Dragon Ball Z Light of Hope

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DerekPadula
Regular

Re: Another live action DBZ Project

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:01 pm

The IndieGogo campaign ended months ago. We already filmed Episode 1 and it's now in post production.

I can't comment on the scrutiny aspect, but I do know that Robot Underdog was hesitant to ask for money, both for the sake of asking fans to contribute and for legal concerns. But it turned out fine.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 pm

I think the only problem with donating money, is that if the final product sucks, you're pissed :mrgreen:

There was one guy who donated a LARGE amount for KnK's project, like really a lot. I'm guessing he paid between a third and half of the total aim (if not more). The guy was generous, he believed in his fellow fans, he believed that DBZ live-action could be done right.... But he was also a fool. Who on Earth gives thousands of pounds to a studio to produce an action film who's only ever had experience in making wedding videos! What's a shame though is that I think KnK has only hurt hope in live-action, I reckon Robot Underdog might have been able to get far more donations if the Saiyan Saga trailer never happened.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Light of Hope so far though. I'm not going to raise my expectations this time though, just going to enjoy it for what it is. Although I do wish them the best of luck.

PS. I don't know if it has been posted on Kanzenshuu yet. But there's something even worse the Knk's live-action failure in the works. I'm busy atm, though I will find and post the abomination if it hasn't already later...

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Thanks. And yes, we probably could have earned a lot more if K & K hadn't done their version first.

I found out recently that of the approximately $7,000 from the IndieGogo, Robot Underdog only received about $5,000 after fines and taxes.

So to film Episode 1 they put in over $7,500 more of their own money. They're glad to do it, because they love DBZ, but even with that much invested it still wasn't enough to secure the locations they wanted, and they had to skimp on some things.

If we had received more from fans, then the end result would be even better. So we're hoping that after Episode 1 premieres, we'll be able to receive more for Episode 2. That one has an even larger scope and more intense fighting. And Episode 3 is off the charts crazy insane, and twice as long as the others, so we'll need even more for that.

But we're taking it one step at a time.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:40 pm

I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Pretty awesome. I love that they actually went and changed Gohan's gi and made it more like the anime/manga (with no kanji on the front).
The only thing that bothers me (and it's not something that happens just here) is the Kamehameha's hand stance. I mean, why do people do it with the hands reversed (as in "not cupped", check minute 1:08)?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 pm

omegalucas wrote:The only thing that bothers me (and it's not something that happens just here) is the Kamehameha's hand stance. I mean, why do people do it with the hands reversed (as in "not cupped", check minute 1:08)?
Sometimes the hands are conjoined at the base of the palm, while other times the hands are separated.

Example A, B, C

Or did you mean something else?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Looks great. This is one project that deserves a lot of attention. Actually really excited to see Ep 1!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Really Awesome!! It was worth the wait.
C17 keeps his easygoing personality. I love that kid as trunks too :D

By the way, the topic name should be changed to Light of Hope.
DerekPadula wrote: Sometimes the hands are conjoined at the base of the palm, while other times the hands are separated.

Example A, B, C

But that just happened a few times. Most of the times, they put their hands in the same direction, not opposite.
Well, details.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 am

DerekPadula wrote:
omegalucas wrote:The only thing that bothers me (and it's not something that happens just here) is the Kamehameha's hand stance. I mean, why do people do it with the hands reversed (as in "not cupped", check minute 1:08)?
Sometimes the hands are conjoined at the base of the palm, while other times the hands are separated.

Example A, B, C

I meant the palm bases are usually facing each other, while in the trailer, Gohan's hands are reversed, the base of one palm is facing the fingers of the other.
The maximum hand rotation I remember is like 75-80°. In that trailer, it's 180°.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:13 pm

If this goes well, I certainly hope Light of Hope episodes get to be released on DVD/Blu-ray, similar to Mortal Kombat Legacy. It's probably going to be complicated as the franchise has the multiple copyright holders (Shuiesha, FUNimation, FOX, etcs).
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Still reserving judgment on the acting. But in terms of visuals I'm loving everything beyond my little nitpicks.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Just watched the first episode, was pretty good actually. A lot better than I expected and tons better than that Saiyan Saga deal.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Avenged wrote:Just watched the first episode, was pretty good actually. A lot better than I expected and tons better than that Saiyan Saga deal.
Uhhh... where did you watch this?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:29 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
Avenged wrote:Just watched the first episode, was pretty good actually. A lot better than I expected and tons better than that Saiyan Saga deal.
Uhhh... where did you watch this?
Only select people were able to watch it early. It will be live to the public in a few days.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 pm

A "pretty good" from Avenged is like winning a Golden Globe. :thumbup:

Glad you liked it. We're hoping Episode 1 leads to bigger things for Episode 2. Like an actual budget, and the ability to make it like I wrote it, which admittedly, was way beyond most people's means, even with an all star cast and crew. But I have to commend Robot Underdog on everything that they accomplished with Episode 1, especially with the fight scene, which was better than I wrote. I just set up the scenarios and positions of the characters, and aside from a few details of key moments in the fight, said, "Insert Awesome Fight Scene." And then they did. :P

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:45 am

Any update on this? I read somewhere that it's supposed to be released yesterday?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:33 am

It's out. I watched it and I loved it, it's quite possibly the best live-action adaptation I've seen for DBZ.

The acting, although kinda strange at parts, is pretty good and works. The camera work was also good for the most part, there were 1 or 2 times where the top of someone's head wouldn't be on the screen or there might be a bit too much shaky cam but it wasn't anything that detracted too much from the experience.

That soundtrack though, that kicked ass, great job to whoever created it, it was really great to listen to. The special effects were great as well, especially for a fan film. Now, the highlight for me was the action, those were some spectacular action sequences, Gohan vs 17 was so thrilling and whoever choreographed it should be proud, it was so great to watch.

The pacing was great, never a dull moment. The dialogue was nice, wasn't cheesy like I was afraid of it being so I was happy with it.

Overall, Light of Hope kicks ass, I really enjoyed it and I wish to see more, I'll be supporting this until the end.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 am

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:21 am

There were times leading up to the release of Light of Hope where I was telling myself that I shouldn't be this excited because live action just doesn't mesh well with Dragon Ball. All the same, I wanted to give Light of Hope its fair shake.

And wow, that first episode turned out really well. I particularly love the actor chosen for #17. Maybe it's his facial structure, but he's got a wicked grin. The acting wasn't corny at all, and the fighting perfectly toed the line between entertaining and true to series in the way that #17 and #18 are way, way stronger than SS Gohan.

Thank god I was not disappointed I guess is the best way to put it. I will definitely back the second episode as much as I can.