained behind the scene, he gained additional dormant power which could now be accessed by transforming into a Super Saiyan.
  • Gohan = 10
    Gohan's dormant power = 100
    Ultimate Gohan = 150 (dormant power released + power beyond that added)
    Ultimate Gohan's dormant power after training = 200
    SSJ Ultimate Gohan = 200
For GT, that would be an explation good enough. However, when thinking about the original manga (thus thinking more seriously), it's worth remembering how Ultimate Gohan was stated by Boo to not have gained any strength after being healed by Dende. To me it seems that it implies Ultimate Gohan's disability to gain any more strength than he already had at the time. One could argue that it's because Saiyan near-death power-ups ain't working no more, but I don't really buy it.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 pm

VegettoEX, the colorized release of Dragon Ball that Shueisha put up online only went for the "Son Goku arc". So, the first 23 chapters.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 pm

hleV wrote:I liked the theory that in GT, since Gohan trained behind the scene, he gained additional dormant power which could now be accessed by transforming into a Super Saiyan.
Yeah, it's an interesting little tidbit they tossed out there. It kinda solves things internally for GT at the very least. Really glad we were able to find it.
linkdude20002001 wrote:VegettoEX, the colorized release of Dragon Ball that Shueisha put up online only went for the "Son Goku arc". So, the first 23 chapters.
Couldn't remember off the top of my head how far it went, which is why I didn't commit to a hard answer on that :). Thanks.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Fun topic. I think the one thing you didn't really talk about was how the plot of the movie would be affected by the different possibilities. That is, if Super Saiyan is an intermediary between Gohan's regular state and Ultimate state, does that mean he'll try fighting Bils as a Super Saiyan first and then, when that fails, try Ultimate? On the other hand, if Super Saiyan gives him a boost on top of Ultimate, won't that make Gohan Bils's absolute strongest opponent? Unless Goku and/or Gotenks have become stronger than even that in the time that's passed!

I think these are interesting things to ask, because it makes me wonder who's going to have what role in the movie. I'm almost sure Goku will be the hero who fixes everything in the end, so one way or another, I don't expect Gohan to be the strongest. Not by a wide margin, at least.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:54 am

Bussani wrote:I think the one thing you didn't really talk about was how the plot of the movie would be affected by the different possibilities.
I'm gonna take a bet that the movie doesn't address it because it would just confuse the general audience (which going by the website the producers are assuming would be the little ones).

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 pm

I will note that in that first instance in GT, Gohan tried to avoid going Super Saiyan until Baby-in-Goten's-body pushed him to it with that ki blast.

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:50 pm

I have 2 ideas about Gohan's hair.First is quite possible, second is POSSIBLE.
1)Toriyama never said that Gohan couldn't go SSj.Also maybe he needs to train again in order to "gain" his SSj form again, or Piccolo said that "he isn't even a SSj" which means that he could go SSj.
2)The people that made the movie didn't watch every dbz episode or look at details and most important ITS TORIYAMA the guy just forgot it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Commander_Red wrote:I'm gonna take a bet that the movie doesn't address it because it would just confuse the general audience (which going by the website the producers are assuming would be the little ones).
That's more or less what I'm expecting, too.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm sure something along these lines have been said, but isn't it possible that the dormant power being drawn out just wort of wore off after a while?

PhazonDragon

Post by PhazonDragon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 am

I've been following the podcast for years and have been a member of the forum for a while, but I've never really had anything to add that wasn't already said by someone else.

The one theory I've always had regarding Gohan and his ability to go ssj is as follows.

We already know Majin Buu's body negates "magic", as seen when Vegito was absorbed and instantly split despite it being "permanent".

So I've always thought, when Gohan was absorbed by Majin buu he lost his "Magical" power up.

Just my thought.
Last edited by PhazonDragon on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:27 am

Sun-Wukong wrote:I'm sure something along these lines have been said, but isn't it possible that the dormant power being drawn out just wort of wore off after a while?
It's possible, but if you were to go by the manga itself, where Gohan's appearance never reverts to its pre-Ultimate state, it seems...less likely? Still, it's possible.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Bussani wrote:
Sun-Wukong wrote:I'm sure something along these lines have been said, but isn't it possible that the dormant power being drawn out just wort of wore off after a while?
It's possible, but if you were to go by the manga itself, where Gohan's appearance never reverts to its pre-Ultimate state, it seems...less likely? Still, it's possible.
I don't like the assumption that just because his eyes were enclosed when his dormant power was unlocked, it does not mean he kept that power for long. Dormant power is like any power. If you don't train it to keep it consistent, it's probably going to wear off. That's my theory on how he can become SSJ in this movie. I mean, it doesn't mean he still is in that state just because his eyes were enclosed at the end of the series. The enclosed-eyes thing could have been a evolution of how Toriyama wanted to draw Gohan. He probably didn't want to go back drawing Gohan how he used to be once the end of the series came along. Heck, it's Toriyama.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Although the idea of Gohan having Super Saiyan on top on his ultimate (as a kind of special reserve) is OK, I wouldn't like the fact that he completely ignored Rou Dai's advice in doing so.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:05 pm

theawesomepossum777 wrote:I don't like the assumption that just because his eyes were enclosed when his dormant power was unlocked, it does not mean he kept that power for long. Dormant power is like any power. If you don't train it to keep it consistent, it's probably going to wear off. That's my theory on how he can become SSJ in this movie. I mean, it doesn't mean he still is in that state just because his eyes were enclosed at the end of the series. The enclosed-eyes thing could have been a evolution of how Toriyama wanted to draw Gohan. He probably didn't want to go back drawing Gohan how he used to be once the end of the series came along. Heck, it's Toriyama.
I readily admit that is a possibility. I just don't think you can blame anyone for thinking it might imply something, especially if they're just focusing on the manga alone.