Is it a secret that the Cell Games took place in March?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Is it a secret that the Cell Games took place in March?

Post by WhatTheDarn » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:20 am

In the manga (well, the Viz translation at least), when the Cell Games roll around, the narrator says something to the effect of "And so, on M----(whatever date)..." What's with the dashes? I've seen this in Yu Yu Hakusho as well, regarding school names.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:43 am

Actually I believe it started at noon on May the 12th 767 AD (that's what I think the Daizenshuu #7 timeline states). I'm pretty sure that's what they said in the manga too.

EDIT: I just checked my manga translation (which is not Viz) and indeed it does say M as well. Not really sure why they did that. I don't think it was intended to be a secret, but probably having something to do with the way the Japanese write it. That'd be my guess anyway.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:35 pm

The “M” is in the original Japanese as well. There is just a capital English letter M with furigana indicating that it should be read simply as “M” (well, “Emu” anyway). I don’t know why they it’s like that, though.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:56 pm

The French Manga took it all the way and said May. It's stated that Satan just won budoukai and that always takes place on May 7th.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:25 pm

The Kanzenban changed it to May 26th (the Cell Game's date, that is).

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:29 am

Wow, I really messed up. This is what happens when you try to take a guess at what Japanese says without actually using much effort. It turns out the Daizenshuu timeline doesn't say May 12, but actually May 26. May 12 was the date for when they destroyed the Cell that was still in Gero's lab. And the manga actually does say the 17 of "M" (it was when I checked this that I realized I had messed up reading the Daizenshuu since I had different dates for the manga (17), the Daizenshuu (12 but not really), and the Kanzenban (26)). But yeah, the 17 was apparently a mistake in the original manga, so the Kanzenban corrected this. Yay. Again, I apologize for my earlier misinformation due to my laziness.

You know, it'd be nice if Viz decides to give us the new Kanzenban ending to the manga whenever they release the final volume...