Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:55 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: so it's possible that the Japanese cast recorded the longer international version (if I remember well, Mayumi Tanaka's comments about them dubbing Kai were made well before it was announced that it would air in Japan)
Agreed. Her comment specifically states that the "revival" was intended for the international markets and that there were no plans to air the show in Japan. It stands to reason then that the version they were recording for was this "international version." Unless the plan was made to air the show in Japan partway through the recording of that version and they decided to totally scrap their work on it, there's no reason why there wouldn't be a Japanese version for it.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm

I think I'm beginning to understand this....perhaps.

If this is how I think it is, I think it's absolutely hilarious that Japan is getting the edited version and the rest of the world is getting it uncut, so to speak. :lol: Hopefully they'll get that version on Home Video or something. I wonder what this'll do to do the ED themes, since I heard there were going to be several. Don't know if that's still the case, though. The animation seems to cover the arc as a whole rather than the early stuff.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:44 pm

Am I the first to mention hoping that the "international" version will have better music placement than the Japanese TV version so far?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:01 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: the other one is in 4:3, but this seems a bit less likely to me.
Not really,Cause it was made from the start for the international market which released the first 3 arcs in 4:3 so it's more likley they made the rest of it like that as well

Another reason i think it will be in 4:3 is because funi are releasing Z in blu ray 16:9 so having it be in 4:3 will help differentiate it from Z's blu ray's plus Kai isn't as mainstream as Z so pissing off the fans that this release is made for by having it in 16:9 isn't something i can see them doing
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Presumably, the Home Video release in Japan will be the full version.
I hope not. I want a decent-quality video release of what we're seeing on Japanese TV.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 pm

sintzu wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote: the other one is in 4:3, but this seems a bit less likely to me.
Not really,Cause it was made from the start for the international market which released the first 3 arcs in 4:3 so it's more likley they made the rest of it like that as well
Of all the international markets that received Dragon Ball Kai, only the ones that got it through FUNimation had it in 4:3. Everybody else (Europe, other Asian countries) got it in 16:9, so your argument doesn't hold as much water as you think.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Puto wrote: Of all the international markets that received Dragon Ball Kai, only the ones that got it through FUNimation had it in 4:3. Everybody else (Europe, other Asian countries) got it in 16:9, so your argument doesn't hold as much water as you think.
Thanks for the heads up,but there is still a chance that funi will give us the 4:3 version

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Hujio wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:I think Hujio is onto something here. A number of weeks ago, (after I saw the pacing for the first few episodes were lightning fast, with very little room to breathe between scenes) I contacted Ryuji Kochi San, who is Vice President of Toei Animation Europe.
I asked him if the episode count of 69 was accurate, and he told me the following:
There is a difference between international version and japan market version. internation is 69 eps. For japan is still not it confirm, that is what I know.
Yeah, I independently confirmed that myself tonight thru a friendly anonymous source. The international version will be different than the Japanese version. So, from my end, this will be super fun to keep track of...
I feel so sorry for you guys on here having to keep track of all of this. You do a great job, and I love coming on to Kanzenshuu, it's easily one of the best DB sites there is.

In regards to Japanese tracks being available in the "International Version", the Japanese voice cast would have recorded for the entire 69 episodes, as originally stated by Mayumi Tanaka back in late 2012, it was only scheduled to continue overseas.
But, this would also mean that if FUNimation have, or plan to dub it, they would receive scripts to translate from Japanese to English, meaning they already have the content for whatever Japan decide to show over there, and if they chose to license the Japanese version, all they would have to do theoretically is insert the English VO into the "Japanese Version" episodes (meaning they wouldn't have to record an entirely new dub, assuming they have dubbed it already).

Unless, like some are saying, they had the Japanese cast re-record some of their lines to fit this edit better.

Actually, does this mean anything? Nozawa mentioned in the Nikkan Sports article that with finished animation for Kai being completed, it made it much easier for them to act, so if this is the case, maybe they haven't re-recorded lines?. Who knows.

Wow, this entire thing really is one big mess :wtf:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Kaboom wrote:Am I the first to mention hoping that the "international" version will have better music placement than the Japanese TV version so far?
Hopefully not only better music placement but also the pacing.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:46 pm

I haven't seen them, but I noticed most people here were being harsh on the score for the first few episodes. (I did see the Goku's arrival scene that was linked, and it was, uh, interesting...). But then it suddenly improved, apparently. I haven't seen Movie 14 yet, so I'm not familiar with Sumitomo's work. Could someone describe what it's like in relation to other DB scores? (Kikuchi, Tokunaga, Yamamoto, Faulconer, Johnson, Menza)

Also, about the ED themes. Where did it say there were going to be several in this arc? As I said, the animation covers the entire arc, and the first two arcs (Frieza and Cell) each had their own endings, likewise. It seems strange that they would go through several endings in one arc.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:58 pm

So basically, Toei are trying to set a record for the most fucked-up, convoluted franchise in history, and I think they just succeeded, because I don't know anything that's more bat-shit than Dragon Ball.

I hope it's possible to get the shorter version on DVD, because what I can own on disc is what I care about and 69 episodes sounds like DBZ that just went jogging a few times.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Well guys its official. Toei animation doesn't give a shit about the Dragon Ball series. Why do you think they keep treating the series like shit while other series like Sailor Moon gets new animation by them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:12 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Well guys its official. Toei animation doesn't give a shit about the Dragon Ball series. Why do you think they keep treating the series like shit while other series like Sailor Moon gets new animation by them.
Because they can and want.

It isn't like fans haven't been asking for a complete CD collection of Dragon Ball music which would perhaps be in the $100's but totally worth if it'd be the actual complete collection. As well as more Dragon Boxes but this concerns more FUNimation than Toei though.

There's no point having soundtracks titled "Great Complete Collection" when it's not even complete.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:25 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Well guys its official. Toei animation doesn't give a shit about the Dragon Ball series.
It sells no matter what so as a company why waste the time and money on something that will sell no matter how you handle it ?

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Also, about the ED themes. Where did it say there were going to be several in this arc? As I said, the animation covers the entire arc, and the first two arcs (Frieza and Cell) each had their own endings, likewise. It seems strange that they would go through several endings in one arc.
I believe the original announcement mentioned the first Ending would only last for this cour (11-13 weeks), hence why people are speculating.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Well, this is fucked up. The only point for Kai (especially after the Yamamoto scandal) is to cut filler.
But we get a shittier version with more filler kept in, ruining the purpose of the cut.

Fuck, i really was right when i said Toei (and maybe most japanese companies) treat us foreigners like idiots.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Well guys its official. Toei animation doesn't give a shit about the Dragon Ball series.
It sells no matter what so as a company why waste the time and money on something that will sell no matter how you handle it ?
Lool we have no one to blame but our self's. But still that doesn't give them a reason to treat the series like shit.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:Well, this is fucked up. The only point for Kai (especially after the Yamamoto scandal) is to cut filler.
But we get a shittier version with more filler kept in, ruining the purpose of the cut.

Fuck, i really was right when i said Toei (and maybe most japanese companies) treat us foreigners like idiots.
What good is it for a television show to go extremely fast if the pacing (and thus far editing too) is awful, sloppy, rushed, compressed and distracting from being entertaining? This is what the Great Saiyaman arc felt like.. horribly done.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:43 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:Well, this is fucked up. The only point for Kai (especially after the Yamamoto scandal) is to cut filler.

What good is it for a television show to go extremely fast if the pacing is awful, rushed, compressed and distracting from being entertaining? This is what the Great Saiyaman arc felt like.. horribly done.
69 Episodes still feels too slow.
I hope i'm wrong, and it actually it is edited well and with a nice music placement.

But i feel like we are going to get a barebones work, just because it's not for Japan. Probably a crappy version with the same bad music placement as the first 4 episodes and little to no filler removed.
Just hope i'm wrong, but things are starting to look this way.

Anyway, now there's little point to watch Kai, since we will get a different version.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

What good is it for a television show to go extremely fast if the pacing is awful, rushed, compressed and distracting from being entertaining? This is what the Great Saiyaman arc felt like.. horribly done.
69 Episodes still feels too slow.
I hope i'm wrong, and it actually it is edited well and with a nice music placement.

But i feel like we are going to get a barebones work, just because it's not for Japan. Probably a crappy version with the same bad music placement as the first 4 episodes and little to no filler removed.
Just hope i'm wrong, but things are starting to look this way.

Anyway, now there's little point to watch Kai, since we will get a different version.
If theres still a lot of filler in the international version Kai then I'm just gonna buy the new blu rays season sets for the boo saga and call it a day. Man because of Toeis carelessness its gonna be real hard to defend Kai now