"DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: "DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Th

Post by omegalucas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:51 pm

It's disappointing, they took away Ki-charging again... (there's no command for Ki charging in the controller screen of the last video).

EDIT: Then again, the guy charges in the video...
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Haseowolf wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Hold up, Super Vegetto is only playable in Europe and Australia?
Don't get bent out of shape and use it for more hate fuel - all that's said was there will be a code to unlock him that comes with the PAL version. As stated above it could be similar to other games where he's already playable, but must be unlocked later in the game. Thus just giving you the character at the start.
OK good. I was about rage harder. The gameplay still looks terribad, but cutting a staple character would have made me write an angry letter.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm

pandamix wrote:Unbelieveble. The game will use RB1 and Ultimate Tenkaichi soundtrack. This can't be happening..
That was said. I'd be disappointed if this game didn't get it's own soundtrack. Though I love the RB1 soundtrack so I'd have no problem with it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:52 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Silkman3003 wrote:trailer aside, heres some demo gameplay from tgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkzPf16p7A
Wow... NVM what I said, this game looks like total garbage :sick: .
I hate to say but I entirely agree with him and not having the Kikuchi score as Nostal confirmed a while back isn't very assuring that he's someone trustworthy, well, maybe at one point it was going to have it though as it looks like, no longer.

ARTDINK should only allow to release new gameplay footage if it's improved otherwise it's just more evidence to avoid purchasing this game. I'm more interested buying J-Stars Victory Vs than this thing.

Seriously how could you f-- this up so much Namco Bandai (eh, in all fairness it's ARTDINK's fault) it was a brilliant idea for a DBZ home console game.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:49 pm

You know, I like this trailer. I think the completely over-the-top delivery by Sabat is just great, :lol: somehow it feels close in tone to both the old Japanese trailers and the old Z dub.

Bills/Birus sounds quite different from what I was expecting, but it's too early to make a judgement just yet.

Just noticed that there are two versions of the BoZ trailer out:

One with Sabat's narration and the Japanese voices (features FLOW's cover of Head-Cha-La): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ghEz5Xx6k

And the other with Sabat's narration and the English voices (no FLOW, but different music): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIs718L2eU

As for the gameplay, it looks fine to me, a bit simple, maybe. I look forward to actually playing a DBZ game with other people for a change. :lol:
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

pandamix
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pandamix » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:31 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Silkman3003 wrote:trailer aside, heres some demo gameplay from tgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkzPf16p7A
Wow... NVM what I said, this game looks like total garbage :sick: .
Seriously how could you f-- this up so much Namco Bandai (eh, in all fairness it's ARTDINK's fault) it was a brilliant idea for a DBZ home console game.
It's not ARTDINK fault..Why you say that? It's Namco Bandai producers who told what ARTDINK should do, they just follow orders, they don't have the power to include what they want.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Oh god... did they really have to have Sabat narrate the new trailer? He wasn't a good narrator back in Funimation's early days and he's not a good one now.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:06 pm

NitroEX wrote:Oh god... did they really have to have Sabat narrate the new trailer? He wasn't a good narrator back in Funimation's early days and he's not a good one now.
And over the European version, that features the Japanese voices and Flow, no less lol.

Although, after stepping back for a bit, I'm starting to wonder if the European version will actually keep the Kikuchi score with Flow's Cha-La in the opening. I mean, going from the differences in the trailers this time, and the gameplay demo that was show last time in France and now this one featured by American gaming sites....Maybe there's still hope for at least that?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Why is when the gamplay of a dragon ball game is bad it's praised, and when it's going in the right direction it's called crap? Pretty much everything from Tenkacihi-U-Tenkaichi has been absolutely horrible.
I will say this, this will be a dragon ball game I can at least play for more than a day regretting the purchase (every DB game to date has been gawd awful on consoles, not including the cool rpgs that were released)

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Because you're in the minority opinion who feel that way.(In terms of all dbz console games being "crap" except for those rpg games).

That and i'm sure a lot of people here are used to the Tenkaichi style , so when they see a game like this, aside from the 4 vs 4 play, they aren't really seeing much of what already wasn't in Tenkaichi. Nostalgia may play a part too, as some games, even if they are outdated(i'm not saying they are), are seen as great and can never be surpassed

The gameplay videos haven't really done the game justice, either. Hell Dboxkaifan(and even myself to an extent) were neutral on the game, but when you constantly see videos of people who don't know how to play the game, or where it doesn't really show too much, it gets old after awhile because it may give the impression that the combat really is barebones, even if it isn't.

I think what would really help are gameplay impressions from people who play the game at TGS(and know WTF THEY ARE DOING!). Which, in all honestly we should be getting soon, especially since there are some for J stars.
Last edited by Silkman3003 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Birus voice sounds what I expect him to sound in English. The trailer looks good and I'm likely to buy the game. I'm not sure if I will pay $60 for it though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Why is when the gamplay of a dragon ball game is bad it's praised, and when it's going in the right direction it's called crap? Pretty much everything from Tenkacihi-U-Tenkaichi has been absolutely horrible.
I will say this, this will be a dragon ball game I can at least play for more than a day regretting the purchase (every DB game to date has been gawd awful on consoles, not including the cool rpgs that were released)
For what it's worth, I'm generally excited for this game. It's a fresh take on it, while still being comparable to Zenkai Battle Royal, which is fun.

At this point, my only beef with the game is maybe having to pre-order it for Super Saiyan Bardock and Vegetto (although, I'll need to anyway for the Sage Naruto costume) and the possible soundtrack issue again. And I want Gohan with the Kaioshin outfit and Chilled :P
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Seeing how Whis was fighting in the trailer, I'm really curious what they will do with him since he didn't fight in the movie at all (besides that karate chop). Heroes only gave him one special attack too...

Also, here's a look at the "pre-order" exclusive characters, in-game:

SS Vegetto:
SS Bardock:
SS Goku (Sage):
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:37 pm

You mean that we are gonna get Super Vegetto as DLC?! That's awesome!... :roll:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Source: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/i ... een030.jpg
Liking this shout-out to the movie poster; I actually like this image better. XD (And not just because of ssjg Goku, I like how Beers looks in this screenshot better than his Babidi-face on the poster).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:25 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:Just noticed that there are two versions of the BoZ trailer out:

One with Sabat's narration and the Japanese voices (features FLOW's cover of Head-Cha-La): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ghEz5Xx6k

And the other with Sabat's narration and the English voices (no FLOW, but different music): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIs718L2eU
Actually, there's a third on Namco Bandai's US Youtube account:

English voices and FLOW's cover of Head-Cha-La: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99HQONj17VM
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 pm

omegalucas wrote:It's disappointing, they took away Ki-charging again... (there's no command for Ki charging in the controller screen of the last video).

EDIT: Then again, the guy charges in the video...
in this video the player charged frequently...take a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GM034p3VQo
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Why is when the gamplay of a dragon ball game is bad it's praised, and when it's going in the right direction it's called crap? Pretty much everything from Tenkacihi-U-Tenkaichi has been absolutely horrible.
I'm sorry but I can't even comprehend the logic behind this statement. The gameplay for BoZ looks awful. No seriously, this is BT1 bad. I've only seen ONE combo... ONE! No one has tried any variation. It's punch, punch, punch, and smash attack *opponent goes flying*(End combo). Until I see a basic cancel system implemented into the gameplay, I don't see how anyone can defend this gameplay. I'm all 4 a 4 player DBZ game, but not one like this. From what I can gather, this gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Gameplay aside, this game doesn't allow in-game transformations or offline multiplayer. If you want this game, more power to you, I however am HIGHLY disappointed.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
I'm sorry but I can't even comprehend the logic behind this statement. The gameplay for BoZ looks awful. No seriously, this is BT1 bad. I've only seen ONE combo... ONE! No one has tried any variation. It's punch, punch, punch, and smash attack *opponent goes flying*(End combo). Until I see a basic cancel system implemented into the gameplay, I don't see how anyone can defend this gameplay. I'm all 4 a 4 player DBZ game, but not one like this. From what I can gather, this gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Gameplay aside, this game doesn't allow in-game transformations or offline multiplayer. If you want this game, more power to you, I however am HIGHLY disappointed.
We don't know that for sure. Remember people who plays these games at these events tend to be very bad lol So maybe there are more combos but no one knows how to pull them off yet.
Last edited by GogetaSSJ2 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 pm

GogetaSSJ2 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Source please?
Of what?