How would you design an English Blu-ray Dragon Box release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

How would you design an English Blu-ray Dragon Box release?

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Doing a fun youtube contest thought i would post about it here.

Rules are in video

Design an English Box Set Release for Dragon Box Blu Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH8RxOR_ ... e=youtu.be

Feel Free to post Images under this Topic :D

Ajay

Re: How would you design a English Blu Ray Dragon Box Releas

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Any size specifications? Resolution/DPI etc?

I guess it doesn't really matter since it's just a concept but thought I'd ask anyway.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Why would there be an English Dragon Box BD release if there isn't even a Japanese Dragon Box BD?

If TOEI made it happen then I suppose the design would look similar with some modern aspects added to it, and I'd hope they don't use those ugly Blu-ray blue fat cases that companies like Manga UK do. This just doesn't look good at all for Blu-rays, imo, perhaps if they included slipcovers with it it'd look actually decent (but nope they're too poor to do such thing).

Here's some custom covers (for the Japanese Dragon Boxes) done by a user of a different forum:

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Quick question, Does it have to be a video, or can we PM you photos?

Also, I want to be enter the contest but I'll be in Japan during that time. Does that mean I cannot enter?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 pm

What would the point of a Blu-Ray Dragon Box release be?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm

penguintruth wrote:What would the point of a Blu-Ray Dragon Box release be?
takes up less space, more episodes per disc, better sound and picture
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:28 pm

ABED wrote:
Better picture? Probably.

Better audio? Not unless TOEI has access to the Japanese broadcast audio or accepts from fans who have it and are willing to share with them.

A Blu-ray is 50GB large (there's also the BD25) so about 40 episodes might fit without harming the quality.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
ABED wrote:
Better picture? Probably.

Better audio? Not unless TOEI has access to the Japanese broadcast audio or accepts from fans who have it and are willing to share with them.

A Blu-ray is 50GB large (there's also the BD25) so about 40 episodes might fit without harming the quality.
How many episodes per disc without harming the quality?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Think it was just for fun, though some people backed up there Dboxes on bluray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Better audio? Not unless TOEI has access to the Japanese broadcast audio or accepts from fans who have it and are willing to share with them.
Well, Blu-ray does boast uncompressed audio, does it not? So even if the source was the same, it would still benefit from that, right?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Jeez, you're a miserable bunch today. It's a fun little art competition not a serious suggestion or any implication of a future release.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:57 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, Blu-ray does boast uncompressed audio, does it not? So even if the source was the same, it would still benefit from that, right?
It would be an improvement an improvement but the audio quality overall would be muffled. FUNimation tried upgrading the Japanese audio that they have although it sounded nowhere near as good as the Broadcast audio.

FUNimation could buy the LDs and use that source for a future re-release of the films, but I suppose TOEI would need to give permission. :-/
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Jeez, you're a miserable bunch today. It's a fun little art competition not a serious suggestion or any implication of a future release.
You're right. The dude's going to be doing a give away either for Full Colour Manga #2 or DBZ Season 3 BD, so good luck for those that have talent for this.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: FUNimation could buy the LDs and use that source for a future re-release of the films, but I suppose TOEI would need to give permission. :-/
Well, Toei obviously couldn't tell the difference between magnetic and optical audio the first time around. Funimation could probably slip the better movie audio in, without them noticing.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Anything besides that eyesore yellow or the orange on the orange bricks. If I have time I'll try and come up with something myself.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 am

Size Resolution does not really matter and as for eledoremassis02 the entry period starts now so it doesn't matter if you are out of country when the top 5 begins because anyone can and will vote on your video by liking the video. If you have the most likes when the voting period ends April 30th than you win the contest. Please keep in mind my rules for eligibility though. I will be posting another video that explains everything in detail soon. Uploading right now :/

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:56 am

http://afewgunsandalittlebitofcharisma. ... ay-designs

Did these a while ago as I loath the current bluray covers, the idea was warriors need Armour, so the slip covers represent each character Armour.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxX9zksrNM Contest Rules btw

Valentine those are sweet. You should definitely take part in my contest. You clearly are very creative.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:12 am

Thank you very much, however I was met with a lot of harsh criticism on Funi's FB page by "hardcore DBZ fans" :lol:

I live in Australia but I might take part in this I only got one commission to do this week. Full colour comic sounds dandy....

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:59 am

Valentine wrote:http://afewgunsandalittlebitofcharisma. ... ay-designs

Did these a while ago as I loath the current bluray covers, the idea was warriors need Armour, so the slip covers represent each character Armour.
Not to be a downer but that's very close to the Orange Bricks / Level design art plus just using a simple background or an armour for a cover isn't that great of an idea, imo. It looks OK though.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 am

ABED wrote:
Better picture? Arguable. You'd be replacing MPEG-2 with the superior H.264 codec, yes, but the Dragon Box doesn't really have much in the way of compression artifacts, so any improvement would be absolutely minimal. You wouldn't get an improvement in resolution, because the masters are digital 480p (no, upscaling doesn't improve video quality in any way). Better sound? Very arguable; the masters sound terrible and the compression used makes barely any audible difference. Less space? Maybe, but since the footage'd be upscaled to 1080, it's not really that much of a space saver. In the end, there's no real logical reason to put those 480p masters on a Blu-ray.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.