Dragon Ball Kai: the true remake is possible to happen?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Kai

Dragon Ball Kai: the true remake is possible to happen?

Post by Son Kai » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04 pm

So guys, I've been thinking, I did not see many chances to have a "remake of the remake" example, there is a remake like what is having hunterxhunter, with redone graphics, to leave like what was the opening of the KAI is somewhat impossible for this to happen right? Besides giving a lot of confusion, it would be strange to have "2 Dragon Ball Kai's"
What do you think?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Kai: the true remake is possible to happen?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Painting over old footage isn't going to be what would make a remake good. You can't improve the series just by drawing over what is already there.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 am

The backgrounds would stick out like a sore thumb if they did something like this... it would look terrible.
They need to reanimate everything from scratch, and judging from how BoG looks, meh i think i prefer the old animation.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 am

Fuck Dragon Ball Z. If they want to make a new series, they should make something new. We've had so far a manga, two anime, and dozens of games, saying the same freaking story over and over and over again. I love it, but I'm not interested to see any other adaptations of it. We had more than enough so far.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Fuck Dragon Ball Z. If they want to make a new series, they should make something new. We've had so far a manga, two anime, and dozens of games, saying the same freaking story over and over and over again. I love it, but I'm not interested to see any other adaptations of it. We had more than enough so far.
I'd rather have a GT Kai. To fix all the plotholes, reanimate everything, make fights better and just make a better product overall.
So we could have finally have an ending to the series that isn't hated by everyone.

Goku should stay an adult, the black star dragon ball saga should be shortened or removed altogether and they should give Goten, Gohan and Trunks their End of Z look. (Whoever made GT Gohan needs to be fired... ugh...)

Also screw it give us original Dragonball Kai too so we can have the whole manga animated in HD without stinking fillers.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I'd rather have a GT Kai. To fix all the plotholes, reanimate everything, make fights better and just make a better product overall.
So we could have finally have an ending to the series that isn't hated by everyone.

Goku should stay an adult, the black star dragon ball saga should be shortened or removed altogether and they should give Goten, Gohan and Trunks their End of Z look. (Whoever made GT Gohan needs to be fired... ugh...)

Also screw it give us original Dragonball Kai too so we can have the whole manga animated in HD without stinking fillers.
Don't remake GT either, it may turn out worse. Basically, they should stop adapting old stuff in general, and focus on new stuff.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:I'd rather have a GT Kai. To fix all the plotholes, reanimate everything, make fights better and just make a better product overall.

Don't remake GT either, it may turn out worse. Basically, they should stop adapting old stuff in general, and focus on new stuff.
Worse? I don't know, that would be quite the feat honestly. :lol:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 am

Flame Dragon wrote:Worse? I don't know, that would be quite the feat honestly. :lol:
GT isn't that horrible IMO.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Son Kai wrote: Image
Goku and Raditz in the bottom shot look like completely different people to the original shot, their clothes, their hair, even their faces...

Son Kai

Post by Son Kai » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Painting over old footage isn't going to be what would make a remake good. You can't improve the series just by drawing over what is already there.
I think you have misunderstood the picture was just to serve as a reference when I said remake, would be to stay in the style of the opening of KAI understand?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Son Kai wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Painting over old footage isn't going to be what would make a remake good. You can't improve the series just by drawing over what is already there.
I think you have misunderstood the picture was just to serve as a reference when I said remake, would be to stay in the style of the opening of KAI understand?
I doubt we get a remake. More like remastered. Its possible but not going to happen. Toei is to lazy and the actors aren't getting younger.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Well I like it, I always enjoyed the bright colored paintings of characters, and the backgrounds that look hand painted. Much like Mike Judge style, with earlier Beavis and BUtt-head and King of the Hill, before they went HD. I'd watch Kai like that.

Son Kai

Post by Son Kai » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Well I like it, I always enjoyed the bright colored paintings of characters, and the backgrounds that look hand painted. Much like Mike Judge style, with earlier Beavis and BUtt-head and King of the Hill, before they went HD. I'd watch Kai like that.
One example of this is the remake of the classic anime, HunterXHunter!
My dream is to have a remake of Dragon Ball Kai, from the classic to the Cell saga, or Boo, with traces of opening it ... And if it were possible, let this same name "Dragon Ball Kai" I really enjoyed this name xD

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Son Kai wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:Well I like it, I always enjoyed the bright colored paintings of characters, and the backgrounds that look hand painted. Much like Mike Judge style, with earlier Beavis and BUtt-head and King of the Hill, before they went HD. I'd watch Kai like that.
One example of this is the remake of the classic anime, HunterXHunter!
My dream is to have a remake of Dragon Ball Kai, from the classic to the Cell saga, or Boo, with traces of opening it ... And if it were possible, let this same name "Dragon Ball Kai" I really enjoyed this name xD
Hunter x Hunter 2011 is reanimated. Kai is no filler using the SAME animation . You can remake Z but not Kai.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:40 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't remake GT either, it may turn out worse. Basically, they should stop adapting old stuff in general, and focus on new stuff.
I agree. I think Kai was not so hot in Japan because it was nothing new. I've been a DBZ fan for 13 years and seeing the same story over & over again gets old. I think a new series would likely be a reboot with a new cast of characters with Goku being the supporting cast of the show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't remake GT either, it may turn out worse. Basically, they should stop adapting old stuff in general, and focus on new stuff.
I agree. I think Kai was not so hot in Japan because it was nothing new. I've been a DBZ fan for 13 years and seeing the same story over & over again gets old. I think a new series would likely be a reboot with a new cast of characters with Goku being the supporting cast of the show.
Yea...I'll honestly would love a Heroes anime series. Just for a different story than the norm of

Goku get taken out
Everyone panic
Support character does their spotlight
Goku get or going to get big power
Goku save the day

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:29 am

I really despise the animation we saw in Goku and his Friends Return, Battle of Gods, Eradicate the Saiya-Jinn Remake, Episode of Bardock, and even the reanimated scenes of Kai.

If they were to refilm the entire series, the animation should come from movies 1-12, because that's when DBZ looked fully proportionately and professionally done.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:36 am

i'mfuckingevil wrote:I really despise the animation we saw in Goku and his Friends Return, Battle of Gods, Eradicate the Saiya-Jinn Remake, Episode of Bardock, and even the reanimated scenes of Kai.

If they were to refilm the entire series, the animation should come from movies 1-12, because that's when DBZ looked fully proportionately and professionally done.
Once again I am at a loss in telling if people are talking about digital animation or specific bad shots(which fully exist in the cel-animated TV series).
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:41 am

It definitely is possibe, most likely will never happen cause the people at Toei are cheap bastards.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 am

B wrote: Once again I am at a loss in telling if people are talking about digital animation or specific bad shots(which fully exist in the cel-animated TV series).
A lot of individuals seem to confuse the issue they have with modern Dragon Ball animation. You are right, the digital mastering has nothing to do with it. The problem is with the character designs and the animation supervisor's resistance to allowing deviation from them. I wonder if in that respect Nakatsuru and Maeda rubbed off on Yamamuro. :| Battle of Gods had Shida Naotoshi's most recent masterpiece, so it's not like it was all that bad. Well, barring Hosoda's otherwise unimpressive directing and the multiple bad animators who worked on the film. And the CG. ~_~
She/Her
The coolest girl you know