Why do you dislike BoG?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: Why do you dislike BoG?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:02 am

Vice wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Exactly. It makes his whole set up from Raditz to Boo seem worthless in the end as it lead to nothing.
Uh, no. He had the Cell Games.
Whoopdy doo, the whole point of letting Gohan defeat Cell was so he could take up Goku's mantle as Earths protector. The Buu saga turned that around very quickly.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:07 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:When has DBZ ever been about the animation, lets be honest here.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: No Anime show is about the animation, but nice animation certainly adds to the appeal. Especially if it's a blockbuster movie being played on IMAX.
Plenty Japanese animated series' are about the nice animation. That's why the 'sakuga fandom' is so huge and why you individuals learning the distinctive styles of their favorite animators or compiling each month's highest quality animation. Or why guys like Kei and I go back through Dragon Ball episodes and credits trying to learn who did what scene. Dragon Ball and Japanese animation is all about nice animation.

This is a great part of the reason I've been critical of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. From a production standpoint, Toei Animation is treating their flagship franchise with international appeal in a very unsightly manner. First we were given the shoddily produced Dragon Ball Kai. When fans put their money with their mouths were and refused to buy a bad product Toei's response was to produce a new film with (awful) CGI to avoid doing hand-drawn animation and only one or two good animators whose total work amount to maybe a minute or two of good fighting animation. It's disappointing that Toei seems bound and determined to continue to test fans to see just how little effort and money they can get away with spending on the franchise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote: Whoopdy doo, the whole point of letting Gohan defeat Cell was so he could take up Goku's mantle as Earths protector. The Buu saga turned that around very quickly.
Whoopdy doo? He defeated fucking Cell. Name me another character not named Goku who did more.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:10 am

Spend less, save money as they say. I'm still invested despite it's supposedly poor animation.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:12 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Vice wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Exactly. It makes his whole set up from Raditz to Boo seem worthless in the end as it lead to nothing.
Uh, no. He had the Cell Games.
Whoopdy doo, the whole point of letting Gohan defeat Cell was so he could take up Goku's mantle as Earths protector. The Buu saga turned that around very quickly.
Once again TMO is right. Consider the Cell games his protector Bar Mitzvah. The Cell Games represent Gohan finally overcoming his father and taking his father's place as Goku even says he has nothing left to teach Gohan. Gohan was even the most popular character at this time. Then during the Boo saga came in his popularity dwindled.

Him defeating Cell was a set up for Gohan to take over. Gohan taking over is more like if he kept Goku's chair warm while he was gone for 7 years.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:13 am

Vice wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote: Whoopdy doo, the whole point of letting Gohan defeat Cell was so he could take up Goku's mantle as Earths protector. The Buu saga turned that around very quickly.
Whoopdy doo? He defeated fucking Cell. Name me another character not named Goku who did more.
Sigh... it's not about who he defeated it's about the fact that he was knocked down from his rightful role as protector. The Cell games set him up as the new protector of Earth and the Buu saga shat all over that. As if that wasn't bad enough, they set Ultimate Gohan up to be this super badass only to get owned by Buutenks. Talk about a slap to the face.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:20 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Vice wrote:
Sigh... it's not about who he defeated it's about the fact that he was knocked down from his rightful role as protector. The Cell games set him up as the new protector of Earth and the Buu saga shat all over that. As if that wasn't bad enough, they set Ultimate Gohan up to be this super badass only to get owned by Buutenks. Talk about a slap to the face.
I imagine it like this.

Gohan: Hey Mr. Toriyama, whats next after I pulverize Boo?

Toriyama: Oh well, Boo absorbs Gotenks and kicks the crap out of you.

Gohan: uh

Toriyama: Then after Goku comes back you get absorbed and later on saved by Goku

Gohan: But I

Toriyama: Then you no longer have a use for anything.

Gohan: But I was built up this whole time....

Toriyama: Eh I don't feel your suitable anymore to be the protector.

Gohan: But.

Toriyama: Sorry about that, but that's how I feel.

Gohan: Will I at least shine in movies.

Toriyama: Not my decision, but probably no

Gohan: *Groan*

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 am

And he got that. He defeated Cell.
Sigh... it's not about who he defeated it's about the fact that he was knocked down from his rightful role as protector. The Cell games set him up as the new protector of Earth and the Buu saga shat all over that.
I don't care what it's about, the Buu Saga "shat all over that" because Gohan proved just plain unpopular as the main character. Toriyama's not obligated to force more Gohan down our throats if nobody wants that.

No matter how important Gohan is to the story, it's still not his story.
As if that wasn't bad enough, they set Ultimate Gohan up to be this super badass only to get owned by Buutenks.
And? Buutenks was stronger, what was supposed to happen?
Talk about a slap to the face.
Gohan got Cell. Gohan got Super Saiyan 2. Gohan got the Mystic power-up. Gohan got the strongest end of series power by sitting on his ass.

It's not a slap in the face to Gohan at all, why are his fans never satisfied?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:26 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:He is the main character though. Going by what some of you said Movies 9, 10 and 11 must be your favorite of the bunch because Goku isn't the guy who beats the main villain.
He is, actually. Yep, someone couldn't handle the new generation doing stuff, so they had to have Goku hold their hands from the dead.
So in that case Goku beat Cell too then huh? So yeah Goku may have had a helping hand in movies 9 and 10 but he was completely outta the picture in Movie 11 until the last 2 minutes and by then Bio Broly was already defeated.

Seriously though you guys are killing me with this "Goku shouldn't be the Hero all the time" non sense. Dragon Ball is Goku's story everything revolves around him in some way, shape or form. Sure he shared some of the spotlight with his son throughout half of Z but in the end the AUTHOR himself thought it was best to keep Goku around and overall the main character. Its like saying it should've been Hiei who killed Sensui not Yusuke, or it should've been Joey or Kaiba that defeated Marik its just absurd.

Look at the Legacy of Kain game series, Kain was the first protagonist in Blood Omen 1, then they introduced Raziel with Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2 in Defiance they both were playable but Kain came out on top in the end. Why? because it was his story they were telling all along even in the Soul Reaver games, everything that happened revolved around Kain in some way. Its the same case with Dragon Ball, Toriyama introduces new characters gives them shine time but in the end its still all about Goku which is fine because he is the main character.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 am

Gohan could have been the hero of the Buu arc if he actually trained over those 7 years and wasted Dabura's ass.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 am

Vice wrote:Vegeta's never had a bone thrown to him.
I don't see how this is anything but a reason to give him the spotlight for once.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:32 am

I don't understand why people are complaining about Goku saving the day, it was literally the first time in DBZ that he actually did that.

He died against Raditz. Vegeta beat him, then lost to Gohan. Failed to kill Freeza, Trunks ended up with it. Did nothing against the androids. Lost to Cell, Gohan gets another victory. Half-assed against one of the weakest Buus and then lost to Kid Buu, only to come out on top because of the Spirit Bomb.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:35 am

Zephyr wrote:
Vice wrote:Vegeta's never had a bone thrown to him.
I don't see how this is anything but a reason to give him the spotlight for once.
He was the main character on Namek during the Dragon Ball hunt section.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:50 am

Vice wrote:I don't understand why people are complaining about Goku saving the day, it was literally the first time in DBZ that he actually did that.

He died against Raditz. Vegeta beat him, then lost to Gohan. Failed to kill Freeza, Trunks ended up with it. Did nothing against the androids. Lost to Cell, Gohan gets another victory. Half-assed against one of the weakest Buus and then lost to Kid Buu, only to come out on top because of the Spirit Bomb.
He saved earth and his Son from Raditz (Goku moment). He beat Vegeta with help as his Genki-Dama did it Goku and friends while the friends were weak). He beat Freeza to near death and Freeza only survived because he had help from his dad Goku moment). Everyone was useless against the Cyborgs (no moments except Piccolo holding his own). Gohan finally reveals some of the power he has been apart of his character since the beginning and Goku passes on the torch to him (Gohan moment). Goku holds back against one of the weakest Boo's and takes over Gohan's 5 panel moment (Gohan gets the shaft after being given the torch). Goku then wins it with a Genki-Dama even though it would have been much easier to Get Gohan or Gotenks to fight (Forced Goku Moment).

Yeah lots more for Goku.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Vice wrote:I don't understand why people are complaining about Goku saving the day, it was literally the first time in DBZ that he actually did that.

He saved earth and his Son from Raditz. He beat Vegeta with help as his Genki-Dama did it. He still beat Freeza and Freeza only survived because he had help. Everyone was useless against the Cyborgs. Gohan finally reveals some of the power he has been apart of his character since the beginning and Goku passes on the torch to him. Goku holds back against one of the weakest Boo's and takes over Gohan's 5 panel moment. Goku then wins it with a Genki-Dama even though it would have been much easier to Get Gohan or Gotenks to fight.
Um actually Vegeta was beaten by Oozaru Gohan falling on him, not the Genki Dama.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:53 am

Saving the day and finishing off/killing the opponent are two very different things.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:53 am

Kid Buu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

He saved earth and his Son from Raditz. He beat Vegeta with help as his Genki-Dama did it. He still beat Freeza and Freeza only survived because he had help. Everyone was useless against the Cyborgs. Gohan finally reveals some of the power he has been apart of his character since the beginning and Goku passes on the torch to him. Goku holds back against one of the weakest Boo's and takes over Gohan's 5 panel moment. Goku then wins it with a Genki-Dama even though it would have been much easier to Get Gohan or Gotenks to fight.
Um actually Vegeta was beaten by Oozaru Gohan falling on him, not the Genki Dama.
Well the Genki-Dama did all the work. Gohan just finished the job after Vegeta was exhausted.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:55 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Well the Genki-Dama did all the work. Gohan just finished the job.
But Vegeta probably still would have won even with the damage of the Genki Dama, he was in better condition then all of them.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:56 am

Kid Buu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
But Vegeta probably still would have won even with the damage of the Genki Dama, he was in better condition then all of them.
Like I said, Oozaru Gohan finished the job. The Genki Dama drained Vegeta entirely to the point he couldn't move that well.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:59 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Like I said, Oozaru Gohan finished the job. The Genki Dama drained Vegeta entirely to the point he couldn't move that well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyZyY8bRSk8

He seems to be moving pretty well right there.

And if anything Yajirobe weakened him the most, he knocked him out of Oozaru form.