Some simple questions about Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Some simple questions about Dragon Ball GT

Post by Bussani » Fri May 17, 2013 2:00 am

Zenkai wrote:
kei17 wrote:1) Yes.
2) No, and I've seen only five or so episodes seriously.
3) I don't know because I've not seen all yet, but I guess I'll never like it.
Ummm, you can't form an actual opinion and say you strongly dislike it when you've only seen 5 of the 64 episodes.
Maybe that's why he said "I don't know because I've not seen it all yet".
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 am

Saiga wrote:
Zenkai wrote:
True, but not a very informed or comprehensive opinion.
I disagree. Having seen the entire series myself and disliked it, I can see how someone can come to dislike with just 5 episodes.
That's different. If someone saw the first 10 minutes of Citizen Kane and wrote a negative review on it, that would be different than if someone actually watched the whole movie and then wrote a negative review on it. If someone wants to make a good critique and be taken seriously, then it's best to see all or most of a work before bad-mouthing it.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 17, 2013 3:50 am

That's a terrible example because Kei was not posting a review or a critique.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 am

Saiga wrote:That's a terrible example because Kei was not posting a review or a critique.
I was talking in general.

And he said he strongly disliked it even though he's only seen 5 episodes.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:12 am

I watched the first few episodes seriously and didn't enjoy them. I once thought it might be better as the story goes along, so I read some well-written reviews and realized how stupid the plot was and that it wouldn't be any better. I glanced through some more episodes that are a little higher rated or worth watching animation-wise, and that's it.

You can tell how badly Orgy of the Dead sucks by watching it only for a few seconds though you can't critique it by that.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 am

1) Not strongly dislike, I'd say more often than not it frustrates me. There are some brilliant and imaginative ideas in Dragonball GT, but they are seldom executed properly. I'd say that the ratio of good to bad ideas is as high as 10 to 1, but more often than not they are lost underneath a collective slag-heap of bad writing, poor pacing and predictable outcomes. GT teases the fan-boy in me only to let me down seconds later, add to that the fact that quite often, even by Dragonball Z's standards, it doesn't make any sense then you get a good idea as to why GT is so often vilified by fans. Toriyama's lack of hands-on involvement is often cited, but truthfully the quality of the material is GT's biggest crux.

2) I've seen the whole thing four times. Once back in 2001 in the form of awful 15mb .rm format fansubs (who remembers those!?), once watching the Blue Water Dub as broadcast in the UK, once watching the Funimation Dub having purchased the Green Bricks and once earlier this year as part of my total re-watch.

3) On the whole no. The only two stretches I can actually watch without finding the process unbearingly painful are from M2 up until the end of the Bebi arc and the final couple of episodes.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 am

I get the feeling that those of us who have been into the series the longest are somehow more likely to have not watched the entirety of Dragon Ball GT.

That's... weird.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 17, 2013 8:27 am

1) No, I dislike GT, but not with a passionate hate either. For example, I don't get frustrated when I play as GT characters or transformations or through GT events in games, I guess a hardcore hater would be like "tss, I don't even want to play that part/character, that's just an insult to the real work!!". The project was worth a try, it just kinda fell flat.

2) Yes, I've seen all episodes and own the special as a DVD (along with the rest of the movies).

3) No, I don't like GT for the following reasons. Like other people here, I will say that there were definately good concepts, but just poorly handled. The problem is that somehow, the whole thing doesn't feel like something Toriyama could have written at all, it just feels like a fanfic. I'm a very optimistic person who's always ready to welcome new works with open arms, whether the author is involved or not (I was even optimistic about Evolution until it was released). I'm willing to accept a lot of flaws if the experience feels good overall. And GT just felt very weird and unrelated to the story's spirit, if you imagine it all as the continuation of the manga (Tankobon volumes 45, 50, 55...), you feel like it's completely broken off the original storytelling and feels like a complete mess in the same veins as most fanfics.

Fighting also felt truly uninspired except for the very last fight (Goku Jr. VS Vegta Jr.), and I will always remember what my best friend said when we discovered that last fight together: "it's only at the very end that they remembered how dynamic the fights are supposed to be".

Good concepts and ideas, thrown into an ocean of poor designs and some totally messy storytelling that focuses on many irrelevant things that didn't need to be included at all and misses great occasions.
Ultimately, GT doesn't feel like Dragon Ball, and that's why I can't enjoy it and can only consider it a fanfic by the anime staff, a potential continuation but not THE actual story continuation just because it doesn't feel that way. I didn't feel like I was watching my beloved Dragon Ball when I was watching it, just some poorly handled imitation that failed to capture the original's greatness and sense of coherent evolution.

However, to end this on a positive note, I will praise the final part of the show: Goku's final goodbye to everyone (including his visit at Kame House), and the glimpse of Goku Jr. at the Tenkaichi Budokai fighting Vegeta's descendant, and the final moments of the show (with Goku's final appearance with his trademark Nyoi Bo and Kinto-Un and the credits showing the story's big moment with Dan Dan playing) are very emotionnal.
A long story has ended, but a new one begins even though we won't see it... And that's a shame, cause if it had been my call, GT would have rather been that new story about Goku and Vegeta's descendants' adventures 100 years later, a way to imagine a new take on a Dragon Ball story with versions of Goku and Vegeta would have grown up on the same planet as friends and rivals, in a world that has evolved a lot compared to the manga and brings a sense of novelty while still being familiar.

It almost feels as if at the very end, they had finally understood what they should have done as a continuation and showed a tiny glimpse of that as a conclusion.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Isn't that the reason why Toonami started with the later episodes of GT? because it was so boring in the beginning and they thought people wouldn't like it? I also thought it was funny how they tried to play it off with ''The Lost Episodes!'' I always thought(Because I was a stupid kid) ''How could they lose all those episodes of a brand new show? :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQM-GMb_svY
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 pm

1.No
2.Kinda? I've yet to see the "lost" episodes.. But I've seen everything else multiple times.
3.Yes I like GT and accept it as part of the series and my head canon. Flaws and all.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 17, 2013 4:15 pm

1) No
2) yes.
3) yes!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Fri May 17, 2013 10:43 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Isn't that the reason why Toonami started with the later episodes of GT? because it was so boring in the beginning and they thought people wouldn't like it? I also thought it was funny how they tried to play it off with ''The Lost Episodes!'' I always thought(Because I was a stupid kid) ''How could they lose all those episodes of a brand new show? :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQM-GMb_svY
The early episodes of Dragon Ball GT didn't seem boring to me. They actually feel kind of similar to the early episodes of Dragon Ball, but GT had more fighting.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Fri May 17, 2013 10:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I get the feeling that those of us who have been into the series the longest are somehow more likely to have not watched the entirety of Dragon Ball GT.

That's... weird.
Ha!

Well I guess you will eventually get through all of them with your GT review of awesomeness.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 am

VegettoEX wrote:I get the feeling that those of us who have been into the series the longest are somehow more likely to have not watched the entirety of Dragon Ball GT.

That's... weird.
Not really. I can see myself being less receptive to GT if I'd followed the series as it originally aired/was published. I think the divide between authorship would be more obvious and, consciously or not, leave GT more open to critique.

As it stands, it's just always been part of the story for me. It was part of the franchise long before I became a fan. And as such, I think I'm more willing to look past some of its obvious flaws, just as I do some of my less favorite Toriyama-authored bits.

That isn't to say those who don't like GT hold that opinion solely based on the fact that it wasn't written by Toriyama. There are plenty of reasons not to like it. But I do think it's a subconscious factor.

For this thread:

No, yes and yes.
Last edited by Cipher on Sat May 18, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat May 18, 2013 1:25 am

Zenkai wrote:

That's... weird.
Ha!

Well I guess you will eventually get through all of them with your GT review of awesomeness.
Get through them? What is that supposed to mean? I've seen all of GT and I didn't like it =/.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sat May 18, 2013 1:28 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote: Get through them? What is that supposed to mean?
To watch them.
I've seen all of GT and I didn't like it =/.
:(

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat May 18, 2013 1:30 am

Why do you like GT anyway? I like SSJ4 and some of the concepts but I feel the series itself fell flat.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 18, 2013 1:32 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Why do you like GT anyway?
Pastel-colored, stylized nostalgia. Good endgame feelings. The soundtrack.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sat May 18, 2013 1:37 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Why do you like GT anyway? I like SSJ4 and some of the concepts but I feel the series itself fell flat.
It's part of the Dragon Ball story. How could I not like it?

I like the plot, the designs (especially the main villains and SSJ4), the music, the ending, etc.
Last edited by Zenkai on Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Why do you like GT anyway? I like SSJ4 and some of the concepts but I feel the series itself fell flat.
Why do you dislike GT anyway? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like GT for everything that was in it. I don't care if it's flawed. It's kind of hypocritical if you ask me, because DBZ is also flawed.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.