How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Re: How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion

Post by Singh is King » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 am

gohann wrote:It's funny, actually: FUNi DB gets better while FUNi Kai gets worse.
In terms of voice acting, I'd have to agree with that: that, and I can't name a single voice in the FUNi DB dub as bad as Chris Sabat's Recoome and Sean Schemmel's King Kai.

Script wise, Kai is better as it took less liberties, but sometimes can lapse into this Shakespearan literature esque dialogue (see Vegeta vs. Zarbon in Kai).

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:21 am

Having not seen the entirety of Kai's dub, I'll just keep updating this as I watch more of the series.

Gohan - Though I did miss Nadolny initially, Clinkenbeard was a fine replacement. She's the first Gohan I'd listened to where I thought the actor playing him might actually be a child. Her performances thus far have blown everyone before her out of the water. And what's interesting is that I can watch One Piece over and over, and despite knowing it's the same voice actor, I never hear Luffy in her Gohan. She does a really good job of being distinct with the character.

Freeza - Not really much of a comparison to make between old and new. Chris Ayers is the first Funi actor to truly do Freeza justice. His voice sounds very regal and cold at the same time. Much like Nakao. Performance wise, he's just as consistently great. That's not to say that I don't like Linda Young, but Ayers is on another level entirely.

Bulma - Thank God they replaced Vollmer with Rial. Bulma finally sounds like someone that might be an intelligent inventor, instead of a stuck up valley girl.

Ginyu - I prefer Brice Armstrong, but Elliott is perfectly fine. Really, most of the V.A.'s for the role sound the same.

Jeice - Meh. Though well performed, Jason Liebrecht's voice just isn't that memorable to me in the role. As cheesy as Chris Sabat's Jeice was, at least it was distinct. Not really much of a problem though, as Jeice isn't that large a character to start with.

Narrator - Getting an older voice to be closer to Yanami was a nice touch. Morgan sounds pretty much like Armstrong though, so I put them both in the top spot for dub narrators.
Last edited by Man-Child on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 pm

Brice Armstrong was a terrible Ginyu. He could never sound too commanding, nor could he ever sound intense. He sounds like an old man. Him as King Kai would be hilarious and fitting, especially if he continued to be the narrator.

Dale Kelly was a better Ginyu than Brice. He was over the top, yes, but that direction worked for Ginyu. He still sounded commanding and intense. However, I still think Ginyu's Ocean voice sounded the best, where it had the most military like voice. I could take Ocean Ginyu seriously.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Man-Child wrote:Gohan - Though I did miss Nadolny initially, Clinkenbeard was a fine replacement. She's the first Gohan I'd listened to where I thought the actor playing him might actually be a child. Her performances thus far have blown everyone before her out of the water.
I think, with me, I could never get behind Clinkenbeard performance just because of how Nadolny was dropped from the show. "Creative differences" iirc. I could get totally see the change with Frieza and the reasons they gave, and they also let Young keep her other roles...Nadolny was pretty much thrown to the curb which imo is pretty crappy. Voicing those characters for 10+ years to be dropped like nothing. Oh well, what can you do?
Man-child wrote:And what's interesting is that I can watch One Piece over and over, and despite knowing it's the same voice actor, I never hear Luffy in her Gohan. She does a really good job of being distinct with the character.
this is interesting, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with Clinkenbeard as Gohan and especially Kid Goku. All I hear is Luffy and that bugs me because it makes me want to turn off DBZ and put in some One Piece. :D

I do hope they recast Kid Goku in future products. Luffy and Goku are far too similar of characters to be voiced by the same VA. Gohan is fine because he is just so different from Luffy.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:55 am

Attitudefan wrote:Brice Armstrong was a terrible Ginyu. He could never sound too commanding, nor could he ever sound intense. He sounds like an old man. Him as King Kai would be hilarious and fitting, especially if he continued to be the narrator.

Dale Kelly was a better Ginyu than Brice. He was over the top, yes, but that direction worked for Ginyu. He still sounded commanding and intense. However, I still think Ginyu's Ocean voice sounded the best, where it had the most military like voice. I could take Ocean Ginyu seriously.
I guess it's up to personal taste, but to a degree, that's why I liked Armstrong. He sounded so much like Kelly, but not as over the top, and better performed. Even if he didn't have the bite that Kelly did.

Though I'm in complete agreement about Richard Newman. He was probably the best Ginyu of all the dub actors (whether Ocean or Funi). Shame that we never got to hear him face off against Kelamis' Goku. Would've been interesting to say the least.
Last edited by Man-Child on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:10 am

Ushabtis wrote:I think, with me, I could never get behind Clinkenbeard performance just because of how Nadolny was dropped from the show. "Creative differences" iirc. I could get totally see the change with Freeza and the reasons they gave, and they also let Young keep her other roles...Nadolny was pretty much thrown to the curb which imo is pretty crappy. Voicing those characters for 10+ years to be dropped like nothing. Oh well, what can you do?
Yeah, this is one of the main reasons why I didn't get into Kai initially. From what I've heard about the treatment of some replaced actors, it wasn't really fair. Especially given their loyalty and respect after so many years. I like Nadolny as Gohan too, which was extra insult to injury.
this is interesting, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with Clinkenbeard as Gohan and especially Kid Goku. All I hear is Luffy and that bugs me because it makes me want to turn off DBZ and put in some One Piece. :D

I do hope they recast Kid Goku in future products. Luffy and Goku are far too similar of characters to be voiced by the same VA. Gohan is fine because he is just so different from Luffy.
I'd have to agree. I like Clinkenbeard as Gohan, but Goku is another matter entirely. Her voice is just too high and screechy for Goku, and the Luffy resemblance is way too close.
Last edited by Man-Child on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:31 pm

I wish I could hear things from your perspective because I don't hear any screech from Clinkenbeard. I hear it plenty from Nadolny, not to mention terrible acting and rasp. Combine that with her terrible obnoxiously unnatural cadence that sounds like a cross between Janice from Friends, Woody Woodpecker, and Krusty.

I don't know exactly what happened, but regardless of how they went about getting new voices, I'm happy that they did because the replacements are better. I'm all for treating actors well, but deciding to go with a different actor is perfectly okay, and it doesn't matter how long the actors were with the show.
Luffy and Goku are far too similar of characters to be voiced by the same VA
Different show, so it doesn't matter, especially to those of us who don't watch both shows.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:50 pm

I'd have to agree. I like Clinkenbeard as Gohan, but Goku is another matter entirely. Her voice is just too high and screechy for Goku, and the Luffy resemblance is way too close.
Seconded, also she can't convey positive emotions without sounding pissed or annoyed in some way (or really almost any other emotion).

Their treatment of Nadolny and Vollmer, though... that's a whole other matter altogether.
Last edited by gohann on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:45 pm

gohann wrote:
<br abp="688">I'd have to agree. I like Clinkenbeard as Gohan, but Goku is another matter entirely. Her voice is just too high and screechy for Goku, and the Luffy resemblance is way too close.
<br abp="689">Seconded, also she can't convey positive emotions without sounding pissed or annoyed in some way (or really almost any other emotion).<br abp="690"><br abp="691">Their treatment of Nadolny and Voller, though... that's a whole other matter altogether.
Nadolny can't convey anything well. Even her laugh sounds fake. I just don't understand out of ALL the dub actors even fans of the original defend, why her? It's like people's reaction to Fury Road to me, I don't understand why so many people think it's anything other than a big dumb action movie. It feels like the emperor has no clothes.
Their treatment of Nadolny and Voller, though... that's a whole other matter altogether.
Are you arguing that they should've kept the actors or should've simply let them go more professionally?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:32 pm

ABED wrote:
Luffy and Goku are far too similar of characters to be voiced by the same VA
Different show, so it doesn't matter, especially to those of us who don't watch both shows.
Clinkenbeard voices one of the biggest shonen Jump characters ever in exsitance, and she will keep on voicing Kid Goku too, another huge character in the shonen Jump world. It does matter a great deal.

If you don't watch One piece fine and dandy but imo its silly to have her voicing both characters with both being very similar in terms of personality and in how their voices are portrayed by her voice acting. And for the another thing, I don't think the luffy style voice works on Kid Goku anyway. Make whoever voices Goten do it instead of Clinkenbeard.
ABED wrote:Are you arguing that they should've kept the actors or should've simply let them go more professionally?
for me Funi should have handled it far more professionally, The whole replacement isn't the issue for me.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Clinkenbeard voices one of the biggest shonen Jump characters ever in exsitance, and she will keep on voicing Kid Goku too, another huge character in the shonen Jump world. It does matter a great deal.

If you don't watch One piece fine and dandy but imo its silly to have her voicing both characters with both being very similar in terms of personality and in how their voices are portrayed by her voice acting. And for the another thing, I don't think the luffy style voice works on Kid Goku anyway. Make whoever voices Goten do it instead of Clinkenbeard.
I don't see why the precludes her from voicing both. Do the voices fit? That's all that should matter. If they are similar characters, then having the same person voice them both makes sense. I'm also confused, you say Goku and Luffy are very similar, but you don't think her voice doesn't work with Kid Goku.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:15 pm

ABED wrote:I don't see why the precludes her from voicing both. Do the voices fit? That's all that should matter.
agreed.
If they are similar characters, then having the same person voice them both makes sense.
no it doesn't, they should really spread the talent pool in Funi. Hearing the same 5 VAs in everything gets repetitive and dull. (but most dub companies have this problem not just Funi.)
I'm also confused, you say Goku and Luffy are very similar, but you don't think her voice doesn't work with Kid Goku.
Yes I don't think Clinkenbeard voice works for Kid Goku at all. I'd might go as far and say I hate it. Imo it doesn't match the character, its to high pitched and squeaky for a Goku especially considering his age. Then there's the Dragon Ball The Curse Of The Blood Rubies Re-Release, which is where my dislike for Clinkenbeard Kid Goku stemmed.

also the cringe worthy GT Goku in Xenoverse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=can7BAAiRbE but it is from video game acting usually takes a dip in those.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 pm

no it doesn't, they should really spread the talent pool in Funi. Hearing the same 5 VAs in everything gets repetitive and dull. (but most dub companies have this problem not just Funi.)
It's different characters on different shows, and the Simpsons has the bulk of its characters voiced by 4/5 people, but it works.
and squeaky
Never once did I hear a squeak, and is it worse than the Woody Woodpecker voice from Nadolny?
Imo it doesn't match the character
But you said Luffy and Goku are similar.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 pm

ABED wrote:Never once did I hear a squeak, and is it worse than the Woody Woodpecker voice from Nadolny?
perhaps squeaky isn't the right word but its far to high pitched for me. He's a jungle/monkey boy teenager not a 5-7 year old kid. The Clinkenbeard voice works well on Gohan but not Kid Goku.
They are similar, but that doesn't mean the same voice would work for each character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Ushabtis wrote:
ABED wrote:Never once did I hear a squeak, and is it worse than the Woody Woodpecker voice from Nadolny?
perhaps squeaky isn't the right word but its far to high pitched for me. He's a jungle/monkey boy teenager not a 5-7 year old kid. The Clinkenbeard voice works well on Gohan but not Kid Goku.
They are similar, but that doesn't mean the same voice would work for each character.
And you think Nadolny's voice fit a teenager?

Maybe not Clinkenbeard, but what about Henderson?

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:57 pm

ABED wrote:Nadolny can't convey anything well. Even her laugh sounds fake. I just don't understand out of ALL the dub actors even fans of the original defend, why her? It's like people's reaction to Fury Road to me, I don't understand why so many people think it's anything other than a big dumb action movie. It feels like the emperor has no clothes.
Their treatment of Nadolny and Voller, though... that's a whole other matter altogether.
Are you arguing that they should've kept the actors or should've simply let them go more professionally?
But at least Stephanie Nadolny isn't so loud and ear-grating; Colleen Clinkenbeard doesn't even sound remotely tolerable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcVmNUMsnk
0:05 Too throaty and feminine
0:09 No sense of urgency here.
0:13 Flat
0:21 conveys the right emotion decently, but still isn't as well-acted as it could be.
It's all downhill from there.

They could have went about it a lot better than they did, if they had to let them go.
ABED wrote: Maybe not Clinkenbeard, but what about Henderson?
Saffron Henderson isn't feminine, throaty, or annoying like Colleen Clinkenbeard's take.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:03 pm

ABED wrote:And you think Nadolny's voice fit a teenager?
In original Dragon ball? no it was too lacking and too forced but I'd say everyone in the original DB dub was lacking and forced but by GT I'd say Nadolny had it down pretty well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876Ar-hRGIQ

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:33 am

I liked her DB Goku more than GT Goku, but both are good. This post from back in 2006 sums up my thoughts better:

"Stephanie Nadolny never ceases to amaze me. Her version is vastly different from Masako Nozawa's, so the sound of "your" Gohan is a true matter of preference, but Nadolny shows an incredible vocal range in the dub that I've really come to appreciate. Goku in Dragonball and Gohan are not so dissimilar where they don't sound related, but you're right; there is a distinction that puts them apart just a bit. It's a bit hard to define in words, though.

Different from both of them is GT Goku, whom I think Nadolny handles really well. It would have been really easy for her to just crank out the DB Goku sound for GT, but the tone and delivery of her lines is a lot different. Her inflections make it so I really can believe that it really is adult Goku trapped in a childhood form.

Perhaps the best way to catch just how wide her range can be is to compare Kid Gohan to the voice Nadolny produces for SSJ2 Gohan. If a grown woman trying to sound like a little boy entails a certain degree of difficulty, then I imagine it would be multiplied several times over when she takes the boy's voice to a pitch so low and focused that he sounds almost like a teenager."

In contrast, Colleen Clinkenbeard barely distinguishes her characters. Gohan and DB Goku are different enough, but her DB Goku and GT Goku are pretty much the same, just the latter is more throaty. Zoe Slusar and Stephanie Nadolny distinguished them well.
Last edited by gohann on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:45 am

gohann wrote:
Their treatment of Nadolny and Vollmer, though... that's a whole other matter altogether.
What bothers me is there are still worse voices in the Kai dub IMO than what those two put out in any of their roles, yet they got replaced. :roll:

Can't believe anyone can tolerate Sabat's Recoome, Cranz's Chi Chi, or Schemmel's King Kai over them, tbh.
Ushabtis wrote:
ABED wrote:
Make whoever voices Goten do it instead of Clinkenbeard.
Kara Edwards's Goten? I...would actually really prefer that voice on Kid Goku over Colleen's, tbh.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:54 am

Singh is King wrote: Can't believe anyone can tolerate Sabat's Recoome, Cranz's Chi Chi, or Schemmel's King Kai over them, tbh.
I actually kind of like Cynthia Cranz (the acting and voice are good, but the direction doesn't allow her to show much range), but those other two should have been the first ones to be recast. Even Chris Sabat's Zarbon at its worst wasn't quite as bad as either of those two.