Episode #0320 (06 January 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0320 (06 January 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Episode #0320 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
77:48; 96 kbps, mono; 53.6 MB

Episode #0320! VegettoEX, Hujio, Julian, and Meri all reflect on 2012's biggest Dragon Ball news stories. The second half of the year was obviously a big one, but some of the earlier news stories were just as fun. What were some of the biggest trends and surprises? How did our predictions line up with reality, and what do we all collectively as fandom see in our future for 2013? Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Craddle
Regular

Re: Episode #0320 (06 January 2013)

Post by Craddle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks! Listening to it now. I'll comment after the podcast is over.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Just gonna pop in quickly to make one outrageous prediction:
Battle of Gods will contain a sequel hook for 30th Anniversary Movie. :shock:

Full comments, predictions, etc. later

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just gonna pop in quickly to make one outrageous prediction:
Battle of Gods will contain a sequel hook for 30th Anniversary Movie. :shock:

Full comments, predictions, etc. later
Please be true. Please be true...

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm

I think you may be right about Zenkai Battle Royale in 2014 except, I do not think it will be available to an outdated platform. PS4 will be released way before ZBR will be.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Craddle wrote:I think you may be right about Zenkai Battle Royale in 2014 except, I do not think it will be available to an outdated platform. PS4 will be released way before ZBR will be.
Naw, I doubt it would be released on that hardware. There were Dragon Ball games to come onto the Playstation 2 after the release of the Playstation 3. Besides, the game like that would be kind of jarring on a new platform since it really isn't that visually impressive.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Zenkai Battle Royale is running on PS3-based hardware. If all the current speculation about Sony abandoning the Cell processor for the PS4/Orbis is accurate, porting the game would possibly be more effort than it's worth. I think it's either PS3 or nothing for that arcade bad boy.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
Craddle wrote:I think you may be right about Zenkai Battle Royale in 2014 except, I do not think it will be available to an outdated platform. PS4 will be released way before ZBR will be.
Naw, I doubt it would be released on that hardware. There were Dragon Ball games to come onto the Playstation 2 after the release of the Playstation 3. Besides, the game like that would be kind of jarring on a new platform since it really isn't that visually impressive.
So either the game will come out earlier then predicted or the PS4 will be delayed. Releasing a game like this to an outdated platform is a terrible idea. My guess is the PS4 will be delayed and not out for Christmas. Even if it is based on a PS3 platform, when they released games to PS2 when PS3 was released, imagine how much $ they would have made if they were released on a brand new platform.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Great episode! Was looking forward to it all week as usual. :)

And let's see how I did:
-There will be a significant change in the main Dragon Ball console game next year in terms of gameplay. Sale numbers will still continue to get lower.
- Funimation will acknowledge 'Episode of Bardock' and the 'Dragon Ball SSSS' project but won't put out anything
- Funimation will make another big announcement regarding Dragon Ball and something fans have been desperately wanting. (Jump Anime Tour Special? Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans? Dragon Box: The Movies? etc.)
- VIZ still won't be doing anything with Dragon Ball. (Perhaps 'Episode of Bardock' in 2013?)
- Nicktoons will continue to pick up more Dragon Ball material.
- The Z Kai 'Part' home releases will be finished (before July?).
- Z Blu-Rays and Kai Season Sets will both continue to be put out.
- More new animation from Japan.
- Dragon Ball game put out for the Playstation Vita.
- 'Episode of Bardock' Tankoubon for Japan.
- Dragon Ball franchise in Japan still refuses to die. ("There is nothing we can't live through. Nothing ever dies; we will rise agaiiiinn! :lol:

And finally, my "want" rather than my realistic prediction:
- Zenkai Battle Royale put out on the PS3 and Xbox 360.......please!
1: Hm, I wouldn't call Kinect the main game as it didn't come out in Japan, so I won't give myself this.
2: Nope, not that I know of.
3: Nope, been a pretty quiet year for FUNI. We did have the survey though.
4: Thought I was being safe here. :| We have that 3-in-1 re-release coming next year.
5: Finally, something I got right. Nicktoons picked up GT at the start of this year.
6: Yes, the 'Part sets' did finish this year, although I can't remember when.
7: Season sets yes, Blu-Ray sets; horribly, horribly wrong
8: New animation? Oh, we got new animation all right.
9: Yes, we have Project J coming next year, but if you wanna get technical, you can say it doesn't count as 2012
10: Well it was re-released in a later issue of Jump as an insert. :wink:
11: Yep, Dragon Ball lives on and it will continue to do so for at least another year
Thought I was being fairly safe last year. Apparently now. :roll:

Will need a moment to think of my predictions for this coming year. Gonna re-listen to the episode and then return later on.
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Julian humming/singing Dragon Ball Densetsu. I am DYING right here. I suppose he must be thinking about it thanks to the thread that opened up about DB Movie 3 recently.
Craddle wrote: Releasing a game like this to an outdated platform is a terrible idea.
Just because a successor console is released doesn't mean the previous one is automatically an old dead thing. PS2 went strong after the PS3 came out and only officially closed up shop recently. And no, they won't make more money by putting it on the PS4, because no one will have the PS4 yet.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Ryuman wrote:Julian humming/singing Dragon Ball Densetsu. I am DYING right here. I suppose he must be thinking about it thanks to the thread that opened up about DB Movie 3 recently.
Craddle wrote: Releasing a game like this to an outdated platform is a terrible idea.
Just because a successor console is released doesn't mean the previous one is automatically an old dead thing. PS2 went strong after the PS3 came out and only officially closed up shop recently. And no, they won't make more money by putting it on the PS4, because no one will have the PS4 yet.
I never said it wasn't a strong platform at the time, I just said they could have made more $ by releasing it to an updated platform. Also, you can't tell me or anyone what WILL happen when these our predictions.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey, just wondering if you guys ever plan on doing more two-topic episodes again? I remember you did a few back in 2010 that ran for a couple of hours.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 pm

I missed the call to post predictions on Facebook somehow, but no matter - I didn't really have any until I got to thinking about it while listening to the podcast anyway. :P

Let's see here...I'm trying to think of something original honestly, rather than just parroting things that were already said. I agree with you Mike that Battle of Gods will do well, but not One Piece: Film Z levels. I do have high hopes that maybe, just maybe, it can match Strong World though. It's not likely maybe, but that's my hope.

Beyond that, I think we'll actually get some kind of new game entirely. They've gotta milk the new characters from Battle of Gods somehow after all. If it's not a new game though, then I shift the prediction to Bils (and possibly Whis as well) making appearances in Dragon Ball Online, as well as maybe being added to Zenkai Battle Royale. Oh, and Heroes of course.

I hadn't heard about the One Piece films getting novelizations, that's awesome. I dunno how likely one of those for Battle of Gods is, but I'm going to place bets on a manga adaptation actually. Not by Toriyama sadly though, my bet is going to be on Ooishi. Giving her something to do that we might actually halfway care about (I'm loving all the 'joke' hate on SD. I really want to care about SD, I really do, but I...I just can't).

Possibly my biggest prediction, and the one I'm really, really hoping for - FUNimation WILL finally get the freakin' JSAT special. They'll somehow wrangle together a deal together, and throw it together onto a DVD (possibly a 2 disc set, depending on what else they add in here), containing not only it, but 'Episode of Bardock' and 'The Plan to Destroy the Super Saiyans'. They could possibly even work out the snags to include the original Plan on there (probably in sub-only format however, because dubbing the same thing twice would be pretty redundant, when we're getting both right away anyway) and for lols, the Goku Safety specials...but those are a foregone conclusion at this point I think. They'll call the set something like 'Dragon Ball Z: Premium Collection' or something.

And...that's all I got.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 am

I got a prediction...

Funimation will make another print of Dragon Box 2 and sell it to me...

Okay, that is more of dream than a prediction.

Some real predictions would be.... :think:

Battle of Gods won't be dubbed and given a U.S home release until late in this year.

Dragon Box the movies get's announced. No idea when it comes out though.

No Video game release this year, but there will be an announcement for next year.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 am

The staff's plans for sending each other cookies along with the soothing performance of "Dragon Ball Legend" at the end had be cracking up more than I realized. :lol:

It was interesting to hear the domestic "Battle Of Gods" predictions. I like the idea of FOX getting the FUNi cast and handling production, while FUNi handles distribution. All I want is for FUNi to be involved somehow. I need my Steve Simmons subs, people...

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 am

"Bitches gonna get stitches!"

This is why I love Meri.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:20 am

Chuquita on Wed Dec 14, 2011 wrote:Nothing as grandiose as my predictions of years past, so...

1) Episode of Bardock will be a oneshot Jump Tour only special, not a whole series. Maybe if they feel confident enough they'll 3-episode OVA it?
2) SD will continue in the style it has been without taking any big chances.
3) There will be another new yearly console fighting game.
4) More DBO plot will slowly trickle out.
5) Z's Buu arc will eventually air on Nicktoons some time after they finish with GT.

I'd love to see something crazy, fresh, and exciting though. A new series or new animated movie featuring the main cast, animated Cross Epoch, even something as bizarre as a completely rebooted attempt at a LAM would at least be interesting. If there's one thing I feel that's been personally lacking for me lately in Dragon Ball related news, it's stuff that I find interesting, and I miss that.

My predictions are for the generic, but my wishes are the intriguing.
1 - I'm happy it did turn out to be a one-episode-only thing, that way they didn't have to fill up on bread. :3 Also, TFS' abridging of EoB late last year was wonderful.
2 - Yup. SD's still trudging along.
3 - This happened too.
4 - While we did get more, it wasn't of anything as (imo) mind-blowing and full of tragimance as the previous year's plot-update about Age 801. *_* The 2012 DBO plot updates were mostly new enemy designs (like four-legged Cell o_O)
5 - I don't think this one happened, after some brief googling I'm pretty sure it didn't. Also, I should not make predictions related to parts of the franchise that I do not actually follow, namely whatever's happening with NickToons airing episodes on its channel. >_>

Re: The statement I bolded from the quote just now.
Yes. I had one of the best fandom-related Tuesdays ever this past July when that countdown site announced they were counting down to a Dragon Ball movie. And not just a Dragon Ball movie. A 2-D animated Dragon Ball movie featuring the main cast and taking place during those ten years between Buu and Uub (my favorite unknown era) with magical reality-warpers as the villains and something hilarious potentially happening to Vegeta within. It's near-everything I wanted a new DB movie to have. To ask for more would be for me to wade into fangirl territory with my requests (new magical powerup for Goku with amazing new outfit and not necessarily ssj, a "big damn loss" moment of despair for him after the first or second defeat before he comes back with the new magical powerup to defeat Birusu on the third try, funny and tension-filled interactions between him and Vegeta before if/whatever happens to Vegeta happens to him, Bulma announcing she's pregnant and going to have a daughter, Gohan proposing to Videl at the very end of the film, etc).

So yeah; 2013. This is indeed my Bonus Stage. If BOG hadn't appeared in late July, I could not tell you exactly how active I'd still be right now. As such most of my 2013 predictions are gonna be BOG-related.
Here we go!

1)Citing their relationship with Toei and long history with the franchise along with their dub's popularity, Funimation manages to (though not without some difficulty on FOX's part) secure the dubbing and translating of BOG for its NA release (which will be uncut). The DVD will share the Japanese DVD's cover-art (same as the movie poster?) and be released some time near the end of this year (Nov/Dec) featuring Funi's dub/translations plus the original Japanese with subtitles. FOX's only presence will be a logo on the side/back of the box and the 20th Century FOX logo shot popping up at the very beginning of the film. Japan will get a DVD and BR release. NA will only get a DVD release because FOX doesn't think they'd earn enough money from it even though Funi would want a BR in addition to the DVD. Those who want the BR will import (as NA and Japan share the same BR region.)

2)U.S. theater showings for BOG. A small, one-night, only-major-cities theater showing for BOG (in dub form) by Funi some time in September/October. There will be earlier (summer) con-season showings only if Funi has their dub ready by then.

3)VJump will shoulder the bulk of Shueisha info-dumps for BOG until March when Weekly Shounen Jump finally joins in.

4)BOG will get an animanga and an artbook. The artbook will have some Toriyama design sketches, but the bulk will be from Yamamuro.

5)No tie-in manga chapter for BOG (even though I want one). The LAM motivated Toriyama to come up with movie ideas, but it didn't motivate him enough to want to draw another 15 to 20 pages. XD

6)Know what, Goku does get his magical, movie-only powerup (with new costume) so that Toei may merchandize it as far as they possibly can. If I end up really liking the powerup, I will buy a figure of it.

7)Agreeing with the podcast prediction that BOG's Japanese earnings in the theater will be slightly below Strong World's.

8 )Another yearly videogame for consoles. It won't be Zenkai Battle Royale.

9)More slowly-leaking plot-updates for DBO.

10)SD continues and I continue to not care about SD. The art still looks cute though.

11)Still no JSAT U.S. release.

shmike

Post by shmike » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

My predictions:
1. Serious One: BoG's new characters will get dubbed by people of Fox's choosing (maybe celebs). Rest of cast will be the Kai version (the Kai 18, any other VA replacements when Z Kai continues, etc).
2. Hopeful (but unlikely) One: Dragon Ball Heroes becomes an anime/OVA (long or short lived series).
3. Thoughtful One: BoG gets released to theaters WITH JSAT at limited screenings.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 pm

I agree. I don't know why some people think releasing a game for the PS3 in 2014 is crazy.

Sony has released PS1 games while the PS2 was out. And PS2 games while PS3 was out. Hell, we got Ultimate Battle 22 on PS1 in 2003! :shock:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I agree. I don't know why some people think releasing a game for the PS3 in 2014 is crazy.

Sony has released PS1 games while the PS2 was out. And PS2 games while PS3 was out. Hell, we got Ultimate Battle 22 on PS1 in 2003! :shock:
So, you don't agree with Craddle? Because you said you agreed but said the opposite of his opinion.

Regardless, Sony won't just outright abandon their hardware like Nintendo & Microsoft usually does. The PS3 will still be alive in budget form for years to come.
Last edited by Insertclevername on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.