How open are you with your fandom?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

How open are you with your fandom?

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 am

For whatever reason, do you keep it a secret?

Do you shove it in everyone's faces by wearing DBZ shirts and amazing everyone with random bits of trivia relating to the series?

Or if someone asks whether you like it or not, do you keep it cool and simply say, "yes"?

Personally, I actually kept it as a secret for a bit after a friend told me "Dragon Ball Z's gay" back in year 5. :roll:
About two years later, I began to drop hints either by playing the games with my friends or showing them episodes of Abridged and Alternate Reality Dragon Ball Z. After that, I actually tried to get my close friends into the series by watching it with them and I was more open about it with some of my nerdier mates, in fact, one of them was sort of a casual fan for a while. This is basically how it is now, and I do talk about the series frequently with one of my other friends since he's into superheroes, etc. I don't make any sort of effort to hide it, like I did when I was 9, it just seems silly, but I don't really go all in either because there's still that stigma surrounding it- that it's just another show like Pokemon and Yugioh. There is one friend who I won't share my interest with since he tends to be a bit ignorant and I can't be bothered arguing with him (he tends to dismiss everything he's not interested in). Speaking of arguing though, a guy who I know is heavily into the series (he owns all of the orange bricks) was making fun of Masako Nozawa's Goku during class one time and I was tempted to start a discussion with him, but I instead continued with my "low-key" act. It's funny, I really like to go out there and defend Nozawa's Goku whenever someone mocks it on the internet, because it kind of annoys me, but for some reason I wasn't really annoyed when someone criticized it in person. I guess it was because I could see that they were a fan of the show, they enjoyed it and it was something we had in common, regardless of the version. Anyway, I have a hunch that a couple of my other friends are into the series, at least casually, so I may have to follow up on that. :wink:

Random Story: Last year, I started catching on to the fact that there were a lot of people at school who were aware of the series and even fairly big fans of it too. (I've actually heard a lot of DB-related discussions during my classes, mostly maths. :lol: ) Someone asked me and a couple of others on whether we'd seen Dragon Ball. I tried to keep it cool, but my cheeks ended up giving me away. :oops:
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How open are you with your fandom?

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 am

Considering I own a Goku tshirt and hoodie, I'm open as a book. I really couldent care less if people think DBZ is stupid and so am I for liking it. Doesent effect how I feel for the series so its their problem, not mine.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:13 am

I only discuss DBZ if someone else asks me to or wants to hear about it (outside the forum). I was once asked a question in 8th grade about Oob. Had no problem talking about DBZ then. I don't want to be like the Bronies who shove their shit down peoples throat when no one asked for it. So I only discuss DBZ if people ask me about it. I don't really own shirts but I may wear one if I do manage to get one, the hat I have is too small. At Anime North I discussed a shitload of it before the Horikawa panels and during the screenings of DBZ movies and Kai (thank GodKamikai they knew not to show the old funi dub) and as a group we were riffing the crap out of the episodes and movies we saw. This site helped me become the biggest DBZ nerd at the convention.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:42 am

I hide my true fandom from almost everybody lol. I openly admit I like it, but I think I just create the idea that I just liked it as a child, and that I keep it in my heart.

But in reality, I'm a die hard collector of sorts, with a vast knowledge of the show and its various presentation formats and all that good stuff lol.
El Conejo Malo

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:56 am

Bardo117 wrote:I hide my true fandom from almost everybody lol. I openly admit I like it, but I think I just create the idea that I just liked it as a child, and that I keep it in my heart.

But in reality, I'm a die hard collector of sorts, with a vast knowledge of the show and its various presentation formats and all that good stuff lol.
I'm kinda like that, especially if I overhear people talking about DBZ. I try my best not to correct them, even when it kills me how wrong some people are. :lol:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:I hide my true fandom from almost everybody lol. I openly admit I like it, but I think I just create the idea that I just liked it as a child, and that I keep it in my heart.

I'm kinda like that, especially if I overhear people talking about DBZ. I try my best not to correct them, even when it kills me how wrong some people are. :lol:

This one's very true -.- like those people who insist SS3 Goku is the strongest character in DBZ, I don't bother explaining about Mystic Gohan lol
El Conejo Malo

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:00 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:

I will blast people who get things wrong if they talk about DBZ.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:06 am

I remember a few years back when I was in high school, people would be like 'holy shit have you seen Dragonball AF? it's only in Japan but my uncle lives over there so he recorded it for me' and everybody would believe, but I was just there like 'no dumbass...'
El Conejo Malo

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 am

I'm pretty open. I have T-shirts/keep my DVDs out on the shelf and whatnot. I'm usually the person some of my friends go to if they have DB-related questions.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:20 am

And thats yet another thing! I have my Box Sets tucked away in my closet, but I usually have a girl over, and every once in a while I get that girl who likes looking through my stuff when I'm in the bathroom or something, and they're usually like 'omg you're such a nerd!' or something along those lines lol,
El Conejo Malo

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 am

My friends all know. I'm not one to hide my power level.

If I'm just at work or a random party with acquaintances though I don't just jump into a conversation out of nowhere going "HEY YOU KNOW WHATS AWESOME? GOKU."
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:36 am

Everyone knows. Well, anyone to get to know me that is. It ends up in a discussion somehow. Or, if they are on my facebook friends list, I may reference it (two days ago, I posted a picture of my Rock the Dragon set). Very open indeed. I ended up talking about it openly for a long time at the gym and got people to watch it, either for the first time or again. I made it seem interesting I guess. I was talking about how Goku inspires me to get stronger.... :lol: :lol:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:41 am

Given that I'm on Green Lantern, Power Rangers/Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Podcasts, I think it's fair to say I wear my nerd on every ounce of my mind, body, and soul (I'd do a DBZ Podcast, but I don't think it would compete with the power of Kanzenshuu, lol *and I'd do a Saint Seiya Podcast, but I'm more used to casting with friends, and none of my friends appreciate it...though I suppose I could do a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Podcast, or a Fist of the North Star Podcast...(writes note). Still want to do that Osamu Tezuka podcast, but I have a lot of material to get through before I'm worthy of that job.*).

I don't have any cool shirts sadly, but I do have Cha La Head Cha La (one of the live versions) on my phone from iTunes, and easy access with it to my Full Color DBZ chapters from my WSJ subscription. I wouldn't just randomly bring it up, but if someone expressed interest in it or anime/manga in general, I would
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 am

I mentioned to one of my colleagues I like anime but that's about it. I think some others know I like Dragonball and other such anime.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:49 am

I have a few shirts (wearing one right now, actually) and I've shown pics of my collection online before, but I try not to talk about it too much in real life. I don't want to get somebody started on why they hate DBZ. I get enough of that on the internet.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:35 pm

I don't really wear any merchandise considering work needs me in appropriate attire at all times, and it's just not how dress in the first place, but once you enter my home, my fandom's a dead giveaway, :lol: given that my shelves are filled with every iteration and release of the series (aside from the Japanese Dragon Box and Kanzenban releases, which will soon be remedied once the spare money comes into being), including signed boxes/DVD/Blu-Ray/video game sets, Daizenshuus, and goodies picked up from conventions.

Sometimes, when chatting with people, be it at work on break, school, or with high school friends (you'd be surprised at how little of those even acknowledge Dragon Ball), interest in Dragon Ball may come up. Most of them will be fans of the Toonami broadcasts however, much to my dismay. Basically, I would never really "conceal" my fandom per se, not that I show it or bring it up that much, I just don't hide it when the subject is brought up.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:39 pm

I have a black tee with the Capsule Corp. logo on it, but it's strictly a shirt for the gym. NO OTHER PURPOSE.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:46 pm

I have a shrine of Dragon Ball on the landing in my house. My steam name is set to various attacks/forms (currently Kaioken) and I own at least three shirts.
I have no problems wearing them out - one is just a silhouette and a pretty subtle design and the other is a weathered montage of the characters that could quite easily be seen as some ironic hipster shirt so it's not quite a 'HEY LOOK I LOVE THIS SHOW' kinda deal.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:49 pm

I'd say I'm pretty open about my fandom and fandoms in general. I don't go around wearing shirts from stuff I like everyday (though I only own a few fandom themed shirts anyway, to be fair), but I certainly don't go out of my way to hide it either. If I'm with someone else that even remotely knows what I'm talking about, I'm fine having a discussion about nerdy stuff in public. Who cares what Joe Schmoe thinks as they walk by me. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Depends. In debates in school(ENG fans) or at random places. I don't show it. Only because it's...just not worth it...at ALL.

With friends and online. I'm a anime geek. So yea in a way I'm very open just not with people I think aren't worth it.