Thoughts on DBZ Movie 5

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Thoughts on DBZ Movie 5

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:39 am

Movie 1-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24404
Movie 2-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24418
Movie 3-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24428
Movie 4-http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=24437

Movie 5- This is my favorite DBZ movie. Cooler is my favorite villain in the franchise, Piccolo shines in this movie (him pretending to be affected by Neize's attack is a favorite of mind), the henchmen are cool, no Genki Dama, the story is decent, Cooler has good motivations, and Salza has a lightsaber. All is good.

Everyone who wasn't Goku or Piccolo was fairly useless though, but the use of Piccolo makes up for a lot with me :P

And of course, one of the single coolest feats in DB history occurs when Cooler flies through Goku's Kamehameha to punch him in the face.

I give this one an A.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts on DBZ Movie 5

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am

Definitely one of the best. Cooler is easily the "coolest" movie villain out of the first 5 movies 8)

The revenge story about family honour works really well and the battle between Goku and Cooler is really good. The part were Goku transforms is truly awesome and I really like the idea that he still can't transform at will at this point. I think this movie might be even better than Dead Zone. Piccolo also has some good action scenes and I liked the throwback to Dragonball with Gohan climbing Korin Tower. And Cooler's final form looks badass.

The only real problem I have with the movie is the final part with SS Goku vs Cooler was way too short with barely any hand-to-hand combat. Although the part where Goku just appears next to Cooler and tanks that punch to the gut is the definition of badass. I just wish they'd made the fight longer. The part with the Supernova is awesome and Cooler's apparent death is pretty brutal and well deserved. I love the irony when he realises he made the same mistake as Fr ieza. I just feel like Goku defeated him way too easily considering Cooler was meant to be much stronger. They actually make it seem like he is only as strong as 50% Frieza in the end.

Still a really good movie overall.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am

I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I thought the henchmen were pretty fun and interesting compared to the previous films where, despite some of their designs being cool, weren't very memorable. Even though they were Ginyu rip offs, they were at least memorable rip offs.

Coola doesn't come off like a carbon copy of Freeza. He's more determined, aggressive and to the point than his sibling. Nakao's performance always seemed more masculine to me compared to his Freeza. He really does seem like someone that would bully and tease the tyrant that is Freeza.

It's been a while since I last saw it so the music and fight scenes are foggy on me at the moment (though I remember the fight between Coola and Kaio-ken Gokuu being pretty well choreographed).

I also think this movie was Piccolo's finest film appearance since kills all three henchmen.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

I wonder, if Toei took Super Shredder as inspiration when they created 5th form of Cooler (Similar cool look, and anti-climactic fast death)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Does each movie really need its own thread? Why not one big thread or recycle a thread after people have said what they wanted about a movie and no one has replied after a few days. If people want a new thread for each movie maybe space them out by a few days. A new one everyday is starting to clutter the first page. That's just my two cents. I guess if the mods don't mind then keep on rockin.
Dragon Ball Famicon/Super Famicom game scans : HERE

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm

The thing is, a big thread would be pretty unorganized with people talking about several different films. Plus it's kind of overwhelming to go into detail about 13 movies all at once.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 pm

AS usual, I'm not really sure where I'd place this movie in my list of favorites, but there's a good chance it's also in the top five. Cooler is just a really 'cool' (no pun intended, honest) movie villain. And as a 'let's copy what the series has been doing' villain, he's at least a little different, in that he's not just a Freeza expy, he's actually connected to him by blood, therefore making it more fitting that they're somewhat similar. It seems like the first time they tried to make one of the movies have any ties to the series at all too, what with the Freeza connection, and the Bardock one too.
Insertclevername wrote:I also think this movie was Piccolo's finest film appearance since kills all three henchmen.
Haha, yeah. I remember the first time I noticed that Piccolo is actually the only one to really kill anyone in this movie.
coola wrote:I wonder, if Toei took Super Shredder as inspiration when they created 5th form of Cooler (Similar cool look, and anti-climactic fast death)
They had to have taken it from Shredder somehow or another, there's just too much similarity in the look. Hell, even the cards from the Score card game, had that form titled 'Cooler, the Shredder' if I recall.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:25 pm

It's a fairly generic movie, but I like Cooler as a villain and the final battle, and the FUNi dub soundtrack is the primary reason why I repeatedly watch it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
coola wrote:I wonder, if Toei took Super Shredder as inspiration when they created 5th form of Cooler (Similar cool look, and anti-climactic fast death)
They had to have taken it from Shredder somehow or another, there's just too much similarity in the look. Hell, even the cards from the Score card game, had that form titled 'Cooler, the Shredder' if I recall.
Maybe, but I think it's also a bit of a Predator inspiration to work along side Freeza's Alien inspiration.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Animation - B. THe colors look great and fits well into the atmosphere of the movie. Nothing more I can say. Just good job from Toei

Plot - B. Nice twist turn here IMO. Most of the time it's the brother-friend of the hero wanting revenge. BNow it's the brother-hater villian wanting revenge. Cooler's Amor Squad was a nice. Made Piccolo get his last spotlight untill Vegeta takes that role. Yajoribe and Karin played a great role in the movie for a short time. Krillin and Krillin. Cooler was well developed something we haven't seen since Movie 1 or Movie 2.

Music - A. Great Music as always. Haven't said this since Movie 2. This goes for both english and original BGM

Fighting - B. One of the best fighting from the movies Piccolo vs Amor Sqaud was great to watch. Piccolo faking to be shocked was the most epic thing ever. Cooler vs Goku was also pretty epic. Cooler tanking Goku's KKx20 Turtle Wave was epic. Goku turning SSJ was cool and I honestly wanted to see Goku with red eyes.

I highly suggest watching this movie if you haven't.

P.S: Who else want to see Goku SSJ with red eyes in this movie.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 pm

First DBZ DVD I ever owned. Of course it was an illegal copy. :roll:

Still, I loved this movie to death and if I were to talk on and on about it, it'd end up exactly like my post in the DBZ Movie 4 thread- except more positive. So I'll make it brief:
- Again, the English dub of this film really defines that early 2000 period for DBZ.
- English and Japanese music for this film, both sensational in their own way.
- The Super Saiyan scenes are absolutely incredible
- In the Japanese version, when Bardock appears at the start, the silence is amazing and it's just Nozawa's voice echoing around the place.
- Did I mention the English dub score? :lol:
- Goku vs. Cooler is a brilliant fight- the underwater sequence is very well done.

Gonna end it there, since it's all just fanboy rambling. :lol:

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:21 pm

The best movie, in my opinion. Coola is my favorite member from Freeza's/Cold's clan And the best villain from all respective movies, in my opinion. Loved Piccolo one shotting the two members from the armored squad, especially reversing that guys attack and burning him alive :P Final form Coola is just bad ass and the super saiyan transformation has an emotional touch to it. Epic and humorous ending with Coola getting shot into the sun and Sauza surviving but ends up getting killed in the end.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:31 pm

One of my favourites and first movie I saw/owned (on VHS, haha).

I love the animation in this movie, would love to see it Dragon Box wise. It's really beautiful. The sunset background when they first meet Cooler. The jungle where Piccolo fights Salsa... The story is so-so 9although it was kinda cool in the opening with Cooler watching Freeza blow up Namek and let Goku go) but the fights are terrific as well.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Honestly, I thought Cooler's spiked head design was inspired by Goku's SSJ hair. Part of the movie's title is called "Mightiest vs Mightiest", so I figure "well hey, the mightiest good guy (SSJ Goku) has upward spiky hair, so in turn the mightiest villain must have some form of upward spikes as well".
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I liked it.
The world's greatest.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Not one of my favorites.

Pros:
*Environments look nice.
*Cooler is a BADASS! Plus, he's well designed and has his own personality. He's not just a Freeza clone.
*The henchmen are okay, and Piccolo dispatching them is pretty cool.

Cons:
*This is a big one- the final battle. It's... bad. Completely anticlimatic and they made Cooler look like a bitch. Also:
*They made Cooler look like a bitch. If the whole point of this movie is to have Freeza's stronger brother fight the Super Saiyan, wouldn't the basic, simple approach be that he must beat the Super Saiyan or at least match him in fair combat, one-upping his brother?
*The fights. None of them are even, and so they're boring.
*It's rather short.
*The non-Gokus don't contribute to defeating the main villain. You can say this is because of the power difference, but that didn't stop Piccolo from helping Goku against final form Freeza.
*Krillin and Gohan don't do anything.

It's roughly tied with Movie 4, for me. Still above the likes of 3, 7, 8, 10, and 14 (haven't seen 2).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Definitely another one of my favourite movies of the DBZ lineup.

My only gripe was that the final fight is too short for my liking. I actually did a short write-up of my preferred ending that I may post someday.

Other than that, I enjoyed everything else. The rock music actually works well for this movie and Andrew Chandler is the perfect Cooler.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:26 am

Honestly? I prefer the second Cooler movie to this one. Movie 5 just seemed like another DBZ movie that was going through the motions. Piccolo's fight was cool, but I can't reminisce on it properly when the main battle is so dull.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Fans seem to dislike this movie when I really like it. The movie is tons of fun and the fight scenes with Coola makes the whole movie worth wild. I really wish the fight between SSj Goku and Coola was not so one sided. His final form is one of my favorite DBZ villain designs and I really like watching the Japanese music score as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:19 pm

I enjoyed the idea of the characters being hunted down while Goku was out of commission. It's not the most inventive or original DBZ film, but I would say showmanship counts for something. That final Super Saiyan scene just oozes cool. Goku is shiny.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki