Battle of Gods Box Office - $51.2 million

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Battle of Gods Box Office - $48.1 million

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm

I was surprise how pack most theaters had the movie. I was expecting a decent amount of people, but not a whole lot. I guess the people who were like "People won't see it because they downloaded it" are wrong. The guy next to me was like "You seen it already? Did you went to Japan last year?". Most casual DBZ fans (the ones who grew up watching DBZ on TV from 1996 - 2003) don't follow DBZ as close as we do. Some of them I notice didn't know who the other movie villains were like Super #13, Lord Slug and Janemba. I notice a good amount of people in theater like Kai a lot. I guess only the stupid fans on the Internet seem to hate Kai :problem: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 pm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/char ... -05&p=.htm

I don't see it listed. Are they not tracking it?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:46 pm

On top of the movie being an incredibly limited release, each theater that is showing it (at least in my area) has limited the showings to about 2 per day. Also, around here, it's only showing on the 5th and 6th for some reason, not the 7th or 9th. For those reasons, my guess is that it won't crack the top ten or anything like that simply because it's not possible, even if it were to sell out every showing.

The good news is that it sounds like it actually is selling out most of it's showings. I've been checking online and, in my area, every single showing has been sold out. That means that on a per-screen basis, the film is doing very well and that this could potentially open the doors for future Dragon Ball films to be shown on a wider scale.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Two hours after Milkman's post; the movie is at #6 with $1,072,600, according to BOM.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Ah! Indeed it is that wasn't there 5 minutes ago.

$1,072,000 is solid so it did make it in to the top 10 in the dailies afterall. More so than that it has a good theatre average more than any film but Guardians. I imagine the movie will be frontloaded but it should push the movie past $50 million.

More so than that they've finally updated the overseas gross though I think it might be off.

Edit: Infact the entire overseas information page has gone.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Bullza wrote:Ah! Indeed it is that wasn't there 5 minutes ago.

$1,072,000 is solid so it did make it in to the top 10 in the dailies afterall. More so than that it has a good theatre average more than any film but Guardians. I imagine the movie will be frontloaded but it should push the movie past $50 million.

More so than that they've finally updated the overseas gross though I think it might be off.
That is indeed a nice amount of money for one single day and the amount of theaters it was showing at.

Yeah, I doubt the movie will do as good as it did last night during the rest of the next three showing days, but I have a feeling the second best day will be next saturday. Lots of people working on the weekdays will be able to watch it on saturday, so that means more money.
I realize many places won't be showing it after tonight for whatever reason, but being the weekend I still think it should do pretty well too.

Either way I'm happy for the premiere day grossing amount. Hopefully this will show FUNimation that putting the next movie in theaters is worth it.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Battle of Gods Box Office - $49.2 million (#6 in US!)

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:17 pm

According to that it made that much money over 692 theatres and it's supposed to be released in like 800 so it may mean that it hasn't opened in a lot of places yet.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 pm

B wrote:Two hours after Milkman's post; the movie is at #6 with $1,072,600, according to BOM.
I gladly stand corrected! Granted, it is from a Tuesday, but that's still mighty impressive with the very limited screenings. For weekend box office results, I still doubt it will get anywhere near the top ten, but I would love to be proven wrong again.

Very excited to see it tonight!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 pm

6TH is not top ten?

:?:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:6TH is not top ten?

:?:
He said weekend showings.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Still, I'm pretty glad its bringing the MOOLAH for Funimation and Toei~!

Thanks for the correction, though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 pm

Thats excellent! I was expecting in the $300,000 range. Keep it up BoG!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Well there's obviously no way it can be in the Top 10 for this weekend as it's only showing on Saturday.

Don't expect tommorow's gross to be nearly as high today's. Wednesday figures usually drop a good 20-30% and being that DBZ also opened on Tuesday and fans will rush out to see it then it could drop a lot more. I'll hope for at least $700,000 and would be really happy with $800,000.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:08 am

Glad to see it's doing so well! Didn't expect it to surpass $1 million on opening day. It'll be interesting to see what the final gross is.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:11 am

Bullza wrote:Well there's obviously no way it can be in the Top 10 for this weekend as it's only showing on Saturday.

Don't expect tommorow's gross to be nearly as high today's. Wednesday figures usually drop a good 20-30% and being that DBZ also opened on Tuesday and fans will rush out to see it then it could drop a lot more. I'll hope for at least $700,000 and would be really happy with $800,000.
Well my city didn't have a showing on Tuesday. It opened today on Wednesday (it sold out). I think its possible various theaters will have different opening days and different show dates.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 am

What were Evolution's opening weekend pullings? I would love for BoG to beat that.

EDIT: Looks like it made $4,756,488 opening weekend...not an impossible goal, but I dunno. We'll see.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Bullza
Banned

Re: Battle of Gods Box Office - $48.9 million (#6 in US!)

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:28 am

I would expect a final total around $3 million myself. I'm not familiar with a release like this but that seems fairly reasonable, somewhere between $3-3.5 million. I expect a big drop tomorrow, like 35% or so but who knows.

I also had to lower the gross a little so it matched BOM's more accurate figures and correct Japanese gross.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:03 am

I don't want to jump the gun, but I predict that the gross for Wednesday will be just as much as the gross for Tuesday. Keep in mind that most theaters are only showing the movie about 2 or 3 times per day, giving the fans very few chances to see it and almost guaranteeing that every screening be sold out. All screenings on both Tuesday and Wednesday (the only days it seems to be playing here) were sold out in my area, so I don't feel that it's a stretch to say that. But... we'll see.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:28 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:I don't want to jump the gun, but I predict that the gross for Wednesday will be just as much as the gross for Tuesday. Keep in mind that most theaters are only showing the movie about 2 or 3 times per day, giving the fans very few chances to see it and almost guaranteeing that every screening be sold out. All screenings on both Tuesday and Wednesday (the only days it seems to be playing here) were sold out in my area, so I don't feel that it's a stretch to say that. But... we'll see.
Yeah, I dont expect it to be as good as tuesday, but almost as good. Then expect the thursday showing(s) to be the lowest day yet, but picking up again on saturday since it's not only the weekend when most people busy during the week will be able to catch it, but it is also the last day in theaters, so I have high hopes the movie will do good on saturday. Maybe just as good as tuesday, or equal to wednesday.
But I dont see any other day day topping tuesday. That's the day FUNimation advertised as the day to watch Battle of Gods.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 am

I'm hoping that with the modest success that this movie has had that when the next movie comes out they release the movie more effectively so it can be more successful.

They should release the movie in all these other countries within 6 months of the Japanese release as opposed to over a year (16 months with U.S) . They should release the movie in more countries, I'm still surprised this movie never came out in France. China, Germany, Russia etc. Give it more a bigger run in theatres and market it a little more.

If the next movie is bigger, better and more action packed than the last movie and they do all that then I don't see why it couldn't make a run for $100 million.