How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 10, 2015 8:52 pm

ABED wrote:You're speaking in hyperbole, it wasn't every scene.

Didnt say it was, but unlike his more consistent tones in Kai - he went from unfaltteringly shouty, to whiny, hence making it overblown.
ABED wrote:I don't get that AT ALL. Is this coming from nostalgia? His delivery has more range than his gravel in the throat deliver he used to have, and it's more natural. Not to come off as rude, because I have no idea where you got the idea of "cynical" from Sabat's current delivery.
Theres a difference between being calm-spoken and unecessarily grumpy.Which BoG-Piccolo came off to me when he spoke his bits throughout the movie despite not doing anything.
ABED wrote:It seems like you love the old dub because of nostalgia, and used a thesaurus to come up with a bunch of words to justify it.
Well no, because I actually do know what the word means enough to not have to use random "thesaurus" adjectives.

And no, Nostalgia never had anything to do with what I said. I was comparing his dialogue delivery from the later pre-kai games (where Chris delivery started to change) to his current BoG deilvery. (which came off as exaggerated to me, but less so than Vegeta's overthetopness in that movie.) For example when he was listening to Beerus and Goku chat, he stated that Beerus sounded like he was trying to prep Goku, but not with an inquisitive tone, but a cynical tone - as if he didn't want to accept something like that while having no reason not to. Its that type of bizzare attitude I get from the way Piccolo post-kai speaks in his delivery now. Its not even about how his voice is tuned.
matt0044 wrote:Actually, it's usually it's whether or not they can portray the character well or not as well as if they can actual act. Honestly, dubs have gotten so much better compared to back then. Voice actors aren't voice imitators nor are they required to always be able to alter their voice.
Funimation has never been like that, and it shows if they would cast Kid Uub with the voice he currently has, which sounds nothing like what the character is described to be. There are also other dubs with similar problems as well. Miscasts do happen and Funimation is no exception, even now.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 11, 2015 5:22 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:

Didnt say it was, but unlike his more consistent tones in Kai - he went from unfaltteringly shouty, to whiny, hence making it overblown.
ABED wrote:I don't get that AT ALL. Is this coming from nostalgia? His delivery has more range than his gravel in the throat deliver he used to have, and it's more natural. Not to come off as rude, because I have no idea where you got the idea of "cynical" from Sabat's current delivery.
Theres a difference between being calm-spoken and unecessarily grumpy.Which BoG-Piccolo came off to me when he spoke his bits throughout the movie despite not doing anything.
Yes you did, and I quote
in BoG Chris just goes from literally yelling every read word for no reason
The Bingo scene WAS over the top so the delivery made sense.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:40 pm

ABED wrote: The Bingo scene WAS over the top so the delivery made sense.
How could anybody not get this?

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 am

I thought Sabat was a better Vegeta in Battle of Gods, though that bingo scene wasn't one of his best moments.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 17, 2015 5:49 pm

gohann wrote:I thought Sabat was a better Vegeta in Battle of Gods, though that bingo scene wasn't one of his best moments.
I thought the bingo scene was one of the best moments Sabat did as Vegeta in BOG.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri May 29, 2015 12:14 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:

ABED wrote:It seems like you love the old dub because of nostalgia, and used a thesaurus to come up with a bunch of words to justify it.
Well no, because I actually do know what the word means enough to not have to use random "thesaurus" adjectives.

And no, Nostalgia never had anything to do with what I said. I was comparing his dialogue delivery from the later pre-kai games (where Chris delivery started to change) to his current BoG deilvery. (which came off as exaggerated to me, but less so than Vegeta's overthetopness in that movie.) For example when he was listening to Beerus and Goku chat, he stated that Beerus sounded like he was trying to prep Goku, but not with an inquisitive tone, but a cynical tone - as if he didn't want to accept something like that while having no reason not to. Its that type of bizzare attitude I get from the way Piccolo post-kai speaks in his delivery now. Its not even about how his voice is tuned.
matt0044 wrote:Actually, it's usually it's whether or not they can portray the character well or not as well as if they can actual act. Honestly, dubs have gotten so much better compared to back then. Voice actors aren't voice imitators nor are they required to always be able to alter their voice.
Funimation has never been like that, and it shows if they would cast Kid Uub with the voice he currently has, which sounds nothing like what the character is described to be. There are also other dubs with similar problems as well. Miscasts do happen and Funimation is no exception, even now.
I actually have similar feelings on all of this as you and gohann, tbh.

Oh, and there are plenty of bad dubs still out there these days, contrary to what matt said: modern day children's anime dubs are actually worse now than they were back then, if you ask me. Dubbing has for the most part improved vastly in other regards like what matt said, but there are certainly terrible dubs still out there.
gohann wrote:I thought Sabat was a better Vegeta in Battle of Gods, though that bingo scene wasn't one of his best moments.
I think his Vegeta was pretty good apart from that scene in BoG, but his Piccolo is just bad. He always sounds flat when voicing him nowadays and there's no real depth to it: I actually prefer Scott McNeil's take, and it's rare for me to prefer an Ocean dub voice.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat May 30, 2015 10:44 am

Singh is King wrote: I think his Vegeta was pretty good apart from that scene in BoG, but his Piccolo is just bad. He always sounds flat when voicing him nowadays and there's no real depth to it: I actually prefer Scott McNeil's take, and it's rare for me to prefer an Ocean dub voice.
I do agree that Chris Sabat's Piccolo sucks, but when was it ever good?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 30, 2015 4:43 pm

gohann wrote:
Singh is King wrote: I think his Vegeta was pretty good apart from that scene in BoG, but his Piccolo is just bad. He always sounds flat when voicing him nowadays and there's no real depth to it: I actually prefer Scott McNeil's take, and it's rare for me to prefer an Ocean dub voice.
Ever since Kai.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:04 pm

gohann wrote:
I liked it in Kai where it was deep but not flat. I worked for his usually reserved personality.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sun May 31, 2015 11:21 am

It's still somewhat lacking in character or depth. Chris Sabat plays his reserved side just fine, but not really much else. It's not as bad as his initial performance, but still leaves much to be desired.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Singh is King wrote: I actually have similar feelings on all of this as you and gohann, tbh.

Oh, and there are plenty of bad dubs still out there these days, contrary to what matt said: modern day children's anime dubs are actually worse now than they were back then, if you ask me. Dubbing has for the most part improved vastly in other regards like what matt said, but there are certainly terrible dubs still out there.
Regardless of what people's standards for good acting come from, I find deleveries being the biggest problem with a lot of modern Dubs personally, where Funimation in particular now tries to be so dead-on-accurate to what they percieve, that the direction of their deliveries just come off as very stiff, monotoned and boring. The old dub at least sounded like most of the cast had fun with it in their post-Android Saga deliveries. Now they just sound like they're trying to squeeze into whatever box they have set for themselves for delivery their fanbase will accept. The only thing that really improved with dubbing these days us just scripting for the most part, but people today seem to think that so long as the script is right, the quality of the dub automatically must be as well.
ABED wrote:The Bingo scene WAS over the top so the delivery made sense.
Over the top does not mean, obnoxiously shout every word. That doesnt make a line read funny. It makes it sound stupid.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:21 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:It makes it sound stupid.
Well, the scene wasn't supposed to sound smart in the first place, so it fits.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Daisetsu wrote:
100% agreed. It's Vegeta trying to sing a goofy bingo song; of course he sounds like a freaking idiot.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
Daisetsu wrote:
100% agreed. It's Vegeta trying to sing a goofy bingo song; of course he sounds like a freaking idiot.
How do people not get this?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:16 pm

matt0044 wrote: How do people not get this?
Because Vegeta's supposed to be a "badass."

Apparently.

Because being a massive failure at basically everything he's tried to do, and being in denial about it are supposedly "badass."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 pm

For the most part I liked the dub of Kai. Some of the voice actor changes were for the better. Having someone other than Sabat voice all the characters is definitely was good step in the right direction. Ayers was wonderful as Frieza, can't wait to hear him in ROF. Also I was surprised when I heard Dende, they changed the voice I'd have thought Bailey would have stayed, but i really liked the new voice. Who ever the narrator was in Kai, I actually liked him better than the signature Hubert DBZ narrator voice. and pretty much everyone else is doing fine, no one really stood out (bad or good) for me to remember.

While I do prefer the Nadolny voice for kid Goku (especially goku's wasn't a fan at all for Clinkenbeard's goku.) and Gohan more than Clinkenbeard's, I have to give a big round of applause to Clinkenbeard for having her change her voice through out the course of the show for Gohan. It shows Gohan's growth as a character very well, we not only get to see him grow in maturity with his personality but also his changes physically :clap: I'd have love to see if Nadolny could have delivered this as well but I'll never know.

Overall I think a big reason why the kai dub was a lot better was the better dialog all around (yeah kai got a bit lazy in parts but no where near original Z levels of cheese.) I mean, I don't care if you're the greatest voice actor in the universe. No one can pull off "pop goes the weasel" when an iconic character dies and still be able to keep the tension of the scene. Another thing kai does right is cut out fighting filler, also hard to sound like a good VA when you have to say "ugh ah rah ugh" when the screen zooms in on your face for 5-10 seconds. the other reason too was the VA's have much more experience voicing these characters, some have been voicing their character for over 10 years lets hope they'd have it down by now. Also their talents have just increased over the years with other voicing roles.

---
I was watching battle of the gods and was there a reason why they went back and changed a couple character voice actors?
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:04 pm

gohann wrote:
I thought it was okay in Kai like what matt0044 said, but post-Kai it's regressed to this flat, gruff tone again in BoG. Not the "grunting ogre" of old, but nothing special, either.

Also I heard a trailer of RoF's dub: I think Goku's voice has improved, and so has Vegeta's, but McFarland's Roshi sounds silly now, IMO. Is that just me?

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:36 pm

I'd say it was decent at best in Kai but nothing special.

Roshi DOES sound off! What happened to his voice there?

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:14 pm

gohann wrote:I'd say it was decent at best in Kai but nothing special.

Roshi DOES sound off! What happened to his voice there?
Agreed: more or less the same thoughts.

No idea-- he sounds so silly and goofy now. I preferred McFarland's take on Roshi in DB, like in this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0SjqNrhyNE

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:19 am

It's funny, actually: FUNi DB gets better while FUNi Kai gets worse.