Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Another live action DBZ Project

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm

sangofe wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:
sangofe wrote: I think it is an issue.
If things were like this, I guess we should criticize Vegeta's Seiyuu for saying "Fainaru Furash" and "Biguu Bang Atack" :P Instead of their Correct English Pronuntiation :P Not trying to push my opinion though, I can understand why you would not be comfortable. It's a question of Choice. :D
Uh, no, those can't be compared at all.
It's quite the same really, only at different sides of the table. :P But yeah, i'm not trying to start a riot, just going in a neutral stand off. Some things get too much hate :P
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 pm

sangofe wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:
sangofe wrote: I think it is an issue.
If things were like this, I guess we should criticize Vegeta's Seiyuu for saying "Fainaru Furash" and "Biguu Bang Atack" :P Instead of their Correct English Pronuntiation :P Not trying to push my opinion though, I can understand why you would not be comfortable. It's a question of Choice. :D
Uh, no, those can't be compared at all.
IMO, I'm with Liger in that they can. JP Vegeta mispronouncing English words isn't much different than English people mispronouncing a JP word.

About the project though, it looks pretty good so far. But I dunno where they get off thinking they can win me over by casting a beautiful actress as 18.

Protip: They can.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40 pm

How do you know how it was supposed to be pronounced? Kamehameha never was a word, but a name. And even though the king (or whatever it was again) was from Hawaii, was it pronounced the FUNimation way? Or English at all? Is there proof of how the pronunciation should be for it?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:30 pm

sangofe wrote:How do you know how it was supposed to be pronounced? Kamehameha never was a word, but a name. And even though the king (or whatever it was again) was from Hawaii, was it pronounced the FUNimation way? Or English at all? Is there proof of how the pronunciation should be for it?
From the sound if your post, it looks like your arguing towards there being no "right" way to say it. However, IIRC, you seemed to be the one who initially had an issue with how it was pronounced...

Despite "Kamehameha" being more than an attack name and actually having a Japanese meaning/corresponding kanji/pronunciation, I feel like both Liger and I were on the side of "who's to say how it should be pronounced?" Maybe not even that, I was saying the "may" has less to do with mispronouncing the word and more to do with the "American accent" it's spoken in.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:38 am

I wrote the script for this new live action DBZ project, and I've posted an article about it on my blog.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news ... t-of-hope/

The trailer for the project will premiere this Monday.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:29 am

Big Momma wrote:
sangofe wrote:How do you know how it was supposed to be pronounced? Kamehameha never was a word, but a name. And even though the king (or whatever it was again) was from Hawaii, was it pronounced the FUNimation way? Or English at all? Is there proof of how the pronunciation should be for it?
From the sound if your post, it looks like your arguing towards there being no "right" way to say it. However, IIRC, you seemed to be the one who initially had an issue with how it was pronounced...

Despite "Kamehameha" being more than an attack name and actually having a Japanese meaning/corresponding kanji/pronunciation, I feel like both Liger and I were on the side of "who's to say how it should be pronounced?" Maybe not even that, I was saying the "may" has less to do with mispronouncing the word and more to do with the "American accent" it's spoken in.
The creator is Japanese, the King was from Hawaii. Did they always speak English in Hawaii? And yes, I have many, many issues about how Funimation pronounce it because it wasn't said that was in the original version. I have issues about how the french dub pronounced it as well. Even though they can't help it because they practically unable to say the "h" as a sound. You don't have an answer to how the original king's name was pronounced either, so you can't say you're right and I'm wrong. The fact is that you don't know, and neither do I, how Toriyama really intended it to sound, but there's a probability it was how it is in the Japanese version.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 am

DerekPadula wrote:I wrote the script for this new live action DBZ project, and I've posted an article about it on my blog.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news ... t-of-hope/

The trailer for the project will premiere this Monday.
Nice! I'm excited to see the trailer.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:33 am

sangofe wrote: The creator is Japanese, the King was from Hawaii. Did they always speak English in Hawaii? And yes, I have many, many issues about how Funimation pronounce it because it wasn't said that was in the original version. I have issues about how the french dub pronounced it as well. Even though they can't help it because they practically unable to say the "h" as a sound. You don't have an answer to how the original king's name was pronounced either, so you can't say you're right and I'm wrong. The fact is that you don't know, and neither do I, how Toriyama really intended it to sound, but there's a probability it was how it is in the Japanese version.
Well Hawaiians pronounce it the Funimation way http://youtu.be/qJAJLrqzHmY?t=41m47s.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 am

qjz123 wrote:
sangofe wrote: The creator is Japanese, the King was from Hawaii. Did they always speak English in Hawaii? And yes, I have many, many issues about how Funimation pronounce it because it wasn't said that was in the original version. I have issues about how the french dub pronounced it as well. Even though they can't help it because they practically unable to say the "h" as a sound. You don't have an answer to how the original king's name was pronounced either, so you can't say you're right and I'm wrong. The fact is that you don't know, and neither do I, how Toriyama really intended it to sound, but there's a probability it was how it is in the Japanese version.
Well Hawaiians pronounce it the Funimation way http://youtu.be/qJAJLrqzHmY?t=41m47s.
Yeah, of course they would now seeing how it's a part of the US, but how about before?

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:39 pm

sangofe wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Yeah, of course they would now seeing how it's a part of the US, but how about before?
They still retain their own culture and she's a native of the country there would be no reason for them to Americanize his name especially in a documentary about him. They're aren't pronouncing Hawaii the American way.
Kendamu wrote:

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:40 pm

I'd personally pronounce it the Japanese way. Pronoucing it like the king's name ignores the only part of the attack that's actually a word at the end. かめはめ. Most of the attack doesn't translate to anything, so it doesn't translate to Turtle Destructive Wave. It's just Kamehame Wave. That's another pet peeve with Kamehameha Wave, it's redundant, that ha at the end is 'wave'. I'm almost certain that's why aometimes Kamehameha is romanized as Kamehame-ha, to emphasize the ha at the end.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:08 pm

The Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope Trailer has arrived!!

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news ... e-trailer/

Created by Robot Underdog and myself, we believe this trailer represents the hope of every Dragon Ball Z fan in the world.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Captures the tone of Trunks' future and feels more like something that could actually come out of Dragon Ball compared to other live action attempts. But, that may be your writing at work Derek. Nice job so far!

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Very nice looking. I'm hyped for it!

I like #18's style, it kinda looks more like Super #17 with the long hair and the uncovered shoulders. :P

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:10 pm

I really liked the trailer can't wait to see more!
Kendamu wrote:

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Captures the tone of Trunks' future and feels more like something that could actually come out of Dragon Ball compared to other live action attempts. But, that may be your writing at work Derek. Nice job so far!
Thanks for saying so.

The environment of Trunks' alternate future lends itself to drama and is more realistic and gritty compared to other parts of the Dragon Ball story, which is why we chose it.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Much, much better than the previous abominations we've had for now. My only concern is some potentially stiff movements, specifically with the launching of ki attacks. I admit I'm not overly worried about it though, because making the CGI ki techniques feel as "organic" as they do in the manga or anime isn't really an easy task. For example though, the launching of 18's blast in the trailer. It seem's like they tried to have her make her arm movement dynamic and the launching feel like it had an impact, but it still fell kind of flat to me. If they wanted something more dynamic, I really think it would look a lot better if the direction was less "firing a laser out of your hand" and more "throwing a baseball". Not saying to throw ki attacks like a baseball, of course, just saying it would be nice to get that organic launching feeling that has the full body behind it. Then again, if it's supposed to intentionally feel "lifeless", seeing how she's one of the cold artificial humans from the future, then she probably could have done less with her actions. With her not even being in combat, just firing the blast, she probably could have just raised her arm up directly from her side instead of using the thrust.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm

I hear you on the 'stiffness' of 18, but it's not my department. Amy is a trained Wushu performer, so she knows how to be fluid. I can only presume it is deliberate.

Glad you enjoyed the rest of the trailer.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Obviouslty, not trying to sound like a jerk here (or below). I wasn't really aiming what I had to say at anyone in particular, just making observations and spewing statements into the public.

Anyway, being trained in Wushu, or anything else, is a fairly irrelevant point. If you guys happened to think what she's doing isn't working visually, then it is the director's job to actually step in and direct the actors on how to get what you're looking for for the product. Even if she isn't being paid (I don't know how this is working and it's really none of my business), she is still and actor on the web series and it is the actor's job to follow the directions they are given, and she seems more than professional enough to do so. If this is the look you guys are going for with the project or it doesn't bother any of you, then cool. I can respect that. No problem.

Like I said to begin with, I'm not really all that worried about it. Constructive criticism is always good, and that was the only thing I could think of that I would address. I'm still going to follow the project. :D
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 pm

No worries, and I agree with you on all points. We're excited to hear what the fans think so we can make adjustments in response to their constructive feedback.