Is Yamcha's Death Iconic?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Is Yamcha's Death Iconic?

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm

I see his death posture parodied quite a lot in anime. Is his death quite a famous one for an anime/manga series?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Yamcha's Death Iconic?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:02 pm

I didnt know it was this popular.
In gintama, they parodied it too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 pm

I think, at least for me, he died is a rather realistic pose. It really stuck out from the rest I think.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:36 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I think, at least for me, he died is a rather realistic pose. It really stuck out from the rest I think.
That's actually very true. I never really put much thought into his death in the Saiyan arc, but it is rather tragic (though I guess all of them are in a way).
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm

More like memetic. That's why the "Yamcha pose" is constantly mocked in video games.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:07 pm

DBZ Video Games or Video Games in general?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Dragon Ball games.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Apparently there's a new anime crossover game in Japan and if you lose in this game, you get this death pose.

superkakarrot2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superkakarrot2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:10 pm

In Dragon Ball Origins 2 Yamcha does that pose when defeated. It's so iconic pre-DBZ set games mimic it.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:25 pm

It was the only death in the series that didn't fit to me. Yamcha in DragonBall was cold and calculating, and when we reached the Saiyan Arc in Z, it seems like he's this loose frat student that's so full of himself, and can barely forsee that turning your back on the opponent (One of the first rules in any martial arts practice) is never a good idea. Maybe his death was to teach kids not to turn their backs on the aggressor?

I don't know, but I feel this character had way more potential. Though, the way he was laying there, on the ground, it spoke to me, I felt so bad, I think I even cried when I first saw him like this.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 pm

It seems Toriyama had no idea what to do with Yamcha and Tenshinhan here; Toriyama basically just sacked them out of convenience.

Honestly I wouldn't have minded if Tenshinhan killed Nappa instead of a "Goku comes at the last second to save the day" that we see numerous time in the series. Once Kuririn/Piccolo jump Nappa to stop his assault on Tenshinhan, just have Tenshinhan stay unconscious until Piccolo dies. Then Tenshinhan can get back up and just Tri-Beam him to a draw.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Gokuden wrote:It was the only death in the series that didn't fit to me. Yamcha in DragonBall was cold and calculating, and when we reached the Saiyan Arc in Z, it seems like he's this loose frat student that's so full of himself, and can barely forsee that turning your back on the opponent (One of the first rules in any martial arts practice) is never a good idea. Maybe his death was to teach kids not to turn their backs on the aggressor?

I don't know, but I feel this character had way more potential. Though, the way he was laying there, on the ground, it spoke to me, I felt so bad, I think I even cried when I first saw him like this.
It's funny, a lot of people talk about how characters changed quite quickly... Vegeta for example, and now Yamucha..

But I can't say I have ever seen anyone complain about how quickly Piccolo changed. One episode he's still the bad guy, the next he's helping the Z warriors.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
Gokuden wrote:It was the only death in the series that didn't fit to me. Yamcha in DragonBall was cold and calculating, and when we reached the Saiyan Arc in Z, it seems like he's this loose frat student that's so full of himself, and can barely forsee that turning your back on the opponent (One of the first rules in any martial arts practice) is never a good idea. Maybe his death was to teach kids not to turn their backs on the aggressor?

It's funny, a lot of people talk about how characters changed quite quickly... Vegeta for example, and now Yamucha..

But I can't say I have ever seen anyone complain about how quickly Piccolo changed. One episode he's still the bad guy, the next he's helping the Z warriors.
Raditz scared him to death.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Kid Buu wrote:It seems Toriyama had no idea what to do with Yamcha and Tenshinhan here; Toriyama basically just sacked them out of convenience.
Kuririn on the films was basically a useless character that'd just be there to be knocked out with one punch/kick and I don't even remember them being comical, it was more disappointing than anything else.

He was great and funny in Dragon Ball but then he became as pointless as Yamucha & Ten. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 pm

LordCrumb wrote:

You could argue that even as a child, Piccolo wasn't inherently evil like his 'father', he was actually awkward, and even helped an old couple. However, as junior kept replaying the memories of his 'father' vs Goku he became gradually bitter. And growing up alone made human emotions like 'love' difficult, as well as friendships impossible. His sole focus in life was to defeat Goku.

Having spared his life, junior was at a loss, but retained his resolve to kill Goku.

And, unlike other enemies in the series, junior also had the privilege of killing Goku, a promise which he made to honour himself, or 'father'. What happened after that short satisfaction of killing Goku? What became of his demeanor, he realized nothing good had come of it, and he would be grilled in a year with saiyan reinforcements on the way.

Not knowing how to act civilized, Majunior, in typical primitive fashion, stole Gohan to harness the potential of the lad, and who may be --- according to him, ''his biggest enemy yet''.

After spending some time bonding with Gohan, he learned who Goku was through him, and even states that Gohan was the first person to teach him about friendship, love, he then thanked him and cried. That was the pivotal moment for the viewers to realize why Junior changed, and why he had become a caring individual.

If you raise a baby with image of hate in the head, the baby will be hateful as a result, same thing applies to real life. Piccolo jr. himself is but a child.

Junior is around the same age as Gohan, let's not forget that Junior is way younger than Goku.

So you have two reasons to chalk-down why Piccolo jr. changed:
1. Killing Goku, and honouring his father's promised helped settle his raging heart.
2. Character development due to the humanization of his character via the friendship of a kid his age.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:17 pm

Well, Yamcha thought he could beat Shen even though even a blind man can see that he's losing.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:31 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Well, Yamcha thought he could beat Shen even though even a blind man can see that he's losing.
You may call me présomptueux, but if I saw Shen, I would think I could beat him as well. That was sly thing for Kami, the guardian of the Earth to do. I'm sure it weighed in on the situation too. :D
This man is my hero:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 am

Gohan has a similar posture when Gotenks Buu knocks him out; that guy really is Yamcha 2.0.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Gokuden wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

You may call me présomptueux, but if I saw Shen, I would think I could beat him as well. That was sly thing for Kami, the guardian of the Earth to do. I'm sure it weighed in on the situation too. :D
At first sight I can understand doubting Shen but when the guy is practically playing paddy cake with your signature move then you gotta know to fight for real.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.