What type/genre of new DB game would you want?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

What type/genre of new DB game would you want?

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 pm

I know Dragon Ball at it's core is about fighting, but I feel like with the cast Dragon Ball has you could go outside the typical fighting game. RPG could be fun if done right. Personally, I would want to play a more silly Dragon Ball game. Like Dragon Ball Sports or something. You get to play (American) Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and Soccer/Football. The rules are bent to fit the characters and you can use Ki attacks, etc. to try and block the opponent. Kinda has a similar build to how Zenkai Battle Royale is but with playing sports. It may sound dumb, but anything that could be fun but bring in the characters we know and love/hate and bring sometthing new to the table that isn't just fighting only. I'm not even the biggest sports fan but sports video games are usually fun and imagning Goku and co. in one makes me laugh but think how fun it could be too.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: What type/genre of new DB game would you want?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 pm

A DB or GT game set up like the old Legacy of Goku games for the 3DS. What Transformation should have been.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Partially in 2D side-scroll platformer story mode at times, 3D action/adventure story mode and then 2D battle fights.

Kind of like this: DB Advanced Adventure > Saint Seiya Sanctuary Battle > DB Budokai 3

This could very well work because it's all developed by Dimps.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 pm

A DBZ game done in the style of Dynasty Warriors can work. The newest Kamen Rider game on the PS3 was tons of fun and I think a DBZ game similar to it can work.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:A DBZ game done in the style of Dynasty Warriors can work. The newest Kamen Rider game on the PS3 was tons of fun and I think a DBZ game similar to it can work.
Another shovelware really? I don't know how people like garbage that has no quality or effort, it's so disappointing.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 am

I have always wanted a 3D Legacy of Goku esque game. So something like this:

Only that it wouldn't be a mini-game, but a full story, with you being able to battle random dinosaurs, bandits on land, flying or underwater. Searching for hidden Dragon Balls around the open world. Actually, what i'm saying reminds me of Dragon Ball Online, but i would want it to have more action with no "one-button" skills like these of MMORPGS.

Add Ultimate Tenkaichi's music composer to give it more awesomeness and adventurous spirit.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Here's a link to something that reminds me of Legacy of Goku in 3D. Z Warrior Chronicles

Also I never thought Ultimate Tenkaichi's score was....meh. I only like 3-4 tracks from it. But that's just me.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Also I never thought Ultimate Tenkaichi's score was....meh. I only like 3-4 tracks from it. But that's just me.[/size]
Compared to the crap soundtrack that Raging Blast 2 and half of RB1 got, UT's was too great.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 pm

I'd love to get a major console RPG for the series, but not a turn-based one - something more like Kingdom Hearts, using an active-battle system. Or even going back to the Legacy of Goku format, yeah.

Beyond that, uhh...I dunno. I really can't think of anything I'd be interested in DB wise that we haven't already had a million times, or it just wouldn't fit.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Beyond that, uhh...I dunno. I really can't think of anything I'd be interested in DB wise that we haven't already had a million times, or it just wouldn't fit.
I can. 3D Card Based RPG Game starting from DB and ending at Omega Shenron's fall. Super Saiya Densetsu style, for PS3/360/U.

Atleast it would be pretty new, compared to "upgraded graphiczz and more characterzz!" yearly. Casuals would still complain that it's not a fighter though =/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Beyond that, uhh...I dunno. I really can't think of anything I'd be interested in DB wise that we haven't already had a million times, or it just wouldn't fit.
I can. 3D Card Based RPG Game starting from DB and ending at Omega Shenron's fall. Super Saiya Densetsu style, for PS3/360/U.
Hmm...I dunno, I've always associated card-based RPGs more with handhelds than I have major consoles, and even then they're pretty hit or miss for me. I loved Legendary Super Warriors for the GBC, but on the flip side, I hate the gameplay system in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

At least it would be something different though, yeah.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Also I never thought Ultimate Tenkaichi's score was....meh. I only like 3-4 tracks from it. But that's just me.[/size]
Compared to the crap soundtrack that Raging Blast 2 and half of RB1 got, UT's was too great.
Didn't Raging Blast 2 use Tenkaichi 2's soundtrack? I like that one.
Hmm...I dunno, I've always associated card-based RPGs more with handhelds than I have major consoles, and even then they're pretty hit or miss for me. I loved Legendary Super Warriors for the GBC, but on the flip side, I hate the gameplay system in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

At least it would be something different though, yeah.
That's what we need. An updated Legendary Super Warriors.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 pm

I personally really despise the fact that the modern DBZ fighting games are 3D. I want an old school 2D plane fighter a la Blazblue with a whole roster of characters featuring a really well put together story mode using new animations. 1080p 60fps as a minimum. I want some really natural transitions from the animated sections into the gameplay.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I've discussed this a million times on other forums and stuff, but I've always been supportive of the idea of an improved Dragonball Z sagas type thing. The idea behind DBZ sagas was solid in my opinion, it was a perfectly viable concept, it's execution was not what it should've been. If they kind of rehashed the idea and formatted it differently with some rpg elements like leveling up or skill trees or something, better than the purchasing you had to do. Now if they were to do something along those lines, utilizing DB, DBZ, some specials/movies, and maybe GT. Using todays graphics as well and a newly designed system of play, I feel it could be good. I realize that's a lot of story to cover, so you could take a Blue Dragon or Xenosaga approach and have it span multiple discs, but you can't utilize the other disks until you beat the prior disks. I don't know. I feel like DB is perfectly doable in the action/adventure and even rpg formats.

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:I have always wanted a 3D Legacy of Goku esque game. So something like this:

Only that it wouldn't be a mini-game, but a full story, with you being able to battle random dinosaurs, bandits on land, flying or underwater. Searching for hidden Dragon Balls around the open world. Actually, what i'm saying reminds me of Dragon Ball Online, but i would want it to have more action with no "one-button" skills like these of MMORPGS.

Add Ultimate Tenkaichi's music composer to give it more awesomeness and adventurous spirit.
This would be excellent too, I agree.