Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussi

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:54 am

That..is not going to fit on my bookshelf.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:These are looking pretty gorgeous. My only real disappointment is that I doubt we'll get the full series.
Oh, I hope we do. I really, really hope we do.

This looks like the best we'll ever see from Viz, especially after they used the Kanzenban cover art for their 3-in-1s. :| These 'Full Colour Comics' have a lot going for them; they're large, they look easy to read, they have good paper quality (apparently), they seem like they'd look good on a shelf, and it looks like they don't take up a lot of room. As nice as the 'Viz Bigs' are, I find them quite difficult to read, especially when lying down, they're heavy, get damaged easily, and the spine art doesn't look all that nice. And speaking of the spine, I don't trust how it holds the pages.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:17 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:As nice as the 'Viz Bigs' are, I find them quite difficult to read, especially when lying down, they're heavy, get damaged easily, and the spine art doesn't look all that nice. And speaking of the spine, I don't trust how it holds the pages.
This.

I want to buy these, but i'm afraid that they'll stop at the end of the Frieza Arc just like the Japanese sets. I don't want an incomplete set.
Still, I may just cave, buy them, and pray that Viz releases the entire series physically.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:45 am

I'm so glad they didn't go with the font used in the digital version. This release looks amazing! I can't wait to get this in my hands!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:08 pm

These are the best release ever in my opinion, but I'm only interested if they're a complete release. Even if the cover Raditz-Buu, they're incomplete and it's a deal-breaker for me. "DBZ" is not a story, it's approximately three fifths of a story.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Fizzer wrote:These are the best release ever in my opinion, but I'm only interested if they're a complete release. Even if the cover Raditz-Buu, they're incomplete and it's a deal-breaker for me. "DBZ" is not a story, it's approximately three fifths of a story.
That's the trick: We can't get a complete release if these don't sell well enough. Will they cover Raditz-Buu, then go back to DB? Depends on the sales, I imagine.

I certainly hope we get the full manga down the line. But, they just started where Shueisha did, with a physical release of the Saiyan Arc.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:55 pm

"Complete" to me is really how much they've announced to be released. We don't have any news on print editions beyond the Freeza arc, so to me, these are "complete." Dragon Ball Kai is "complete," technically, minus that last arc we're not supposed to know about but do.

If Viz manages not to print all that Japan has, than yeah, that will annoy me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Fizzer wrote:These are the best release ever in my opinion, but I'm only interested if they're a complete release. Even if the cover Raditz-Buu, they're incomplete and it's a deal-breaker for me. "DBZ" is not a story, it's approximately three fifths of a story.
That's the trick: We can't get a complete release if these don't sell well enough. Will they cover Raditz-Buu, then go back to DB? Depends on the sales, I imagine.

I certainly hope we get the full manga down the line. But, they just started where Shueisha did, with a physical release of the Saiyan Arc.
That's basically why I caved and pre-ordered the first volume. Can't really expect them to fix Mr. Satan if they don't get the sales to even go that far into it.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:19 am

penguintruth wrote:If it's going to be the same translation, I don't know if I'll be picking it up.
I feel the same way. From what I've seen, the translation is exactly the same as it's always been. Roshi still says he "would have been okay with a nice big ki-" as opposed to feeling Bulma's breasts, Piccolo still talks in the same odd manner when meeting Raditz, and Makankosappo is still called LIGHT OF DEATH. (I'm basing this on the pictures posted a few posts back and the preview that is up on Amazon.)

So, while it does look like a mighty fine release, the old censored translation is really going to hold me back from this one. And if Popo's lips are censored, then forget it.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:And if Popo's lips are censored, then forget it.
I'm afraid they are.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 am

I know that censoring is never good, but are Mr.Popo's lips and an old translation enough to be the reason why someone doesn't buy a release?
I mean, considering how releases work, do you really expect a new translation anytime soon and a visually uncut version?
I'm totally against censoring in anime and manga, but I think that we fans are too nitpicky sometimes.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:43 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I know that censoring is never good, but are Mr.Popo's lips and an old translation enough to be the reason why someone doesn't buy a release?
I mean, considering how releases work, do you really expect a new translation anytime soon and a visually uncut version?
I'm totally against censoring in anime and manga, but I think that we fans are too nitpicky sometimes.
I agree. The chance of a new translation and the uncensoring of certain things that have always been censored in every release I've ever seen were slim, but that doesn't stop this from being the best quality release that we have received so far. Popo's lips never bothered me. Him not having big lips doesn't change the way I think about the character in any way. The translation errors are a bit more troubling, but at this point my brain automatically inserts the correct names and such. Whenever I see the H-word I instinctively read it as Mr. Satan. Same with Majin instead of Djinn and Vegetto in place of Vegerot. Lastly, while Piccolo's dialogue is definitely strange, especially after having just read an entire arc with him speaking normally, I'm pretty sure that it only lasts for a short time before he's translated correctly again.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:20 am

The quality of this release is WAAAYYY more important to me than a slightly better translation (since the existing translation is already good) and the original Mr. Popo's lips and whatnot.

In fact, if there was a totally uncensored release with a better translation out there in the normal format and this release, I would no doubt prefer this release. Its quality and the colors are simply way more important and a much bigger selling point than the minor changes of the uncensored release with a better translation.

Of course, I would prefer that this release was uncensored and had an even better translation, that would make the release perfect, but those are really minor problems. Fans get upset by them only because of the principle, not because the existing censorship and translation are actual important problems in the release capable of disrupting the manga.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 pm

I can live if Popo's lips are the only things edited; especially since this is the first time ever they've never screwed with the sound effects, which to me are a part of the art itself.

Give me my tits and my dicks and my guns.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:23 pm

B wrote:I can live if Popo's lips are the only things edited; especially since this is the first time ever they've never screwed with the sound effects, which to me are a part of the art itself.

You'll be happy to know that the dicks, at least, are quite present.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:26 pm

B wrote:I can live if Popo's lips are the only things edited; especially since this is the first time ever they've never screwed with the sound effects, which to me are a part of the art itself.

Really? You have a problem with the sound effects being translated? Their purpose is to tell the reader what the things sound like... You might as well argue that the Japanese text is also part of the art.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:31 pm

rereboy wrote: Really? You have a problem with the sound effects being translated? Their purpose is to tell the reader what the things sound like... You might as well argue that the Japanese text is also part of the art.
I don't have any problem with them translating the sound effects, but I have to agree with B that I would prefer them left untranslated. One nice thing Viz has done in the Full Color is to include a glossary at the end that tells you what each of the sound effects is after translation with page and panel numbers.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:33 pm

rereboy wrote:Really? You have a problem with the sound effects being translated? Their purpose is to tell the reader what the things sound like... You might as well argue that the Japanese text is also part of the art.
It may sound like blasphemy, but I prefer when the sound effects are redone. I own the Kanzenban, with has them subtitled, but I prefer earlier releases which translated them. Having to read a little subtitle in a corner (or an note which translates Japanese text) gets me off the story I'm inmersed in.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
I don't have any problem with them translating the sound effects, but I have to agree with B that I would prefer them left untranslated. One nice thing Viz has done in the Full Color is to include a glossary at the end that tells you what each of the sound effects is after translation with page and panel numbers.
No offense, but that sucks. We are meant to be able to understand what the sound effects are transmitting to us and honestly no one is going to bother to look at the end of the volume every time a sound effect pops up to see what it means. I know because I have the new volumes of Evangelion where they did the same thing. Do you think I bothered to look at the glossary every time a sound effect appeared? In practice, its basically like they didn't translate it because I didn't get what the sound effects were trying to transmit because there's no translation on the corresponding page it would be too much of a pain to check the glossary every single time.

And all that for what? For the sake of unaltered art? Sound effects are text. When a manga is translated to another language the text is altered to the corresponding language. How is that altering its art?

There's a thing called being overzealous, and criticizing the translation of the sound effects right on the corresponding page qualifies, IMO.
UltimateHammerBro wrote: It may sound like blasphemy, but I prefer when the sound effects are redone. I own the Kanzenban, with has them subtitled, but I prefer earlier releases which translated them. Having to read a little subtitle in a corner (or an note which translates Japanese text) gets me off the story I'm inmersed in.
Exactly. And that solution even has them on the same page! Imagine if you had to check the glossary at the end of the volume for every single one of them!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm

rereboy wrote:There's a thing called being overzealous, and criticizing the translation of the sound effects right on the corresponding page qualifies, IMO.
I don't agree. The argument of keeping the artwork unedited definitely applies here. The artwork does indeed have to be redrawn when replacing the sound effects, albeit slightly.

I get both sides of the argument, but I'll admit I lean more towards the side that prefers keeping everything unedited. It's one reason why I'm so excited for this release. I prefer having the sound effects translated in-between panels over the use of a glossary, though. Really, in this age of digital purchases, there's no reason Viz can't offer both a translated and un-translated version on their site for purchase.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs