Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingofWisdom
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Then why should it air again? At this point, most people know whether they like the series or not. It's been easy enough to find. Anyone who wants to see it should buy the discs.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:00 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Then why should it air again? At this point, most people know whether they like the series or not. It's been easy enough to find. Anyone who wants to see it should buy the discs.
Well, why should Fooly Cooly air again? Why should Naruto air again? Why should Yugioh and Pokemon air again? Anyone who wants to see them should buy those discs too right?
One World. 🌐 🕊

over9000

Post by over9000 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:04 pm

first off i was out of line when i first came to this forum mr. administrator. SECONDLY if you scroll down the recent posts i expreased my agreement with another member. I was called "uneducated" and playing the "victim".. what are you doing about that? You're just mad because I expressed how one-sided and unfair you are as the administrator.. Keep putting marks against me.... Anyone can see that you are unfaoe and just mad becausw I calles you out on it...

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:Then why should it air again? At this point, most people know whether they like the series or not. It's been easy enough to find. Anyone who wants to see it should buy the discs.
Well, why should Fooly Cooly air again? Why should Naruto air again? Why should Yugioh and Pokemon air again? Anyone who wants to see them should buy those discs too right?
None of those shows have been repeated on TV to the extent that DBZ has.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

over9000

Post by over9000 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm so gone MOST of you are Arrogant and Opionated assholes.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:10 pm

over9000 wrote:first off i was out of line when i first came to this forum mr. administrator. SECONDLY if you scroll down the recent posts i expreased my agreement with another member. I was called "uneducated" and playing the "victim".. what are you doing about that? You're just mad because I expressed how one-sided and unfair you are as the administrator.. Keep putting marks against me.... Anyone can see that you are unfaoe and just mad becausw I calles you out on it...
I don't know, man. If anyone can see this oppressive and unfair treatment, why is it that no one is on your side on this? Seems to me that you are just upset at having to follow a very basic set of rules (one of which is to try and use proper grammer, btw).

On topic: I don't see why they would need a new release to market a series that had Dragon Ball Z's popularity. When channels like Nick at Nite do reruns of classic sitcoms, they don't feel the need to crop them to 16:9 and apply all sorts of video filters to them. They just play them as is. Same goes with staples like the Simpsons and King of the Hill. Either the series gets a full, proper remaster (like Friends) or it's presented as it was produced (like any number of classic sitcoms and cartoons). I don't see the need to "update" the series for the sake of a new audience. Trying and failing to hide DBZ's age is a fool's errand that Funimation has undertaken over and over again, and it just seems pointless.
Last edited by Dalesy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:11 pm

over9000 wrote:I'm so gone MOST of you are Arrogant and Opionated assholes.
I smell a member of the youtube fanbase.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:12 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:
None of those shows have been repeated on TV to the extent that DBZ has.
People love DBZ, people want DBZ, I don't see the harm of playing it on TV again. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want Dragon Ball Z on TV again. I understand that it had it's time to shine and all that, but hell, if there's a chance one of my favorite series of all time could run live on TV again once again, i'd watch it.
over9000 wrote:I'm so gone MOST of you are Arrogant and Opionated assholes.
Welcome to the real world kid.
KentalSSJ6 wrote:I smell a member of the youtube fanbase.
It's times like these where I wish we could "like" each other's posts.
One World. 🌐 🕊

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:20 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want Dragon Ball Z on TV again. I understand that it had it's time to shine and all that, but hell, if there's a chance one of my favorite series of all time could run live on TV again once again, i'd watch it.
Because then it's stealing a time slot away from another show that more deserves it. It's like when a massively popular game like Call of Duty gets the best advertising even though everyone's going to buy it.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:23 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote: I understand that it had it's time to shine and all that, but hell, if there's a chance one of my favorite series of all time could run live on TV again once again, i'd watch it.
Because then it's stealing a timeslot that a different show deserves more. It's like when a massively popular game like Call of Duty gets the best advertising even though everyone's going to buy it.
So you're telling me that you'd rather watch reruns of IGPX, a series that's virtually dead on the market today, over reruns of Dragon Ball Z? Might as well replace a dead series with an extremely popular series that's still bringing in new stuff to the market today.
One World. 🌐 🕊

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Yes. At least it's something different.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:27 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote: I understand that it had it's time to shine and all that, but hell, if there's a chance one of my favorite series of all time could run live on TV again once again, i'd watch it.
Because then it's stealing a timeslot that a different show deserves more. It's like when a massively popular game like Call of Duty gets the best advertising even though everyone's going to buy it.
So you're telling me that you'd rather watch reruns of IGPX, a series that's virtually dead on the market today, over reruns of Dragon Ball Z? Might as well replace a dead series with an extremely popular series that's still bringing in new stuff to the market today.
I'm surprised IGPX is still up. I never hear anyone, literally anyone speak of that show.

But, if DBZ was to air on Toonami, id much prefer it be Kai. On Adult Swim it could be aired uncut and that alone would help shut up all the fools who think theres no swearing, blood, or violence.

Now if only we had a way to shut up the people who think the old Funi dub is leagues better than the Kai dub.... :think:
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Here's an example of selective cropping if anyones interested. The blu ray screenshot is from bluray.com
Season 1 blu ray
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/9305/j2ye.jpg
Orange bricks
http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6875/hgmr.png
The frame has been moved down to avoid cutting off Gohan's arm.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Dalesy wrote:On topic: I don't see why they would need a new release to market a series that had Dragon Ball Z's popularity. When channels like Nick at Nite do reruns of classic sitcoms, they don't feel the need to crop them to 16:9 and apply all sorts of video filters to them. They just play them as is. Same goes with staples like the Simpsons and King of the Hill. Either the series gets a full, proper remaster (like Friends) or it's presented as it was produced (like any number of classic sitcoms and cartoons). I don't see the need to "update" the series for the sake of a new audience. Trying and failing to hide DBZ's age is a fool's errand that Funimation has undertaken over and over again, and it just seems pointless.
Well first, DBZ is popular, as far as anime shows go. Beyond that... eh.

Also... the 'presented as it was produced' isn't a universal thing. Plenty of shows/films were/are indeed cropped, filtered, etc. for airing on HDTV.

Knight Rider was cropped (ditto for Quantum Leap and many other shows.)
Kung Fu was cropped and filtered (as I recall.)
Plenty of Disney films have had specific processes done to make them look pristine that drives some people insane.
South Park, you have them going back to the assets and opening the picture up to be widescreen, which, sure it's remastering, but it is changing the framing.

As for Friends... yeah... Friends in widescreen isn't what you want to use to try and point against what Funi is doing (I happen to love Friends in widescreen, but there are plenty of issues with it, some of which they fixed, and plenty which never did get fixed.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:42 pm

The average DBZ fan's only frame of reference would likely be the Orange Bricks, so they'll happily accept the new remaster. FUNimation does this because they can get away with it, and if milking the franchise still pulls in money, they're going to do it.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:45 pm

MarcFBR wrote: Well first, DBZ is popular, as far as anime shows go. Beyond that... eh.
I'd have to disagree. While it certainly isn't fresh in the public memory, I can't think of a single male in my graduating high school class (last year) who didn't love DBZ growing up. Many still watched the show on DVD and watched Toonami for other classic series. It's not like it's going to beat out NCIS, but I would bet that it would be worthwhile to play on Toonami.
MarcFBR wrote: Also... the 'presented as it was produced' isn't a universal thing. Plenty of shows/films were/are indeed cropped, filtered, etc. for airing on HDTV.

Plenty of Disney films have had specific processes done to make them look pristine that drives some people insane.
South Park, you have them going back to the assets and opening the picture up to be widescreen, which, sure it's remastering, but it is changing the framing.
None of those shows are exactly re-run paradise though.
MarcFBR wrote: As for Friends... yeah... Friends in widescreen isn't what you want to use to try and point against what Funi is doing (I happen to love Friends in widescreen, but there are plenty of issues with it, some of which they fixed, and plenty which never did get fixed.)
I'm not speaking to the quality of the remasters done, my point is that when studios approach "updating" other major series, they typically don't feel the need to try and hide the age of the material. They just try to adapt it to a new medium, like South Park and Friends did.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:47 pm

The Level Sets though...those were the perfect, definitive releases. I bet TOEI probably told FUNi to stop releasing them because they're probably planning on releasing them on Bluray someday, and they probably didnt want the Japanese fans importing the FUNi Level Sets because then they'd lose potential buyers.
One World. 🌐 🕊

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Dalesy wrote:
MarcFBR wrote: Well first, DBZ is popular, as far as anime shows go. Beyond that... eh.
I'd have to disagree. While it certainly isn't fresh in the public memory, I can't think of a single male in my graduating high school class (last year) who didn't love DBZ growing up. Many still watched the show on DVD and watched Toonami for other classic series. It's not like it's going to beat out NCIS, but I would bet that it would be worthwhile to play on Toonami.
On Toonami, sure. But Toonami is late night fun. Not really a powerhouse to any degree (showing random reruns of Peter fighting the chicken would probably do better.)
MarcFBR wrote: Also... the 'presented as it was produced' isn't a universal thing. Plenty of shows/films were/are indeed cropped, filtered, etc. for airing on HDTV.

None of those shows are exactly re-run paradise though.
But then, neither is DBZ.
MarcFBR wrote: As for Friends... yeah... Friends in widescreen isn't what you want to use to try and point against what Funi is doing (I happen to love Friends in widescreen, but there are plenty of issues with it, some of which they fixed, and plenty which never did get fixed.)
I'm not speaking to the quality of the remasters done, my point is that when studios approach "updating" other major series, they typically don't feel the need to try and hide the age of the material. They just try to adapt it to a new medium, like South Park and Friends did.
By definition adapting the material IS hiding the age. South Park was produced in 4:3, for an era when TV was done in 4:3, and framed as such. South Park is able to tweak it and do the alterations cleaner purely because they have better source files to work with (and were smarter than many of their contemporaries who work in digital television animation of that era, in that they kept their source files.)

And Friends had to alter shots to make them even viewable in widescreen, since while they were filming with widescreen film stock, it wasn't intended to be viewed as such (see widescreen DVDs of Buffy, and early Angel, when you can see crewmembers and props and other production elements in the picture.) And of course, to save money (since a big part of having the budget to remaster Friends was TV repeat contracts for it in HD) they skipped doing the superior versions of the episodes, and stuck to the cut down versions.

I love the HD version of Friends, but let's not pretend that it hasn't been changed, or that things aren't missing.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Seinfeld is also aired cropped in widescreen on TBS HD and the like.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:Well I for one do hope that Toonami does at least end up showing DBZ using the footage from these Bluray sets. It'd be nice to get the series back on air. I'm doubtful that it'll happen, but heck, stranger things have happened.
It won't happen anytime soon with Kai on CW and possibly still on Nick Toons. DBZ ran it's course on CN in my opinion after 2005.
Dalesy wrote: None of those shows are exactly re-run paradise though.
South Park is more popular then DBZ and a lot of people still like watching the classic South Park episodes on TV. DBZ was a very popular show in the late 90's and early 2000's since it was the show that everyone in my school from the 3rd grade - 5th grade talked about, but DBZ never had a huge mainstream impact in 90's American culture like other kids shows did like Power Rangers or Pokemon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/