What's with Kamesennin's nose bleeds?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

What's with Kamesennin's nose bleeds?

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:45 am

Is there some kind of cultural reason as to why Muten Roshi starts spewing blood from his nose every time he gets a glimpse at nudity? I'm surprised I haven't asked this sooner because I thought this was actually normal as a kid. But, seriously, it's really bizarre.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Re: What's with Kamesennin's nose bleeds?

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 am

Well when men get "excited" an increase of blood flows to a certain part of their body...but instead of showing that they just have the blood spew out of their nose.
One World. 🌐 🕊

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 am

Standard Japanese trope. You'll also see lots of sneezing when another character is talking about someone who's not there (a good example being Goku sneezing while flying his way toward Kaio's for the first time); our equivalent would be the phrase "ears are ringing" when someone's talking about you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 am

It's a Japanese cultural thing that is implemented into a lot of anime and manga. Nosebleeds are associated with arousment or sexual excitement in Japanese folk belief.
Last edited by Blade on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 am

Hm, this is kind of an uneducated hypothesis, but my guess is that it is meant to demonstrate the blood rushing due to arousal... It would just be inappropriate for it be shown in the form of a hard-on, so we get nose bleeds instead. I don't know, can't see how else that could make any sense. It's actually common in (modern-day?) anime.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 pm

It's pretty common in manga and anime, like the snot bubble when someone is sleeping.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Is there some kind of cultural reason as to why Muten Roshi starts spewing blood from his nose every time he gets a glimpse at nudity? I'm surprised I haven't asked this sooner because I thought this was actually normal as a kid. But, seriously, it's really bizarre.
It's a visual shorthand for sexual excitement. It's used with both men and women, though more common with men, as it serves as a convenient euphemism for an erection.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 pm

There is also the large sweat drop to show embarassment.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 pm

A friend of mine once suggested that this happens because Muten Roshi is old, therefore when he has such nosebleeds, it is actually a stroke, thus showing Toriyama's ''genius'' when coming up with things like this. :lol:

I told him that he was probably incorrect, though. :lol:

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:24 pm

mAcChaos wrote:There is also the large sweat drop to show embarassment.
This is great, we should just fill this thread with Japanese anime tropes throughout the DB and DBZ animated series. They really remind me that I'm watching a product from outside my country of origin and I do enjoy most of the tropes since most were created for comedic effect.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Then we should include the belly rumbling whenever Goku is hungry, as this is a staple in many other animes as well.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:There is also the large sweat drop to show embarassment.
This is great, we should just fill this thread with Japanese anime tropes throughout the DB and DBZ animated series. They really remind me that I'm watching a product from outside my country of origin and I do enjoy most of the tropes since most were created for comedic effect.
There's also that weird thing they do to taunt people, where they pull down one eyelid and stick their tongue out.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 pm

A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Standard Japanese trope. You'll also see lots of sneezing when another character is talking about someone who's not there (a good example being Goku sneezing while flying his way toward Kaio's for the first time); our equivalent would be the phrase "ears are ringing" when someone's talking about you.
Haha Dude I've heard that before haha :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:17 am

Standard Japanese trope. You'll also see lots of sneezing when another character is talking about someone who's not there (a good example being Goku sneezing while flying his way toward Kaio's for the first time); our equivalent would be the phrase "ears are ringing" when someone's talking about you.
I always thought it was supposed to be ears itching when someone was talking about you. That's what I've heard people say before, anyway.

And of course, when I was told that as a little kid I went on to expand it out into goofy versions for the other senses, like "your nose itches when someone's smelling you." XD

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:53 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:Is there some kind of cultural reason as to why Muten Roshi starts spewing blood from his nose every time he gets a glimpse at nudity? I'm surprised I haven't asked this sooner because I thought this was actually normal as a kid. But, seriously, it's really bizarre.
It's a visual shorthand for sexual excitement. It's used with both men and women, though more common with men, as it serves as a convenient euphemism for an erection.
Other shows have ladies having nosebleeds? Only one I've seen was on Sekirei, but didn't know others had women nosebleeding.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 am

Super Sonic wrote:Other shows have ladies having nosebleeds? Only one I've seen was on Sekirei, but didn't know others had women nosebleeding.
Quite a few, despite it being much more common with male characters. Minako/Sailor V/Sailor Venus has had a couple in both Sailor Moon and the Sailor V manga, for example. Although this example was certainly less explosive than most of Kame'sennin's...
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 am

garnetjester wrote:Then we should include the belly rumbling whenever Goku is hungry, as this is a staple in many other animes as well.
That's a western trope too, however. I think that one's pretty universal.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:17 am

And is falling on their heads like a facepalm or something?
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 am

Showing the pinky finger indicates that you/another person is in a relationship/lovers ect.
Intertwining pinky fingers means that you are making a promise.

Those are the specific things I have noticed.
DBZ Mick wrote:And is falling on their heads like a facepalm or something?
That's how I have interpreted it, like a Japanese version of "d'oh!".