How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Re: How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion

Post by Smochi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:That would kind of make sense, but...hmm. Would re-using just ONE line really have saved them that much cash in the long run, considering they were re-doing everything else around it really?

I'm not doubting you really Smochi, but do you have any evidence of this at all?

Unfortunately, just what Chris told me, so while I personally believe it 100%, I don't have much physical evidence. :( The problem is that the sound clip could be ANY of Frieza's laughs, not just the one used in the Bardock special. I can ask about it tonight and track down the clip of her laughing that's similar to the laugh in the first kai episode.

But what I do know is that booking people for just ONE line is really expensive. You have to pay travel, book time at the studio, book engineers to be present...one line could cost a fortune, compared to a little copy and paste.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

The laugh in episode 1 of Kai sounds different to the one in the Bardok special to me, it has more emotion to it almost like Freeza is insane with power. The one in TV special sounds like an ordinary evil laugh. So if it was originally for the Bardok special then I wonder why they used the other recording instead

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Everyone turned out alright, but I just can't get used to the new Bulma.. And sometimes 18 and Gohan sound way too similar. Her voice for Kid Goku doesn't do it for me either. Other little annoyances are Mr. Popo and Oolong. Other than that, I liked everyone's new voices and takes.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Apparently the laugh was recorded before they realized that the rest of the dialogue was too fast...why they didn't replace it later once they went with Chris is beyond me.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Smochi wrote:Apparently the laugh was recorded before they realized that the rest of the dialogue was too fast...why they didn't replace it later once they went with Chris is beyond me.
This sounds more likely, yeah. They could have just forgotten about the laugh too maybe, or maybe they hadn't switched to Chris before the TV airing had to be ready to go, so they were kind of stuck there.

Or maybe it was to keep us in the dark about who was going to be Freeza for as long as possible. They were kind of shrewd about it for a while there - which I know they more or less have to do for a little while, but they were almost using it as a promotion teaser.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm

I thought the recasts were great. Colleen is better than Nadolny and peope need to realize that :roll: . The only voice I don't like is Cell's. I don't like how the voice actor deepened his voice, it was unnecessary.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Colleen is better than Nadolny and peope need to realize that :roll: .
Ah, but that is the power of 'opinions', my friend. Everyone's got one. :P
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I thought the recasts were great. Colleen is better than Nadolny and peope need to realize that :roll: . The only voice I don't like is Cell's. I don't like how the voice actor deepened his voice, it was unnecessary.
I actually like the changes Mr Nickelback made to his Cell voice. It especially works well with the better script and better acting as a whole.

Perfect Cell now actually sounds like the egotistical bastard that he is about his perfection and is just wanting to enjoy himself.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 am

I thought there was hardly a change in the voice. It was all in the delivery, from what I noticed.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Smochi wrote:Apparently the laugh was recorded before they realized that the rest of the dialogue was too fast...why they didn't replace it later once they went with Chris is beyond me.
This sounds more likely, yeah. They could have just forgotten about the laugh too maybe, or maybe they hadn't switched to Chris before the TV airing had to be ready to go, so they were kind of stuck there.

Or maybe it was to keep us in the dark about who was going to be Freeza for as long as possible. They were kind of shrewd about it for a while there - which I know they more or less have to do for a little while, but they were almost using it as a promotion teaser.

I asked Chris since I wanted to address this in a panel I'm doing for a con, and he said that they were keeping it in the dark most likely because they themselves weren't sure Linda could keep up with Tatum's dialogue. So really, I don't think that the recasting of Frieza was as dramatic as people say. They weren't sure she could do it, and it turned out the dialogue was too fast for her to still do her Frieza voice.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Most of the voices are met with apathy by me, except for Frieza's which is great, and Bulma's which annoys the shit out of me. I thought Vollmer's voice was perfect for her. Rial's voice would work if Bulma was some bitchy 45 year-old or something, but as it is, it's grating.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Vollmer's Bulma was the one that was grating. And she can't act, to boot. Just this obnoxious, impenetrable squeal with no humanity to it. She only ever brought out the worst of the character and made her seem like a stereotypical obnoxious rich kid with her one-note performance. It was one of the roles in most need of replacing. Rial is an excellent VA and her Bulma reflects that.

Ever wonder why Vollmer wasn't in anything besides DB/Z/GT? Probably because nobody wanted her for anything else.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 am

Oolong: I really like Bradford Jackson as Oolong but I also like the added sleezyness the new voice actor put into the performance either way both voices are good.
Zarbon: I never had a problem with Chris Sabat's Zarbon but Tatum as Zarbon is great too. Both focus on different aspects of Zarbon's character and they both do a good job.
Dodoria: These seem to pretty different performances Chris Forbis has a somewhat stoic voice with a gruff tone with a sinister delivery pretty much a "brute who is evil" feel while John Swasey has a more sinister and cunning delivery both are great but if I had to choose I would choose Forbis since I think a "evil brute" voice is a bit more fitting for a character like Dodoria.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 am

Oolong was weird. Brad Jackson gave him more of a Brooklyn accent, while the new guy gave him more of a Boston-ish accent. It's easy to get used to, but it's just an odd shift I noticed.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 am

I've only watched the first two discs of Kai season 1, so:

Bulma - Don't like the new actress. She's not bad, she just will never be Bulma to me.

Gohan - I like the new Gohan voice, but I HATE the fact that they had her voice kid Goku on the Curse of the Blood Rubies dub. I always thought Nadolny's Goku was great, and stronger than her Gohan.

Oolong - I actually think this new voice is worse. Prefer the old one.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:13 am

Oolong is in maybe four scenes in all of Kai. Even if his VA was bad, it would hardly be worth mentioning.

But I think Massey did pretty good in the DB Movie 1 dub.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 am

As Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel said "everyone has to sound good from Goku and co to some random soldier in Freeza's army if one characters voice sucks then it makes the others look bad and just makes the dub look bad". Not exact quote but still.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 am

Yeah, it's too bad they have never, ever reached that goal.

I agree with the general philosophy (and I think all dubs should be good, regardless of whether they're shows I enjoy or not), but Oolong is hardly going to hurt the dub any more than their terrible Chi-Chi, Tenshinhan, King Kai, Recoome, and various others do.

That Kai has even a pretty good English dub is still a pretty big accomplishment for these people.

Can I get a Schemen?

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 am

mattymoron wrote: Gohan - I like the new Gohan voice, but I HATE the fact that they had her voice kid Goku on the Curse of the Blood Rubies dub. I always thought Nadolny's Goku was great, and stronger than her Gohan.
I like Nadolny as Goku too as far capturing the character. Sadly, she hasn't worked for FUNi in a while.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 pm

I know Oolong is a bit part, but it just strikes me as odd that, if they were going to replace Jackson, why replace him with a similar kind of voice? It's not like going more accurate to the original with Oolong was going to be near as polarizing in some places as replacing Freeza was.
matt0044 wrote:
mattymoron wrote: Gohan - I like the new Gohan voice, but I HATE the fact that they had her voice kid Goku on the Curse of the Blood Rubies dub. I always thought Nadolny's Goku was great, and stronger than her Gohan.
I like Nadolny as Goku too as far capturing the character. Sadly, she hasn't worked for FUNi in a while.
According to her on Facebook, she had been getting in to auditions as recently as a year or two ago, but I don't think anything has ever come of it.
Twitter