TV Recordings

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

TV Recordings

Post by DBGod » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Were you old enough to have recorded the series? How did you record it and what motivated you to do so? What station did you record it from and what dub did you record? How many episodes or movies did you record? Share you're story and let the nostalgia do the talking ;)
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

Ajay

Re: TV Recordings

Post by Ajay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:42 pm

My entire childhood was all Dragon Ball and I actually met my best friend through recording the show so this is a pretty special memory to me.

I was obsessed and would talk about the show all the time. This guy in my class had been given a Dragon Ball pencil case as a gift but he'd never seen the show so when I asked him about it, he had no clue whatsoever.

I offered to tape some episodes for him since he didn't have Cartoon Network to watch it himself. So, pretty much every day for many months involved me recording the Ocean/Westwood dub for him and we'd talk about it after he watched it.

Good memories came from that show.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:12 pm

I pretty much started off watching/recording Toonami when DBZ first aired and I still have a-lot of full broadcast tapes of it from back in the day. and I have been recording Toonami again since it started back around 2012?(Not every single airing but a-lot!) I got to record the first episode of it's return and I have lots of full broadcasts of the new Toonami stuff. I actually didn't know they still made blank VHS tapes there for a while until I found them at the dollar store. so even now I'll pick them up when I see them and record Toonami and date it and box it up with the others. lol no reason for doing it just want too. If Dragonball Kai Boo saga airs on Toonami then you can bet your bottom dollar, I'll be recording each airing. lol also when I was a kid I would go to this mom and pop video store and I became friends with this guy in there and he had acquired Fusion Reborn before it came here and gave me a copy which has this intro that has never been included in any release that I know of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtQVM1nmKk
Don't get me talking on this stuff buddy. I'll talk ya to death LOL :lol:

Edit - Also someone on Cartoon world forum(No longer exists but the new site Kametsu I THINK! brought over all their old stuff) But. There was a guy on there that hooked me up with Toonami the midnight special edition. this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-4hvJ0_mQ
I think his name was Dark something? lol but it's another full broadcast that I acquired and recorded off and I have made full broadcast home-brews.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:53 pm

I recorded it off of Cartoon Network. The English dub. With the Faulconer music. And the inaccurate scripts. And the horrendous voice acting. Taped it. Rewatched it. A week's worth of episodes marathoned at the end of the week, then recorded over with the next week's, unless they were particularly good, in which case a new tape was used. I probably still have some of those tapes lying around.

Yeah, even when I knew better, I was watching and taping the Toonami broadcast version. It sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it. I think eventually I just got sick of how they were treating the show and just stopped watching DBZ altogether for a while. It didn't help that I didn't have a DVD player until well into 2002 and by then I wasn't interested in DBZ so much at the time.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Funny story about that Penguintruth, I didn't own a DVD player for a long while either. When the movie ''O brother where art thou'' came out was when we first got ours and the DVD player was behind glass and the DVDs were as well haha :lol: I remember the lady at Walmart was saying this ''This is a DVD player and here are the DVDs'' hahahaha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:56 am

I unfortunately only ever recorded one episode of the show on VHS back in 2001 or 2002. It was a broadcast of the westwood Ocean dub and the episode in particular was the start of the Cell games with Goku saying goodbye to Chichi and Herc­ule arriving at the arena.

Unfortunately I lost all my VHS tapes years ago from moving country so it's long gone now.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:30 am

I probably should have been recording the International Channel broadcasts of the Japanese versions. But I think the VCR didn't tape off of certain channels that well.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 am

penguintruth wrote:I probably should have been recording the International Channel broadcasts of the Japanese versions. But I think the VCR didn't tape off of certain channels that well.
You didn't know you could have gotten a piece of tape to cover the little black square on a VHS tape? When channels gave me trouble like that I would just pull off the little black piece, stick a piece of paper in it and tape it. that almost always stopped problems for me.

Edit - Even now when I record Toonami if I don't cover that black square when I record off TV, I won't get audio that's loud. doing that fixes it.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:40 am

I never recorded it. I'd come home and watch Arthur and then Toonami in the front room while my ma sat in the kitchen watching Beverly Hills 90210 or Melrose Place.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:11 am

Did anyone ever record the 2005 Ultimate Uncut runs on Cartoon Network?
I'm pretty curious as to what the ending looked like for that. I know the song is Summon Up The Dragon that's on the Season Sets, but I heard the animation's different.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:26 am

When I was young, I didn't have cable. My grandpa would record Cartoon Network for me, and this was around the time that the Ultimate Uncut editions started running. According to him, he sent a tape with a marathon of it to my mom, who judged the show by the opening sequence, too "creepy" for me, and told my grandpa to never record it. But my grandpa, who loves to tick people off to this very day, went and bought all the figures that were in the Burger King kid's meal, which she threw out just as I was getting into the series. :cry:
Last edited by dodge2461 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:04 am

I've recorded several episodes on Toonami. I remember recording the Ginyu saga reruns and some of the fights with Frieza in his 2nd form that was around 2003 or so. When Toonami had the Best of Buu week I recorded episodes from that week. For the original Dragon Ball I recorded the fight with Jackie Chun and Goku. I also wanted to record the King Piccolo stuff so I got a few blank tapes to record it's premiere which I did but I wouldn't record again til the fight with Goku & Piccolo at the 23rd Martial arts tournament. The most interesting recording I got was the GT special that aired on the International channel I believe. It was raw with no subtitles and it was split in half but I still taped it lol (first time I ever saw it!)

At the time I thought I'd never own every tape or DVD of Dragon Ball/Z/GT so the next best thing was to record! I even made my own slipcovers for those tapes I sort of took Funimation's cover designs for DBGT and went with it. Complete with spine image, I thought it was the coolest thing ever but yeah those were middle school drawings. :wink: I might have one or 2 tapes of those recordings complete with the Toonami intros and all that good stuff around.
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:27 am

Man, this topic takes me way back.

I had been into Dragon Ball for a while and had watched the reruns of Saiyan through Frieza saga countless times until a few years later they finally started airing the Garlic Jr. Stuff on Saturday mornings. I started taping when they came around to the Trunks stuff. I would tape the new episodes in the afternoon, and then I'd sit up all night and catch the late night airing which was starting over with the Saiyan Arc. I paused the recording on all the commercials to make it as pro of a recording as I could manage with a VCR. All during this time I had heard about the Japanese version, but subs were hard to come by where I was. Then I discovered FUNimation was putting everything out uncut on VHS and this started my collection.

Slightly off topic but I'm in memory lane mode, I came across a "complete" set of the franchise of subs on CD somewhere in the middle of the taping of the show and buying VHS. I had gone way ahead and watched as many of the episodes that weren't corrupt files (they were all on CDs) and saw the Cell arc. I had two or three friends at middle school that didn't realize the show was from Japan so I predicted each episode for about a week. One of them finally asked how I knew what was going to happen and I explained about the original version.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:55 am

I recorded Dragonball Z from very early on (VHS), once I knew how much I loved it. Being from the UK, it was on Cartoon Network (and CNX later on) and it was the Ocean Dub. I think the reason I was so keen to record them was because I never thought they'd be released on DVD in the UK. They are out now, but it sure took a lot of time! Anyway I'd imported them all by then anyway!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:23 am

DBGod wrote:Were you old enough to have recorded the series? How did you record it and what motivated you to do so? What station did you record it from and what dub did you record? How many episodes or movies did you record? Share you're story and let the nostalgia do the talking ;)
I got my grandmother to record the french dub off TF1 when it was aired there during the mid 90's, and later I recorded myself from TMC Montecarlo. I actually also found someone online from the states that recorded episodes aired on cartoon network and sent them in snail mail to me ^^; Got the 70 first episodes or something like that.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Did anyone ever record the 2005 Ultimate Uncut runs on Cartoon Network?
I'm pretty curious as to what the ending looked like for that. I know the song is Summon Up The Dragon that's on the Season Sets, but I heard the animation's different.
Here is the ending to the ultimate uncut release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WqkQiHxkA
I probably did record a few full broadcasts back in the day but it'd take me forever to go through them all and watch them lol if anything if I don't have many full broadcasts I know for a fact that I have an episode recorded here or there. plus my DVD of it lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 pm

I used to record particularly on two specific tapes along with some eps of Pokemon during its first season. Did record during season 3 when I wasn't home yet to watch later. Back during CN showing the first 2 seasons for the last time, recorded as much as I could that I didn't have on official videos to have them, though I would record over the next episode preview if said episode was right after it. Taped the premiere of "Tree of Might" on CN too.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I used to record particularly on two specific tapes along with some eps of Pokemon during its first season. Did record during season 3 when I wasn't home yet to watch later. Back during CN showing the first 2 seasons for the last time, recorded as much as I could that I didn't have on official videos to have them, though I would record over the next episode preview if said episode was right after it. Taped the premiere of "Tree of Might" on CN too.
Same. :D It's so awesome reading stories about how when people got home from school they watched Toonami or they recorded it on VHS if they wasn't going to be able to make it in time. haha I also recorded Tree of Might as well! :D
I wished I was smart enough to record the full broadcasts of the garlic jr saga marathon on Toonami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Yiu_6XNpo
Also I wish I would have recorded when Toonami and KidsWb mixed together for like a week or so and they aired DBZ on it. sure would have been nice. :( :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2vOiqeJmvc
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:Did anyone ever record the 2005 Ultimate Uncut runs on Cartoon Network?
Here is the ending to the ultimate uncut release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WqkQiHxkA
I probably did record a few full broadcasts back in the day but it'd take me forever to go through them all and watch them lol if anything if I don't have many full broadcasts I know for a fact that I have an episode recorded here or there. plus my DVD of it lol
OK, so that ending also had the red tint to it like the opening. It seems shorter, though. The one on the season sets is normal anime length. That makes me wonder where the longer version came from.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:42 pm

The UUC DVDs have a full version of this ending on their English track angle, as well as a version of the opening featured on TV extended to Cha-La's length. You're not missing much.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]